Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Has anyone booked/been pricing flights for Torornto or Vancouver?

I have Trailfinders holding a place for me flying Dublin-Vancouver in August and then returning Toronto-Dublin at a later date. Its costing €476 with an extra €100 to change the return date to August 2011. Anyone doing any better than this?

I was planning on getting a one way ticket but the cheapist I can find is €375to fly direct to Vancouver on the same outbound date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 cocopop11

I think the waitlist moved between 15-20 places today for the student one. Got a confirmed place today. They dont send you an email just update your account online. if you're not watching that you could miss the boat. Your optimism served me well after all. Didnt even take a week..2 days!!:D

haha i was about to mail you to find out, it pays to be optimistic! congratulations.. ! have you got everything else sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭goldjogger

dceire wrote: »
    Has anyone booked/been pricing flights for Torornto or Vancouver?

I have Trailfinders holding a place for me flying Dublin-Vancouver in August and then returning Toronto-Dublin at a later date. Its costing €476 with an extra €100 to change the return date to August 2011. Anyone doing any better than this?

I was planning on getting a one way ticket but the cheapist I can find is €375to fly direct to Vancouver on the same outbound date.

Have you got a quote from USIT? Find out when your changing your return ticket if you have to pay the flight fare difference.

I got a quote from USIT for flights, insurance and a SIM card for 1044euro, thats if I pay before the 20th of Feb, after that its 1144euro. I'm really thinking of going with it and paying before the 20th of feb.

I have priced around and going booking flights and insurance myself is working out at;
    flights ireland to montreal return with british airways - 550euro approx, insurance 195euro, to change return date is 100euro plus flight fare difference, 50euro to USIT to process flight and insurance details to canada, it is working out at a minimum of 895euro becuase i can't calculate the fare difference. a saving of 149euro.

Flights when i checked for montreal and Toronto were working out at pretty much the same price.

Have you got your insurance sorted?

goldjogger wrote: »
    Have you got a quote from USIT? Find out when your changing your return ticket if you have to pay the flight fare difference.

I got a quote from USIT for flights, insurance and a SIM card for 1044euro, thats if I pay before the 20th of Feb, after that its 1144euro. I'm really thinking of going with it and paying before the 20th of feb.

I have priced around and going booking flights and insurance myself is working out at;
    flights ireland to montreal return with british airways - 550euro approx, insurance 195euro, to change return date is 100euro plus flight fare difference, 50euro to USIT to process flight and insurance details to canada, it is working out at a minimum of 895euro because i can't calculate the fare difference. a saving of 149euro.

Flights when i checked for montreal and Toronto were working out at pretty much the same price.

Have you got your insurance sorted?

Not yet but priced it at the same as you €195 for the year although I think I'll take the €235 premium package.

I got a price of €1131 from USIT for the return flights and insurance. Booking outside USIT for the same flights and insurance is working out at €860 including the €50 paid to USIT and €100 to change the date of my return flight from Toronto. Thats a saving of €171 on USIT's price if you include their €100 discount.

Why are you thinking of booking with USIT if you can save €149 by doing it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gottcha_goin

cocopop11 wrote: »
    haha i was about to mail you to find out, it pays to be optimistic! congratulations.. ! have you got everything else sorted?

Cheers man. ye I have police cert lying on my shelf!! Im goina accept it tomorrow. I have a few mates down around where u are in the waiting list. Running a bit of a risk accepting and that but theres nothing else i can do. Just all I can do is hope that they get confirmed soonish. So even though Im confirmed Im still goina be watching the list attentively!

• Advertisement

Cheers man. ye I have police cert lying on my shelf!! Im goina accept it tomorrow. I have a few mates down around where u are in the waiting list. Running a bit of a risk accepting and that but theres nothing else i can do. Just all I can do is hope that they get confirmed soonish. So even though Im confirmed Im still goina be watching the list attentively!

Yeah you should accept im sure there will be a few hundred more places given out. Well once im accepted you're sure to hear me bragging on about it on this! What is your situation with flights and insurance?

Yeah you should accept im sure there will be a few hundred more places given out. Well once im accepted you're sure to hear me bragging on about it on this! What is your situation with flights and insurance?

I have just browsed a while back in relation to flights and insurance. I doubt I will booking anything till march-ish anyways, no real rush on things. As far as direct flights go I think Aer Transit are cheapest coming in at about €500. But then you can get all sorts of flights for €400 ret on other sites but with the added stopoffs in heathrow/newark. Insurance wise I was looking at getcover.ie and it was coming in at about €85. Ill worry about flights when all my mates get confirmed. Doubt Ill be booking anything b4 march as i said!..Are you going to Toronto?

