Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

the housemate and me are planning on heading over to vancouver in july or august.
    i have a BSc Hons in applied computing but not much experience. not sure if i will be able to get a computer job over there or just go work as a cashier or something like that.

hopefully finding a house shouldnt be too bad, already been looking at stuff on craigslist :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37 karlcox2

stlongs wrote: »
    QS being Quantity Surveying? That would be awesome, I'd love to be in the building industry except I'm only qualified as a draughtsman...

Ye sorry QS being quantity surveyor, unfortunately i came into the game at the wrong time and havent seen the big bucks but hoping canada will change it for me.

Darughtsman, that great job if only DIT had thought me how to use cad instead of how to turn a computer on/off.

Cant wait to go should set up a list of contacts for irish who are going this year and meet up in an irish pub at some stage.

HBKLIQ wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Got mine today for myself and my Girlfriend. We should be in vancover this summer, cant wait. I need to get a police certificate now, what details should i bring into the Garda Station? Anybody going this summer :)

HBKLIQ,

ye im planning on going to vancouver with the mrs this summer, depends on how quickly the funds build up.

All,

Anyone have any idea as to how much much money they will bring. I know theres a minimum but obviously have to bring more than that to set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭jimmypitt

karlcox2 wrote: »
    HBKLIQ,

ye im planning on going to vancouver with the mrs this summer, depends on how quickly the funds build up.

All,

Anyone have any idea as to how much much money they will bring. I know theres a minimum but obviously have to bring more than that to set up.

5K? Could be looking for work for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

Just a point of note is that prices for rent and food have gone up in vancouver in the past few months (i was there visiting my gf... i know!) because of the winter olympics. Im told its much the same in toronto. Prices of rent etc.. are expected to go back down to normal levels later in the year.
    That said 5k sounds like a LOT of money to be bringing over.. thats nearly 7.5k dollars....

Anyway best of luck to one and all. Hopefully i can catch up with the boardsies over there this summer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 lisab22

jasonf wrote: »
    hey lisa,. just go to your local garda station, they will print the form from there computer and than they will post it to the main station for the super to sign it,and than hell send it to your house. hole process took a week for me!
    also some cops think you have to go to thurlas for this, this is not the case.!!also free of charge

cool, thanks for dat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 lisab22

jimmypitt wrote: »

ya 5K seems lik a good amount to have goin over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Elliegab

celestial wrote: »
    No worries and from what I've learned they may give you the hard sell to book their flights so make sure you stand your ground if you can get cheaper flights elsewhere!

yeah i was actually under the impression that people generally weren't able to get around booking their flights with usit last year, but i've had a look at the FAQ and terms and conditions for this year's programme and it doesn't say anything about having to book either flights or insurance with usit. so hopefully people will manage to find a better deal elsewhere!

jimmypitt wrote: »

cheers for that i was hoping to have 10k (€) for me and the mrs for set up and just in case we dont get jobs for a while but hope to have at least a couple interviews set up before we leave.

getting excited already.

Elliegab wrote: »
    yeah i was actually under the impression that people generally weren't able to get around booking their flights with usit last year, but i've had a look at the FAQ and terms and conditions for this year's programme and it doesn't say anything about having to book either flights or insurance with usit. so hopefully people will manage to find a better deal elsewhere!

Ye the rules seemed to have changed alot. now you can travel in through the US (although at your own risk) and hopefully we might be able to use round the world tickets.

Usit prices seem to be pretty extortionate so im gonna look elsewhere. will put up details when i find them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭stlongs

Cant wait to go should set up a list of contacts for irish who are going this year and meet up in an irish pub at some stage.

Yeah, meet up in an Irish pub sounds like a great idea!

Has anybody here got an international driving licence? That could be useful, I was over last year with the family, we were trying to rent a car and it took about an hour with the Irish licence and we nearly didn't get the car. They mentioned the international licence to us then.

Yeah, meet up in an Irish pub sounds like a great idea!

