Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭ZiMZuM

Hey all,i booked return flights to Toronto with USIT for the 1st September and got them for €597 which i didnt think was so bad. The fella on the phone also asked me would i like to book insurance at the same time and was told it would cost €520 for the year!!!!so am looking at getting FYI instead,no way im paying €520,rip off!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I'm going to un-sticky this thread and move to the North America forum. I am trying to de-clutter the forum of stickies and as this thread is not getting a huge amount of responses it might serve a better purpose in the North America forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

ZiMZuM wrote: »
    Hey all,i booked return flights to Toronto with USIT for the 1st September and got them for €597 which i didnt think was so bad. The fella on the phone also asked me would i like to book insurance at the same time and was told it would cost €520 for the year!!!!so am looking at getting FYI instead,no way im paying €520,rip off!!:mad:

you might save a ton or so somewhere else, but dont go thinking youll save a fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭bonkers

fly in 7 weeks..

looking to fly with air canada as its only 350 return.. and insurance thru fyi or backpacker costing either 351 or 359

has anyone gone for the same

i cant book a return flight 12months in advance so i might jsut change the flight when im over there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 emigr8te

heya i've just graduated and am on the waiting list for heading over to Vancouver. Was hoping to go in Sept but not sure if I'll get the visa (through usit) by then. Did anyone go through anyone else to get their visa? If so let me know, want to get over there asap! Great idea to make a forum for all us Graham!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

emigr8te wrote: »
    heya i've just graduated and am on the waiting list for heading over to Vancouver. Was hoping to go in Sept but not sure if I'll get the visa (through usit) by then. Did anyone go through anyone else to get their visa? If so let me know, want to get over there asap! Great idea to make a forum for all us Graham!

Hi emigr8te! Unfortunately USIT is the only option for getting your visa. Once you are offered a place on the programme and your documents are sent to be processed, it can take around 6 - 8 weeks before you are issued with a visa.

I'm heading to Vancouver in early September, so feel free to PM me if you have any questions

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Hephaestus

bonkers wrote: »
    looking to fly with air canada as its only 350 return..

Have Usit confirmed that they will allow you to do this?
    I was quoted €870 for a return flight to Van in mid Aug through Usit
    bonkers wrote: »
    i cant book a return flight 12months in advance so i might jsut change the flight when im over there

Is it free to change the date or will you have to pay for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 clownprince37

how long were u waiting for your visa?

how long were u waiting for your visa?

It took 4 wks for it to be processed after I sent in all the relevant doc's.

Hephaestus wrote: »
    Have Usit confirmed that they will allow you to do this?
    I was quoted €870 for a return flight to Van in mid Aug through Usit

Is it free to change the date or will you have to pay for it?

i think it may cost 50 to 150euros but im not sure when i come back so it really doesnt matter to me..

i know 2 people who have gone since may and havent gone thru usit for the flight and insurance.. so its fine

• Advertisement

Is it difficult to get the Visa from Usit unless you buy the flights directly from them?

I e-mailed them on Tues about organising the flights myself but haven't received a reply yet.

Will Usit just ignore you in the hope that you get pissed off & just purchase flights through them?

Hephaestus wrote: »
    Is it difficult to get the Visa from Usit unless you buy the flights directly from them?

I e-mailed them on Tues about organising the flights myself but haven't received a reply yet.

Will Usit just ignore you in the hope that you get pissed off & just purchase flights through them?

I am having the same problem but im 95% sure you can book flights yoself.. i have been told that i have to email and that they cant answer over the phone.. even tho i asked the guy on the phone "don't you actually work in usit too? he said yes i do... have you never been asked this question, he said yes i have but i cant answer that question as i am only working in sales and that there is only one person in usit who deals with canadian queries and they get thru emails faster...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 jagerluvinliamo

Similar query, has anyone been able to get usit to release the documents without buying flights through them.
    Has anyone gotten them to release the documents without showing any evidence of travel at all.

Things is the deadline for booking flights is looming and I would love if i got the documents released to me and have the rest of the year to have makes arrangement for going over.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Mariemar***

Hey guys - my name's Marie - heading to Vancouver on December 28th so quite excited! Hoping in that the WO is on soon after there will be a bit of work around. Plan to head to Calgary & then Toronto after that but it depends how things go. I'm getting a bit worried seeing the amount of people posting forced to consider going home due to the lack of work! :o
    I'm heading over with Alan, my boyfriend & a friend Kieran also.
    Alan is working in a shop at the mo, was let go from his job in Broadband Technical Support. Kieran has an engineering degree but no experience as yet. I work in collections at the moment & have done mainly customer service jobs up to then. I had been worried about not having a qualification going over but reading on here it seems employers look at mainly experience for retail/bar jobs etc...?
    Can anyone in VA/TO give us any advice at the mo??
    Do ye reckon it would be advisable to try have a job arranged before leaving Ireland??
    Thanks a mill...Sorry for ranting!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭TedDiBiase

Hi folks...

