Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Trang

Jesus thats alot for insurance .Got to get saving :(.

yeah usit go way to ott on prices... but thats old news lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lorcanh

I received a reply from USIT regarding whether or not flights have to be booked throught them. Here it is:

If you wish to book your own flights you can do so but we strongly recommend that you purchase your flights with us as all our fares offer great flexibility as you may need to make a change.If you book your own flights you will have to email canada@usit.ie with a copy of your flight details as we need to know your travel plans, once we receive these details you can pay the fee of €40.00. Otherwise if you would like to give me your flight details I can see what is the cheapest ticket that we have an offer?

With regard to the Insurance you can view the levels of cover on our website but if you have any questions please contact me.

Best regards,

So it looks like we're free to book our own flights.

thanks for the info lorcanh....it should save some cash at least!

does anyone know if we have to book a return flight? or will just a one way suffice for now and then get a return home later into the programme? i heard that the canadains at the border will want to see a return flight....but im not so sure about that

You have to have a return flight booked in order to get in to Canada. They need to see evidence that you intend to leave the country within a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Thats different to the email I got...
    We are pleased to inform you that we have received your Work Authorisation Document from the Canadian High Commission. If you have already booked and paid in full for your flights and insurance your documents will be sent to you several weeks before departure. N.B. you must book your flights and insurance with USIT (alternative insurance policies of the same cover levels as USIT's policy may be submitted for evaluation, provided it is done so within the time frames outlined and with accompanying processing fee)

They are charging me 1193 to get to Toronto in the last week in June and it includes, Flights, Tax, Insurance (12mth including winter sports) and a Canadian sim card...:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Was looking at http://www.flyglobespan.com/,they do cheap flights,I wonder if we could use them?

That is strange Skinfull. I received the reply from USIT on 12th May with the reply above. I was quite specific with the original email so I don't think there could have been a misunderstanding.

Just writhing the letter for the police cert.What exactly do I have to put in it.Im putting proff of address and copy of passport .Is there anything else.

gob

Just writhing the letter for the police cert.What exactly do I have to put in it.Im putting proff of address and copy of passport .Is there anything else.

gob

send a copy of your birth cert and the address of where u have lived since turning 18 along with those....thats what was required for mine.

as regards USIT i have emailed them with the query regarding flights. i have been also very specific so i will let u guys know if they give me a similiar answer! its very difficult for them to give a straight forward answer it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 genpaul

hey have you booked your flights with someone else, if so who? just want to be sure we can definatley book with other airlines

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Houls69

hey i have paid for the programme and hope to fly out in august, was quoted 1434 including insurance, i asked if I could just go elsewhere for the flights and the girl never replied!! would we be able to get cheap flights to new york with aerlingus then an internal flight to one of the cities in canada? flights from new york to toronto can be got for around $150 or less, and return flights to new york with aerlingus can be got for under €400 when they have offers on

not to mention a night in NYC.good times

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

This was just an idea I had, in an effort to get the boardsies who are either in Canada or else heading over in the near future to get together in one place and introduce themselves, and get to know each other.

There is currently a discussion underway to try and convince the site admins to create a dedicated Canada sub-forum (see that discussion here), but I thought in the meantime a thread like this would help bring us together, and hopefully increase support for a Canada forum.

As the title says, just come in and say hello, tell us a bit about where you're going and when you're planning to go.

To get things started: My name's Graham and I have just finished college so I've decided to head out west to Vancouver, will be arriving in early September. Hello!

(MODS: Would it be possible to get this thread "stickied" so it catches the attention of all interested parties who are passing through the Living Abroad forum?)

Hi

james going to vancover in in oct or december.Finished college and looking for any work over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Hi

james going to vancover in in oct or december.Finished college and looking for any work over there.

Hi James!

Hi Daryl, I'm just waiting until I get paid next week before booking flights. Have been quoted 884 euro to Vancouver on the 1st of Sept, with Air Canada. Still trying to find the best value insurance. Have you got flights/insurance taken care of yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

ok - I have stickied this thread as requested.

Personally - I feel that this would be far better in the North America forum and if you posted threads there and tried to make a community feel than the forum would become a much better resource for you all.

However, I'm happy to sticky this thread so you can have a chance to see how many posters it attracts. Please bear in mind that this thread is not for discussion of creating a Canada Forum. That is what the forums forum is for - this is only for people moving to Canada to introduce themselves (which, btw there is a similar thread on in this forum about meet-ups before going to Canada). Any posts discussing the creation of a forum will be deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 kod137

Hey Graham, in toronto at the moment, got here about a month ago. Lived in vancouver for the 6 months priort to that. Travelling on my own, but got work here so not too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Nevee13

Hi,

my name is Niamh. I will be going to Canada on the USIT Under-35 Programme in December with the other half.

