Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Roonbox

have any of you guys sorted out the Police Cert yet??

Just started the process yesterday and to be honest I have absolutely no faith in the system and ill be suprised if I get it back in 4 weeks -

that was a nerve racking 3 hrs today I have to say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭stlongs

Thats the way to do it alright. I'll be doing some of that playing by ear, although I'll have to organise with the cousins as well. What are you doing about the flights and insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Roonbox wrote: »
    have any of you guys sorted out the Police Cert yet??

Just started the process yesterday and to be honest I have absolutely no faith in the system and ill be suprised if I get it back in 4 weeks -

that was a nerve racking 3 hrs today I have to say

Did you have to give much detail on what it should contain?

I was asking a cop about this last year and he said they would need some info on what the cert should contain, as it can differ according to what it is for.

Although they all come from the same place in Tipp, i'm sure they know now what the Canadians expect them to look like / contain.

I just asked for a cert for canadian working visa. Had to give my details, and got it in the post the next week! but my friend is going to China and has been waiting for the cert foe about 2 and a half months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 murphn24

Who did you ring to request the police cert? Could you attach in the phone number if possible?

I only got my visa ref number at 13:20 after trying since 10am this morning. Its a joke! I was only mid 800's as well which I think means there are still a good few left!

Thanks

• Advertisement

I told him it was a working visa for Canada. Apparently it takes less time than one where you need to work with Children etc...

its no going to Thurles - they have another office in dublin aswell - he said it could take 6 weeks - which translates to 2 monthys i reckon -

Murphn24 - you need to go to your local police station with photo ID to apply for a police cert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Elliegab

stlongs wrote: »
    Thats the way to do it alright. I'll be doing some of that playing by ear, although I'll have to organise with the cousins as well. What are you doing about the flights and insurance?

having read through posts here and asked around i think i might have to get my flights with usit and then try and get the insurance elsewhere and then pay the 40 euro admin fee.
    what about yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 lisab22

took like 2 hours to register for d visa this mornin.. bad sign ha everyone obviously has d same idea of gettin outta dis dump of a country, for a while anyway! whats the deal with the police certs? n how do u go about it??

Roonbox wrote: »
    Murphn24 - you need to go to your local police station with photo ID to apply for a police cert

Thanks Roonbox, will get on it!

• Advertisement

Elliegab wrote: »
    having read through posts here and asked around i think i might have to get my flights with usit and then try and get the insurance elsewhere and then pay the 40 euro admin fee.
    what about yourself?

I thought people were saying you could get the flights and insurance yourself and pay the 40 euro admin fee twice to use both!? Is it not possible to get your own flights then do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

murphn24 wrote: »
    I thought people were saying you could get the flights and insurance yourself and pay the 40 euro admin fee twice to use both!? Is it not possible to get your own flights then do you think?

You can indeed get your own flights/insurance - you just need to send the details on each to USIT and the insurance needs to satisfy their requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

jimmypitt wrote: »
    Vancouver without a doubt!! Wouldn't dream of going to the East Coast - don't want to go somewhere with worse weather than here!

It rains quite a bit in Vancouver, doesn't matter what time of year it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 bridie27

yipee!!!!!, got me reference number too, bit freaked with error message on payment but emailed usit and everythings cool.

for the police certs in eire you should just have to go to go to your local staion to get. the uk have a far more straight forward system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭jimmypitt

colin29 wrote: »
    It rains quite a bit in Vancouver, doesn't matter what time of year it is.

True but East Coast is horrendous in the winter and way too humid in the summer. I've heard Vancouver gets nice summers - ill take that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 bridie27

hey,

ye i got sorted too, thank god, i was really worried i wouldnt, couldnt log on for ages!!!;)

hopefully head to toronto and get some youth work/therapautic work over there. anyone know about work in this sector in canada???

celestial wrote: »
    You can indeed get your own flights/insurance - you just need to send the details on each to USIT and the insurance needs to satisfy their requirements.

