Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭jimmypitt

dceire wrote: »
    I just emailed them now asking them just that.

Now the waiting game begins :rolleyes:

Please let us all know how that goes! Maybe even post up the exact email correspondence you have with them if you wouldn't mind.

Sounds like absolute horses*it but i really can't see how you can avoid the fee.

Mr.S wrote: »
    A few weeks ago i emailed USIT asking for price quotes, i got back some high 1000euro + figure, so i just booked insurance and flights myself.

I emailed them saying this yesterday, and that i wouldn't need to book flights or insurance through USIT. Heres the reply i got:

Says nothing about admin fees. Seems like they just need to forward everything on.

Watch out there i'd say!! I'd say you will be hit with an invoice! Someone in another thread mentioned something similar to yourself...

Either way, still works out cheaper then booking through USIT :rolleyes:

So far though, nothing mentioned about extra fees.

Heres an email reply that i got back in January, when i enquired about any extra fees if i booked my own insurance and flights:

So if they do try and make me pay extra, ill just show them that email!

I hear ya - i can't understand why there is such confusion really. It just seems everyone on here has a different story. Surely they just post out the Visa to ya and that is the end of your relationship with USIT. I don't need them to check flights,insurance, etc. I presume they threaten to hold back the Visa if you don't send in flights and insurance.

I'm guessing they have to send on your flight details and insurance details to Canada so they can finish processing your visa.

I can understand USIT wanting to make sure the insurance is correct, but no idea why they want to check flights.

Anyway, i'm just going to send the rest in and hope for the best.

I wonder. I just thought they banged you out the Visa and basically you turned up in Canada before the end of the year and at immigration they ask to see insurance and maybe put a stamp on your passport. On the USIT website in my tracking application part below it says..
    Work Auth Doc Printed - Your Work Authorisation Document has been issuedI am hoping and thinking i don't need USIT anymore! We shall see!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Jimmmy McNulty

I posted in another thread about USIT trying the charge me €50 to forward my flight details to the sponsor in Canada. I challenged this and quoted their website which says that the €399 you pay covers the processing of the visa and that this €50 should not be charged. I also said that this fee is not charged if the flights are booked through USIT and that it seems like a penalty for booking flights elsewhere. Up until now they have been replying to my e-mails within one day. I have now been waiting since Monday to get a response to this one!

I don't believe they have any words which could possibly justify this €50 fee and are struggling to get back to me on it. They try and charge you whatever they think they will get away with.

My friend had trouble getting his police cert in on time so they gave him 2 weeks to get it to them which he was happy with. They then tried to charge him €200 for this! He went in to USIT to complain about it so they just dropped the charge straight away! If he just accepted the charge and paid it they would have made €200 for nothing. As far as I can see, they just chance their arm and hope nobody challenges them on it!

Also, why would you need flights checked?? It either flies you to Canada or it doesn't! What could they possibly need to check!! Rant over...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

I posted in another thread about USIT trying the charge me €50 to forward my flight details to the sponsor in Canada. I challenged this and quoted their website which says that the €399 you pay covers the processing of the visa and that this €50 should not be charged. I also said that this fee is not charged if the flights are booked through USIT and that it seems like a penalty for booking flights elsewhere. Up until now they have been replying to my e-mails within one day. I have now been waiting since Monday to get a response to this one!

I don't believe they have any words which could possibly justify this €50 fee and are struggling to get back to me on it. They try and charge you whatever they think they will get away with.

My friend had trouble getting his police cert in on time so they gave him 2 weeks to get it to them which he was happy with. They then tried to charge him €200 for this! He went in to USIT to complain about it so they just dropped the charge straight away! If he just accepted the charge and paid it they would have made €200 for nothing. As far as I can see, they just chance their arm and hope nobody challenges them on it!

Also, why would you need flights checked?? It either flies you to Canada or it doesn't! What could they possibly need to check!! Rant over...

I'm with you there Jimmy. It seems like they'd milk a rat if they though there was money to be made. The €399 programme fee is exorbitant as it is without all this crap and on top of that their flights and insurance are very pricey.

I'll post up their reply email when/if it comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

Just wondering if anyone knows the story with driving out there? My friend is 19 and has his full license so we assumed we'd be grand just buying a car out there - now someone has told us that we need an international driving license - is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

Offside wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone knows the story with driving out there? My friend is 19 and has his full license so we assumed we'd be grand just buying a car out there - now someone has told us that we need an international driving license - is this true?

http://www.aaireland.ie/travel-insuranceone/idp.asp

There you go. Costs a fiver, and the price of a passport photo. Valid for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

I got a reply today to my question about the €50 admin fee if you book flights & insurance outside of USIT.
    The fee for processing flights booked outside of USIT has been added to your booking due to the amount of extra processing that we must do to ensure your travel information is sent to the Canadian Sponsors of the programme. When flights are reserved with USIT, our retail system automatically inserts this information to the system we use to link through to the Canadian Sponsors. If you do not book your flights through USIT, this must be done manually and as a result of this, the processing fee is charged.

