Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 murphn24

Bought flights through airtransat. One way into Toronto for approx €250. Its a chartered flight. Bought insurance through www.backpackercover.ie for €190 or so. That blue insurance crowd buy there insurance from the website above. I rang Blue and the guy on the phone said it would be cheaper if I went directly to them! Don't think Blue hire him to do that but I thought he was sound!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 jasonf

murphn24 wrote: »
    Bought flights through airtransat. One way into Toronto for approx €250. Its a chartered flight. Bought insurance through www.backpackercover.ie for €190 or so. That blue insurance crowd buy there insurance from the website above. I rang Blue and the guy on the phone said it would be cheaper if I went directly to them! Don't think Blue hire him to do that but I thought he was sound!
    good stuff and thanks for the link, the more info we can get up the better, has usit passed these flights and insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 lonny

I would suggest you courier it off ASAP then call usit and tell them the story. They can't just give your spot away if you are actually going to use it and you paid for it..thats bullsh*t if they do. My boyfriend sent his off like 2 months ago and they just got it so i dont no if were even going to get it back in time but theres no chance in hell im going to let those bastards give my place away and keep my money. im sure if you explain to them you wil be using the spot and your waiting for your australian police check they'll understand because you cant be the only person who has to get an australian police check in 40 days. good luck!

myself and my girlfriend are in the same boat, we emailed usit and they said that its 40 straight days including holidays and theres no leeway.....sent oz police checks off last weeks... will be gutted if we loose 800 yo yo s to usit...obviously should have read faq s 4 over times but they said that the 40 days was taking into account police checks so just presumed it covered oversea s checks!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 jasonf

lonny wrote: »
    myself and my girlfriend are in the same boat, we emailed usit and they said that its 40 straight days including holidays and theres no leeway.....sent oz police checks off last weeks... will be gutted if we loose 800 yo yo s to usit...obviously should have read faq s 4 over times but they said that the 40 days was taking into account police checks so just presumed it covered oversea s checks!!!
    were up **** creek with out a paddle so ...not impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

I got accepted on the U35 programme - cant wait. Am very nervous tho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Shootenanny

Got accepted on student visa..planning on going in september at the earliest cos really need to save some money...hoping to go to vancouver - staying there for a while and then travel nearer the end of year.

Has anyone here had the medical?..I need to have it for work reasons and just wondering what it involves...am hoping its just a basic medical assessment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 travel fan

Im heading to Vancouver in summer with my boyfriend and a few friends. My friends can only stay til end of summer then its just me and my boyfiend. The two of us alone sounds a bit boring :( and i want the time of my life:D so hoping to make loads of friends!hopefully find some dedly room mates to share a place!Give me a shout if anyone in same boat!wel have to have drinks over in Vancouver!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭cokedrinker

Is there any other way of getting this visa - I've have missed the boat! Someone told me yesterday that visafirst are releasing the same in February, but i see no word of it on their site!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭rivermetimbers

myleftfoot wrote: »
    So I always wondered how many people on the waiting list manage to get a spot, but reading this thread there may be quite a few.

Seriously people, why not read the instructions about applying for the visa then read them again. Then read them once more.

Before you send off for anything, read them again and double check you´re doing things correctly. It´s all there as far as I can tell, the only unknown really is about flights & insurance (which is why I´m in here, cheers guys for the info)

Oh and does anyone know if I need to get a police cert for New Zealand because I´ve lived there for a year?

are you for real???? coming on here and tellin people to check and check again, all arrogant like, and then askin if you need a check from NZ!!!!
    of course ya do ya muppet!!!lmfao

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭phizzledizzle

Anyone know what the wwaiting list is like currently? Just applied today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

When tracking your status and it says 'sent to sponsor'... does that mean app form has gone to canadian high commission?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Anyone know what the wwaiting list is like currently? Just applied today

I got lucky and got a place. I got an email from usit last week about booking flights and insurance. The girl mentioned how lucky I was to get a place as there were (4 x Number of places) applicants. I am unsure of Number of places, but i think it is 2000, so I would expect a waiting list of 6000 +.

I got lucky and got a place. I got an email from usit last week about booking flights and insurance. The girl mentioned how lucky I was to get a place as there were (4 x Number of places) applicants. I am unsure of Number of places, but i think it is 2000, so I would expect a waiting list of 6000 +.

Ouch. Not looking good for me so. When did you apply?

I'm going travelling South America in May and was going to go to Oz after but yesterday thought Canada might be a better option

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Ouch. Not looking good for me so. When did you apply?

I'm going travelling South America in May and was going to go to Oz after but yesterday thought Canada might be a better option

I applied on the day of issue, January 5, but all the places were gone in a day or two. I only got on a waiting list last year, and I did get an offer later in the year. Could not accept though. I think there have been offers to waiting list every other year, but I would not be too reliant on it. (Especially if demand was much higher this year). I was in about place 1200 on the waiting list, took a few months to get an offer.

