Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Tadhg21 wrote: »
    Fella on liveline radio show today telling people to think twice if they're planning on getting work in canada,

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/player_av.html?0,null,200,http://dynamic.rte.ie/quickaxs/209-rte-liveline-Thursday.smil

what do people think of this??

listen from 5.50

Thats too bad.

The thing to remember is that yes, Canada didnt get hit as hard as the US or the UK but it doesnt mean it didnt suffer and it certainly isnt some kind of boom country. Maybe if you go and work in the oil sands but otherwise not.

Also bear in mind its a small country in population. 280million people in the USA, but only 34 million in Canada.

Having said that Best of Luck to all that are in Canada now.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

The thing that alot of people don't realise about coming here is that you will find it very difficult if not impossible to find a career type job, most third level qualifications from Ireland won't be recognised here, you will often find that you have to sit exams to show you have relevant qualifications and knowledge.
    Most people will end up on a building site, restaurant/bar or some temp work here or there, you will find yourself in direct competition for jobs with Canadians and they will be given the job before you will, it does come down to who you know alot of the time, networking is what it's all about here.
    With regards to the guy on the radio saying cost of living is cheaper here than in Ireland, don't believe the hype, once you start earning and living on that money you will soon realise that it's not that cheap, wages are lower here, if you plan to go out drinking often it will burn a big hole in your pocket, especially in Vancouver.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭amber23

Have usit said it's ok to use Blue Insurance policy??

Getting quotes of 285 from FYI and 307 from Blue!!!
    Anyone doin any better??

im not 100% sure if it is ok to use blue, but USIT told me the admin fee for checking the insurance in €50 and same for the flights so take the extra €100 check for flights and insurance into consideration.

also they sent me on the insurance document, as in the type of policy that would have to match theres. maybe give them an email and ask for a copy, just to see if Blue's or FYI's policy are up to scratch. i would post it on here only its 46 pages long!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 daviddob

i listened to that guy on liveline today. scary stuff, i'm heading to toronto in may, no contacts.

it sounded to me tho that he was looking for something career related, he mentioned the fact that a couple of them have masters degrees etc. I do too but i wanna work on a site, in a bar, whatever cos i'm only going for a year.

someone tell me something positive!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

daviddob wrote: »
    i listened to that guy on liveline today. scary stuff, i'm heading to toronto in may, no contacts.

it sounded to me tho that he was looking for something career related, he mentioned the fact that a couple of them have masters degrees etc. I do too but i wanna work on a site, in a bar, whatever cos i'm only going for a year.

someone tell me something positive!!

It sounds like the guy is young so maybe he has no work experience, especially in his field of study. I would expect that having work experience is key when looking for work anywhere, or else you look for graduate programs, which graduates should do, as often you cannot do them when you do have work experience. These graduate programs are a good way to get into companies as they often result in a good career in the company.

Also I think sending in CV's is not sufficient these days, you need to send a unique cover letter with each CV and tell them why you want this job and why you would be good at it.

It is a good idea to listen to the advice from people, but maybe Joe Duffy listeners are a little more neagative than most.

My plan on going to Canada is to try it out and if it does not work, head to the UK. I think it's better to go over and try it for yourself than not try at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 juno2009

mairtin888 wrote: »
    My plan on going to Canada is to try it out and if it does not work, head to the UK. I think it's better to go over and try it for yourself than not try at all.

I agree. At the end of the day there are more opportunities over there then there are here so for everyone who is planning on going over I would say to just stay positive and give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 nicola90

hi just wondering if anyone could give any advice on where the best place is to go in canada for work??me and my boyfriend are hoping to go around the start of may.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

juno2009 wrote: »
    I agree. At the end of the day there are more opportunities over there then there are here so for everyone who is planning on going over I would say to just stay positive and give it a go.

Exactly, I'm looking to go over...17th on the waiting list at the moment so fingers crossed!
    No point going over looking for a degree related job, hopefully my years of retail experience here will go down well over there :D Look up craiglist, I've emailed a couple of companies / shops just wondering what the job situation is like and what are the possibilities of picking up a job when I get there etc....gotta a couple of replies, basically as ever just keep on applying for jobs and keep your eye out for staff wanted signs/ads and something will come along!

Canada '10!!!! YEAHHHHH!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

I am planning to go to Toronto as it has the largest population, thus it has (should!) the most jobs!

I would like to go to Montreal, but the language thing would just be an extra barrier for me.

Another plus on Toronto is it's location. It has surrounding towns / cities like Mississauga where lots of big companies like Microsoft base their Canadian HQ. Also, you are then close to other cities like Ottawa and Montreal.

It also depends on what kind of work ye want, if ye want to do like hotel / bar work, then maybe the out of the way ski resorts are where ye should go, although I assume May is close season, but maybe there is snow all year.