The programme fee is an entirely different matter. That is for processing documentation to the embassy, ensuring all applications and additional documents are in order, courier fees to London, phone calls, admin for follow up etc in addition to services on the ground in Canada such as a 24 hour helpline, the drop in centre, internet access and support in finding a job and accommodation if so required.

I trust the above explanation is satisfactory

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Jimmmy McNulty

dceire wrote: »
    I got a reply today to my question about the €50 admin fee if you book flights & insurance outside of USIT.

That is complete rubbish! I'd say they have somebody in USIT who's sole prupose is to create these stories inorder to enforce these ridiculous charges! I find it highly unlikely that USIT (an Irish travel company which distributes a couple of thousand visas a year) has its system linked directly with the Canadian sponsors to automatically populate these details. I'm sure they just forward through the flight details for those flights like any other.

They make it sound like there is alot of work involved. How many detaills do you need in relation to a flight!! The airline, date of arrival/departure, flight number, booking reference maybe... I know €50 isn't the end of the world or anything but I don't take well to being taken advantage of at every opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 52green

Anybody know which is the best part of canada to find work on a sheep farm.?

Also friend planning on coming with us but has no visa? do you need to get a travellers visa and what happens if ya get aome work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Garthicus

vinylbomb wrote: »
    Howdy all. Given that its year end/tax filing time (oh the joys) - I was wondering has anyone any experience in claiming back tax overpaid to the authorities here?
    I've been scouring online but can only find stuff relating to permanent residents.
    I've a Canadian mate who is an accountant and said he would have a look into it for me, but in the meantime just wondering if theres any first-hand accounts from fellow year-visa peoples?

Mod note : I've cross posted this in the other thread relating to Canada, if you feel this is inappropriate please delete from the less posted in thread. Cheers!!

I used http://www.hrblock.ca/ for mine, your first ever tax filing is more complicated than usual, pay them the $70 and let them look after it for you. I got a few grand back. Some of their branches will cut you a cheque there and then too instead of waiting on the government cheque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Garthicus

You'll be bored out of your scull in Ottawa. It's kind of like Washington DC, everyone works for the Government..... it's bloody cold too.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭goldjogger

Garthicus wrote: »
    You'll be bored out of your scull in Ottawa. It's kind of like Washington DC, everyone works for the Government..... it's bloody cold too.

I have rethinked Ottawa, not alot of good reports about it! I am instead going to head to Nova Scotia for the summer months after i travel around Montreal and Quebec and then head onto Toronto area around aug sept time.

Could anyone tell me is it easy to get seasonal work in ski resorts in Ontario or would i be better off heading towards vancouver to work in ski resorts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Jackoman

Cool to see so many people interested in Canada these days. I wanted to read through the whole thread but its way too long for me right now.

Anyways, I did my Under 35 visa back in 2005, since then I was sponsored, while I applied for permanent residence status. The whole process was simple enough, just required getting your head out of your ass and getting the paperwork. No need for lawyers whatsoever. Waste of money in my opinion. I got the whole thing done in just over a year. There are quicker ways to do it now too, and can be done in less than a year.

I have worked all over the entire country, from the major cities, to far north towns, and been around the arctic, there isn't much left of the country I haven't covered yet, except for Montreal and Newfoundland, which is next on my list. Newfies are awesome, and I love listening to the crazy Irish mixed accent they have. Spent a month last year trying to teach one some of our phrases, and I still don't think he quite got the "How's the craic?" down. Funny as **** though. He kept saying, "How's your crack?"

The place is great and the people just as much. Currently I spend most of my casual time in Vancouver, but I'll be working in Alberta this summer. If anyone has any questions I am happy to help. Not sure what has been covered and what hasn't, so if there's anything unanswered just let me know.

I was just in Downtown Vancouver for the end of the Winter Olympics and it was nuts. I think the whole country was out getting hammered. Was great to see them all happy and proud. Plus the day before the last Olympic event was great, since I got to see Ireland beat England in the rugby, down in Doolins on Granville.

Economically things are picking up again in the country and jobs are growing again. Don't limit yourselves to the big cities if you really want to work and earn some money. If you have a profession or a trade, keep in mind, that you will most likely have to do the Canadian equivalent to be allowed work in that profession.

Good luck to you all, and remember you represent Ireland when you are in Canada, so don't be a tool and make us look bad. Almost forgot, if you are ever stuck on finding a place to stay try using www.couchsurfing.org Its a great website, and most people offering you a couch in Canada are good people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BillyBro

Hi Jackoman - what kind of work do you do over there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Jackoman

I work in Aviation. Lot of environmental work, working with oil and gas companies, and I love working with forestry. Nothing quite like fighting some bush fires.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sarah!!!!

I want the canada student one but im like 342 on the waiting list, i kinda need my visa by mid May do you think ill get it in time???? and there is no other options no?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

who are you guys booking flights with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 toasteroven

Hey I'm an Irish Gay guy moving to Vancouver in Mid May.

