Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I don't think there is a deadline to book your flights as long as you are in Canada by the end of Jan 2011....check that with usit though.

You can always book your flights now and change your date of departure later if you have to. I think if you book with usit they give you 1 free flight change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 jasonf

Thanks colin for your help, hopefully ill find work over there!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭RayCarley

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Best of Luck. Craigslist is a good place to start:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/

I'm still looking around for accommodation for myself and 5 friends heading out to Vancouver for the summer.

I know most people have recommended Craigslist, but I've heard from friends that there are a lot of scams on it. Has anyone had any experience with this or know any ways to avoid scams when looking for accommodation?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

RayCarley wrote: »
    I'm still looking around for accommodation for myself and 5 friends heading out to Vancouver for the summer.

I know most people have recommended Craigslist, but I've heard from friends that there are a lot of scams on it. Has anyone had any experience with this or know any ways to avoid scams when looking for accommodation?

Cheers!

I hear that just walking around neighbourhoods and checking out the contact details for different property letting agents/managers and getting in touch with them directly is actually a good way to go. Makes sense especially as you know who and what you're dealing with straight from the get go!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Kellzer

Im heading to Toronto on the USIT programme at the start of August. Am planning on travelling in the US for a couple of weeks first thou and am not planning on booking flights with USIT. Was talking to someone I know thats been in Canada on the USIT program for the last year and they were saying that they regret that they didnt enter Canada on a 3 month holiday visa, then when they secured a job, cross back into america and re enter canada with the work visa. Obviously means that you get to work for the whole 12 months of the visa program. Has anyone actually done this or considered doing it? Am thinking of doing it but I am just bit worried in case I was breaking some rule I dont know about and dont want to risk being thrown out of the program. Only issue I can see with it is that on entering Canada I would need to be able to show them a return flight home within the 3 months or else they mightnt let me in at all. Any comments&opinions would be appreciated!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Jackoman

At the risk of repeating myself, I had highly suggested a lot of people do that. Particularly if you need extra training or schooling to get the Canadian version of perhaps a trade or license of some sort. This is how I did it. I entered Canada on a visitors visa (which are valid for 6 months, not 3), did some training that I needed in Canada, secured myself a job, then left and came back in again on the 1 year visa. This is a good idea for some, but obviously not all people, but as I said before, you could also use the visitor visa as time to find where you might want to live, see whats happening in different towns and provinces, shop around if you want to say. Then pop across the border to the States, or go back to Ireland if you want, and head back in to Canada where you think you might like to be for the year. This truly allows you to take advantage of the full year for working.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 finbarr1

hi, i'm thinking of applying for a resident visa for canada under the application title of federal skilled worker. any one tried this? or know how easy/hard it is to get, it costs about a grand altogether to process etc so I'd really appreciate any tips on increasing chances of getting visa. and they like it if you have some french, is this important/increase chances?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

finbarr1 wrote: »
    hi, i'm thinking of applying for a resident visa for canada under the application title of federal skilled worker. any one tried this? or know how easy/hard it is to get, it costs about a grand altogether to process etc so I'd really appreciate any tips on increasing chances of getting visa. and they like it if you have some french, is this important/increase chances?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/index.asp

It's not the cost of the process that'll annoy you it's the wait, it can take a number of years (4/5) to go through this type of application and if you are denied a visa you may not find out 'til the end of the application process.
    also check out this site.
    http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=56

Did you have to show Canadian emigration a return flight to Ireland when you were entering Canada on the holiday visa? Or were you upfront about what you were doing and the fact that you had a work visa as it isn't breaking any rules? Im also worried because I have to provide USIT with my flight details because they say that they have to pass them onto the Canadian comission. I think this is just a money making scam cos theyre charging me 50Euro for this admin work since im not flying with them. Will the canadians care about this info or as far as they are concerned will my work visa start the day I show it to them at the border?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Jackoman

When you enter any country on a holiday visa you always have to have proof of leaving the country. Whether it is by a bus, train or return flight taking you out of the country before the time they have issued the visitor visa for. The one key thing is that, for the most part, it doesn't matter where you are leaving to.

When I entered Canada on my visitor visa, I was in the States, on a visitor visa to the U.S. When I was done with the certification and getting the job I wanted in Canada, I just went back down to the States, hung out for a bit, then went back to Canada and started my work visa.

Things have gotten a little stricter these days, in the sense that I may have been asked to show a ticket leaving the States when I was entering Canada on the holiday visa, as I had no right to live in either place at the time. But honestly, each country doesn't care so much about the other, they just want to see you leaving their country.

I have been questioned, mostly by airline check-in staff (who can be worse than Immigration), when I leave Ireland. I sometimes fly to the States to visit some friends and then head to Canada. The check -in staff at Dublin, want to see a return ticket to Ireland, to which I show them my Canadian residents card, then they want to see a ticket for me to go to Canada.

