Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gottcha_goin

cocopop11 wrote: »
    Well they gave out a further 500+ visas last year didn't they?? I'm hopeful anyway thought I'd be further down the list, feel so stupid for leaving it so late to book but iv moved up one place already so fingers crossed! Hoping to go in June, I think that would be a fair way of allocating visas.

Would make more sense to priortise that way but I suppose the mantra of first come first served would go out the window if they done that! Looking to head in June myself. Number 11 on waiting list so Im pretty hopeful. I was trying to stave off applying till I got police cert and that but shot myself in the foot. I checked the programme at 9am the day it closed (said it was open)..checked again at noon and it said closed..applied then!!..I share somewhat of your optimism! But Im nervous the fact the year thats in it, i.e. Canadian Government may be relucatnt to issue more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

PLEASE say they did give out 500 more visas last year.

Im 43rd on the Student wait list! Just got my email there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 cocopop11

Would make more sense to priortise that way but I suppose the mantra of first come first served would go out the window if they done that! Looking to head in June myself. Number 11 on waiting list so Im pretty hopeful. I was trying to stave off applying till I got police cert and that but shot myself in the foot. I checked the programme at 9am the day it closed (said it was open)..checked again at noon and it said closed..applied then!!..I share somewhat of your optimism! But Im nervous the fact the year thats in it, i.e. Canadian Government may be relucatnt to issue more.

Yeah I had the same reasoning for not applying when it was open. it was only when i actually had the credit card in my hand and ready to book that i realised I was too late, wow i would say that 11 will get you sorted sooner rather than later, id like to hear updates ive a feeling you could be on your way by the end of the week.

Yeah I had the same reasoning for not applying when it was open. it was only when i actually had the credit card in my hand and ready to book that i realised I was too late, wow i would say that 11 will get you sorted sooner rather than later, id like to hear updates ive a feeling you could be on your way by the end of the week.

Ah no way!!..End of the week?! You definitely are the true optimist!! Id say Ill give it two months anyways of waiting. If nothing happens then Id say i'll cut myself from the list! However in saying that I went on the same programme back in 2008, applied in march went on to the waitlist and offered a place within a week (I think I was 50 something!!)..but I suppose they were different times :P I would be hopeful that students being students a lot will realise they havent got the money after all and cancel so the waiters can claim a spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,165 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Ah no way!!..End of the week?! You definitely are the true optimist!! Id say Ill give it two months anyways of waiting. If nothing happens then Id say i'll cut myself from the list! However in saying that I went on the same programme back in 2008, applied in march went on to the waitlist and offered a place within a week (I think I was 50 something!!)..but I suppose they were different times :P I would be hopeful that students being students a lot will realise they havent got the money after all and cancel so the waiters can claim a spot!

I thought you could only go once

• Advertisement

I thought you could only go once

They changed the criteria this year to allow people who have gone before to apply again. I dont know why but may point to the huge demand that it brought for the programme this year.

Yeah I suppose i am very optimistic on it, time will tell really. I will still check every day to see how fast it is moving, 2 months wouldn't be the worst wait of all time as long as it doesn't move into the period of time you are meant to be there. It seemed to move fast last year and this is my reason for such optimism!:D

Yeah I suppose i am very optimistic on it, time will tell really. I will still check every day to see how fast it is moving, 2 months wouldn't be the worst wait of all time as long as it doesn't move into the period of time you are meant to be there. It seemed to move fast last year and this is my reason for such optimism!:D

I know of some people who were heading out in October and stuff but only applied around august time. I think this 1000 visas max is a bit of a myth being honest. Never really materialises!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Tadhg21

Got the e-mail there aswel, im number 75 on the student list, good to hear your so optimistic cocopop11, you reckon we've a good chance?

Also the guards sent me out a cert today.
    Its a certificate of character, just says that i never commited any crimes... that they know of, thats the wrong cert is it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 counting

Hi,

I'm on the waitlist and expecting to be offered a place soon. I'm a chartered accountant - anyone any experience of Irish people getting CA jobs in Canada? probably in Toronto - but I'm open to suggestions

Thanks for the help

• Advertisement

counting wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm on the waitlist and expecting to be offered a place soon. I'm a chartered accountant - anyone any experience of Irish people getting CA jobs in Canada? probably in Toronto - but I'm open to suggestions

Thanks for the help

Hi,

Just as a matter of interest did you get a place off the waitlist?

