Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

cool thanks ya it looks like we will hit vancouver is there many good irish bars for meeting up with people and getting a pint bottle of bulmers also in general is food and drink expensive

As Colin29 said, Doolins, Johnny Foxes and Ceili's are some of the Irish bars downtown. Doolins and Foxes are both pretty good, I'm not a big fan of Ceilis though.

There is also the Irish Heather and the Blarney Stone in Gastown, have heard great things about the Irish Heather but haven't been there myself yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

There is a bar in the Gastown area of Vancouver called the Black Frog who sell pint bottles of Bulmers for $7.25. Its a grand little spot for a few quiet pints and a chat, good music and some good drinks specials too!

As Colin29 said, Doolins, Johnny Foxes and Ceili's are some of the Irish bars downtown. Doolins and Foxes are both pretty good, I'm not a big fan of Ceilis though.

There is also the Irish Heather and the Blarney Stone in Gastown, have heard great things about the Irish Heather but haven't been there myself yet.

Pretty sure the only Bulmers you can get here is the English Bulmers, If the Irish version is sold outside Ireland it has to be called Magners.

Never been to the new Irish Heather, it used to located across the street from where it is now, the old place was quite a nice spot, the Blarney Stone is a crap hole from what I've seen of the place.

colin29 wrote: »
    Pretty sure the only Bulmers you can get here is the English Bulmers, If the Irish version is sold outside Ireland it has to be called Magners.

Never been to the new Irish Heather, it used to located across the street from where it is now, the old place was quite a nice spot, the Blarney Stone is a crap hole from what I've seen of the place.

D'oh! :o

Was a bit dazed and confused when I posted that earlier.
    I think your right, outside of Ireland, Bulmers is a totally different cider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Outlawtorn

I need to be in Canada in August and the price of flights all round are pretty high..anyone else look at flights for August??

Mr.S wrote: »
    http://www.kayak.com searches for the cheapest flights.

should be around 400-500 return.

Cant check there, Flying out Aug 10 coming back 2011..wont let me check that far in advance...Ive been quoted 2300 from Air Canada and 1500 from BA.

• Advertisement

So just book a single journey for August, and then nearer the time book the return flight?

No airline will have 2011 dates up yet.

A one way?? You do know that they are more expensive than returns.

Air Canada was flying out August and booking a date in Jan 2011 with a free date change and it was still 2300.

I know that airlines wont have 2011 dates up yet but as im flying out during peak season i have to move quick to get a good deal.

Ehm what :p?

A Single journey ticket is cheaper then a return... where would the logic be if it was more expensive :confused:
    I dont understand the logic behind it but its well known Airlines do it that way...

One way Dub to Toronto with Aircanada on Aug 3 1250
    The same flight as part of a return 1054...

Guess they just do it that way because of load factors or what not.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gottcha_goin

Outlawtorn wrote: »
    I dont understand the logic behind it but its well known Airlines do it that way...

One way Dub to Toronto with Aircanada on Aug 3 1250
    The same flight as part of a return 1054...

Guess they just do it that way because of load factors or what not.

Why are you flying Air Canada??..They are one of the most expensive airlines to fly. Also, €1250 does not seem realistic whatsoever. I flew return with Air Canada last summer and it was €650. Ive seen one way flights over there for as little as €250. I would suggest a more vigorous search unless you like money going from your wallet or flying business.

Ehm what :p?

A Single journey ticket is cheaper then a return... where would the logic be if it was more expensive :confused:
    Why are you flying Air Canada??..They are one of the most expensive airlines to fly. Also, €1250 does not seem realistic whatsoever. I flew return with Air Canada last summer and it was €650. Ive seen one way flights over there for as little as €250. I would suggest a more vigorous search unless you like money going from your wallet or flying business.

I wanted to fly Air Canada as i wanted a direct flight from Dublin as im sick of flying through CDG with Air France which is what i normally do.
    Check the website now youself if you dont believe me..And ive searched Aircanada, Lufthanasa, Klm, Air France, BA and Air Transat and the cheapeast one way is 350 Wit Air tranast and 800 return on ebookers with US Airlines.

Is that a vigorous enough search for you...Im quite well versed in booking flights myself but have noticed that all flights i seem to find leaving August are quite expensive and came here to see if anyone had the same problems, wont bother anymore...

Also with the one way ticket you need 3x the funds( 3000 dollars as apposed to 1000) to get through immigration and there is also chance they can reject your work permit with a one way ticket..so im not going down that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I have a group of 10 (including myself) interested in heading over to Vancouver this summer to do the whole working-summer thing.

But where do i start? Book flights? Accommodation? Visas?

Any advice at all would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Roonbox

just got a mail from usit reminding me of the approaching 40 day deadline....

They didnt give a specific date though - does anyone know what day exactly the deadline to reply is...?