If you choose to enter Canada as a visitor, and you have all your paperwork, (I had still not been issued my letter to give to immigration control when I entered for the holiday visa) make sure you tell them you are not activating your work visa. That you are only visiting for a few weeks or months, whatever. Be firm about this, as when you give them your passport, their computer systems have a record showing of your work visa, and they will point this out to you.

I dont know what the deal is with USIT these days. They are a shower of **** and seem to be making life harder and harder all the time for people. I didnt book my flights through USIT, and back then I was just told I had to enter the country before the end of the year, and I did everything myself. Like I said I was already over on North America when I applied for and got my work visa for Canada, so I did it my own way, and had my brother pick up my paperwork from USIT and mail it all to me. Things are different now about all that.

Just remember, the less you tell USIT what you are planning to do, the better off you will be. Get the visa, the paperwork and show them your flights booked, the flights can always be changed later.

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot Jackoman. That's really helpful information. Like you said since they have my information on the system and will know that I have a work visa, then there's no point trying to pull the wool over their eyes. I suppose if they do decide to make a big issue of it I'll just have to enter on the work visa but sounds like I should have no problem if I book a couple of train tickets back to Bufallo or something to show that I will be leaving the country. Thanks again for the great info!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

colin29 wrote: »
    http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/index.asp

It's not the cost of the process that'll annoy you it's the wait, it can take a number of years (4/5) to go through this type of application and if you are denied a visa you may not find out 'til the end of the application process.
    also check out this site.
    http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=56

You need to meet one of these 3 criteria to apply, and there's not that many professions in the list:

1. According to the eligibility criteria, your application is eligible for processing if:
    • you have an offer of arranged employment, OR
    • you are a foreign national who has been living legally in Canada for one year as a temporary foreign worker or an international student, OR
    • you are a skilled worker who has at least one year of experience* in one or more of the occupations listed here.

Chet Zar wrote: »
    I hear that just walking around neighbourhoods and checking out the contact details for different property letting agents/managers and getting in touch with them directly is actually a good way to go. Makes sense especially as you know who and what you're dealing with straight from the get go!

That would be a good plan, if I was already over in Vancouver... By the time I get there I'd love to have my accommodation already sorted.

I guess I could probably look up some property agents from here and see if they have anything going. Otherwise it's back to craigslist.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 swabby

Hey, was just wondering if anyone knew the difference between a garda clearance form and garda vetting form. i have applied for a garda clearance form. as far as i know, the clearance form only takes a few weeks and can be obtained from your local garda station but the vetting form requires you to post all relevant info and forms to garda hq in tipperary. Does any1 know which one you need to get for usit application and what exactly is the difference between the two??? any help would be appreciated because i am not sure if i have applied for the right form. thanks.

swabby wrote: »
    Hey, was just wondering if anyone knew the difference between a garda clearance form and garda vetting form. i have applied for a garda clearance form. as far as i know, the clearance form only takes a few weeks and can be obtained from your local garda station but the vetting form requires you to post all relevant info and forms to garda hq in tipperary. Does any1 know which one you need to get for usit application and what exactly is the difference between the two??? any help would be appreciated because i am not sure if i have applied for the right form. thanks.

Ya, you applied for the right one for usit. You need Garda vetting if you are going to be working with children and things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 swabby

Ya, you applied for the right one for usit. You need Garda vetting if you are going to be working with children and things like that.
    Would it be worth while getting the garda vetting form aswell? Are there many jobs which require you to have a garda vetting and can you still get it once you have your visa? Thanks man

Its totally separate from the visa process but I guess you can get it if you want to. Most places will want vetting thats no older than 6 months so keep that in mind if you apply for it. I think its less than €10 to get it done.

What kind of work will you be looking for over in Canada? I'm not really sure about what kind of jobs in Canada would need vetting, working with vulnerable people is the most obvious one. This would cover things like teaching, medical related work, care assistant etc. I had to get it done for work I did in a primary school in the UK but I won't be doing that kind of work in Canada so I'm not going to bother getting the vetting done.

Forgot to say you can get it once you have your visa. I applied for mine from the UK so I presume you could apply for it from Canada if you had to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Ruatha

I wonder can anyone shed any light on this for me?

I did a degree in the UK from 2001-2005, but I was never there for more than 6 months in a 12 month period. So do you think I'd need a UK police cert for a Canadian work permit application?
    I was actually wondering, since Irish passports aren't stamped for entry to the UK, how would the Canadian immigration even know someone had been in the UK?????

R.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 MikeBob

jimmypitt wrote: »
    Vancouver without a doubt!! Wouldn't dream of going to the East Coast - don't want to go somewhere with worse weather than here!

Hi Im just wondering what about Edmonton?? Would it be good for Jobs, nite life etc or would Vancouver be the best option??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 MikeBob

Anyone know what company is doing the cheapest flights (to vancouver) and insurance at the moment..

• Advertisement

Ruatha wrote: »
    I wonder can anyone shed any light on this for me?

I did a degree in the UK from 2001-2005, but I was never there for more than 6 months in a 12 month period. So do you think I'd need a UK police cert for a Canadian work permit application?
    I was actually wondering, since Irish passports aren't stamped for entry to the UK, how would the Canadian immigration even know someone had been in the UK?????