In regards to CA jobs in Canada. I myself am studying accountancy and was thinking of emigrating to start a career over in Toronto. I found http://www.icao.on.ca/ this website of use if you are thinking of going for somewhere in Toronto. May be best to send them an email and they can give you some general advice. Im pretty sure you have to do some sort of convertor course similar to CPA. But as your qualified in Ireland under ACA that will get you in to most interviews I would presume. I know Canada have down as one of the areas for wanted occupancies accountancy so there must be some demand.

Tadhg21 wrote: »
    Got the e-mail there aswel, im number 75 on the student list, good to hear your so optimistic cocopop11, you reckon we've a good chance?

Also the guards sent me out a cert today.
    Its a certificate of character, just says that i never commited any crimes... that they know of, thats the wrong cert is it ?

Yeah well from reading last years forum i would be fairly confident of getting a visa, i know it depends a lot on how many more canadian immigration will issue but the economy is on an upturn there at the moment and this can only help our cause. In terms of the garda cert i am unsure as i am still awaiting word back on mine but it does sound like the document you need. Perhaps other members could answer this more accurately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 championship08

Got the email today!from what the rest of ye are saying here, i presume i should be optimistic being at 17 on the student list?! Anyone know how fast the list usually moves along?? Are we waiting for the CHC to issue more or is it just students deciding not to go? I called into USit myself last Friday....they said if your on the wating list, your usually waiting until around March to find out! Suppose thats not too bad now only being a month away! Only thing thats bothering me the flights...should I go book now at the current price or wait until I get offered a place? Dunno if prices will go up alot in the next month?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

What are the chances of me getting a place I wonder... in the 700's on the waiting list :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Im trying to be optimistic.... in the 700's on the waiting list!!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Glynner83

Im 230 on the waiting list, but there'll be a big jump around mid february when the 40 day registraion period is over, and I know last year the Canadian High Commision released 500 more visa's because of the demand. So fingers crossed it'll sort itself out in the next couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Im trying to be optimistic.... in the 700's on the waiting list!!! :(

Wow, really?! Jeez and I though I was bad at 38!!! Hopefully there'll be plenty of drop outs!
    Wish I had signed up earlier...pretty much been offered a job in Calgary, I'll be raging if I'm not able to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 juno2009

Woohoo... finally the police certs are ready so gonna send off all the forms this week!

Hoping to fly out May or June and heading to Toronto first. There has been a lot of talk of flights/insurance etc. on various threads but just wondering if anybody already has actually booked their flights/insurance? If so, would love to hear from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭rivermetimbers

now, i could to with a little advice from those of ye more apt with paperwork and the like...
    i have the garda check
    i printed and filled the forms off the site
    i have a clear photo copy of my passport...
    Q doi need any thing else to send off??
    in the section about the employer that you are going to work for in canada, well i am leaving this blank as i dont have a clue who i will be working for.... i presume this is the same for most of ye guys????
    i have rang USIT many times only to get the standard answer of "all Qs dealt with by e mail" aggravating to the last!

thank you in advance guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 juno2009

now, i could to with a little advice from those of ye more apt with paperwork and the like...
    i have the garda check
    i printed and filled the forms off the site
    i have a clear photo copy of my passport...
    Q doi need any thing else to send off??
    in the section about the employer that you are going to work for in canada, well i am leaving this blank as i dont have a clue who i will be working for.... i presume this is the same for most of ye guys????
    i have rang USIT many times only to get the standard answer of "all Qs dealt with by e mail" aggravating to the last!

thank you in advance guys

Hi there,

You also need 2 passport photos and a copy of your CV (no more than 2 pages long).
    It has all the info on the very front page of the application form from Usit: Do not put any information into sections 14 to 16. And In 17 you should put your estimated date of travel to Canada and the date in 18 should be one year from that date even if you do not intend to stay in Canada that long.

