Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

What jobs did people get during their time over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Im on the waiting list too.

Is there any possibility of getting a job in Vancouver without a visa? Ive heard of friends of friends painting houses and the like, and getting cash in hand? Does it happen much?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Im on the waiting list too.

Is there any possibility of getting a job in Vancouver without a visa? Ive heard of friends of friends painting houses and the like, and getting cash in hand? Does it happen much?

I'm pretty sure it happens in the Asian communities as they very much look after their own but it's not as rampant as it might be in America.
    I would not recommend it, if you get caught you'll be screwd as will the person you work for, not worth it, also it's not fair on the people who are here and are allowed to work who may be out of a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

For anybody looking to come to Vancouver here's a nice video of what you'll see, enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 32 achbons

Getting worried now sent the applications to Usit on the Saturday after the program opened and the tracking status for me on their site is still blank :(

I'd definitely get in touch with Usit (best maybe to phone!) to check with them why the status is blank.. same happened with my boyfriend, and it turned out that it was because he'd apparently forgotten to fill something in on the forms (although we were sure that we'd double-checked everything!).

Luckily they allowed him to get the information back to them in an email and didn't ask him to fill out the forms again or anything like that.. so it didn't set us back too much timewise. Hope that helps!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 lstevo

Has anyone got the u35 non student visa yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,165 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

achbons wrote: »
    I'd definitely get in touch with Usit (best maybe to phone!) to check with them why the status is blank.. same happened with my boyfriend, and it turned out that it was because he'd apparently forgotten to fill something in on the forms (although we were sure that we'd double-checked everything!).

Luckily they allowed him to get the information back to them in an email and didn't ask him to fill out the forms again or anything like that.. so it didn't set us back too much timewise. Hope that helps!

Cheers i get a letter today saying i forgot to tick one box so had to tick that and send it back.

Has anyone got the U35 non student visa yet? or is there any hope of getting it before the end of February?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 juno2009

Cheers i get a letter today saying i forgot to tick one box so had to tick that and send it back.

Hey do u mind me asking which box you forgot to tick? Just so I can check my forms before submitting. Cheers :0)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Skum wrote: »
    Me too!!! The waiting list hasn't moved in over a week..

I'd say it would move in big jumps.
    Programme opens and people get offered. A couple will cancel but some will just let the 40 days lapse or forget about it or not be prepared. So 40 days after the programme opens another round of offers go out. Rinse, repeat.

Does anybody know the date of when the programme opened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gottcha_goin

Colin, thanks for the reply.
    Does the fact that they have a waiting list indicate that some people usually get the visa through this? Is it a common thing for people to not take up the visa? I applied today and the visas only filled up yesterday so hopefully i wont be too far down the list.:confused:

Championship. Did you get an email from USIT after you registered for the waiting list?? I applied same time as yourself but got no email confirmation or reference number. Just a bit worried that my details werent taken by the system or something!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 championship08

gottcha_goin,
    No im in the same position as you, didnt recieve any email...think it just said that you would recieve an email or text if a position became available. Details probably went through alrite!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,165 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

juno2009 wrote: »
    Hey do u mind me asking which box you forgot to tick? Just so I can check my forms before submitting. Cheers :0)

The decerlation part i forgot to tick the boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Tadhg21

well lads, i applied yesterday, same story, no e mail confirmation.
    I wonder are we far down the waiting list? Im hoping to go at the start of June sometime, anyone have any idea what my chances are ?
    I'd been meaning to book it all week, didnt realise it was about to fill up, ill be sickened if i miss out now!

Tadhg21 wrote: »
    well lads, i applied yesterday, same story, no e mail confirmation.
    I wonder are we far down the waiting list? Im hoping to go at the start of June sometime, anyone have any idea what my chances are ?
    I'd been meaning to book it all week, didnt realise it was about to fill up, ill be sickened if i miss out now!