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Roonbox

thanks Mrs S - that doesnt seem so bad - still waiting on Police cert -

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

I believe it is 40 straight days from registration - which would make it Feb 15th - someone emailed USIT and posted back on here with their reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 aindriu.doohan

hey all.

it has to be 40 days since the date you receive and email sayin your accepted.

you can apply until the visas are gone so therefore people could still be applying for a visa in 2 months time possibly, if are any left, so if the deadline for everyone was in feb then it would mean pointless in people applying after mid feb.

by the way, is there anyone here looking for civil/structural engineering work? if so where do you reckon is the best place to head for??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,165 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Getting worried now sent the applications to Usit on the Saturday after the program opened and the tracking status for me on their site is still blank :(

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I have a group of 10 (including myself) interested in heading over to Vancouver this summer to do the whole working-summer thing.

But where do i start? Book flights? Accommodation? Visas?

Any advice at all would be appreciated.

Start getting your visa sorted, it usually takes a good few weeks to get through all the red tape. And in the meantime, have a look around for flights & a place to live. Craigslist will give you a good idea of how much accomodation is going to cost. Good luck with it Mikey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bossmanpaulo

Hey all,

Iv been in Vancouver for 4 weeks now. Iv got a job in a bar as a bar tender, have a sweet apartment downtown - met 2 others in the hostel. Anyway if anyone wants any advise, email me on paulosullivan1981@gmail.com. Might be able to help those comign over. Stay away from Doolins by the way, its a rip off and isnt an Irish bar whatsoever. Anyway, send me a mail for advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭La La

what's the story with finding apartments in Toronto? Is there an equivalent to Daft.ie or anything?

http://www.viewit.ca/

funny the number of people going on about irish bars - when in rome, etc? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bossmanpaulo

To be honest La La, I do try to stay away from them most of the time, and the bar Im working in is pretty far away from that type of bar. Unfortunately, there were 2 right next to the hostel I was staying in when first got here, so was always going to the nearest boozer. Jazz club on Granville is probably one of the best pub/clubs that iv experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BillyBro

Hi All

I'm going to Canada with my girlfriend in Sep 2010 and we were hoping to find work as chartered accountants.
    From reading thr various threads on here it seems the job oppurtunities are quiet limited but we'll give it a try anyway!!
    Does anyone have anyone have any experience of job hunting in the area of Finance and accounting in any area of Canada and if so how did you get on??
    Also are any accountants getting ready to head over and what do ye think the prospects are like??

Thanks a mil.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

i sent my completed application on monday there and my status already says " Received - Your application form has been received and we are ready to process it "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mooch001

usit states u have to get the cert including fingerprints from australia and that its $105???
    Im still waiting for mine to return and my one from new zealand,which was free!!Does anyone know the time either of these take??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mooch001

will usit except you getting your own insurance from blue insurance or other companies?

Has anyone been accepted off the waitlist yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 juno2009

Hey all, just reading posts about flights, one-way vs return tickets. This is what it says on Usit website:
    Can I enter Canada with a one-way ticket?Applicants may enter Canada on a one-way ticket provided they have insurance that covers them for their entire stay in Canada and have access to a minimum of CAD$3000 upon enter Canada. Please note it is in your best interest to enter Canada with either a return ticket to Ireland or with proof of onward transportation as it is completely at the discretion of Canadian Immigration to allow you into Canada. Generally speaking it is also more financially advantageous to arrange return flights.So looks like you'd be better off to book a return flight and change the date after if needs be... unless you've got $3000 to spare and go on a wing and a prayer. I won't be! Still waiting on the bloody police certs anyway so can't even send off the application forms till then aaahhh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 championship08

Hey all, just recently forged an interest in going to Canada for the summer. Looking at the USit website, it says student visa's are now gone but a waiting list has been set up. I applied and am now on this waiting list. Does anyone know what usually happens here? Do the Canadian high commission have to issue more visas or am i stuck hoping someone will not take up their option of a visa? Am i likely to end up getting a visa? If anyone knows, I'd greatly appreciate any info. Thanks.

Hey all, just recently forged an interest in going to Canada for the summer. Looking at the USit website, it says student visa's are now gone but a waiting list has been set up. I applied and am now on this waiting list. Does anyone know what usually happens here? Do the Canadian high commission have to issue more visas or am i stuck hoping someone will not take up their option of a visa? Am i likely to end up getting a visa? If anyone knows, I'd greatly appreciate any info. Thanks.

In the same position on the waitlist for the student visa just closed today. If you registered today chances are you are in a high position on the waitlist. Basically you will be offered a place in rotation depending on where you are on the waitlist if one comes available. The place comes availaible if a person is ineligible, cancels or exceeds the 40 days to get your documents to USIT. Chances are not many will fall into that catgeory. I would think 10-20. Usually the Canadian High Commission issue more but seeing the year thats in it (low jobs in Canada) they may decide against it this year.

CHC only issues a set number of visas each year, you have to wait 'til someone drops out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 championship08

Colin, thanks for the reply.
    Does the fact that they have a waiting list indicate that some people usually get the visa through this? Is it a common thing for people to not take up the visa? I applied today and the visas only filled up yesterday so hopefully i wont be too far down the list.:confused:

• Advertisement

I've heard of people getting a visa after being on the waiting list, situations change and people decide not to accept the visa and in that case it goes to someone on the list.
    I came here on a permanent residency visa so I don't really know much about the U35 except for what I read here and else where but anything I can help with I will try.

Advertisement