Thanks Celestial. Delighted that I can try and find my own flights instead of letting USIT dictate everything to me! Hopefully I can make some sort of saving from that arrangement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

murphn24 wrote: »
    Thanks Celestial. Delighted that I can try and find my own flights instead of letting USIT dictate everything to me! Hopefully I can make some sort of saving from that arrangement.

No worries and from what I've learned they may give you the hard sell to book their flights so make sure you stand your ground if you can get cheaper flights elsewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 jasonf

lisab22 wrote: »
    took like 2 hours to register for d visa this mornin.. bad sign ha everyone obviously has d same idea of gettin outta dis dump of a country, for a while anyway! whats the deal with the police certs? n how do u go about it??

hey lisa,. just go to your local garda station, they will print the form from there computer and than they will post it to the main station for the super to sign it,and than hell send it to your house. hole process took a week for me!
    also some cops think you have to go to thurlas for this, this is not the case.!!also free of charge

• Registered Users Posts: 29 hans_moleman

what if you want to travel round the world first before ending up in canada? can you book ur own flights and insurance and then give usit the 40 quid?

• Advertisement

I went into a garda office to get mine. what is everyone doing about flights and insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 karlcox2

delighted myself and the mrs got the visa booked earlier.

if anyone knows of any QS and socail care positions let me know.

see you over there

• Registered Users Posts: 32 achbons

Not too sure where to book flights... I'm thinking of going with USIT's insurance as I haven't really seen anything too much cheaper (will need the snow sports cover etc). But if I do spot cheaper flights than what USIT suggest to me, I will definitely try and book those. Will just have to keep an eye out, I suppose!

By the way, anyone that still needs garda certs and is living in or around Dublin, try go in to your local garda station as soon as possible. Getting mine actually took the full six weeks to come through, and that's only after I called my local station every day for a week to follow up on it! (I actually got mine back in November, thinking they might open the programme in December!) :rolleyes:

karlcox2 wrote: »
    delighted myself and the mrs got the visa booked earlier.

if anyone knows of any QS and socail care positions let me know.

see you over there

QS being Quantity Surveying? That would be awesome, I'd love to be in the building industry except I'm only qualified as a draughtsman...

Elliegab wrote: »
    what about yourself?

I don't really know about the flights, still have to look around for them. For the Insurance I was looking at either Blue Insurance or FYI.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Angelicus_22

Got my visa application thing today, what an ordeal....is anyone else thinking of making Canada a permeant home, id love to emigrate there...but im not sure what the craic is, im hoping to sort some stuff out when i get there...haha claim asylum for the persecutions of an inept government.... but if anyone else was thinking of applying for permeant residency would you let me know what you have found out. cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pk32

celestial wrote: »
    So...with hopefully everyone who applied today getting a visa/confirmation, I thought it'd be good to kick off a thread on the when the what the where....

-Where do you plan to head to in Canada?

-When are ya going?

-What ya plan to do there?

I can start...

-I'm thinking Vancouver or Toronto but would like to check out other smaller places...

-Probably late summer

-Probably look to get a job then travel..

Going to be heading alone cos solo travel is the way forward!!
    im hittn toronto on first travel date possible, solo aswell, hopfully make a few quid, cant wait now

• Registered Users Posts: 32 achbons

Planning to fly into Vancouver, sightsee for a week or two, then actually settle/ job-hunt in Calgary (Alberta). I'm heading over with my boyfriend... depending on savings we'll probably leave in early June!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 HBKLIQ

Hi Guys,

Got mine today for myself and my Girlfriend. We should be in vancover this summer, cant wait. I need to get a police certificate now, what details should i bring into the Garda Station? Anybody going this summer :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tmcl8

Got my visa application thing today, what an ordeal....is anyone else thinking of making Canada a permeant home, id love to emigrate there...but im not sure what the craic is, im hoping to sort some stuff out when i get there...haha claim asylum for the persecutions of an inept government.... but if anyone else was thinking of applying for permeant residency would you let me know what you have found out. cheers.
    Hey, was thinking about making it my permanent home too. I completed the online assesment points thing as well (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/index.asp). I think i will give the year thing a go first tho.

Advertisement