Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 jasonf

jimmypitt wrote: »
    Does this insurance cover work aswell though?

She said it covers bar work and light work like that but not anything with power tools and the likes, but if your going to be using power tools and all that your boss in canada should have the right insurance for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 karlcox2

hi all, what has happened the british airways flight prices they are gone through the roof.

quoted for 2 return flights to vancouver on aug 21st returning in early december about 10 days ago and they were 964 or 482 each so booking them plus 280 for insurance and 150 for flight change (becuase you cant book far enough ahead) and 100 for usit to check it worked out at €1012 now the flights are like 700 each making it cheaper to go with usit, how can that be.

Anyone else flying to vancouver and get it cheaper than me. i have 2 places held with usit for 1082 each with 2 changes and a sim card and i hate to say it but think i might have to go with usit coz they are CHEAPER??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭jimmypitt

jasonf wrote: »
    She said it covers bar work and light work like that but not anything with power tools and the likes, but if your going to be using power tools and all that your boss in canada should have the right insurance for you.

I hear ya, tis just USIT mentioned in the attachment you put up (cheers by the way) that you must have travel and work insurance and that most policies dont include work insurance. Era im exhausted from the whole thing!Bloody USIT have me rattled!

I hear ya, tis just USIT mentioned in the attachment you put up (cheers by the way) that you must have travel and work insurance and that most policies dont include work insurance. Era im exhausted from the whole thing!Bloody USIT have me rattled!

I no how ya feel lad, that packpacker insurance will be ok, but for your own sake give them a bell , but it does cover work, no insurance company will really insure you to use power tools and that anyhow.
    Anyhow print them forms of that i put up as youll need the second one to send back to usit.

I no how ya feel lad, that packpacker insurance will be ok, but for your own sake give them a bell , but it does cover work, no insurance company will really insure you to use power tools and that anyhow.
    Anyhow print them forms of that i put up as youll need the second one to send back to usit.

Give USIT a bell or the insurance company? I don't think USIT accept calls regarding the Canada U 35 Visa - i think they only accept emails.

• Advertisement

Give USIT a bell or the insurance company? I don't think USIT accept calls regarding the Canada U 35 Visa - i think they only accept emails.

ya usit only accept emails, but give Backpackertravelinsurance a call on
    0818 286 455 just to put your mind at rest about the insurance.

ya usit only accept emails, but give Backpackertravelinsurance a call on
    0818 286 455 just to put your mind at rest about the insurance.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

karlcox wrote: »
    hi all, what has happened the british airways flight prices they are gone through the roof.

quoted for 2 return flights to Vancouver on aug 21st returning in early december about 10 days ago and they were 964 or 482 each so booking them plus 280 for insurance and 150 for flight change (becuase you cant book far enough ahead) and 100 for usit to check it worked out at €1012 now the flights are like 700 each making it cheaper to go with usit, how can that be.

Anyone else flying to Vancouver and get it cheaper than me. i have 2 places held with usit for 1082 each with 2 changes and a sim card and i hate to say it but think i might have to go with usit coz they are CHEAPER??

Hey, I'd put that down to the sale BA were having which ended on 8 Feb.

A few different people I was in touch with at Tailfinders said that they were having a great sale and that prices would go back up after the 8th.

I booked a return flight with them for €476, flying to Vancouver & back from Toronto. It'll cost an extra €100 to change the date of the return flight but still cheaper than USIT at €576 return.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 karlcox2

dceire wrote: »
    Hey, I'd put that down to the sale BA were having which ended on 8 Feb.

A few different people I was in touch with at Tailfinders said that they were having a great sale and that prices would go back up after the 8th.

I booked a return flight with them for €476, flying to Vancouver & back from Toronto. It'll cost an extra €100 to change the date of the return flight but still cheaper than USIT at €576 return.

thanks alot i though i was seeing things couldnt believe the difference in prices. i missed out big time. ah well what can you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 lisab22

karlcox wrote: »

quoted for 2 return flights to vancouver on aug 21st returning in early december about 10 days ago and they were 964 or 482 each so booking them plus 280 for insurance and 150 for flight change (becuase you cant book far enough ahead) and 100 for usit to check it worked out at €1012 now the flights are like 700 each making it cheaper to go with usit, how can that be.

Anyone else flying to vancouver and get it cheaper than me. i have 2 places held with usit for 1082 each with 2 changes and a sim card and i hate to say it but think i might have to go with usit coz they are CHEAPER??