Has anybody here got an international driving licence? That could be useful, I was over last year with the family, we were trying to rent a car and it took about an hour with the Irish licence and we nearly didn't get the car. They mentioned the international licence to us then.

just looking at that myself, if you have full licence you can get international one from AA for €5.08 but it does say its for temporary use and i dont know if a year (although temporary) would be considered so in canada. Theres a post on here about converting your irish licence to UK and that works in canada without having to take test but its seems like hassle.

Right how do we go about setting up contact list for irish in canada, facebook group?? would be great to have contacts over there before we go.

Right how do we go about setting up contact list for irish in canada, facebook group?? would be great to have contacts over there before we go.

Yeah, I'd be up for a facebook group. I wonder how many people here are on facebook.

To Everyone: Who else is up for that?

Yeah, I'd be up for a facebook group. I wonder how many people here are on facebook.

even if you dont have facebook you could set it up just for this purpose would be handiest rather than skype/ text or ??

are many of you going to vancouver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

has anyone gotten an email yet from usit about the application forms ?

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Roonbox

good idea with the facebook group - count me in

Just a point of note is that prices for rent and food have gone up in vancouver in the past few months (i was there visiting my gf... i know!) because of the winter olympics. Im told its much the same in toronto. Prices of rent etc.. are expected to go back down to normal levels later in the year.
    That said 5k sounds like a LOT of money to be bringing over.. thats nearly 7.5k dollars....

Anyway best of luck to one and all. Hopefully i can catch up with the boardsies over there this summer!

Was just throwing it out there as a random figure. If i just moved to Dublin and was unemployed for about 2/3 months, i'd probably need about that amount to survive considering rent, etc. I know Dublin is pricey but you see where i am coming from...If you are looking for work for 2/3 months (which is likely in this climate) then the money won't be long going. On the other you might strike it luck and get a job immediately and not need that amount of cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dublinguy08

I know 35 is the limit, but Im 32 now and feel a bit too old to do this eventhough Id love to. Anyone else here in their 30's?

Count me in. I'd like if someone set up even a bigger website which is more of an exchange of information for people who have just arrived, putting up info regarding areas to live, job wesbites, shops, mobile phone networks, etc. All that kind of jazz. People can just keep adding useful info to it. Basically a website that helps people settle in as quickly as possible and with a good few pointers.

nope nothing yet from them... And believe me I keep checking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭amber23

sure its only been a day, id say we'll hear by the end of the week, its hard not to keep checking though!!

good idea about facebook, count me in! heading to Vancouver i reckon around June, so excited!!

think i'll be getting my own flights too, let me know if any of you find any good deals,dont wana have to give USIT another penny if i dont have to

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭rivermetimbers

i agree amber, USIT have got their blood money for essentially a bad service, so no more for them.
    great idea about the face book page. friend of mine spent last year in toronto and reckons for anyone with even a passing interest in GAA to bring their boots as it is a great social/work getting activity. opens alot of doors, to jobs and pubs lol.

really yeah? wouldnt have known that!

i don't suppose anyone on this can play any trad music? that might also be a good way to get jobs in pubs over there! just a thought...would b a nice way to earn a few quid!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

There's a Facebook page for Vancouver already - just do a search, doesn't seem hugely active though :)

Looks like people are up for it, do you want to set one up?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,165 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Goto track my application

Put in the email address you signed up with and the reference number you got as your password and you will find them :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,165 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I know 35 is the limit, but Im 32 now and feel a bit too old to do this eventhough Id love to. Anyone else here in their 30's?

I will just be turning 30 this year

celestial wrote: »
    There's a Facebook page for Vancouver already - just do a search, doesn't seem hugely active though :)

Maybe set up a new one just for 2010 people...

dublinguy08, im not in my 30's but i dont think 32 is in any way too old to head on a year trip! just my personal opinion but i would hate for you to regret not heading away cause of your age, my mother went back to college in her ly 40's and its the best thing she ever did

i definitely think you should sign up, before you know it you wont be able to head on the programme, if you wana go and you would love to go then go!

i also agree, a new facebook page for 2010 would be great!

• Advertisement

Lets stop talking about a new page and bully someone into setting it up!!

Advertisement