Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 lonny

Anyone know an irish oz affiliated bank the oz coppers accept money orders from???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 jasonf

hey all! just wondering what insurance companys ye are using and that usit will pass, any info or links will be great!!

lonny wrote: »
    Anyone know an irish oz affiliated bank the oz coppers accept money orders from???????

AIB just got a draft of them today!

cheers taz, i rang the oz police but they werent that helpfull,pain in the hole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭stlongs

jasonf wrote: »
    hey all! just wondering what insurance companys ye are using and that usit will pass, any info or links will be great!!

http://www.fyi.ie/

http://www.blueinsurance.ie/

I haven't checked up about either of them yet with USIT, but I heard they are good. That's all I know of anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭mdu

Hi, Does anyone know of a boards style website in Canada - specifically Toronto?

oh and where do all the Irish hang out in the big TO? seems to me to be kinda quiet here.. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 wolrabp

Bank of Ireland do them too, i've gotten four from them so far :) Make sure it is made out to Australian Federal Police for 105 dollars and you include a fingerprint check.
    lonny wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭goldjogger

Signed up yesterday for the student visa...really excited about venturing over to Canada, also going solo which seems to be what alot of people are doin,

Plan is to head over in May and start in Montreal and travel around not sure of where to yet but to travel my way over to the weat coast and work along the way to keep me funded :):)

has anyone got there clearance back from oz police, whats the time frame????cheers

anyone know how long oz police checks take to come bank?????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 daviddob

so what are people's experiences with Montreal? if you have no French will that inhibit your chances of getting a job, particularly in the service industry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭rivermetimbers

wolrabp wrote: »
    Bank of Ireland do them too, i've gotten four from them so far :) Make sure it is made out to Australian Federal Police for 105 dollars and you include a fingerprint check.

do we have to get the finger print check yea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Don't suppose anyone applied for the police cert in Pearse St station in Dublin - or any station in Dublin and if so how did you get on??

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭amber23

celestial wrote: »
    Don't suppose anyone applied for the police cert in Pearse St station in Dublin - or any station in Dublin and if so how did you get on??

i applied in raheny station, dublin
    they were really helpful, filled in the whole form for me, took a copy of my passport and birthcert, and said they would send it in to be signed in harcourt station by the SI, and post it back out to me within the week! that was only on Saturday so still waiting, but i dont think it will be too long

do we have to get the finger print check yea?
    only if you have visit oz for more than 6 months, they request it so they can do a name and fingerprint cheque,

From the USIT website
    How do I obtain a Police Certificate for Australia?
    You will need to go to this link: http://www.afp.gov.au/business/national_police_checks and download the National Police Check Application Form. You will need to obtain the 'Name and Fingerprint Check'. To indicate this you will need to complete the above form and tick 'Yes' to section 5. If you are applying to obtain this document from outside of Australia you will need to supply your fingerprints to them, you will also need to tick the box 5a and attach an official set of fingerprints as taken by the Police in your country of residence and the appropriate fee (at present this fee is AUS$105) and return all documents to the Australian Federal Police. (Average processing time: 6 to 8 weeks)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭rivermetimbers

wolrabp wrote: »
    From the USIT website

well that is a load of BS... i was gonna courier off a police check tomorrow, but now there is no point, 6-8 week to get it, and all they allow is 40 fkn days!!!! like seriously that makes it impossible!
    could someone help me if they have any assurances that it will come back in time or i wont send it off and save myself the money. fkn gutted, USIT ****, sorry mods

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Adjogranty

Im heading to Toronto in early June.

