Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 swabby

cheers man, have you any idea what the chances are of getting a visa on the under 35 program? so far i am the only one who has got a visa and dont really want to go over on my own but really want to get away for a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Sharnedy

Jackoman wrote: »
    Cool to see so many people interested in Canada these days. I wanted to read through the whole thread but its way too long for me right now.

Anyways, I did my Under 35 visa back in 2005, since then I was sponsored, while I applied for permanent residence status. The whole process was simple enough, just required getting your head out of your ass and getting the paperwork. No need for lawyers whatsoever. Waste of money in my opinion. I got the whole thing done in just over a year. There are quicker ways to do it now too, and can be done in less than a year.

I have worked all over the entire country, from the major cities, to far north towns, and been around the arctic, there isn't much left of the country I haven't covered yet, except for Montreal and Newfoundland, which is next on my list. Newfies are awesome, and I love listening to the crazy Irish mixed accent they have. Spent a month last year trying to teach one some of our phrases, and I still don't think he quite got the "How's the craic?" down. Funny as **** though. He kept saying, "How's your crack?"

The place is great and the people just as much. Currently I spend most of my casual time in Vancouver, but I'll be working in Alberta this summer. If anyone has any questions I am happy to help. Not sure what has been covered and what hasn't, so if there's anything unanswered just let me know.

I was just in Downtown Vancouver for the end of the Winter Olympics and it was nuts. I think the whole country was out getting hammered. Was great to see them all happy and proud. Plus the day before the last Olympic event was great, since I got to see Ireland beat England in the rugby, down in Doolins on Granville.

Economically things are picking up again in the country and jobs are growing again. Don't limit yourselves to the big cities if you really want to work and earn some money. If you have a profession or a trade, keep in mind, that you will most likely have to do the Canadian equivalent to be allowed work in that profession.

Good luck to you all, and remember you represent Ireland when you are in Canada, so don't be a tool and make us look bad. Almost forgot, if you are ever stuck on finding a place to stay try using www.couchsurfing.org Its a great website, and most people offering you a couch in Canada are good people.
    Hi Jackoman,
    I'm graduating this year as a mechanical engineer. First of all do you know if this degree
    is recognized in Canada? The college website says it is but I've heard of others who found their degrees wern't.

Thinking of going to Vancouver around August/September with some friends,
    I want to get some relevant experience so was thinking of trying Alberta for work.
    There doesn't seem to be any mention of graduate jobs, all the ones I've seen require 3-5 years experience. Anyone know of anyone who worked there?

1st time posting, Got the Visa yesterday exciting stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭jimmypitt

davey boy wrote: »
    Arrived here a few months ago and the immigration officer just asked me how much money I had to support myself. I told him how much I had in my bank account and he was happy with that. He didnt ask to see any statements but I had one printed a few days before I left if they needed to see it.

I brought about $1000 cash but didnt really feel safe carrying it around for the first two weeks in case I lost some of it. Poeple over here use cards for practically everything anyway.

Were you on a one way flight yeah????

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Sharnedy wrote: »
    1st time posting
    Welcome! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I'm not so sure about the under 35. Way more people are eligible to go on the under 35 visa than the student visa so the waiting list could be pretty long. I'd say your best bet would be to get your friends to stick their names on the under 35 waiting list asap. Putting their names on the waiting list doesn't obligate them to go. I think you have until January 2011 to enter Canada on your own visa so you could afford to wait for a few months and see how quickly the waiting list is moving for your friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 davey boy

jimmypitt wrote: »
    Were you on a one way flight yeah????

No have a return flight. He didnt ask for the details of that either.

davey boy wrote: »
    No have a return flight. He didnt ask for the details of that either.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Was number 537 on waiting list and got a call from USIT yesterday offering me a place.... cant believe it woohoooo Canada here I come :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kautostar

Was number 537 on waiting list and got a call from USIT yesterday offering me a place.... cant believe it woohoooo Canada here I come :D

Nice! :) Where u heading for? My friend was offered a place aswell, he was delighted cos was expecting to wait another few months at least. I wonder what is going on at USIT and why they are issuing the visas like this?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Kod-box

i was 960 or something and got offered one, thing is i dont wanna go for another good few months is it advisable to take it anyway and then book flights for later in the year or just refuse it and apply for the next round of visas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Danteryu

I was in the 390s today and I got offered one. :)
    To the people who have been getting offers in the last few days, does anyone have any idea what the soonest date that you can get one for is?

Kod-box wrote: »
    i was 960 or something and got offered one, thing is i dont wanna go for another good few months is it advisable to take it anyway and then book flights for later in the year or just refuse it and apply for the next round of visas?

I think everyone that applies for a visa this year has until January 2011 to enter Canada and activate it so you have until now and then to go. You might want to check that with usit though.

cheers, i better ring them tomorrow, i was under the impression it was a year after you accepted that you had to travel.

If only, I'm on a mad savings drive at the minute:)

Looks like i am too as of now lol

Ya I wasnt expecting to get it so fast... I have to accept and pay for it by Tuesday! Hope I can wait for another few months tho and save some squids :)

Thinking of Vancouver, seems to be a place Id like. But all depends on jobs ect in the end I guess.