If either of you is an engineer or can drive heavy duty machinery like excavators, even trucks, then maybe Edmonton or Calgary in Alberta would be where to go. That area is where the oil industry is biggest.

Also there is Vancouver, but for me it is too far west but it is meant to be the best city over there.

It is a difficult question to answer, it depends what you can do and what you want to do. For me, Toronto is best for IT jobs. Alberta is best for oil jobs. Anywhere in Quebec if ye have French should be a great help in getting a job. I'm sure it's possible to get work there with no French, but a lot of jobs there require you to be bi-lingual. If ye don't mind remote, small towns, then I think these might be good for work due to lack of population.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Tadhg21

Ya i'd say that guy on liveline scarred a lot of people, with so many hoping to go its not nice to hear something so negative. I just posted it to hear peoples response, I suppose i was hoping everybody would say 'ah dont mind him there's plenty work here!'

Im hoping to head in june myself, on the waitlist.
    Hopefully it will be easy pick up something, im not looking for a career there.
    And its true there's never any good news on the joe duffy show!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 CorkGirlyRebel

Hi Guys!!
    Myself and my boyfriend are heading to Toronto mid Sept when we finish college...

USIT gave us a travel quote of €1,056 to travel with Air Canada or €950 to travel with BA which includes 1 years travel insurance, work insurance and a sim card pack for the mobile when we get over there...

We are curently looking into alternative ways to travel to Toronto as we thought this was slightly expensive and perhaps we could get a better price if we organised all the travel and insurance ourselves....

Has anybody looked into alternative ways to travel and if so what prices are involved...Please let me know I love a bargain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Has anybody looked into alternative ways to travel and if so what prices are involved...Please let me know I love a bargain :)

I booked return flights with BA through trailfinders for €476 flying to Vancouver in August and returning from Toronto. It's going to cost me an extra €100 to change the date of my return flight to August 2011 as they cant book that far in advance.

A years travel insurance with www.backpackertravelinsurance.ie works out at something like €195.

So thats €476 + €100 + €195 = €771 which isnt too bad & I think I'm even getting a free sim card off Trailfinders as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

The guy on Liveline must have scared people off cos my place on the waiting list jumped a good bit the last few days... great :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭jimmypitt

dceire wrote: »
    I booked return flights with BA through trailfinders for €476 flying to Vancouver in August and returning from Toronto. It's going to cost me an extra €100 to change the date of my return flight to August 2011 as they cant book that far in advance.

A years travel insurance with www.backpackertravelinsurance.ie works out at something like €195.

So thats €476 + €100 + €195 = €771 which isnt too bad & I think I'm even getting a free sim card off Trailfinders as well.

Have you had your insurance and flights approved by USIT?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Tadhg21

The guy on Liveline must have scared people off cos my place on the waiting list jumped a good bit the last few days... great :D

Sure thats great, if it works like that I should ring up liveline myself tomorrow! Let on im out there and things are very bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭chargerman

Hey , I'M MOVING TO TORONTO IN APRIL. i'LL BE GOING ON MY OWN SO JUST WONDERING IF THERE IS OTHERS GOING ALONE TOO...PERHAPS FROM LIMERICK?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gottcha_goin

What exactly is the process when going about booking flights and insurance. I know the whole thing about you can book flights wherever (not just from USIT) but how does the process go after this??

Do you have to pay USIT to book somewhere else (Ive heard various people saying 40/50 euro or no charge at all)?? When u book your flights some place else do you then inform USIT of the details? Do they need "approve" such before you can leave the country?

Just a bit confused as the whole flights and insurance process. Any clarification would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Elliegab

What exactly is the process when going about booking flights and insurance. I know the whole thing about you can book flights wherever (not just from USIT) but how does the process go after this??

Do you have to pay USIT to book somewhere else (Ive heard various people saying 40/50 euro or no charge at all)?? When u book your flights some place else do you then inform USIT of the details? Do they need "approve" such before you can leave the country?

Just a bit confused as the whole flights and insurance process. Any clarification would be great.

i emailed them with a copy of my flights confirmation email, my insurance validation certificate, and a copy of the policy i booked. a few days later they sent me a waiver letter in the post (just says that you understand if the airline goes bust etc that usit will offer you no help) which i had to sign and return to them. they've told me now my flights and insurance are approved and i have to ring up the call centre to pay the admin fee. in the letter it said this was € 50, not sure if that is altogether or if it's 50 for flights and 50 for insurnace. i'll be ringing them tomorrow to pay it so will let ye know.