I have just browsed a while back in relation to flights and insurance. I doubt I will booking anything till march-ish anyways, no real rush on things. As far as direct flights go I think Aer Transit are cheapest coming in at about €500. But then you can get all sorts of flights for €400 ret on other sites but with the added stopoffs in heathrow/newark. Insurance wise I was looking at getcover.ie and it was coming in at about €85. Ill worry about flights when all my mates get confirmed. Doubt Ill be booking anything b4 march as i said!..Are you going to Toronto?

Air Transat do seem to be the best value around, one way flights in june coming in at around €280-€300. I think a one way ticket is the way to go! Yeah im heading to Toronto it sounds like a great city, and its not far from the likes of New York, Detroit and Boston. Is that where youre headed?

Air Transat do seem to be the best value around, one way flights in june coming in at around €280-€300. I think a one way ticket is the way to go! Yeah im heading to Toronto it sounds like a great city, and its not far from the likes of New York, Detroit and Boston. Is that where youre headed?

Yep heading to Toronto. Its a great city I must say! You can get a bus/train to any of the places you mentioned there in the States. I done th trip from Toronto to NYC before on a bus. It wasnt the most comfortable of times but was very cheapish..about $180 return. 10 hour journey though!!..What possesses you to go near detriot!!..That place is meant to be very run down!..Chicago is always a better option!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭goldjogger

dceire wrote: »
    Not yet but priced it at the same as you €195 for the year although I think I'll take the €235 premium package.

I got a price of €1131 from USIT for the return flights and insurance. Booking outside USIT for the same flights and insurance is working out at €860 including the €50 paid to USIT and €100 to change the date of my return flight from Toronto. Thats a saving of €171 on USIT's price if you include their €100 discount.

Why are you thinking of booking with USIT if you can save €149 by doing it yourself?

860euro is pretty good, it wud be hard to get better than that i'd say.

I booked my flights and insurance with USIT a few mins ago and got it for 946euro they knocked off around another 100euro off the original price. I think is pretty good, I might have saved a few more euro's booking by myself, but i like the flexibility with the flights with USIT, I'm not sure of my travel plan when I get to Canada so to change my flight home either date or airport will cost only 75euro. At the moment i'm flying into Montreal and home from Vancouver.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 jamieharte

I'm down to number 67 on the student waiting list. Was 86 yesterday so things are looking up! I'm not travelling til october so hopefully things will get sorted soon and i can start looking at flights. Everything with USIT seems to be cloaked in mystery though so i'm not taking anything for granted at this stage..

Yep heading to Toronto. Its a great city I must say! You can get a bus/train to any of the places you mentioned there in the States. I done th trip from Toronto to NYC before on a bus. It wasnt the most comfortable of times but was very cheapish..about $180 return. 10 hour journey though!!..What possesses you to go near detriot!!..That place is meant to be very run down!..Chicago is always a better option!

Cool i'll take note of that would be nice to see a bit of the US. So you were there previously, and do you think you will stay longer this time if you can get a sponsor?

Cool i'll take note of that would be nice to see a bit of the US. So you were there previously, and do you think you will stay longer this time if you can get a sponsor?

I doubt it! As much as I would like to and that Im a bit young to emigrate just yet. Wouldnt really have any financial grounding or any worthwhile experience yet to have confidence of starting afresh over there. Its something for the future though. In saying that if a great job came along I would consider my options! I know a few people that have stayed on there (both legally and illegally!!)

goldjogger wrote: »
    860euro is pretty good, it wud be hard to get better than that i'd say.

I booked my flights and insurance with USIT a few mins ago and got it for 946euro they knocked off around another 100euro off the original price. I think is pretty good, I might have saved a few more euro's booking by myself, but i like the flexibility with the flights with USIT, I'm not sure of my travel plan when I get to Canada so to change my flight home either date or airport will cost only 75euro. At the moment i'm flying into Montreal and home from Vancouver.

€946 isn't too bad I suppose especially if your looking for that flexibility.

I think I'll book my flights with Trailfinders tomorrow. It'll cost €476 and then I can leave the insurance for another while yet.

Just a word of warning to anyone thinking of going with Air Transat, the guy I was speaking to from Trailfinders at the Travel Expo in the RDS two weeks ago thinks its highly likely that they could be out of business come the summer so just be careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 11carl

ibh wrote: »
    Hey, been in Vancouver for about a month but no job yet. Just wondering what bars on Granville st are good for a Sat night? Haven't been out too much cause money tight until I get some work.
    Just me and my girlfriend so we prob won't be heading to a club, just somewhere to have a few drinks and relax. Living in Kits, lovely place but the pubs are pretty shit. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hey, i'm moving to Canada in April, either Toronto or Vancouver but not sure yet.

