Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

kraggy wrote: »
    How would they know if you've lived outside of Ireland for more than 6 months?

The IEC are known to work closely with the CIA...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

How would they know if you've lived outside of Ireland for more than 6 months?
    Stamps on your passport could give it away. If you have renewed it since they won't know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Stamps on your passport could give it away. If you have renewed it since they won't know

But do you have to send a copy of every page of your passport to Paris or just the photo page? Cause they give you the LOI before you get to Canada.

Got good news anyway. Korean police check can be done while you wait here in Seoul so that's a relief.

But do you have to send a copy of every page of your passport to Paris or just the photo page? Cause they give you the LOI before you get to Canada.

Got good news anyway. Korean police check can be done while you wait here in Seoul so that's a relief.

So you'd rather get rejected at the border as opposed to upfront during the application process? I think that would be alot more hassle and a complete waste o cash...not to mention the 3 year exclusion...and the fact you would have to declare that everytime you apply for a visa anywhere else (and would probably also rule you out of any permanent visa application process)

As with all applications you can provide false information if you want...whether thats something you're willing to risk is competely up to yourself...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

kraggy:

I lived in Korea in 2009-2010, and applied for the IEC last year at home. I was told that I needed a korean police background check, whcih i requested from the embassy in dublin (takes 3 months). In the interim, i was told that i could submit my application without the korean background check, on the basis that I could provide it at a later date if requested.
    I was never asked for the korean background check before getting my LOI & in fact, my korean criminal check arrived at my home in Ireland the week after I had left for Canada. Still never been asked for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Teebco

You have to submit your resume/cv and presumably if you lived abroad then you are going to have work related to that period on your cv.

FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    Can you link to that on the IEC website? Those guidelines are different ot the link above that I posted from the IEC website...

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/application_guide-guide_demande.aspx?view=d

So you'd rather get rejected at the border as opposed to upfront during the application process? I think that would be alot more hassle and a complete waste o cash...not to mention the 3 year exclusion...and the fact you would have to declare that everytime you apply for a visa anywhere else (and would probably also rule you out of any permanent visa application process)

As with all applications you can provide false information if you want...whether thats something you're willing to risk is competely up to yourself...

Eh, I never I said that I was going to lie. It was a general question about how these things work. I even said in my post that I'm getting my police check here in Korea.

:confused:

retalivity wrote: »
    kraggy:

I lived in Korea in 2009-2010, and applied for the IEC last year at home. I was told that I needed a korean police background check, whcih i requested from the embassy in dublin (takes 3 months). In the interim, i was told that i could submit my application without the korean background check, on the basis that I could provide it at a later date if requested.
    I was never asked for the korean background check before getting my LOI & in fact, my korean criminal check arrived at my home in Ireland the week after I had left for Canada. Still never been asked for it.

Thanks Reetalivity.

Going to get it from my local station here in the next week or two. It's very quick if you actually live in Korea at the time of application. Same day process.

That must have been a bit of a panic for you when you found out that they take 3 months from the embassy!

• Advertisement

yeah i was worried id have to wait for that to come through, but go it sorted anyway.
    although, im trying to get my garda clearance again for my 2nd year now, my dad went into the garda station to request it for me, and theyre asking for my korean address (?????). bunch of muppets, theyve no process or system, it all depends on who you talk to when youre there and whether they actually know what do, otherwise you just get pawned off with some excuse or to do something completely irrelevant

Eh, I never I said that I was going to lie. It was a general question about how these things work. I even said in my post that I'm getting my police check here in Korea.

:confused:

Sorry, was just a general response to your question and not directly aimed at you

- your post questioned how they would know if you lived abroad for more than 6 months (and thus implying you would not need police certs) and that once you have you're LOI that it wouldnt matter either way - its correct you only send the photo page of your passport with your application...howerver, there is nothing to stop an immigration officer checking the other pages on entry...all I was saying was that LOI or no LOI that this could be very risky as you can still be rejected at the border if your application was not 100% truthful...an incure an exclusion period...

Again, my point stands - if my application was to be rejected I would rather it be during the LOI process rather than at the border...

