Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

http://canada.usit.ie/

It says its re-opening tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Danteryu

Hi all,

I got an offer a few weeks ago that I've accepted, I'm hoping to head out in June. :D
    What I'm wondering is, what's the best way to take my money there with me? I'd prefer to set up a Canadian bank account when I get there, so I'm thinking traveller's cheques to take with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Sheebs

So I registered me and boyfriend this morning and this is the message i got at the end of the process:
    Thank you.
    Thank you for registering for the Under 35 Work Canada Programme

A member of our team will contact you within the next business day to confirm your place on the programme and to book your flights and Insurance.
    Please have your credit/laser card ready when we call as you'll need to provide this when confirming your place on the Programme.

Please note, places will be held for 24 hours only.

Surely I won't have to book flights this soon?! I'm not even 100% sure what my plan is. Apologies if this has been asked before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I've applied to. Don't think you have to book your flights when they call you. Just pay the 409 or if you want 509 with the extra hundred euro coming off the price of your eventual booking of flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,165 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Any advice.

I am gonig to California for a week before I go to Canada.

My flight is with Air Canada so I have a 2 hour stop off in Toronto.

Should I just go through Customs there as a tourist and go onto my connecting flight, or would I be better to get the Work Permit there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Sheebs wrote: »
    Surely I won't have to book flights this soon?! I'm not even 100% sure what my plan is. Apologies if this has been asked before.

This would be kind of impossible, they wouldn't be able to give you a definite time of when you may get your visa anyway so they can't expect you to book your flights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Artfully Dodgin

So I registered me and boyfriend this morning and this is the message i got at the end of the process:

They can do this as you haven't even been approved for the visa yet

• Registered Users Posts: 40 lilmissbadass

lil_lisa wrote: »
    This would be kind of impossible, they wouldn't be able to give you a definite time of when you may get your visa anyway so they can't expect you to book your flights!

no they dont expect you to book your flights right away. i applied today too and wondered about this. i sat around all day waiting for them to call and eventually had to call them myself and had my application accepted. they tried to tell me they where charging me an extra €100 but it would go towards my flights. which i have no intention of getting throught them so i refused to pay it. my boyfriend who also did the same thing was giving the choice to pay it or not. so its not compulsory and you still dont have to book your flights and insurance through them just because off this.

I do have one question for you guys tho. i downloaded my application forms tonight and seen it asks you for all your employment details. i am currently unemployed and without a leaving certificate. i know it says in the checklist if you are unemployed, then you can put that down' for the current job question. but i was just wondering if anyone knows will being unemployed and having no leaving cert affect my application or does none of this matter?

i sat around all day waiting for them to call and eventually had to call them myself and had my application accepted.

I got a phonecall today (Applied to the Student Programme), but my boyfriend (Applied to the Under 35's Programme) didn't get any call. Will I get him to ring them in the morning? Will I get him to ring the number that rang me or is there a different number for the different programmes? Just a small bit worried, don't wanna be heading over solo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭jimmypitt

no they dont expect you to book your flights right away. i applied today too and wondered about this. i sat around all day waiting for them to call and eventually had to call them myself and had my application accepted. they tried to tell me they where charging me an extra €100 but it would go towards my flights. which i have no intention of getting throught them so i refused to pay it. my boyfriend who also did the same thing was giving the choice to pay it or not. so its not compulsory and you still dont have to book your flights and insurance through them just because off this.

I do have one question for you guys tho. i downloaded my application forms tonight and seen it asks you for all your employment details. i am currently unemployed and without a leaving certificate. i know it says in the checklist if you are unemployed, then you can put that down' for the current job question. but i was just wondering if anyone knows will being unemployed and having no leaving cert affect my application or does none of this matter?

Your education has no bearing on the visa, not does your current state of employment.

• Advertisement

I got a phonecall today (Applied to the Student Programme), but my boyfriend (Applied to the Under 35's Programme) didn't get any call. Will I get him to ring them in the morning? Will I get him to ring the number that rang me or is there a different number for the different programmes? Just a small bit worried, don't wanna be heading over solo!

I'd say the same people deal with the under 35s and the student visas so get your bf to call them at the number they used to call you. Even if its not the right number I'm sure they would be more than happy to point him in the right direction. Good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Artfully Dodgin

Seriously thinking about going to Canada.

I've spent time in New Zealand and Australia on WHV, so can anyone reading that has been to either or both and are currently in Canada make a compasison for me? The way of life, pros and cons of the country etc

The climate is the real killer for me as its not warm enough all year round. Plus the next country im going to I will be wanting to stay and try and make a life for myself, me and Ireland are breaking up for good this time!

Paying USIT to post paper work to London really grates on me too. A country that works with these cowboys makes me wonder bout it:)

Will I get him to ring them in the morning? Will I get him to ring the number that rang me or is there a different number for the different programmes? Just a small bit worried, don't wanna be heading over solo!

yeah get him to call. another one of my friends who also applied today never got a phone call. they told me on the phone that they where calling every1 in the next 24 hours, that was at 6.15pm. my friend called at 7.30pm and the office was closed for the rest of the night. so he's going to call first thing in the morning. they also told me that they had tried to contact me but couldn't get through which is impossible coz I carried my phone around in my hand all day waiting lol. so just get him to call first thing tomorrow morning and they will put it straight through for him. just make sure he does it before 10am because they said your place is only held for 24 hours and that's when the booking opened. just in case they try to fob him off with the same story they gave me and he loses his place over it.