Hope that helps. I would reccommend you double check everything before sending off cos the last thing you want is for them to send it back to you cos you forgot to tick one little box or something as it would delay the whole thing for you.

• Advertisement

Got the email today!from what the rest of ye are saying here, i presume i should be optimistic being at 17 on the student list?! Anyone know how fast the list usually moves along?? Are we waiting for the CHC to issue more or is it just students deciding not to go? I called into USit myself last Friday....they said if your on the wating list, your usually waiting until around March to find out! Suppose thats not too bad now only being a month away! Only thing thats bothering me the flights...should I go book now at the current price or wait until I get offered a place? Dunno if prices will go up alot in the next month?!

I think booking flights now would be a bit risky. I doubt prices would change that drastically within a month. What did USIT say to you exactly when you went into them?? They are very non-responsive about the waitlist in general. I suppose March seems like the earliest it will start moving anyways as people's applications will only be going through at that stage from the confirmed ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 proevmaster

mooch001 wrote: »
    usit states u have to get the cert including fingerprints from australia and that its $105???
    Im still waiting for mine to return and my one from new zealand,which was free!!Does anyone know the time either of these take??

I had to get the one from Australia last year. Pain in the ass alright. Pay the Guards to take my finger prints and pay the aussie police to check it. It took about 5 weeks for it to return. They even put the wrong date of birth down on the form they sent back but I just chanced it anyway and it worked. I was lucky cos I only got my visa approved 6 days before I was set to leave.

Anyway Ive been living in Toronto since April 2009. Headin to new zealand next when the visa expires.

If anyone has any specific quesrions feel free to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 jasonf

I had to get the one from Australia last year. Pain in the ass alright. Pay the Guards to take my finger prints and pay the aussie police to check it. It took about 5 weeks for it to return. They even put the wrong date of birth down on the form they sent back but I just chanced it anyway and it worked. I was lucky cos I only got my visa approved 6 days before I was set to leave.

Anyway Ive been living in Toronto since April 2009. Headin to new zealand next when the visa expires.

If anyone has any specific quesrions feel free to ask.

hey i have a question, just wondering whats the work situation over there like? im a carpenter and afraid of not finding work, leave mid april to go over. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 37 karlcox2

jasonf wrote: »
    hey i have a question, just wondering whats the work situation over there like? im a carpenter and afraid of not finding work, leave mid april to go over. thanks
    My mate is over in vancouver and out the door with chippy work. should find work easily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 jasonf

karlcox wrote: »
    My mate is over in vancouver and out the door with chippy work. should find work easily

A good stuff, just a worry i think a lot of people have, so used to notting here work wise!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Irish-Invasion-of-Canada-2010/230232657214?ref=mf

lads join the facebook group to keep in touch and meet up over there.

heading to vancouver in july/ august with the mrs and hoping to sort flights insurance soon. even with paying to change flight date with BA (€150) seems to work out nearly 150 cheaper than usit so think ill go with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cmcanada

Canada wrote: »
    Hey all,

I am heading to Vancouver on my own late April (22nd) I hope to get a place in Kits beach if possible and a proffessional job if at all possible.
    Would so love to have a travel mate as I am deadly nervous going alone! 28 year old girl by the way, let me know if anyone is interested in becoming travel buddies :)

I am waiting on my U35 visa and hope to go to Vancouvre to work at a professional job. I am 27 year old female and would love for someone to go with as all my friends are either settled or in oz. Id be def interested in a travel buddy.. I am easy with dates as I am still on the waitlist but as soon as i know i will keep ya posted.

Just shot up to 55 this morning! :D

jasonf wrote: »
    A good stuff, just a worry i think a lot of people have, so used to notting here work wise!
    of course man, ive been lucky in the fact i have been employed trhoughout as quantity surveyor but im earning about as much as a grade D at the moment due to pay cuts so will be glad to go somewhere where im not shafted for money as much as here

• Advertisement

Just shot up to 55 this morning! :D

I think the waitlist moved between 15-20 places today for the student one. Got a confirmed place today. They dont send you an email just update your account online. if you're not watching that you could miss the boat. Your optimism served me well after all. Didnt even take a week..2 days!!:D

Advertisement