Looking to head in June myself. I was stalling applying to the programme so I could get my police cert and things together but it went against me!! The only hope I have is that when I went in 2008 I applied in March and was on the waitlist but was confirmed fairly quickly and was gone by start of June. So there is some hope!

It'll all be worth it when you get your visa. I lived there for 2 years on a sponsership and loved the place, people and way of life. Far Far Far Far Far better the Oz and there is no comparison between the people!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

lstevo wrote: »
    It'll all be worth it when you get your visa. I lived there for 2 years on a sponsership and loved the place, people and way of life. Far Far Far Far Far better the Oz and there is no comparison between the people!

Outta curiosity what do you think the differences are?

fluke wrote: »
    Outta curiosity what do you think the differences are?
    People, landscape, people's attitude towards the Irish and every other race, diversity(people,cultures,landscape), easygoing way of life(yet things always seem to get done quickly and efficiently). I found Australia to be a very bland, boring place with no diversity whatsoever. There are just some of th things off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

lstevo wrote: »
    People, landscape, people's attitude towards the Irish and every other race, diversity(people,cultures,landscape), easygoing way of life(yet things always seem to get done quickly and efficiently). I found Australia to be a very bland, boring place with no diversity whatsoever. There are just some of th things off the top of my head.

sorry I should've clarified I was more so referring to the differences in the people. Everyone is unique granted and the people I have met in my travels aren't obviously representative of their country as a whole, but so far the Aussies are 50/50 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Hey, been in Vancouver for about a month but no job yet. Just wondering what bars on Granville st are good for a Sat night? Haven't been out too much cause money tight until I get some work.
    Just me and my girlfriend so we prob won't be heading to a club, just somewhere to have a few drinks and relax. Living in Kits, lovely place but the pubs are pretty shit. Any advice would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bossmanpaulo

Was at a cracking place last night in Gastown....corner of Abbott and Water. Get out of Granville. Place is a sh1t hole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Glynner83

It originally opened on the 4th or 5th of January so id expect some of the waiting list to be offered places around the 14th or 15th of Feb......fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Garthicus

BillyBro wrote: »
    Hi All

I'm going to Canada with my girlfriend in Sep 2010 and we were hoping to find work as chartered accountants.
    From reading thr various threads on here it seems the job oppurtunities are quiet limited but we'll give it a try anyway!!
    Does anyone have anyone have any experience of job hunting in the area of Finance and accounting in any area of Canada and if so how did you get on??
    Also are any accountants getting ready to head over and what do ye think the prospects are like??

Thanks a mil.......

You'll need to contact http://cica.ca/ they have a FAQ section in there I think regarding new immigrants to Canada...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Garthicus

For those Irish who want to meet up with other Irish whilst you're in Toronto, you should join this group

http://www.meetup.com/irish-society-toronto/

There's meet ups around once a month. If you miss trad sessions and are looking for one, Thurs & Sun there's one in Dora Keogh's, Tuesdays - Ceili Cottage and Saturdays - McVeighs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bossmanpaulo

Lads/Ladies,

Link here on the Irish Sports and Social Club in Vancouver.

http://www.isscvancouver.com/page/2/

Scroll have way down to get the links.

Hope this is of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Just got an email there....I'm number 38 on the student visa waiting list!! Doubtful I'll get it now!

Any inclination on how quick the waiting list is moving from anyone on the U35 programme?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 cocopop11

Im at number 73 on the student waiting list, and quite optimistic!

cocopop11 wrote: »
    Im at number 73 on the student waiting list, and quite optimistic!

What strikes the optimism within you?? I wonder if they priortise people on the aitlist looking to go earlier in the year. Just a thought!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 cocopop11

What strikes the optimism within you?? I wonder if they priortise people on the aitlist looking to go earlier in the year. Just a thought!

Well they gave out a further 500+ visas last year didn't they?? I'm hopeful anyway thought I'd be further down the list, feel so stupid for leaving it so late to book but iv moved up one place already so fingers crossed! Hoping to go in June, I think that would be a fair way of allocating visas.

Advertisement