I'm 25 and off to Toronto in mid-November in the hopes of finding some work so anyone looking to meet up for beers or whatever let me know. I'm also travelling solo.

I'm on facebook etc etc, so PM me here if you're interested!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭danindublin

I'm assuming that this programme will go ahead next year but cant really seem to find out alot of into about if it is/isnt. Love to head over in Jan/Feb but I'm assuming if you actually get the visa you have to wait a bit longer. I'm stuck in Ireland till xmas and I've seen that the 2009 programme has been full for months now. Love to go over for a year.

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭mdu

hey, not sure if this is the right place but is anyone going over to Toronto at end of sept / early oct and interested in joining up and finding a place to live? Im going there on my own and would like to live with some irish people!

cheers..

ps - did anyone notice on your invoive from usit that they automatically include the candian sim card?? feck that for $35 il get my own thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mindlet

Hi

I will be in Toronto frmo 5 Oct-if there are any irish who want to meet up, look for accommodation, have drinks and fun in general :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mindlet

Im am in Toronto in Oct-lemme know if you want to meet before hand...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Mst

I've just been told that I have to book my flights with USIT and that I have to book flexible flights!! which are 250Eur more than on the Air Canada website and then even with the flexible flights I might still have to pay a fee when I change my return date. Its such bs cos I know they are just doing it to rip me off. I want to fly out at the end of August tho so I'll just have to pay up I guess:mad: I'm glad that this is the last time I will ever have to deal with USIT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 dandm

hey, as far as I know the programme for Canada opens in Jan, not much info on the site tho. have been looking into it myself for 2010. have have to apply, then wait etc etc. I am wondering is there any other way around applying for a 1 year visa for Canada rather than going through the Usit programme?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 clownprince37

ya they added the canadian sim card to my invoice too, i was like nooo thank you! 35e and they are meant to be a crap network.

Heading to Montreal on 31st August, drop me a line if you want to meet up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 buckie

hi
    headin over to toronto on the 8th of sept before movin onto vancouver for a few weeks cant wait

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭NakedMonkey

buckie wrote: »
    hi
    headin over to toronto on the 8th of sept before movin onto vancouver for a few weeks cant wait
    Would that be the 9:40 flight? I'll be on that one myself and have about a 6 hour wait for another flight in Toronto if a job transfer doesn't go ahead as planned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Suzywuzy

Hey all !

I'm going over with my boyfriend (NakedMonkey above) on the 8th September. As he said, we fly to Toronto on the 9.40ish flight, hang out there for about 6 hours before flying to Edmonton where we're going to try base ourselves to start off with. I have relations there so we'll have cheaper accomodation to do us until we both have jobs and our own place or decide if we're staying put or moving on somewhere else. :) Would be cool to meet a few that are heading over on same programme, even on flight over. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

hey all

in the states at the moment. done toronto and montreal so far, and decided we would do the states as its cheaper to travel across and there are a few more sights city wise.

will be in vancouver to begin the search for work in prob about a month. oh, and a place to stay! so if anyone has a double room to rent in a good enough spot in vancouver let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 CSHARKS

hows's it going??

Heading to Toronto Oct 1st - just booked a hostel there for a week, and then the plan is walk the ground see what area is best to live in.

Jobs don't seem to be too easy to get, especially if you are looking for something in your related field, but if anyone is there at the moment and want to give us a quick update!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Shelly_gui

Hey,
    Myself & my friend are planning to fly out Dec 28th, once we get approved for the visa. So the plan is to save like hell untill then. I've read a few treads so far and from what i can geather 3/4 k will only last you 3-4 months. Also you cant get a job unless you have accommodation, and you cant get acommodation unless you have a job! Pretty much sucks. So thats why they require you to pay a few months rent up front, maybe even a full year (i'm not sure what kind of leases they have) Also the apartments are meant to be quite old, with no furniture - Has anyone any ideas on how to get to get cheap furniture? or even get it off people who are leaving to go back home! Just trying to be prepared.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 noones24

hi im brian ill be over in toronto in 3 weeks or so and i was just wondering where is the best place to live in toronto and the worst, from reading other forums Scarborough has a bad rep, it propably depends on where i work i guess! i plan to live in a hostel for a week or so until i get something!

Advertisement