Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,165 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Going over to on my own going to the east coast hopefully around July as i have been to Montreal before for 10 weeks and know people there.

Hopefully get a job and stay there for most of the time then go sight seeing in the west coast about 3 months before visa is up and travel eastwards again over ground

For those who have filled in the forms.

In the additional info part were it asks about Mother and Father did you fill that in or leave it blank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 lisab22

got d email today woo :D. and the police cert is not garda vetting, its a different thing. the police cert is a certificate of character. got mine done yday in my local garda station n they didnt even ask for i.d or anything, all stations r different i suppose. they sed it will take about a wk to come back.

I was prepared and got police checks all done in December

• Registered Users Posts: 37 karlcox2

lads whats the story with with canadian high commision partition fee "currently at €95"

i thought when you paid usit 399 that was you sorted bar insurance and flights.

just got email saying if book with usit they will cover the cost of fee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 karlcox2

karlcox2 wrote: »
    lads whats the story with with canadian high commision partition fee "currently at €95"

i thought when you paid usit 399 that was you sorted bar insurance and flights.

just got email saying if book with usit they will cover the cost of fee

sorry just rang them and the fee is included in the 399 but they will give you 95 euro discount if book insurance and flights with usit.

If anyone gets flights / insurance booked elsewhere can they please put the details up here

• Registered Users Posts: 29 hans_moleman

that police cert is a joke. i applied in november still havent got anything back. going to go in again today. when it comes to paperwork they really dont want to help out. anyone who hasnt applied id get onto it asap

• Registered Users Posts: 39 jagerluvinliamo

The place have been filled and the waiting list has started, balls

Has anyone else put their name down on the waiting list and what number are they?
    Given the new terms and condition i can't imagine there will be that many cancellations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 wolrabp

Hey Guys,

Does anyone have any idea how long police certs take from OZ, New South Wales in particular, bit worried we wont make the deadline, should have applied earlier!

Somebody asked if anyone was over 30, I am 30 and my Girlfriend is also going to be 30 when we leave. Are we too old? Hell no!

Regarding Permanent Residency, we applied for a Federal Skilled Working Visa which is based on your occupation, we were refused this because my role is slightly different to the description they give on their list of accepted occupations.

Some good links i found along the way that i hope help people:

FSW:
    http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who-instructions.asp#list
    Accomodation:
    http://www.hometrader.ca/
    Jobs:
    http://jobsearch.monster.ca/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 bambampop

For anyone who is still interested, i got an official reply from the canadian high commission today and you definately can't apply for the visa directly, it has to be through USIT. Personally think its a joke, seems like everyone here is essentially giving 300 euros to usit to copy and paste your info.... anyway, here it is.

Dear Madam/Sir,

Thank you for your enquiry.

The 2010 Working holiday program is now open.

A foreign national must not work in Canada unless authorised to do so by a work permit. In most cases, to be eligible to apply for a work permit you must have obtained a job offer from a Canadian employer. Work permits are not issued for the purpose of seeking employment.

However, depending on your age and nationality you may be eligible for one of Canada's Youth Mobility Programmes (working holiday).

The Canadian High Commission in London administers programmes for British and Irish citizens only. If you are not British or Irish, please contact the Canadian mission responsible for your country of citizenship.

If you are an Irish citizen, aged between 18 and 35 (inclusive), you may be eligible to apply for one of the Youth Mobility Programmes for Ireland. Please visit http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/work-travail/index.aspx?lang=eng for more information about entry requirements and how to apply. Please note that applications and enquiries must be submitted to USIT and not to the High Commission directly. The Youth Mobility Programmes are subject to quotas. When these have been reached, USIT may have a waitlist in operation for 2010. For more information enquire with them directly using their enquiry form.

We encourage you to visit our website regularly for updates.

We hope this has been of assistance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭stlongs

You Can get a visa through other means, The main thing is that you have to have an employer in canada who will need to apply for a Labour Market Opinion, you then send this along with the application form to Human Resources and Skills Development Canada.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canadian-temporary-work-visa.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 bambampop

sorry i should have been more specific. earlier in this thread there was a couple of people including myself questioning why you could only get the under35 WHV from USIT and i had said i would post the official reply when i got it from the canadian high commission.

you can only get the u35 working holiday visa through USIT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭stlongs

bambampop wrote: »
    sorry i should have been more specific. earlier in this thread there was a couple of people including myself questioning why you could only get the under35 WHV from USIT and i had said i would post the official reply when i got it from the canadian high commission.

you can only get the u35 working holiday visa through USIT

ah sorry, now that you say that I do remember seeing that post earlier in the thread. My bad....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 jasonf

wolrabp wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

Does anyone have any idea how long police certs take from OZ, New South Wales in particular, bit worried we wont make the deadline, should have applied earlier!

