Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

retalivity wrote: »
    I applied from Ireland last year, but had lived in Korea in 2009/2010. I put in a request for a police cert from there, as youre supposedly required to provide one from each country youve lived in for more than 1 year in the past 5 (iirc). However, it took so long to be sent out to me, that I just applied without it with the caveat that i could provide it at a later date if needed. Got the visa eventually after a couple of weeks, was never asked for proof of the korean police cert at all.

No idea about vancouver at all.
    There a fair few forms to fill out, nothing crazy though.
    Will probably be able to apply again shortly after the new year.

There was a few posters l;ast year who applied from places like oz & nz (i think), have a look through the threads and see if anything shows up, or maybe they'll be back to respond here

Thanks relativity.

Would like to move to Vancouver but my girlfriend and I are very anxious about going there and spending the savings we'll have made in Korea on setting ourselves up in Vancouver only to not be able to find a job.

Decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 doherta5

Canada calls out for thousands of Irish workers to fill job vacancies

This article makes it sound like the streets are paved with gold! I've heard it's not as easy as it once was to find work straight away, is that true?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 stratman90

Hi Doherta,

My girlfriend and I have been in Canmore now for a week and have applied for approx 10 jobs and only 1 has gotten back to say they've filled the position. I know its only been a week and that I should give it more time but we came out with the presumption that everywhere was mad hiring for the ski-season.
    We've been told that its better to hit the streets with a resume and actually talk to employers, we did this a for a day or two and didn't get to speak to the boss once, just an employee who always took the resume and "passed it on". The main problem we've faced is that we couldn't get a mobile phone number until our SIN had cleared its credit checks which takes a week (hopefully we'll get one today!). This meant that employers would have to contact us through email only, a possible barrier to entry.
    I would say try your hardest to get something before you come over because at the minute its a long waiting game...
    Sorry to be a downer but I just wish someone had of told me before I came out! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

stratman90 wrote: »
    Hi Doherta,

My girlfriend and I have been in Canmore now for a week and have applied for approx 10 jobs and only 1 has gotten back to say they've filled the position. I know its only been a week and that I should give it more time but we came out with the presumption that everywhere was mad hiring for the ski-season.
    We've been told that its better to hit the streets with a resume and actually talk to employers, we did this a for a day or two and didn't get to speak to the boss once, just an employee who always took the resume and "passed it on". The main problem we've faced is that we couldn't get a mobile phone number until our SIN had cleared its credit checks which takes a week (hopefully we'll get one today!). This meant that employers would have to contact us through email only, a possible barrier to entry.
    I would say try your hardest to get something before you come over because at the minute its a long waiting game...
    Sorry to be a downer but I just wish someone had of told me before I came out! :)

Whats this now? I got a mobile weeks before I bothered sorting out my SIN...this is the first i've heard anyone having to go through this...trying to get a job without a contact number will be next to impossible..

• Registered Users Posts: 11 stratman90

Really?! Crap, we asked in The Source, it was like $40 for a pay-as-you-go sim and the rates were crazy. So we opted for a month-to-month contract (you can cancel at a months notice) and the woman said we would have to wait until 1 week after we got our SIN numbers because then all the checks are completed. Flip sake if I had of known I could have gotten one by now I would have. Thanks for the heads up dude :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 doherta5

Has anyone tried to transfer their Irish driver's licence to Canada? I hear they make you do the whole theory and lessons and practical test again, is this true? Thinking of transferring it up north before I go as I'm certain it's a straight swap with UK licences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 thebeats

doherta5 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried to transfer their Irish driver's licence to Canada? I hear they make you do the whole theory and lessons and practical test again, is this true? Thinking of transferring it up north before I go as I'm certain it's a straight swap with UK licences.