Going to look for a job in the financial sector, also going solo so if anyone needs a travel buddy drop me a PM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 canadianbiatch

well that is a load of BS... i was gonna courier off a police check tomorrow, but now there is no point, 6-8 week to get it, and all they allow is 40 fkn days!!!! like seriously that makes it impossible!
    could someone help me if they have any assurances that it will come back in time or i wont send it off and save myself the money. fkn gutted, USIT ****, sorry mods
    I would suggest you courier it off ASAP then call usit and tell them the story. They can't just give your spot away if you are actually going to use it and you paid for it..thats bullsh*t if they do. My boyfriend sent his off like 2 months ago and they just got it so i dont no if were even going to get it back in time but theres no chance in hell im going to let those bastards give my place away and keep my money. im sure if you explain to them you wil be using the spot and your waiting for your australian police check they'll understand because you cant be the only person who has to get an australian police check in 40 days. good luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Can you not get the police clearances before Usit say you have a place? I got police clearances for my job from Australia. Aren't they regarded valid for a year? And it's only AU$43 so it's not going to break the bank.
    It's not really Usits fault here. You don't have to wait until the last minute to apply for the police cert.
    If you've applied through Usit the first time you're reading about the police requirements should not be on Boards. http://canada.usit.ie/under-35-programme/police-certificates/

• Advertisement

Can you not get the police clearances before Usit say you have a place? I got police clearances for my job from Australia. Aren't they regarded valid for a year? And it's only AU$43 so it's not going to break the bank.
    It's not really Usits fault here. You don't have to wait until the last minute to apply for the police cert.
    If you've applied through Usit the first time you're reading about the police requirements should not be on Boards. http://canada.usit.ie/under-35-programme/police-certificates/
    did you get a name + fingerprint check as this is what usit need?its 105dollers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

jasonf wrote: »
    did you get a name + fingerprint check as this is what usit need?its 105dollers

I didn't. I only got the normal one. Fair enough. That's about €68 so.

It seems to be a Canadian Embassy requirement.
    From
    http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/australia-australie/visas/police_australian-australie_police.aspx?lang=eng
    under Australian police checks they have fingerprints required for Australian Police certs.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 karlcox2

lads/ lassies,

anyone going this year/ early next year please join the facebook group to keep in touch and meet up while were over there (link below or search for irish invasion of canada 2010)
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Irish-Invasion-of-Canada-2010/230232657214?ref=mf

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭myleftfoot

So I always wondered how many people on the waiting list manage to get a spot, but reading this thread there may be quite a few.

Seriously people, why not read the instructions about applying for the visa then read them again. Then read them once more.

Before you send off for anything, read them again and double check you´re doing things correctly. It´s all there as far as I can tell, the only unknown really is about flights & insurance (which is why I´m in here, cheers guys for the info)

Oh and does anyone know if I need to get a police cert for New Zealand because I´ve lived there for a year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Silver24

Got accepted for the Canada U35 visa too, thinking of heading over to Vancouver, need to sort accomodation and get a job, was working in finance, on the doss now...Gonna try check out Toronto and Montreal too, as for the flights, best to book with USIT? What ya rekkon?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 hans_moleman

myleftfoot wrote: »
    Oh and does anyone know if I need to get a police cert for New Zealand because I´ve lived there for a year?

yes. asap. althought you might have left this too late.

seems to me a lot of people who went to oz and other countries have waited until now to go applying for police certs. people should have got these in the last few months

I know how you feel, we sent ours off on Tuesday and fear we may not get them back on time either. In fairness we should have read the frequently asked questions sooner but we can't do anything about that now.

I put a note with our request to say we need them back as soon as possible due to a deadline but i seriously doubt that will speed things up. They replied to me quite promptly by email about a query I had so it may be worth mailing them about your concerns...

Also for those of you sending to Australia, you don't need to pay the 26 euro courier post as a standard postage amount will get it there just as quickly...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

myleftfoot wrote: »

Yes, of course. Or else, dont mention that you lived there on your application form for the Canada visa.

http://www.justice.govt.nz/services/get-a-copy-of-your-criminal-record/obtaining-a-copy-of-your-criminal-record/?searchterm=criminal%20record

Its free, takes about a month to get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭cokedrinker

You can travel to Canada under this program up until 11/01/2011 - If we enter Canada on this date, does this mean the visa will expire 1 year from that date (10/01/2012)?

Advertisement