hey
    I applied for my one from oz the week before christmas and i rang the office in canberra on the 4th and she said its gone back out to me in the post an all , so as far as the dead line youll be fine, just make sure you have the right money in there, $43 bank draft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 wolrabp

Sound man, got the drafts today and just filled out the application which i will send tomorrow via the speediest post available!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Shootenanny

Hi all

Planning on applying for the 1 yr student work visa to canada (vancouver) and will be travelling on my lonesome...am really excited about the whole experience..but am also a tinchy bit nervous because have never travelled so far alone before..
    Would love to hear the experiences of others who went over alone...like how easy is it to meet people and what kind of social scene is there over in vancouver?..are the people generally a friendly sort?
    Also am debating whether to register myself as a nurse over there..if anyone else has experience of this would love some advice because seems like a lot of hassle/money and not sure if employers would take on a nurse who is only going to be there for a limited time.
    Hope I posted this in the right place..if not please redirect me.

Thank You!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 brownboots

Is Canada U-35 WHV now closed?? Just checked the website and it says closed. Does this mean its full or too late to apply?

Cheers..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 bridie27

ye looks like it is .. they start a waiting list when it gets full if people drop out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 brownboots

OMG i cant believe its full and only January ;((!
    Will just have to wait and see if it re opens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

im only get the police certificate sorted now. i read the FAQ wrong and thought i had to wait for some reason :rolleyes:

anyway i got this form in my local garda station. is this all i need to apply and post to the super or do i need to add a letter explaining anything as well?

it doesn't have a ref num at the top either. should i make one up? :p

qEvA2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 bridie27

hey,

your lucky you got an application!!!i went into my garda station and had to bring a list of where i lived, where ive worked, education(like a cv effectively) and then i got sent a cert in the post signed bythe superint. and they put a ref number on it for you!!!
    the irish system is v unstructured, unlike the UK, but the UK charge !!

inode wrote: »
    im only get the police certificate sorted now. i read the FAQ wrong and thought i had to wait for some reason :rolleyes:

anyway i got this form in my local garda station. is this all i need to apply and post to the super or do i need to add a letter explaining anything as well?

it doesn't have a ref num at the top either. should i make one up? :p

qEvA2.jpg
    the cert i got in my local station didnt look like dat mayb different stations have different types, i dunno!

hey everyone! me n my 2 friends r headin to vancouver in late august/start of sept. hopefully settle der for a few months den go sumwhere else where ever d work is really! den spend d followin summer travellin around d rest of d country.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭amber23

hey, did mine today, the guard filled in the form himself, i didnt have to sign it, he said he would send it onto to Harcourt station to be stamped when the checks were ran, then he'd post it back to me, he said it should only take a week, so fingers crossed! i thought the general procedure involved the guard sending it on though, not the applicant!

hope that helped

just want to see is my police form the same as everyone elses, want to make sure i have the right clearance.

Just playing the waiting game now forms sent in the post this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 canadianbiatch

the visa werent opened until january because of the olympics in vancouver in feb so they postponed because they were supposed to come out in november. Im canadian and canada pretty much shuts down for the olympics...no jobs or nothing and expensive flights so no one would wanna come here until after anyways good luck all my sexy irish boyfrind just got a place!!! yeaaa

Mr.S wrote: »
    Whats the insurance actually for?

I've found flights for around 450-500€ return, which would be great if i could book myself, no dout USIT would have **** flights for 600€+ like they do for the J1.

And about the Police certificate thing, do you need that on the day you apply, or do you just submit that at a later date?
    do it ASAP!!! takes almost a month to get it back and if you lived elsewhere..2 months!!

has anyone lived in australia for more then 6 months and need to get a police cert for oz?? my boyfriend applied for the irish one in nov and got it back within a month and he also applied for an oz one in nov but still hasnt gotten it back. IM WORRIED!! its crap that you have to have all these things applied for because they dont give you much time to get these certs and they take ages to get back!!! good luck all and see you all in canada!! its a beautiful place

• Advertisement

has anyone lived in australia for more then 6 months and need to get a police cert for oz?? my boyfriend applied for the irish one in nov and got it back within a month and he also applied for an oz one in nov but still hasnt gotten it back. IM WORRIED!! its crap that you have to have all these things applied for because they dont give you much time to get these certs and they take ages to get back!!! good luck all and see you all in canada!! its a beautiful place

hi, i also lived in oz for a year and need a clearance from them, if you ring this number Ph:02 6202 3333 and they will ask for your date of birth and they will be able to tell you what stage they are at. I sent my one of mid december and rang them at the start of this week and they said its gone back out to me in the post and its sorted, so get on to them and see where it is. hope this helps.

Advertisement