Ah it'll be worth it in the end tho.

Seems like the waiting list is moving along quite fast, good news for everyone on it!

I'm heading to Calgary first and I'll check out the resort jobs in Banff and Jasper.

is the list moving fast because people are leaving after the olympics i wonder, lack of work?

By the looks of this Canadian unemployment is slowly going down. Their 8% is still better than our 13%. Seems like Saskatchewan is the place to be :D

http://www.hrmguide.net/canada/jobmarket/canadian-unemployment.htm

To be honest... Id do anything out there. I just need a break from this depressing country for a while, it will be a great experience :D

• Advertisement

I hear ya! I'm only back in Ireland 7 months after 2 years away. I don't want to hear anything about bishops, bankers, developers or NAMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Clawfeld

Hey all,

Hoping to be moving to Toronto for the year in June-ish time. Have one or two things to sort out here in the big smoke first before I accept the visa but I'm already looking forward to going...

I was just wondering what area is good to live in Toronto? And how are people finding rents etc? Also about jobs, I have an IT background with 3 years experience but thinking of starting off in an Irish bar somewhere... Anyone have any ideas or advice about the accommodation/job front??

Any help would be great.

Cheers,

Brian

By the looks of this Canadian unemployment is slowly going down. Their 8% is still better than our 13%. Seems like Saskatchewan is the place to be :D

http://www.hrmguide.net/canada/jobmarket/canadian-unemployment.htm

Thanks for ruining my day! I really didn't need to read that article :(

See ya in Regina Jimmy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 heda

To those who have been offered visa's in the last few days, have you been quoted a price by USIT?

They've bumped up their fee as of today to EUR509

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055868432

See ya in Regina Jimmy!

huh?

jimmypitt wrote: »
    huh?

Wikipedia says its the capital of Saskatchewan. 4.3% unemployment.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 somedeed

Hi Everyone,

Got my visa yesterday, planning on heading in July but haven't made my mind up on Toronto or Vancouver. Most likely Toronto so interested in what anyone has to say on Clawfield's questions.

Thanks guys, exciting time!

Edit: Meant to say, heading over solo if anyone wants to tag along :)

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭bonkers

just a note to all of ye about to come here

the best time i feel to come is late august early september as you see how nice summer is for a week or two.. then see fall and winter.. while you have summer to look forward to..

one thing you'll notice is that canadians talk a huge amount about the weather.. think the regular irish Dad and multiply it.. everyone watches the weather here.. and they will talk the legs off you when they realise you ain't seen a canadian winter.. ive been through what they say was the mildest winter in living memory here in toronto but it was still cold enough.. best thing about it here it hardly rains..

jobswise.. its better than ireland, for sure. my advice is also to get out of the hostel scene asap.. as you dont want to be stuck with irish all the time and act like your on j1.. get yourself a decent apartment.. should get a nice 2 bed for between a grand and 1300 a month..

get a fido/windmobile phone in toronto as they are the cheapest.. my nokia handset worked here when i got here so no need to purchase.

start contacting relevant companies now and look for work.. the people who have gotten work quickly have made contacts across the sea ebfore they came.. its funyn but sometimes the contacts you make while at home feel more responsibility to you when you get here..

any other questions feel free to contact me

also book your own flights and insurance for 2 of us we were being charged 2400 by usit.. got it for 1200 ourselves

• Advertisement

bonkers wrote: »
    just a note to all of ye about to come here

the best time i feel to come is late august early september as you see how nice summer is for a week or two.. then see fall and winter.. while you have summer to look forward to..

one thing you'll notice is that canadians talk a huge amount about the weather.. think the regular irish Dad and multiply it.. everyone watches the weather here.. and they will talk the legs off you when they realise you ain't seen a canadian winter.. ive been through what they say was the mildest winter in living memory here in toronto but it was still cold enough.. best thing about it here it hardly rains..

jobswise.. its better than ireland, for sure. my advice is also to get out of the hostel scene asap.. as you dont want to be stuck with irish all the time and act like your on j1.. get yourself a decent apartment.. should get a nice 2 bed for between a grand and 1300 a month..

get a fido/windmobile phone in toronto as they are the cheapest.. my nokia handset worked here when i got here so no need to purchase.

start contacting relevant companies now and look for work.. the people who have gotten work quickly have made contacts across the sea ebfore they came.. its funyn but sometimes the contacts you make while at home feel more responsibility to you when you get here..

any other questions feel free to contact me

also book your own flights and insurance for 2 of us we were being charged 2400 by usit.. got it for 1200 ourselves

Could you elaborate on this a bit? Send in your resume in to companies at random? I hate to be negative but why would a company in Canada care about a bloke/lady coming over to Canada on a WHV? Unless of course they have an unreal resume? Was there any particular website you used to convert CV to resume if ya follow? Was hoping to get it professionally done but i doubt anyone in Ireland does that.

Cheers.

Advertisement