Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Sitting at #24 in the waiting list. On Thursday i jumped from 43 to 24 so i came on today like "Aw yeah, where am i now like 3rd yeah?" But i havent moved :(

Im optimistic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Sitting at #24 in the waiting list. On Thursday i jumped from 43 to 24 so i came on today like "Aw yeah, where am i now like 3rd yeah?" But i havent moved :(

Im optimistic though.

Wanna swap places, the waiting seems to be getting to you :p ... go on... ill do anything!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

inode wrote: »
    was just looking at the trailfinders site. it says 465 with british airways. is that a set price or will there be the usual hidden charges that doubles the price :rolleyes:
    also can these flights have a return date in summer 2011?

That's pretty much the price you'll pay. I booked with Trailfinders during the week and its costing me €476 return. I'm flying into Vancouver on 18 August and home from Toronto. You can't book your return flights for 2011 so my return flight is in November but I will be changing this to August 2011 and I will be charged €100 for the privilege :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gottcha_goin

Just got an email from USIT informing me that the 40 day deadline for document submission is fast approaching. Does anyone know when this exactly is for the student programme?? I only got accepted off the waitlist last week and they are already demanding documents be sent in. Doesen't seem very right?? Going to ring USIT tomorrow to see what the crack is with it. Just a word of warning if anyone is on waitlist..have your documents ready to go!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 unreg55555

Hi dudes

Got my place confirmed! I'm thinking Toronto and probably won't be able to leave until September - better late than never I suppose! Does anyone have any info on Halifax by any chance?

I'm going solo as well - 23 year old male - hoping to get into a hostel when get over there and hopefully meet people then - but if anyones thinking similar destination similar time period give us a shout! Have traveled a bit already but never solo so not sure what to expect when I get over there!

Has anyone started looking for jobs or anything over there yet?

I presume it's 40 days from when you get your confirmation e-mail - but best to check with USIT! I got my police cert in 10 days and am filling out my forms at the moment - can't sleep!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 karlcox2

jasonf wrote: »
    Just starting to fill in all the forms for usit, just have a questions for the people that have filled them in ,

Theres a part there with additional information, where it says family composition , did ye put in all the details of your familys or is this only if there going to canada to?

id say its just if they are coming with you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

unreg55555 wrote: »
    Hi dudes

Got my place confirmed! I'm thinking Toronto and probably won't be able to leave until September - better late than never I suppose! Does anyone have any info on Halifax by any chance?

I'm going solo as well - 23 year old male - hoping to get into a hostel when get over there and hopefully meet people then - but if anyones thinking similar destination similar time period give us a shout! Have traveled a bit already but never solo so not sure what to expect when I get over there!

Has anyone started looking for jobs or anything over there yet?

I presume it's 40 days from when you get your confirmation e-mail - but best to check with USIT! I got my police cert in 10 days and am filling out my forms at the moment - can't sleep!

I was in Halifax airport briefly a few years back when my flight from Toronto had to divert there and the word best used to describe it is "Nothingness"

I dont know a great deal about the place except for there isnt much there and it was referred to in a film, which i cant recall the name of, as "the armpit of Canada" or something to that affect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

Im just back from Halifax. I was there for a couple of weeks at the start of January. Mt brother in law lives there, he is from Toronto and has moved out there with work. Its not very big, if you know Derry city, its like there x 2. The surrounding 50 miles encompasses 500,000 people. There are 6 Universities there and 3 army bases. The Canadian army's official weapons dump is also there.

Fishing is a big industry, anything maritime related is big as its the deepest port in the North Atlantic. People are pleasant, even though it was the heart of winter. You would get to know the city in about 2 days.

I was told that there was no boom there, and there also was no bust... things have stabilized in Halifax for the last 10 years, the people from there tend to be home-birds. Its not uncommon to meet people in their 50's who have never been to Toronto.