Exact same thing happened to me, I got quotes for flights to toronto last month to fly in august n dey wer comin in at about 700 return (usit were about the same) but when i priced around again today they have gone through the roof! Rang usit n they r actually workin out cheaper if u book flights n insurance together, never thought id say it but i tink im gonna go with usit!!! held 3 places with them today. Ur one from usit was sayin that flights in august to toronto are nearly all booked up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

chargerman wrote: »
    Hey , I'M MOVING TO TORONTO IN APRIL. i'LL BE GOING ON MY OWN SO JUST WONDERING IF THERE IS OTHERS GOING ALONE TOO...PERHAPS FROM LIMERICK?
    hi i hope to stay in ireland till the GAA season is over but if work dries up i will be going round apr/may so i could be giving ya a shout as i am on my own:D

on another note guys, i know most of the posters here seem to work white collar, but i am a bricklayer myself, what are te hopes for construction work in Vancouver????? thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭goldjogger

Hiya,

I'm also venturing to Canada for a year :):) Flying over the start of May to Montreal and then travel my way down to either Ottawa or Toronto, I'm thinking Ottawa at the moment. Anyone else thinking Ottawa??

I'm going over on my own sssoooo if there is anyone else in the same boat with a roughly the same idea as me let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ness23-37

Hey!
    If you keep an eye on craigslist vancouver there seems to be a bit of construction work going around, three brick layer jobs are up in the last 2 weeks. I was on the look out for a friend of mine who's in a similar trade.
    Good luck!
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭chargerman

hi i hope to stay in ireland till the GAA season is over but if work dries up i will be going round apr/may so i could be giving ya a shout as i am on my own:D

on another note guys, i know most of the posters here seem to work white collar, but i am a bricklayer myself, what are te hopes for construction work in Vancouver????? thanks!
    Ya definately keep me in mind man

• Registered Users Posts: 22,165 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

The Contact i was given in the confirmation by USIT is a joke, keeps fobbing me off when i try to find out about flights getting pissed off now might just call the main number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 tdot

reply to golddigger: - i was in Ottawa recenty for a vsit and have to say its such a nice city. Although it feels like a big town rather than a city of toronto , london, new york proportions. Its split in two between the quebec side and the ontario side and has lots of green space. After my contract ends on this job n Toronto , think i will look to move there for a few months in spring early summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 lstevo

Your a bit of a lad really arent you Tadgh!
    A good ole irish lad!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭goldjogger

tdot wrote: »
    reply to golddigger: - i was in Ottawa recenty for a vsit and have to say its such a nice city. Although it feels like a big town rather than a city of toronto , london, new york proportions. Its split in two between the quebec side and the ontario side and has lots of green space. After my contract ends on this job n Toronto , think i will look to move there for a few months in spring early summer.

hey tdot, i presume u mean reply 2 goldjogger not golddigger??? Ottawa does look fab 4m d internet pics anyways, the fact that it isn't a hugh city is part of d reason i decided 2 go der. r u over on d 1 yr visa? what is d work situation like over? it wud b great 2 no a few irish in ottawa, alot of ppl seem 2 headin 2 toronto or vancouver area.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,165 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I just went with usit as i am going to California for a week before going to Canada.

I was looking for flights from Dublin to LA then to Canada and for that price i got the usit offer of flights insurance and sim card with the free date change so i am sticking with usit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭petroltimer

hi,
    i just got the offer of a visa for canada, they want the €399 straight away, i was wondering if you then have to get flights, insurance etc straight away, or can i do this in my own time as i am not sure when i will be going it may be late in the year, any help
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Tadhg21

lstevo wrote: »
    Your a bit of a lad really arent you Tadgh!
    A good ole irish lad!

You referring to myself here? How do u figure that?
    I suppose i am alright though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

you can leave the flights/insurance for a good while yet ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 paddy9

bcoogie wrote: »
    Myself and my girlfriend are going back to Vancouver later in the year having spent a year there previously on student visa. We have a pet labrador and really don't want to leave him behind. Does anyone know if it will be possible for us to bring him or how would i go about it. I haven't been able to find out anything definitive and would love to speak to someone who has done it before or tried to do it!
    Any kind of advice would be appreciated

