Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

Tadhg21 wrote: »
    got a phone call today from usit offering me the visa, ive been on the waitlist since janurary. They tell me its gone up to 509 euro now. I dunno why, she was waffleing away about the canadian embassy increasing the price. Did any of ye get this call, is there any way of escaping paying the extra. I know its just more of their bull****!

USIT website still says E399, if that's the price they advertise then that's all you should be paying, call them and question them about, this is a case of false advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Tadhg21

thanks for the replys. I couldnt really talk today when she rang, so i said ill ring back tomorrow. I'll argue my case anyway and let ye know how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭HaVoC

anyone have any info on what the wait list is like for this visa ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Mr.S wrote: »
    They just got a bit pissed off because they where advertising USIT's rip off prices.

Not really. It takes about 10 seconds of comparing to see that Backpacker are quoting the wrong prices. On their main page they're quoting some Usit prices. I can see 12 month Australia on Usits site for €199. Backpacker says it's €330. Usit still are pricier than the Backpacker one but not €200 more. I've no idea what other differences the policies have. Maybe the Backpacker policy is better than Usits but that should be easy to advertise. Companies normally put two products side by side to show theirs is better. It a bit of a weird tactic. Normally you say how your product is better, you don't normally just make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gottcha_goin

Mr.S wrote: »
    backpackertravelinsurance.ie is accepted by USIT. They just got a bit pissed off because they where advertising USIT's rip off prices.

Once you have your own insurance, you just sent off the policy details and certificate to USIT to prove you have the correct one, and they send you out a waiver form that you sign and return to them.

Some people have been asked a fee for getting they're own insurance. I haven't, so far.

Did you notify USIT before or after u booked your flights and insurance that you were not booking with USIT? It seems from reading the posts that if you say you are not before doing anything, rather than book and just post on the details they charge you the admin fee.

• Advertisement

Was talking to a friend of mine on the waitlist for Canada and he recently got a similar call. They are coming up with the excuse that due to unprecedented demand they are having to charge more (or something along those lines)..that being €500. They are also adopting somewhat bully tactics as they won't let you call back and have a think about it in the mean time. Putting you in a position whereby you take it or leave it on the spot. How can they get away with this? Absolutely appaling treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Jackoman

It's called having a monopoly, as they are the only ones that it can be done through in Ireland. That's the danger of no competition, and finding a product that people in Ireland want badly - to get out of Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Tadhg21

I rang back today, she said the extra is because the canadian high comission have increased the submission price and usit have had to up their price accordingly.
    First she said the programme fee is now 409 and theres an extra 100 flights and insurance deposit bringing it to 509. So I said I'll book my own flights and ins and I asked is it 409 for me so. But she said no the fee is 509 and if you book your flights and ins through usit the extra 100 will put twoards the flights and ins but if you dont you still have to pay the extra 100 anyway.

I questioned why i should have to pay the extra 100 but she just kept repeating the same nonesense, its like talking to a machine.

She said if I dont book by 3 o clock today i would be removed from the waiting list so I booked it in the end for 509, ill book my own flights and insurance tho, that 100 euro extra wouldnt be long disappearing when they book flights and insurance about 300 or 400 more expensive than you could get em yourself.

Anyway on the +side at least im getting the visa now, has anyone got it yet, did it take the full 8 weeks after all the forms are sent off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Just got my permit.

See you in Vancouver. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Artfully Dodgin

Usit are a horrible, horrible company and have been getting away with murder for ages but this is really taking the piss. The travel industry is a cut throat business and they also have a monopoly here, but this sudden increase in charge and the manner it’s done in raises alarms bells for me. For management to approve this behaviour is more than just a sign of the times. I wouldn't be surprised to hear about this company going bust in the near future, so if I was you I would be trying to find out what happens to the visa process if they go belly up. The heavy discount on the J1 at the moment is also another clue that their struggling big time.
    Whatever you book make sure you do it with a credit card for ease of getting any money back.
    Have you ever noticed how they never come on here to defend themselves either?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mooch001

same i was shocked but usit was the cheapest at the moment for flight and insurance combo.
    has anyone recieved confirmation of their visa?how long did it take in total,just wondering if it really does take up to 10 weeks?
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭jimmypitt

Just got my permit.

See you in Vancouver. :D

How did you get permit exactly? Did they post it out or what?

Tadhg21 wrote: »
    I rang back today, she said the extra is because the canadian high comission have increased the submission price and usit have had to up their price accordingly.
    First she said the programme fee is now 409 and theres an extra 100 flights and insurance deposit bringing it to 509. So I said I'll book my own flights and ins and I asked is it 409 for me so. But she said no the fee is 509 and if you book your flights and ins through usit the extra 100 will put twoards the flights and ins but if you dont you still have to pay the extra 100 anyway.

I questioned why i should have to pay the extra 100 but she just kept repeating the same nonesense, its like talking to a machine.

She said if I dont book by 3 o clock today i would be removed from the waiting list so I booked it in the end for 509, ill book my own flights and insurance tho, that 100 euro extra wouldnt be long disappearing when they book flights and insurance about 300 or 400 more expensive than you could get em yourself.

Anyway on the +side at least im getting the visa now, has anyone got it yet, did it take the full 8 weeks after all the forms are sent off

I can't believe they said they would remove you from the waitlist. On the plus side id say it is a relief to have the visa on the way but at the end of the day they ripped you off and didn't treat you with any decency.