you can call them on the number i did, dont know if its the same one you have. 016021906

jimmypitt wrote: »
    Your education has no bearing on the visa, not does your current state of employment.

thank you jimmypitt that really puts my mind at ease. i can start getting excited now any planning my trip :D

yeah get him to call. another one of my friends who also applied today never got a phone call. they told me on the phone that they where calling every1 in the next 24 hours, that was at 6.15pm. my friend called at 7.30pm and the office was closed for the rest of the night. so he's going to call first thing in the morning. they also told me that they had tried to contact me but couldn't get through which is impossible coz I carried my phone around in my hand all day waiting lol. so just get him to call first thing tomorrow morning and they will put it straight through for him. just make sure he does it before 10am because they said your place is only held for 24 hours and that's when the booking opened. just in case they try to fob him off with the same story they gave me and he loses his place over it.

you can call them on the number i did, dont know if its the same one you have. 016021906

Thanks for that! We'll all have grey hair by the time we get there :p

Whoop just got my call there.

Paid 409 in total with 100 euro of that going towards my flights and insurance and she gave me really good quotes for flights and insurance! Excited now!

Whoop just got my call there.

Paid 409 in total with 100 euro of that going towards my flights and insurance and she gave me really good quotes for flights and insurance! Excited now!

are you sure you didn't pay 509 with 100 of it going towards flights and insurance coz that's what I was told when i was on to them. where are you flying to. what was the quotes she gave you for flights and insurance coz I didn't get any?

No I told her I couldn't afford the 509 and she said it's actually 409, you get the visa for 309 with this. The flights were circa 1200 return including 12 month insurance for October and January.

Anyone else planning a US stopover before heading to Canada? My final destination will be Vancouver sometime in January next year, but I'm thinking about ringing in the new year in maybe Florida and having a weeks holiday there first (get some sun before braving the cold of Canada!).

I know USIT will book a stopover for you if you want, but is this way more expensive? Don't want to be broke before I even get there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mooch001

hi!!!im looking for people who have already recieved their visas,just wondering how long it took to have the visa approved and so on.i know usit say 8-10 weeks,does it take this long???my flight is booked for next week and my tracking thing still says sent to sponsor, usit cant say if i will have it in time.i can change my flight but really dont want to have to.anyone got any info???
    cheers:)

• Advertisement

Making a stopover depends on how much money you have really. I looked into it but the final cost just put me off. I'm not going to have a great deal of money when I go over. I was looking at having to spend well over €2000 (excluding spending money for the stopover) before I even set foot in Canada. I thought I'd rather use the money the stopover would have cost (a few weeks rent) to help me get set up in Canada first, then I'd have the rest of the time to make trips from a base in Canada.

Making a stopover depends on how much money you have really. I looked into it but the final cost just put me off. I'm not going to have a great deal of money when I go over. I was looking at having to spend well over €2000 (excluding spending money for the stopover) before I even set foot in Canada. I thought I'd rather use the money the stopover would have cost (a few weeks rent) to help me get set up in Canada first, then I'd have the rest of the time to make trips from a base in Canada.

Aw are ya serious? That's disappointing :( How did they justify it costing that much more?!

Anyone else planning a US stopover before heading to Canada? My final destination will be Vancouver sometime in January next year, but I'm thinking about ringing in the new year in maybe Florida and having a weeks holiday there first (get some sun before braving the cold of Canada!).

I know USIT will book a stopover for you if you want, but is this way more expensive? Don't want to be broke before I even get there!

I am doing a stop over! Spending a week in San Diego before i go to Canada. Got a one way ticket which cost me €476.

USIT quoted me some ridiculous prices for what i wanted so i went it alone and booked my own flights via ebookers.

I think if you have the money a stop off in the US is a good idea. I just wish Thailand or somewhere cheap like that happened to be on the way over!

Aw are ya serious? That's disappointing :( How did they justify it costing that much more?!

They didn't say anything really. I looked into stopping in Chicago, Seattle and San Francisco. I got some quotes from usit and I looked into booking it myself but the costs were coming in at about the same price. Like jimmy said if you have the extra cash to do it then go ahead, I know I would :D

Hang on, can you guys help me with something? So the Canada visa is for 12 months? And you have to book return tickets? Or am I misunderstanding?

lil_lisa wrote: »
    Hang on, can you guys help me with something? So the Canada visa is for 12 months? And you have to book return tickets? Or am I misunderstanding?

It is a 12 month visa and no you don't have to book return flights (provided you can prove you have 3,000 dollars in your bank account).

Yeah ok, cos I thought you guys were talking about booking return flights but usually that's not even possible.

Thanks!

mooch001 wrote: »
    hi!!!im looking for people who have already recieved their visas,just wondering how long it took to have the visa approved and so on.i know usit say 8-10 weeks,does it take this long???my flight is booked for next week and my tracking thing still says sent to sponsor, usit cant say if i will have it in time.i can change my flight but really dont want to have to.anyone got any info???

When did they send it to the Commission? usit told me it would take 6-8 weeks to process.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,165 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I booked flights and Insurance through Usit and I am doing a weeks stop over in Lake Arrowhead in Cali.

Flights and insurance from Usit came in at €1700 i was getting quoted £1500 just for the flights when looking online.

So I just went ahead with Usit did that booking with the free return date change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭goldjogger

mooch001 wrote: »

I got my visa after 8 weeks of applying, hopefully you will get yours, it sudn't take more than d 8 weeks really,

Advertisement