Elliegab wrote: »
    i emailed them with a copy of my flights confirmation email, my insurance validation certificate, and a copy of the policy i booked. a few days later they sent me a waiver letter in the post (just says that you understand if the airline goes bust etc that usit will offer you no help) which i had to sign and return to them. they've told me now my flights and insurance are approved and i have to ring up the call centre to pay the admin fee. in the letter it said this was € 50, not sure if that is altogether or if it's 50 for flights and 50 for insurnace. i'll be ringing them tomorrow to pay it so will let ye know.

Could you tell us exactly what policy you got and with who? What cost also please? I just don't want to get insurance only for USIT to tell me it will not suffice.

Cheers.

jimmypitt wrote: »
    Could you tell us exactly what policy you got and with who? What cost also please? I just don't want to get insurance only for USIT to tell me it will not suffice.

Cheers.

hiya, i got the premier plus policy with backpackertravelinsurance (i think it's a trading name of blue insurances) for 190 euro. if you want to add wintersports to that its 235. i *think* (but am not 100% sure) their standard policy may also meet usit's requirements (and is cheaper than the premier plus policy), but i wanted to go for the better policy on personal preference. i'll probably add wintersports at a later date if i do end up doing any skiing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gottcha_goin

Elliegab wrote: »

Thats great. The €50 thing is a bit of a joke though. It hardly costs them that in administration to check a policy. Be interested to know what the full cost when u ring them up.

Which airline did you book with? Someone was saying a while back that Aer Transit may be in trouble come summer time.

Thats great. The €50 thing is a bit of a joke though. It hardly costs them that in administration to check a policy. Be interested to know what the full cost when u ring them up.

Which airline did you book with? Someone was saying a while back that Aer Transit may be in trouble come summer time.

yeah it's a total joke but even with the admin fee and allowing for the 100 euro discount with usit, i'm saving around 300 euro. i booked with air canada as they were the best value flights i could find. air transat probably would have been cheaper but i'm leaving start of april and i think they only fly may-sept or october...i hadn't heard that about air transat going bust i have to say, but if something did happen would you not be covered by your insurance? although, if you haven't actually travelled yet i guess your insurance isn't valid so maybe not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Artfully Dodgin

Guys you dont have to send anything to USIT to be verified, its just a service they provide to make sure your policy covers you for work injuries and medical cover is over 3 million etc. There just reading the small print for you. Have a look around other treads here and where to go for 3rd party approved insurance policies.

USIT really milk this visa for all its worth.

Guys you dont have to send anything to USIT to be verified, its just a service they provide to make sure your policy covers you for work injuries and medical cover is over 3 million etc. There just reading the small print for you. Have a look around other treads here and where to go for 3rd party approved insurance policies.

USIT really milk this visa for all its worth.

So do you need to let USIT know when your arriving in Canada at really? If not, how do you get your visa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 jasonf

Emailed usit during the week asking them what they wanted from us as far as insurance, and they sent me back this, tought it be helpfull for people that werent sure what to do about insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 lisab22

jasonf wrote: »
    Emailed usit during the week asking them what they wanted from us as far as insurance, and they sent me back this, tought it be helpfull for people that werent sure what to do about insurance.

Cheers for that. Has anyone gone with another insurance company that usit has approved of???:confused: thinkin of goin with blueinsurance myself, they seem to cover everything.

lisab22 wrote: »
    Cheers for that. Has anyone gone with another insurance company that usit has approved of???:confused: thinkin of goin with blueinsurance myself, they seem to cover everything.

try this one http://www.backpackertravelinsurance.ie/ you will prob get it cheaper and just covers the same as far as i can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 lisab22

try this one http://www.backpackertravelinsurance.ie/ you will prob get it cheaper and just covers the same as far as i can see.

ya tink their the same company as blueinsurance coz when i rang both for quotes i ended up talkin to d same guy who told me there d same company. R u going with them urself??

lisab22 wrote: »
    ya tink their the same company as blueinsurance coz when i rang both for quotes i ended up talkin to d same guy who told me there d same company. R u going with them urself??

ya i just rang them me self and it said welcome to blue insurance, and when i got threw to the person to talk to they said welcome to backpackerinsurance . i went with blue insurance last year going to oz and had no bother with them , but im going to go with the back packer one now , cheaper and covers the same thing so why not ya no. she said on the phone that grade 1 "hazardous activities" is ok to .
    Anyone have any idea whats the story with flights , all i no is that they have to be flexible flights, anything else needed ?

• Advertisement

ya i just rang them me self and it said welcome to blue insurance, and when i got threw to the person to talk to they said welcome to backpackerinsurance . i went with blue insurance last year going to oz and had no bother with them , but im going to go with the back packer one now , cheaper and covers the same thing so why not ya no. she said on the phone that grade 1 "hazardous activities" is ok to .
    Anyone have any idea whats the story with flights , all i no is that they have to be flexible flights, anything else needed ?

Does this insurance cover work aswell though?

Advertisement