As for how long it takes, it depends on when you are going to Canada really (they'll do it in 6 weeks if ur planning to be off by May). It never takes the 10 weeks unless u **** up your form first time round. Forms can be a pain in the ass. Get passport photos and cv typed up asap, that will be needed as part of your application, also a photocopy of the id part of your passport.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Cullen82

Hi all, Whats the work situation like in Canada now are jobs hard to come by?

Also in terms of he visa how long is the waiting list? I would apply but am not 100% sure if I would like to go yet and I am led to believe you can't re-apply.

thanks guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 cocopop11

I too got one of these phonecalls.. €509 she must be having a laff.citing the current exchange rate for the fluctuation i had to laugh. then quoting me €1650 for flights and insurance.. and then threatening me to remove me from the list if i dont pay by today.. Well i best get to the bank then !

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Emma216

Im on the waiting list and all this is freaking me out :eek:.I cant believe people have completely different experiences with usit!I think ye should all ring up joe duffy and i bet you anything there would be a flood of people with the same stories,its the only way to warn people about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Danteryu

Hi all,

Does anyone know anything about this programme?
    I was looking for USIT alternatives, and this one caught my eye - anyone have any idea as to the legitimacy of it?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

Danteryu wrote: »
    Hi all,

Does anyone know anything about this programme?
    I was looking for USIT alternatives, and this one caught my eye - anyone have any idea as to the legitimacy of it?

Thanks!

As far as I know USIT is the only way to go if you're Irish, each country has their own program set up with the Canadian government, if any body else is offering this service then it is more than likely a scam.

jimmypitt wrote: »
    How did you get permit exactly? Did they post it out or what?

Email & on the usit page.

Email & on the usit page.

I thought you meant you got the actual document!

• Advertisement

I did. It's just a document that you print off and bring with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 devilmayjudge

hey im to vancouver this summer, heading out on the 31st may ,im going on the under 35 programe and 4 girls im traveling with are going on the student travel visa ,i was just wondering what are good places to live in vancouver ,we are all going to work for the summer and have the craic while we,re there.We just need to find affordable housing while we,re there and any tips would be great ,plus if anyone else is going let me know.

I did. It's just a document that you print off and bring with you.

Cool. Did you have to show them your flights and insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Tjbt2010

mooch001 wrote: »
    same i was shocked but usit was the cheapest at the moment for flight and insurance combo.
    has anyone recieved confirmation of their visa?how long did it take in total,just wondering if it really does take up to 10 weeks?
    :)

I got my confirmation within 5 maybe 6 weeks max. I didnt expect it this soon. My contact in USIT states i have 2 weeks now in which to book flights and insurance, I am shocked about this... Is this correct? I had not planned on maybe booking until the end of april as I am waiting to confirm one or two things before going.. Has anyone else come across this... 2 weeks seems very harsh in terms of flexibility..

Just emailed them in my flight and insurance details (went with backpackertravelinsurance.ie). I rang them this morning and i was told i had to email in my flight and insurance details before they posted out the document or else download it from the USIT website.

I have a bad feeling about the insurance - the bi*ch on the phone was very particular on that - i just have a feeling they will go looking to find something wrong with it.

I will let everyone know how i get on. I doubt very much i will avoid the €50 fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

I sent my flight & insurance (i also booked with backpackers) details earlier in the week & received the wavier this morning stating that there was a €50 fee. It's signed & sent now so I'm basically bending over and receiving my destiny.

I had kicked up a small bit of a fuss about the €50 but the fcukers are pretty much holding my work permit hostage. It has been granted but USIT emailed me saying they had it & I would receive it as soon as my flights and insurance had been sorted. I hope I never have any more dealings with these insufferable shower of **** :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭chargerman

Going to Toronto April 23rd and cant wait - time is pushing on lads!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭chargerman

Hey lads. Going to Toronto on April 23rd on my own :( Just wondering if anyone else in similar sitution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭bertisevil

For those waiting on police clearance checks from abroad, I received this email during the week
    ear Under 35 Work Canada Applicant,

As of 11 March 2010, the Canadian High Commission will no longer officially require Police Certificates from countries other than your home country, (Ireland/Northern Ireland depending on your country of permanent residence). If you have ever been arrested, convicted and/or charged with an offence in ANY country, then you may be required to obtain and submit a Police Certificate from all countries you have lived in for 6 months or more since turning 18. We would suggest you begin applying for these now as it is probable that you will be required by the Canadian High Commission to submit these to them at a later date. Please note, this may delay the processing of your application.

If you have already begun obtaining these documents, even if you don't have a prior record, we would advise you to continue with the process as they may choose to request these documents in relation to your application at random and it is also possible that potential employers in Canada may request this documentation from you. It is also something that may be of benefit for your own personal records.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused due to this change. Unfortunately the change has only just been implemented and is effective for all applications submitted to the Canadian High Commission from today. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

This new change means that we were able to go ahead with the processing of your application. We will be submitting your application to the Canadian High Commission within the next couple of days. You can track the status of your application through the tracking section of the website (where you downloaded your forms from).

Kind regards,
    etc..

So that's one headache less for people

bert

• Advertisement

dceire wrote: »
    I sent my flight & insurance (i also booked with backpackers) details earlier in the week & received the wavier this morning stating that there was a €50 fee. It's signed & sent now so I'm basically bending over and receiving my destiny.

I had kicked up a small bit of a fuss about the €50 but the fcukers are pretty much holding my work permit hostage. It has been granted but USIT emailed me saying they had it & I would receive it as soon as my flights and insurance had been sorted. I hope I never have any more dealings with these insufferable shower of **** :mad:

Did your insurance get approved by USIT? If so, what exact policy did you go with?

Advertisement