What kind of work are you looking for, just trying to get an idear of what's out there?!

Hope something comes up for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

was just looking at the trailfinders site. it says 465 with british airways. is that a set price or will there be the usual hidden charges that doubles the price :rolleyes:
    also can these flights have a return date in summer 2011?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 slayer83666

cmcanada wrote: »
    I am waiting on my U35 visa and hope to go to Vancouvre to work at a professional job. I am 27 year old female and would love for someone to go with as all my friends are either settled or in oz. Id be def interested in a travel buddy.. I am easy with dates as I am still on the waitlist but as soon as i know i will keep ya posted.

Hi I'm a 26 year female on the wait list at the moment but jumped 40 places in last week so am hopeful. Would also love to have someone to meet up with over there as I'm heading over on my lonesome

• Registered Users Posts: 23 proevmaster

Its not too bad in Toronto. Not as bad as what I hear about in Ireland anyway. I was waitin a while before I got a job tho. They're out there but you really have to flood the place with resumes to get anywhere. Suppose it depends on the industry too. I did computers in college and I didnt have much luck but I got a job in a restaurant which pays ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Christina.b

Hi everyone,
    I am a 22 year old female,
    My visa is been processed and I am expected to have my visa in 6 weeks or so my friend dropped out of the programme and looks like I am heading to Toronto by myself around the end of April early May, I have been to Toronto last September on holidays I have no problem going on my own as I found it a safe place and the people are nice but saying that I would love another girl to keep me company if anyone is going around the same time as me and would like a travel Buddie let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 jasonf

Just starting to fill in all the forms for usit, just have a questions for the people that have filled them in ,

Theres a part there with additional information, where it says family composition , did ye put in all the details of your familys or is this only if there going to canada to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

11carl wrote: »
    Hey, i'm moving to Canada in April, either Toronto or Vancouver but not sure yet.

What kind of work are you looking for, just trying to get an idear of what's out there?!

Hope something comes up for you!

Looking for work as a Mechanical Engineer but with the Olympics starting now i'm just gonna do some temporary work till they pass.

My vote is for Vancouver big time. Much nicer than Toronto, although there are probably more jobs going in Toronto, in my area anyway.

Gd luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 11carl

ibh wrote: »
    Looking for work as a Mechanical Engineer but with the Olympics starting now i'm just gonna do some temporary work till they pass.

My vote is for Vancouver big time. Much nicer than Toronto, although there are probably more jobs going in Toronto, in my area anyway.

Gd luck

Cheers ibh,

I would be looking for work in architecture, but I would happily take any type of work be it office work, bar/ restaurant work etc. I hear Vancouver is cool, so I might try get there first and scope out the situation. Is temp work easy to come across?

Enjoy the olympics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

High up on the waiting list :( .... anyone want to sell me their place haha :P

High up on the waiting list :( .... anyone want to sell me their place haha :P

haha .. not enough money in the world!!

meanie :p when are you off... depress me more? haha

meanie :p when are you off... depress me more? haha

Number 54 on the waiting list, plan on going to toronto in june, a badly needed change of scenery :)

How far back are you?

Dont make any smart or negative comment ok :) ... wouldnt be able to take it in my unstable state regarding this matter :rolleyes: 711 :(

Dont make any smart or negative comment ok :) ... wouldnt be able to take it in my unstable state regarding this matter :rolleyes: 711 :(

Well they gave out 500+ extra visas last year and i hear the demand this year is unprecedented! So theres a good chance they could offer a lot more this year. Id stay positive in any case. They tend to give visas based on demand and i hear the waiting list is already huge. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bassy1

achbons wrote: »
    Planning to fly into Vancouver, sightsee for a week or two, then actually settle/ job-hunt in Calgary (Alberta).

Thats exactly what I did. Wouldn't recommend Calgary though. Don't know about post recession but when I was there in 2007 there were lots of jobs, with high wages but the city is increadably expensive because of the oil boom. I remember all the locals saying why the hell did you guys come to Calgary? I also remember paying ridiculous prices for food! I'd say stay in Vancouver if I were to do it again.
    What I would recommend though is visiting Banff which is north of Calgary. Its absolutely beautiful. Check out Lake Louise and the hot springs, lots of other stuff there too.

• Advertisement

Well they gave out 500+ extra visas last year and i hear the demand this year is unprecedented! So theres a good chance they could offer a lot more this year. Id stay positive in any case. They tend to give visas based on demand and i hear the waiting list is already huge. :)

Advertisement