I am looking to find a housemate with gay friendly guy(s)/girl(s) in Vancouver. Hoping to spend $550-600 at most per month. Not fussy on location, Kitslano is nice or around that area.. Downtown would be great too but its looks very expensive

Im 26, from southern Ireland. in the retail management sector. I am travelling on a u35s USIT visa for the year. I'm fairly tidy. A meat eater, social smoker. Enjoy going out and having nights in at home too.

So get in touch if your interested in looking for a place to share an apt, house. House preferably. As it would be great to have some sort of garden for Summer bbqs!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 toasteroven

Howdy... I'm an Irish Gay guy moving to Vancouver in Mid May.

I am looking to find a housemate with gay friendly guy(s)/girl(s) in Vancouver. Hoping to spend $550-600 at most per month. Not fussy on location, Kitsilano is nice or around that area.. Downtown would be great too but its very expensive

Im 27, from southern Ireland. in the retail management sector. I am travelling on a u35s USIT visa for the year. I'm fairly tidy. A meat eater, social smoker. Looking forward to a good social scene so looking for mates/flat mates/drinkin buddys

So get in touch if your interested in looking for a place to share an apt, house. House preferably. As it would be great to have some sort of garden for Summer bbqs!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bossmanpaulo

Hey,

Myself and my roomate are 2 hetrosexual males looking for a roomate in Vancouver from 1st of April.

Please see the link. We preferable would like a straight male or female, Im not judging anyone, just our choice. We both arrived in Vancouver on our own and met in the hostel. Anyway, here is the link,

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/roo/1633125200.html

Email through craigslist if interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 juno2009

For those of you that have been approved the Visa:

Did you have to wait the full 8 weeks before you heard or was it closer to the 6 week mark? I'm on week 5 now and status is still 'Sent to Sponsor'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

How long did everyone wait for their Police Cert to be sent back?!
    I handed all my info to the station 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting...yet someone else I know got theirs back in less then a week.

Also does anyone know of jobs ites that would have jobs for national parks etc??
    Been mainly looking through craigslist so far

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

crushproof wrote: »
    I handed all my info to the station 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting...yet someone else I know got theirs back in less then a week.

Also does anyone know of jobs ites that would have jobs for national parks etc??
    Been mainly looking through craigslist so far

If you're here for a year then I don't think you'll manage to get a parks job in that time, here's a website you can look at.
    http://www.pc.gc.ca/agen/empl/index_E.asp

Alot of times these jobs go to people who know people.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

crushproof wrote: »

Depends on the cop that is dealing with it and how arsed he is about helping you. I had awful trouble with mine. After dropping my details to the local station and waiting 3 weeks, I found out nothing had been sent away. Gave all my details again and told them I needed it urgently - it came back 4 weeks later.
    In the mean time I had went to the main station in the city, explained my case and pressed them for it. Had it in 2 days. The other one arrived weeks later..

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Tadhg21

got a phone call today from usit offering me the visa, ive been on the waitlist since janurary. They tell me its gone up to 509 euro now. I dunno why, she was waffleing away about the canadian embassy increasing the price. Did any of ye get this call, is there any way of escaping paying the extra. I know its just more of their bull****!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gottcha_goin

Tadhg21 wrote: »
    got a phone call today from usit offering me the visa, ive been on the waitlist since janurary. They tell me its gone up to 509 euro now. I dunno why, she was waffleing away about the canadian embassy increasing the price. Did any of ye get this call, is there any way of escaping paying the extra. I know its just more of their bull****!

USIT really dont do their names any favour, they still remain the rip-off merchants of Ireland. I havent got the call myself but what was their excuse? Surely these prices are agreed and locked in before the canadian visas go on sale,unless they have got an extra allocation or something. Say that when you signed up to the visa the advertised price was €399, now you are trying to charge us a different price so in essence it is false advertising.

USIT really dont do their names any favour, they still remain the rip-off merchants of Ireland. I havent got the call myself but what was their excuse? Surely these prices are agreed and locked in before the canadian visas go on sale,unless they have got an extra allocation or something. Say that when you signed up to the visa the advertised price was €399, now you are trying to charge us a different price so in essence it is false advertising.

Would someone ever ring Joe Duffy and get Joe to sort them out?! On a serious note i would love it if someone did a bit of research and put together a well structured, articulate article exposing USIT. Maybe send it into The Irish Times or something. They continue to be rip off merchants in the middle of the greatest financial crisis in modern times. Companies like this were fine in the boom times but someone needs to take a stand!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 juno2009

OMG cannot believe they are trying to charge you that much. Can you argue that the price advertised on the website is 399? That is false advertising if they are trying to charge you more. They know well what they're doing though cos if you kick up a stink they will just offer it to someone else who is willing to pay the extra. It has to be illegal though. I agree, get Joe Duffy on the case!

Advertisement