In BC, it's true you have to do the whole theory and lessons and practical test again. However, you can drive for 6 months on your Irish licence, then leave the province, and drive for another 6 months - this is what we were told by ICBC. If your staying for a long time it's probably worth it to transfer your licence over.
    Also, bring copies of your no claims bonuses/evidence of being insured from Ireland as they will give you a discount on insurance here if you have them.

stratman90 wrote: »
    Really?! Crap, we asked in The Source, it was like $40 for a pay-as-you-go sim and the rates were crazy. So we opted for a month-to-month contract (you can cancel at a months notice) and the woman said we would have to wait until 1 week after we got our SIN numbers because then all the checks are completed. Flip sake if I had of known I could have gotten one by now I would have. Thanks for the heads up dude :)

yeah we signed up with Fido about 2 days after getting here...1 year contract, $35 a month (with free calls + international texts) and free blackberry thrown in...all we needed was passport and credit card...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 zizuzid

Yes, that's correct. Getting a UK license is the best way if you don't want to take Knowledge test and driving test again. If you cannot do this, then none to worry as standard of driving is woeful here and it's not hard pass a test :)

More info on driving license:
    http://www.moving2vancouver.ca/essentials/drivers-license/

This website is designed to make moving to Vancouver easy but compiling all the relevant information in one place. We're now helping people find work as we've built strong contacts across the Irish community.

http://www.moving2vancouver.ca/

There is massive demand for engineers in Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Fort MacMurray, etc at the moment and we can put you in touch with people to help

Ruairi

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Galwaaygirl

thebeats wrote: »

In BC, it's true you have to do the whole theory and lessons and practical test again. However, you can drive for 6 months on your Irish licence, then leave the province, and drive for another 6 months - this is what we were told by ICBC. If your staying for a long time it's probably worth it to transfer your licence over.
    Also, bring copies of your no claims bonuses/evidence of being insured from Ireland as they will give you a discount on insurance here if you have them.

Bring copies of everything! For Ontario though, you must have a letter from your local county council stating how long you've had your full licence for and that it has nt been suspended.
    Also the time allowed for driving on your irish license is just 60 days so don't even go to the drive ontario office until you're ready to do your highway test. Getting a G1, which is a provisional negates the use of your out of country license.
    I just did my highway test but insurance in TO is mental so won't be getting a car for awhile!!
    Move close to a subway station for the first while!
    Oh and we did a few lessons. PM if you need an instructor. He charged us $145 for two lessons and to use his car for the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Tiv

Hi everbody glad I found this great thread. I am planning on getting the visa and going next october. Currently studying a masters in accounting and hold a 2.1 honours degree in Accounting. How are my chances of finding employment with these qualifactions in Toronto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

any experience? would be an asset...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Tiv

No experience in the accounting field as my attempys yo get part time work in an accounting office have been unsuccessful. I have worked in construction in Ireland and New york during my summers but would like to get into a Finance career when i complete the masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eamog1888

folks how is everyone getting on over there??.

i have had a 1yr visa since FEB and i am in a job i hate so thinking of just packing up and heading to Toronto in the new year..i am a little hesitent as i am on my own and i keep seeing threads with people disappointed with the working opportunities and also the cost of living being on par or higher than Dublin....

what is the manufacturing/engineering sector like?

any advise would be appreciated...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jeff33

Hi uncle,

I don't think you need to have a return flight booked. As I came out on my first u35 Visa from Shannon in July & I came out on a one way flight & nothing was said. I could have got away with not having travel insurance also as Immigration checked nothing only my u35 Permit.

Hi guys,

A few questions in relation to renewing an Irish Passport from Canada. I'm currently out in Toronto on my first year of the u35 Visa. The Visa expires in July 2012. My current Irish Passport expires in June 2013. The question is If Im applying for the second year in January, it states that your Passport must have the full term of your stay in Canada. So I would be short by a month in 2013. So I want to apply for the Passport to cover myself. Can you renew an Irish Passport 16months before it expires? And I think you have to send your old passport back to get your new one renwed, but my Working Visa is stapled into the Passport & stamped. Could I pull it out & send off my Passport?

Appreciate any advice?