We've both been to Toronto and really love it but decided to fly into Vancouver to see what we make of it (neither of us have been before)... If we like it there and are happy with the jobs we get, we'll stay. If not, we'll make a holiday out of the Vancouver trip and head over to Toronto to settle, although I think we'd consider other places too provided they had good transport, it was a nice area, wasn't too remote and there were jobs there in both our areas.

Anyway, saying hello to other Canada-bound travellers/ immigrants!
    N.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭NakedMonkey

Hey!

I'm heading on the 8th of September to Toronto for a few hours wait for my flight to Edmonton where I hope to find a job. I've heard it's one of the best places for jobs at the moment so hope all goes well. I know Vancouver and Toronto are pretty much where everybody is heading, but does anybody know of anybody else heading to, or staying in less popular or more remote locations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭c_dog

hey my names colin and im headin over to toronto in january with a friend...... just wonderin if anybody knows what the jobs situation is over there keeping in mind I will work at anything

kod137 wrote: »
    Hey Graham, in toronto at the moment, got here about a month ago. Lived in vancouver for the 6 months priort to that. Travelling on my own, but got work here so not too bad.

Hey kod, I'm heading to Van in September, any advice for me? Actually more importantly, any decent pubs you can recommend? :pac:
    Nevee13 wrote: »
    Hi,

my name is Niamh. I will be going to Canada on the USIT Under-35 Programme in December with the other half.

We've both been to Toronto and really love it but decided to fly into Vancouver to see what we make of it (neither of us have been before)... If we like it there and are happy with the jobs we get, we'll stay. If not, we'll make a holiday out of the Vancouver trip and head over to Toronto to settle, although I think we'd consider other places too provided they had good transport, it was a nice area, wasn't too remote and there were jobs there in both our areas.

Anyway, saying hello to other Canada-bound travellers/ immigrants!
    N.

If you liked Toronto, you'll love Vancouver. Visited both cities a few years back, and Vancouver is definitely my favourite!
    Hey!

I'm heading on the 8th of September to Toronto for a few hours wait for my flight to Edmonton where I hope to find a job. I've heard it's one of the best places for jobs at the moment so hope all goes well. I know Vancouver and Toronto are pretty much where everybody is heading, but does anybody know of anybody else heading to, or staying in less popular or more remote locations?

Good luck in Edmonton, I actually met a guy who was born and raised there when I was out a few weeks ago, he said it was a great spot.

c_dog wrote: »
    hey my names colin and im headin over to toronto in january with a friend...... just wonderin if anybody knows what the jobs situation is over there keeping in mind I will work at anything

Hi Colin, there's a very useful thread here about the work situation in Canada: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055552590

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Hey!

I missed out on the VISA for Canada, was planning on being over there about a month or two ago :o

But am going to reapply and hopefully get over by the end of this year (more than likely in December), but if I don't make it down the waiting list, then I'll be going as soon as possible in 2010, so probably around April I'd imagine (as you can't travel before).

Quick short question to those booking now and those already over there: After USIT expenses, flights, insurance etc., how much on average does the whole thing cost? Before accomodation and spending money?

Thanks,

Nick

Doolins I think is one of the best Irish pubs in Vancouver, its down on Granville street and there's an Irish lad that works there in the back bar, he's pretty sound. There's another two across the road from Doolins, can't remember the name of the irish one, but try the Nelson cafe aswell. Most of the Irish goes to those and to the Frog and firkin for rugby matches on Broadway. Up in UBC, there's Malonys and sons, thats good for Irish matches. Malones on seymour street is good too, and lamplighters (think its near or in Gastown). They're all pretty close to each other with the exception of the frog and malonys but they're only a bus ride away. From downtown you can get the 17ubc bus, it will bring you right outside malonys in ubc or get a bline from broadway. They both also pass the frog and firkin, can't remember the crossing but there's a big IGA Marketplace supermarket across from it so you cant miss it.

Join the ISSC Vancouver when you get there, they're all pretty sound, met some of them when I was there and still have good friends from it. They have gaelic and hurling, but you don't have to play if you don't want to. There's also a soccer team there some where, ask the lads in the ISSC about it, if interested. The ones I know tend to drink in the above named places. A lot of them live either on Commercial drive, Kitsilano or downtown. There's a few pubs/bars on Commercial that are good, and a lot of Irish go to the Wolf and Hound in Kits, its on broadway and alma. Drink is kinda expensive there though.

Thanks for the info kod137,def going to check out those pubs but I m leaving to get away from us :)

Thanks for the info kod137,def going to check out those pubs but I m leaving to get away from us :)

Surely we aren't all that bad, gob_smacked! :pac:

im off to oxegen tomorrow so if i dont get sick of us irish by then I should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Mst

I was quoted EUR1167 for flexible air canada flights but found similar on the air canada website for 500 Eur, I know it includes insurance but still its such a rip off. I dont even need flexible flights because I dont plan to change the return date more than once.

• Advertisement

you say that now, but you'll change your mind when you get there!

Advertisement