I applied on the day of issue, January 5, but all the places were gone in a day or two. I only got on a waiting list last year, and I did get an offer later in the year. Could not accept though. I think there have been offers to waiting list every other year, but I would not be too reliant on it. (Especially if demand was much higher this year). I was in about place 1200 on the waiting list, took a few months to get an offer.

Right, I'm still waiting to find out where I am on the waiting list. Hopefully something might come through while I'm travelling, I doubt I hear anything before May. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Right, I'm still waiting to find out where I am on the waiting list. Hopefully something might come through while I'm travelling, I doubt I hear anything before May. Cheers

Bear in mind though that you need to be resident in Ireland at the time of application!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,165 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

When tracking your status and it says 'sent to sponsor'... does that mean app form has gone to canadian high commission?

Mines is still blank all it says is that the passport details are complete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

basically what im trying to guesstimate is from being sent to sponsor (presumably canadian high commission) how long does it take for your visa letter to come back ?

I know usit say 6-8 weeks... but usually this is just a canned response. Interested in getting real experiences from people who might know someone who applied last year.

celestial wrote: »
    Bear in mind though that you need to be resident in Ireland at the time of application!

If I apply and get word that I'm accepted will I need to come back? Or can I not just send on the documents If I have them all prepared before I go just in case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭ladyA

I am just wondering how people are getting return flights for 450 and the like? Sites won't let me book a return date a year away?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 achbons

ladyA wrote: »
    I am just wondering how people are getting return flights for 450 and the like? Sites won't let me book a return date a year away?

I'm not sure any airlines allow you to book a year in advance. As far as I can tell, you can either buy a return flight coming back in six months (e.g. June to December) and then contact the airline directly to change your flight come December (so change it to a flight returning June the following year). Usually there is a fee of around 150 euro to change a flight, and you then need to pay the difference between the flight you are changing from and to.

The other option that some airlines offer is an open-ended/ flexible ticket, where it is a good bit more expensive than your average return, but you don't get any penalty or fee for changing the flight later. It looks like that option still works out more expensive than the first one, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gottcha_goin

Hi does anyone now the average wait time on police certificates. I handed in my documentation today to Clondalkin but the guard didnt really know what to do with it. I explained that it should be sent to the district super. Just a bit anxious that it may be thrown to the side as they dont know what to do with it.

Has anyone else dealt with Ronanstown Garda Station and what the general waiting time would be??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 cocopop11

Looking for info on flights to canada, i see that airtransat fly from dublin and shannon from april for as little as €110 one way to toronto, this is a lot cheaper than the €900 odd usit will offer, is it possible to get the visa through usit and book own flights, it makes a lot more sense. I am applying for the 12 month student programme but want to stay there and build a career in canada.

This year USIT have decided to let you choose where you want to buy your flights and insurance. USIT will be dearer by possibly €200+ but offer flexible dates and you can change your flights for free if you want to come back later or earlier. The insurance I think needs to be "approved" by USIT, which could be tricky. May be worthwhile to buy it through them to avoid the hassle and that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 daviddob

i'm sure tho if you book your own flights you can change the return date also. it'll cost about $100.

Not really planning on a return date as such but im aware that it is necessary to book a return to be eligible for the programme! went into a usit office in limerick earlier today and they were useless for want of a better word. They told me to look online for information and that i need to book flights through them.

As far as I know there is no necessity to book a return flight. Once you are able to show funds of $3000 when you enter Canada it is not necessary, thats mentioned in USIT's own FAQ's if memory serves me well. Might be questioned on it by immigration when u land though.

I was on to USIT Dublin a few days ago and they confirmed that you dont have to book flights and insurance through them. They just outline the benefits of doing so.

Cheers thanks for the info, am definitely feeling better about the whole thing after logging on to this thread. Hoping to arrive over at the end of may going solo, would like to hear bout experiences of canada, the people, nitelife, standard of living etc.. and in particular toronto.

I was in Toronto in 2008, June-September. Have to say it was one of the best times of my life, its why im heading back again this year!! Going solo wont be too bad as a lot of irish bars and going through USIT helps as you have orientation and nights out with people in the same boat as yourself.

The people are very laid back, broad mix of cultures so whatever your into you're bound to find it pretty much!!..There's different sections and such within toronto, you'll find little italy, portugese, chinatown being the main few. Nightlife is by far much better than ireland. Such a diverse range of places to go. If Irish bars are your thing there is plenty dotted around the city and mostly packed with 1 year visa people who you're bound to get job tips and advice off. Great clubs around. They have a specific area known as the Entertainment District where there are just a mass of clubs if you're going out. All very good.

The standard of living is very laid back and people are very helpful and interested in knowing what you're over for and that. They have a great transport system,which is so easy to use, especially the subway line. Id say accommodation wise I would try to get a place within reach of a subway line (main one runs along Bloor Street). It makes getting downtown easier.

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement

That is a lot of help, thanks!
    It can't be that bad if youre returning! :D
    im going looking for work in the financial services sector if possible im not sure how easy this will be but i would take anything really until i find something more suitable.

Advertisement