R.

From usit's website:

As of 11 March 2010, the Canadian High Commission will no longer officially require Police Certificates from countries other than your home country, (Ireland/Northern Ireland depending on your country of permanent residence). If you have ever been arrested, convicted and/or charged with an offence in ANY country, then you may be required to obtain and submit a Police Certificate from all countries you have lived in for 6 months or more since turning 18. We would suggest you begin applying for these now as it is probable that you will be required by the Canadian High Commission to submit these to them at a later date. Please note, this may delay the processing of your application.

You might get away without having to get one at all.

From usit's website:

As of 11 March 2010, the Canadian High Commission will no longer officially require Police Certificates from countries other than your home country, (Ireland/Northern Ireland depending on your country of permanent residence). If you have ever been arrested, convicted and/or charged with an offence in ANY country, then you may be required to obtain and submit a Police Certificate from all countries you have lived in for 6 months or more since turning 18. We would suggest you begin applying for these now as it is probable that you will be required by the Canadian High Commission to submit these to them at a later date. Please note, this may delay the processing of your application.

You might get away without having to get one at all.

Sounds good, but does this apply to those using USIT to get a visa, or to anyone applying for one? I would be looking to go in as a skilled worker.

MikeBob wrote: »
    Anyone know what company is doing the cheapest flights (to vancouver) and insurance at the moment..

Apparently http://backpackertravelinsurance.ie/ is the cheapest insurance and people have said USIT accept it. That's who I'm thinking of going with.

As for flights, you just have to look around. Try Air Canada, Skyscanner, travel supermarket, British Airways. I got mine on ebookers a while back and got a really good deal. Since it's closer to the summer you mightn't get such a good deal. But just look around.

Ruatha wrote: »
    Sounds good, but does this apply to those using USIT to get a visa, or to anyone applying for one? I would be looking to go in as a skilled worker.

I'm not sure if this applies to skilled worker visas. If you are applying for a skilled worker visa they will probably want a full account of where and what you were doing up until now. If you misrepresent yourself you will be banned from Canada for a few years. I'd say you would be better off just to get the cert even if you didn't spend more than 6 months per year in the UK while you were studying over there. I had to get it in December because I studied in the UK but I'm not going to Canada on a skilled worker visa. It costs €42 and took about a month to arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 bridie27

oh god!whats wrong with air canada, ive booked with them from heathrow????:(

colin29 wrote: »
    This is good advice, nothing but a pain in the backside the two time I flew with them, KLM or British Airways are good options.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

bridie27 wrote: »
    oh god!whats wrong with air canada, ive booked with them from heathrow????:(

My last flight with them went like this, arrived at Vancouver airport heading back to Cork, checked in, when I got on the plane and took my seat I was asked if I would mind moving, I said I have no problem with that, I moved from the middle of coach to the front of the same section, got settled in, was then asked would I move again, I said no problem, I got moved to the back of the plane, this wasn't the end of my moving around the plane, apparently when people checked in even whole families including very young children they didn't seat anybody together leaving little kids sitting amongst strangers, they delayed the plane by about an hour while they re-arranged everyone.
    Finally we take off, get our first meal, don't receive our next meal until an hour and half outside Heathrow, they didn't have enough food for eveyone, the plane was heading in for final approach and they were only clearing peoples trays at that stage.
    First flight with them wasn't as bad but it was still bad.
    My wife who is Canadian refuses to fly with them because of her own experiences with them.

I'm not sure if this applies to skilled worker visas. If you are applying for a skilled worker visa they will probably want a full account of where and what you were doing up until now. If you misrepresent yourself you will be banned from Canada for a few years. I'd say you would be better off just to get the cert even if you didn't spend more than 6 months per year in the UK while you were studying over there. I had to get it in December because I studied in the UK but I'm not going to Canada on a skilled worker visa. It costs €42 and took about a month to arrive.

Thanks for that, yes I agree best to get one anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Sheebs

Hi everyone,

The Canada programmes are opening up for more applicants at 10am tomorrow and I just wanted to ask those of you that have already gone through the process, what information I will need on hand during this first stage?

Do I need passport numbers, PPS numbers or anything like that? I'm going to have to apply on behalf of my boyfriend so don't want to be caught out in the morning.

Sheebs wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

The Canada programmes are opening up for more applicants at 10am tomorrow and I just wanted to ask those of you that have already gone through the process, what information I will need on hand during this first stage?

Do I need passport numbers, PPS numbers or anything like that? I'm going to have to apply on behalf of my boyfriend so don't want to be caught out in the morning.

They will want personal details such names as they appear on your passports (in case ye go by something else), your contact details (address and phone numbers), next of kin details including contact details for them, passport numbers and passport expiry dates. No need for PPS details if I remember but maybe you should have them handy in case they changed things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Artfully Dodgin

Where does it say that they are opening up for more applicants? The waiting list is also full?

Advertisement