Jeff. Toronto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

You can renew you passport before it expires, I renewed mine 13 months before it expired because it would have expired while I was in Canada. Can't help you with the rest, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 minnow1

Jeff33, how did you manage getting the second year visa while still in Canada - hoping to do the very same myself, but wondering how to get around the "must be resident in Ireland for 3 years prior to applying for the visa" bit..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭luluslollypop

Hey guys- room becoming available at the end of Dec!! 4 of us moved here and rented a room in Kitsilano, one is now returning home and we love her room to be filled with another Irish person if possible. We are a couple and another guy living in a 4 bed, 2 bath house!! $590 all inc (internet, tv, elec, heating etc.) This area is amazing, living in the heart of Vancouver without being downtown ( but Downtown is only like 15minutes away) - about 10 buses within walking distance that will take you anywhere!!! Love to here from anyone who is interested!!!! Louise!!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭luluslollypop

Hey guys- room becoming available at the end of Dec!! 4 of us moved here and rented a room in Kitsilano, one is now returning home and we love her room to be filled with another Irish person if possible. We are a couple and another guy living in a 4 bed, 2 bath house!! $590 all inc (internet, tv, elec, heating etc.) This area is amazing, living in the heart of Vancouver without being downtown ( but Downtown is only like 15minutes away) - about 10 buses within walking distance that will take you anywhere!!! Love to here from anyone who is interested!!!! Louise!!!!smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 willbh

Hey guys, 26y/o Irish guy here, currently living in Edinburgh but moving to Vancouver 23rd April. Just wondering if anybody is heading over around the same time and would be interested in looking for a flat/house share.

Hi Minnow,

I'm not on my second Visa yet, will be applying for it in January. But you can apply for the Second Year Canadian Visa eventhough you have lived out here for the past 12 months. You need to have 3 years permanent residency in the last 5 in Ireland. Thats what I gather, otherwise how do all the second year applicants get their visas?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Teebco

Hi,
    Just got the email with the bits and pieces about applying for the IEC visa.
    I'm in Toronto already on my first one. I didnt have to get a police cert from Australia and NZ last year but it now says on the instructions that I need one this time around.

Has anyone applied for police cert from Oz or NZ previously and what was the time frame, could you email them etc etc.

It's 10 years since I lived in Australia. I can hardly remember my address over there :(

Sounds like a mistake to be honest - from the FAQ

I have spent more than six months in another country previously to applying to the IEC. Do I need to submit police certification from this country?

Generally, you are only required to submit a police certificate from the country of which you are a citizen. However, the Visa Section at the High Commission of Canada to the UK reserves the right to ask for police certificates from other countries you have visited or resided in for more than six (6) months over the last five (5) years, should it be deemed necessary.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/faq.aspx?view=d#Eligibility

Initially last year they had the requirement as mandatory (i.e. you needed a police cert from every country you lived in for more than 6 months) and then it was changed as above...and it only applies to the last 5 years anyway :)

Well this is the current guidelines....so a bit worried about it.

Note: If you have lived in a country other than Canada for a period of more than six months since your eighteenth birthday, you must also enclose a valid police certificate from that country. Information on how to obtain police certificates from various countries can be found on CIC's website.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cmac8

Have the above problem. Thinking of heading to Canada for the first time but was in Oz over 4 years ago. Wondering do i just leave that out on my application form because dont have a clue how to get a police cert and with the applications for visas coming up shortly, doubt i would have it on time

Teebco wrote: »
    Well this is the current guidelines....so a bit worried about it.

Note: If you have lived in a country other than Canada for a period of more than six months since your eighteenth birthday, you must also enclose a valid police certificate from that country. Information on how to obtain police certificates from various countries can be found on CIC's website.

Guidelines from who? USIT or the IEC themselves? Even last year Usit were harping on that you would need police certs from every country even when IEC had changed the rules so that you only need one from Ireland...I know as I would have had to get a few police certs including an OZ one which requires finger prints and a minimum of a month wait...

I took that directly from the IEC website.
    I got the general email from them advising of the new visa pool opening shortly and that was in the guidelines.

Teebco wrote: »
    I took that directly from the IEC website.
    I got the general email from them advising of the new visa pool opening shortly and that was in the guidelines.

Can you link to that on the IEC website? Those guidelines are different ot the link above that I posted from the IEC website...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

How would they know if you've lived outside of Ireland for more than 6 months?

Advertisement