The military is pretty big there, many local soldiers are currently in Afghanistan, so its a politically conservative area which also means that its not very multi-cultural. If you want an insight, watch the Canadian Trailer Park Boys, it was made there. The summer there is supposed to be great there.... In my opinion though, Vancouver Island would top the pole for quality of life during the summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mooch001

in the family composition part did ye put brothers and sisters r just is it just if ye have children???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 juno2009

mooch001 wrote: »
    in the family composition part did ye put brothers and sisters r just is it just if ye have children???

That part is if you have any children so if you don't then just put N/A in there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mooch001

cheers!
    do we know if the 40 day deadline is 40 days straight or 40 working days?:)

mooch001 wrote: »
    cheers!
    do we know if the 40 day deadline is 40 days straight or 40 working days?:)

If you email USIT, they will tell you the exact date that your documents need to be in for. Avoids any confusion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 juno2009

I think it is 40 days straight from when you register, but I reckon they have to give you some leeway seeing as we forked out 400 quid. Yeah prob best to give them a ring or email to double check.

Anyone booked flights/insurance yet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

juno2009 wrote: »
    I think it is 40 days straight from when you register, but I reckon they have to give you some leeway seeing as we forked out 400 quid.

The other side of that though is that there are hundreds in the queue waiting for a place if the applicants that are offered places don't accept them or are not ready. Then they've got 40 days to accept or get themselves sorted out.

If you're in the queue now get your garda clearances or foreign clearances now. A few posts back some guys had waited until they were accepted to apply for their Australian clearance certs and then found out that the Australian police take a few weeks to turn around certs.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭amber23

hey,

i havent booked flights yet, i plan to book them myself but i asked USIT for a quote out of curiosity. they quoted me €1,165 for return flights to Vancouver with one free flight change, insurance for the year with winter sports cover, and a sim card. seems fairly pricey to me!??

does anyone know what kind of money all this should be costing? on Blue Insurance, cover for the year with winter sports seems to only be around €100 -€150, i doubt flights would cost a grand would they to Vancouver? in saying that theres a free flight change, i think most airlines charge €150 to change a flight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 nothingwitty

hi everyone,

I'm going to put my name down for the waiting list today but i dont have my passort details handy, it gives u an option to skip this, once you have them for your application!....will this affect you being offered a visa from the waiting list??.....or should i just go ahead and try get on the waiting list??

Thanks in advance :)

hi everyone,

I'm going to put my name down for the waiting list today but i dont have my passort details handy, it gives u an option to skip this, once you have them for your application!....will this affect you being offered a visa from the waiting list??.....or should i just go ahead and try get on the waiting list??

Thanks in advance :)

I would suggest you apply asap. It doesnt matter if you dont have passport details, you are given the option to skip as you said. The only thing is once you are a confirmed from the waiting list and pay your fee you wont be able to download your application forms thill you have updated your passport details. It wont affect you getting offered a place whatsoever.

I would suggest you apply asap. It doesnt matter if you dont have passport details, you are given the option to skip as you said. The only thing is once you are a confirmed from the waiting list and pay your fee you wont be able to download your application forms thill you have updated your passport details. It wont affect you getting offered a place whatsoever.

Thanks a million for the advice, off to apply now...although this late, i cant imagine id get offered a place this late!.....

Thanks a million for the advice, off to apply now...although this late, i cant imagine id get offered a place this late!.....

Are you going for the student or the U35??..From the posts on here i think the waitlist for the U35 is in the 700s. Some amount of demand this year.

Are you going for the student or the U35??..From the posts on here i think the waitlist for the U35 is in the 700s. Some amount of demand this year.

for the U35 one!....really?...and does anyone know if ppl on the waiting list didnt get offered on?

• Advertisement

Dont take my word on the numbers now, Im not overally sure. Generally speaking, I think everyone on the waitlist gets a place. Its just when that is the main issue.

yeah have heard that alright!.....i dont really mind about the time frame, would just be delighted about getting one!!!

thanks for your help :)

one more thing, i know im getting ahead of myself, but from what i've been reading the Garda certs seem to cause a problem also! do you know if u have to fill out a form for one, or do you jsut write out a letter?!

yeah have heard that alright!.....i dont really mind about the time frame, would just be delighted about getting one!!!

thanks for your help :)

one more thing, i know im getting ahead of myself, but from what i've been reading the Garda certs seem to cause a problem also! do you know if u have to fill out a form for one, or do you jsut write out a letter?!

never mind!!! hehe :)

just went on to http://www.garda.ie/FAQ/Default.aspx?FAQCategory=36#FAQ2739

So am going to write off now to the local garda station now and request one!!!.....