Sorry, was just a general response to your question and not directly aimed at you

- your post questioned how they would know if you lived abroad for more than 6 months (and thus implying you would not need police certs) and that once you have you're LOI that it wouldnt matter either way - its correct you only send the photo page of your passport with your application...howerver, there is nothing to stop an immigration officer checking the other pages on entry...all I was saying was that LOI or no LOI that this could be very risky as you can still be rejected at the border if your application was not 100% truthful...an incure an exclusion period...

Again, my point stands - if my application was to be rejected I would rather it be during the LOI process rather than at the border...

Cool.

Yeah true that. Would be terrible to arrive in Canada only to turned away again. Not to mentin a waste of time and money.

Has anyone emailed the IEC? How long did it take for them to reply?

I emailed them on Monday and still no response. And they say you can't ring them either. My questions are kind of urgent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭djburchgrove

Hey Guys,

moving to Toronto in January with 2 others. We are looking to rent a 3 bed straight away. Will it be a huge problem that we dont have jobs at the time of renting? What we will have is semi-plenty of cash in the bank, good references, Irish Credit Checks. I know each landlord is different, but what did people find in general?

Will we need to sublet a place for a month or 2 first? Or will we need to stay in a hostel til we get jobs? Or will we need to just be lucky and find a nice landlord?

Any help appreciated! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cmac8

If you have a new passport and no stamps from a country, how would they actually know if you lived there for a certain period. I know you have to send in your CV but surely you can just ommit your work experience from that country.

I understand people saying that you should just do it and avoid any potential hassle but realistically is there any way of them knowing that you lived somewhere else other than your cv and stamps on the passport?

Getting the police check is going to cost around 200 euros with finger prints and sending off applications and its a cost id rather not pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

cmac8 wrote: »
    If you have a new passport and no stamps from a country, how would they actually know if you lived there for a certain period. I know you have to send in your CV but surely you can just ommit your work experience from that country.

I understand people saying that you should just do it and avoid any potential hassle but realistically is there any way of them knowing that you lived somewhere else other than your cv and stamps on the passport?

Getting the police check is going to cost around 200 euros with finger prints and sending off applications and its a cost id rather not pay.

There's really no way of them knowing

Another question - I'm on my first IEC and applying for second.

There is a section in the form which asks if you have secured employment.
    I have a permanent job over here.

But when I try to put in my start date (July 2011) it's not accepting it, saying it must be a date in the future.

Is anyone else in this situation? Are you mentioning if you're currently working etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

eamog1888 wrote: »
    folks how is everyone getting on over there??.

i have had a 1yr visa since FEB and i am in a job i hate so thinking of just packing up and heading to Toronto in the new year..i am a little hesitent as i am on my own and i keep seeing threads with people disappointed with the working opportunities and also the cost of living being on par or higher than Dublin....

what is the manufacturing/engineering sector like?

any advise would be appreciated...:)

My adice would be to avoid Toronto, but I don't live there so that's just my opinion. Manufacturing is not huge in Canada in general, but Engineering and Construction is much better in Western Canada. So if you're not dead set on Toronto, have a look at Alberta - Calgary and Edmonton especially. Thats where the decent money is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

stratman90 wrote: »
    Really?! Crap, we asked in The Source, it was like $40 for a pay-as-you-go sim and the rates were crazy. So we opted for a month-to-month contract (you can cancel at a months notice) and the woman said we would have to wait until 1 week after we got our SIN numbers because then all the checks are completed. Flip sake if I had of known I could have gotten one by now I would have. Thanks for the heads up dude :)

I manage a Source store over here now. They lied to you. Consider most electronics stores in Canada like a used car lot. Everyone is making commission on their sales (like Harvey Norman), they make more money if you sign a contract than if you go prepaid. In fact they make no money if you go prepaid, but it still takes up just as much of their time to set you up.

So some sales people will just outright lie about prepaid and it's costs to get you onto a contract. Even a 30 day will put another $15 in their pockets.

You can get some pretty decent rates on prepaid and you don't need any ID or papers. 5 minutes off the plane you could have a cell number with some pretty nice features to keep your costs down.