Hey bcoogie,

Not sure about bringing your dog to Canada, but my girlfriend brought a dog from Canada to the UK and he had to spend 6 months in quarantine. Im pretty sure it might be the same when bringing a dog from here over. However the 6 months is dated from when he received all his shots and vaccinations ect. from the vet. So dont know when you are planning heading over but wld be best to do all the vet stuff now, and get his pet passport, ect and all that. be warned though its quite an expensive process between getting all the shots and bringing him on a flight, along with the cost of keeping him in quarantine. As i say this was bringing a dog from there to the UK, but im assuming it wld be the same. Id say best bet is to check with Canadian version of DEFRA which was the Uk government department for Food, environment and rural affairs. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gottcha_goin

hi,
    i just got the offer of a visa for canada, they want the €399 straight away, i was wondering if you then have to get flights, insurance etc straight away, or can i do this in my own time as i am not sure when i will be going it may be late in the year, any help
    thanks

Ye you can do at anytime u want, give or take a month or two before your departure (the date you write on your application form for departure). However, if you want to book your flights through USIT and avail of the €100 discount you must book flights and insurance within the 40 days since you got the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭r1_2010

Hi Guys,

I saw the backpacker travel insurance link and saw their prices which look too good to be true. So i went along to the usit website http://www.usit.ie/sites/USIT/insurance_policies1.html and a pop up displayed this:

Dear Customer,

Please note, it is truly not our style to have to do this but please beware of a company called backpackertravelinsurance.ie who is advertising insurance comparing incorrect USIT prices and policies. The people behind this company, are in fact, former suppliers of USIT, disgruntled upon losing our business and are not comparing on a fair and equitable basis.
    We are currently pursuing legal avenues to address this blatant distortion and to ensure our good name and excellent products are not portrayed in this damaging manner.

From all at USIT

So is this blue insurance still valid. Also I saw the link from last years alternative insurance form. At the top it says you have to give 30 days notice. My details were 'sent to sponsor' almost 6 weeks ago ( i got my details in two days after initial visas were issue). So i am expecting to hear back this week or next. I have already handed in my work notice and hoping to go over before end of march. However this 30 day notice thingy could put a spanner in the works ... or force me to buy USITs insurance.... any opinions?

Thanks

r1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 tdot

goldjogger wrote: »
    hey tdot, i presume u mean reply 2 goldjogger not golddigger??? Ottawa does look fab 4m d internet pics anyways, the fact that it isn't a hugh city is part of d reason i decided 2 go der. r u over on d 1 yr visa? what is d work situation like over? it wud b great 2 no a few irish in ottawa, alot of ppl seem 2 headin 2 toronto or vancouver area.

Im in Toronto at the moment and found a job in financial services easily enough. The pay ranges here are a lot lower than in Dublin and it takes a bit of getting used to! Yeah, Ottawa does seems like a nice city alright - lots of outdoor sports and seems a bit slower more relaxed pace of life than TO. (but then i was only there for a few days!) Not sure if il move from Toronto yet cos I have this job for 6 months but il see how it goes. there seems to be a good irish community too, there are 2 irish bars downtown from what we saw! g'luck

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Danteryu

Hi all,

I want to go to Canada one one of these working holidays, to be able to spend a lot of time there with a view to eventually staying there (I have a Canadian girlfriend).

I'm on the USIT waiting list, it has moved 90-something places since the 1st of February when I went on it, but I'm still a long way down unfortunately. :(
    I was wondering about alternatives, and has anyone any experience with migrationexpert.com? They have told me that I may be eligible, but I'm hesitant to do anything else without knowing a bit more about it - anyone?

Thanks. :)

Guys you dont have to send anything to USIT to be verified, its just a service they provide to make sure your policy covers you for work injuries and medical cover is over 3 million etc. There just reading the small print for you. Have a look around other treads here and where to go for 3rd party approved insurance policies.

USIT really milk this visa for all its worth.

I emailed USIT during the week to tell them that I had booked my flights and was planning to book my insurance with a 3rd party company. They sent this back today:
    "Please forward a copy of your electronic ticket as we will need to send the flight details to our sponsor in Canada .There is an admin fee of 50 euros for this and once we receive the copy of the ticket I will post you a waiver letter (that states USIT is not liable for your flight arrangements) which you will need to sign and send back to USIT"

So if what you say is true, how do I communicate this to them?
    Just tell them to bog off I suppose :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Artfully Dodgin

go back and ask them why you need to send them your flight details and why you need to sign a letter or point blank just ask them am I legally required to do this to get the visa and if so can you put it down in writing why

• Advertisement

I just emailed them now asking them just that.

Now the waiting game begins :rolleyes:

Advertisement