According to the Garda website you have to write to the superintendent of the district yourself an request one. However, according to USIT and whats common practice is to go to your local garda station and they will give you a form for garda certificate. They will try to fob you off and tell you that you have to ring a place in Thurles but dont take that excuse whatsoever. They have forms that you can fill out there. Basically you fill that in (very basic stuff) and hand it back to the local garda station with a stamped envelope, copy of your birth cert and passport. They will send it to the superintendent of your district and it should get back to you in 2-4 weeks.

I would try get a contact name in the garda station your dealing with so if your cert goes haywire you know who to call!! Just get a name and rmbr the date and time you dealt with the person. Thats just precaution but worth doing!

According to the Garda website you have to write to the superintendent of the district yourself an request one. However, according to USIT and whats common practice is to go to your local garda station and they will give you a form for garda certificate. They will try to fob you off and tell you that you have to ring a place in Thurles but dont take that excuse whatsoever. They have forms that you can fill out there. Basically you fill that in (very basic stuff) and hand it back to the local garda station with a stamped envelope, copy of your birth cert and passport. They will send it to the superintendent of your district and it should get back to you in 2-4 weeks.

I would try get a contact name in the garda station your dealing with so if your cert goes haywire you know who to call!! Just get a name and rmbr the date and time you dealt with the person. Thats just precaution but worth doing!

Perfect, thanks for that!...i would have just sent off the letter, and id prob still be waiting here in a months time!!!....perfect, will call in over the weekend now and try get that ball rolling!....must try root out my birth cert!!...thanks again for all the advice, appreciate it!

if i get a visa (fingers and toes crossed!) ill back looking for more advice no doubt!!!....

Well i put my name on the waiting list yesterday and am currently at 873!!!!........doesnt sound too good, but hope they shell out alot more visas cause the demand is high!!

Well i put my name on the waiting list yesterday and am currently at 873!!!!........doesnt sound too good, but hope they shell out alot more visas cause the demand is high!!

The norm is that the Canadian High Commission issues another 500 visas at some stage. I dont when that is though. I would predict soon enough, before summer time anyways, which is the time most people try to head over at. Apart from that, my thinking would be that: why keep the waitlist open if USIT don't think they will be in a position to offer these people a place? If they didnt think the numbers were feasible then they would of closed the waitlist, if only for a while!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bcoogie

Myself and my girlfriend are going back to Vancouver later in the year having spent a year there previously on student visa. We have a pet labrador and really don't want to leave him behind. Does anyone know if it will be possible for us to bring him or how would i go about it. I haven't been able to find out anything definitive and would love to speak to someone who has done it before or tried to do it!
    Any kind of advice would be appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bluevodka40

amber23 wrote: »
    hey,

i havent booked flights yet, i plan to book them myself but i asked USIT for a quote out of curiosity. they quoted me €1,165 for return flights to Vancouver with one free flight change, insurance for the year with winter sports cover, and a sim card. seems fairly pricey to me!??

does anyone know what kind of money all this should be costing? on Blue Insurance, cover for the year with winter sports seems to only be around €100 -€150, i doubt flights would cost a grand would they to Vancouver? in saying that theres a free flight change, i think most airlines charge €150 to change a flight?

Have usit said it's ok to use Blue Insurance policy??

Getting quotes of 285 from FYI and 307 from Blue!!!
    Anyone doin any better??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Tadhg21

Fella on liveline radio show today telling people to think twice if they're planning on getting work in canada,

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/player_av.html?0,null,200,http://dynamic.rte.ie/quickaxs/209-rte-liveline-Thursday.smil

what do people think of this??

listen from 5.50

Advertisement