If anyone else here gets fed a line about prepaid in Canada being too expensive and to come back later to sign a 30 day or 1 year contract just Karl Pilkington their ass: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lRIQGU2RRk
    yeah we signed up with Fido about 2 days after getting here...1 year contract, $35 a month (with free calls + international texts) and free blackberry thrown in...all we needed was passport and credit card...

What Fido did is illegal. It happens though. I've had to pull my guys up on it a few times. Valid ID for a cellular contract has to be a Canadian Passport (or CA government issued photo ID), a SIN card or a Canadian Credit Card.

If the person doesn't have AT LEAST two of those they can't sign a cellular contract (international CC don't count either)

However, as a percentage of their paycheck relies on you signing a contract it is a conflict of interests. I've seen my guys trying to push through a cellular contract on merely the person writing their SIN on a scrap of paper and had to stop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

L31mr0d wrote: »
    What Fido did is illegal. It happens though. I've had to pull my guys up on it a few times. Valid ID for a cellular contract has to be a Canadian Passport (or CA government issued photo ID), a SIN card or a Canadian Credit Card.

If the person doesn't have AT LEAST two of those they can't sign a cellular contract (international CC don't count either)

So my Virgin contract is void as I only would have given them my SIN number? I can just walk away from it at anytime if I can find a better deal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

So my Virgin contract is void as I only would have given them my SIN number? I can just walk away from it at anytime if I can find a better deal?

I'm not really sure how that would work, but you may be correct. You'll need to prove however that the person who set you up on Virgin didn't take any photo ID from you, or that you didn't have any to give at the time.

It's common, most people set up incorrectly like this just set up their contracts as bill pay, then just close their bank accounts and leave the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

doherta5 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried to transfer their Irish driver's licence to Canada? I hear they make you do the whole theory and lessons and practical test again, is this true? Thinking of transferring it up north before I go as I'm certain it's a straight swap with UK licences.

Can you explain as to how you can transfer an Irish licence to the north?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 doherta5

fat__tony wrote: »
    Can you explain as to how you can transfer an Irish licence to the north?

Thanks.

You can exchange your ROI driver's licence for a UK one if you can prove residency in Northern Ireland for between six to 12 months. The Driver and Vehicle Agency is responsible for all driver licensing in NI. You can get info on exchanging the licence here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

For anyone in Australia at the moment, exchange your Irish licence for an Australian one and when you come to Canada you can exchange the Australian one for a Canadian one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 FoosChic

https://www.facebook.com/groups/293814990664354/

Decided to set up a facebook group for anyone who wants to discuss IEC etc...join if interested and we'll see how it goes! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭jimmybeige

Teebco wrote: »

But when I try to put in my start date (July 2011) it's not accepting it, saying it must be a date in the future.

Is anyone else in this situation? Are you mentioning if you're currently working etc??

I have a permanent job but am just going to put "Unknown" in that section. It's really of no added value to go filling it in and just complicates things as far as I can see. I would say that section is more for people who are looking for work permits or other kinds of visas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Teebco wrote: »

you put in "international experience class" in that box, and for a date in the future

doesnt matter if youve got a job there or not, the work permit is an open one and isnt tied to one employer

thats quite apt...
    mods remove?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

retalivity wrote: »
    thats quite apt...
    mods remove?
    Done. Please use the "Report Post" button in future, it alerts all Mods of the forum to the post rather than us having to read every post!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 joanken42

Hey all...was hoping for some help filling out these bloody forms. Ok I'm a qualified social care worker but haven't worked in he sector since qualifying last year. Do I need to get a medical done before sending in my application or do they advise if i need one. I have no job over there and when it ask for prospective employement on the forms I was just going to put "unknown" as per the instruction manual. Can anyone shed light on this? I don't know whether to get it done first or if i dont will they send me back the application and I'll lose my space, so to speak.

Also re: police clearance from Oz. I was on a working holiday visa 2003/2004 and spent some time (3 months) living in Victoria and passed through Queensland. I did not have a drivers licence at the time...does anyone know if I still need to produce evidence that I did not hold an Australian drivers licence (in lieu of traffic history report)???

Would appreciate any input, I've left this so late but goona give it a shot anyways. anyone know if there's a closing date for IEC? thanks in advance

Advertisement