Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mooch001

i sent it to usit 6 weeks ago.i would have sent it ages ago but i was waiting for police certs from other countries which in the end i didnt even need,ahhhh.so prob 2 more weeks ye reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Hey,
    Does anyone know how often a year do USIT open these programmes? When this one is full will it be another year?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 lilmissbadass

hi guys just doing a bit of research on the job front before me and my boyfriend head over in october and was wondering if anyone could help me with a little problem. my boyfriend is an electrician and hopes to work in this profession when we get over there and iv been looking online and have read that he might need a canadian license to do so but cant find much else information about this. so was wondering if any of you are in the same boat or are maybe over there already and could give me a little bit of advice or info on the matter. thanks:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭someyoke

A relation of mine went over to work as an electrician in Canada and found out that he had to pay an extra $3-4k for a licence of some sort. That was over a year ago so don't know if there's been any change in the situation. Sounded like a bit of racket.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

hi guys just doing a bit of research on the job front before me and my boyfriend head over in october and was wondering if anyone could help me with a little problem. my boyfriend is an electrician and hopes to work in this profession when we get over there and iv been looking online and have read that he might need a canadian license to do so but cant find much else information about this. so was wondering if any of you are in the same boat or are maybe over there already and could give me a little bit of advice or info on the matter. thanks:confused:

He'll need to sit the red seal exam, but first will have to show work history to show that he is an electrician, I think the test can cost between $300-$400, pass mark is 70% and you have two chances to pass, he'll need to get his hands on the various electrical code books and study, alot of people assume they know it all and fail.
    Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mazzersmhanno

hi all,heading to toronto around the middle of jan nxt year on a usit u/35 visa. am fully qualified hairdresser with over 13 yrs experience,does anyone kno what the story is there workwise. also,are all hairdressing jobs on a rent a chair basis or can i get a set wage and bump it up with tips?? the rent a chair thing is scary in case business is bad and i cant afford the rent on it! also are they keen to hire someone whos only there for a year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

i missed a phone call from USIT earlier today (at work) but they left a voice mail saying they need to get my flight details and insurance details off me to send to the high commission. i tried calling them back but it says their office is closed till Monday. Must have been doing overtime today :rolleyes:

Anyway im going to ring them back tomorrow but i haven't decided what date i am going nor will i be making this decision till July when i know weather i have enough saved or not. If i don't have enough saved im waiting till January me thinks.

I think i mentioned in this thread before about not knowing the dates of flying but now im wondering will i be forced by USIT to book my flights :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Hi all,

Living 40 minutes outside of Vancouver in Squamish. Haven't even been here a full week yet. Just got out the day before all this Volcanic Ash stuff started... seriously spooked me... if I'd booked a flight for the next day my Residency Application would of expired and I'd be back in Ireland now going through the process all over again... rather than sitting in the local net cafe looking out at the rockies... what a difference a day makes.

Anyway, will hopefully be coming down to Van once I get a car in the next week. If there are any meetups on the West coast for some Irish heads from on here give me a shout via PM.

oh and just got this email from her
    Hello Aidan,

I have been in contact with you back in January regarding flights to Canada. Your visa has been issued since 1st April and we still don't have any Flights or Insurance details on your file.

Please let me know as soon as you can , as we need to advise our Sponsor of your arrival to Canada.

Regards

Adisa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 vancouver2010

Hi guys,

So I know that there is supposed to be no advertising but I am posting this as it may help someone who is trying to get going in Canada.
    Me from Galway and my buddy from Cork(or more importantly from Cork as he likes to say:pac:) have an ensuite double room for rent in a 29th Floor brand new apartment in downtown Vancouver

The full ad is here
    http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/roo/1700580354.html

Available May 1st
    Give us a shout after 5pm if youd like to view 778-321-5459/604-729-4824

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

inode wrote: »
    Anyway im going to ring them back tomorrow but i haven't decided what date i am going nor will i be making this decision till July when i know weather i have enough saved or not. If i don't have enough saved im waiting till January me thinks.

Are the flights part of the application process? I know they give you 40 days from the time they notify you of the visa to get all your paperwork back to them. If flight information is part of that paperwork I'd be getting it back quick.

The queue is large so if people take longer than 40 days the next person in the queue gets your spot.

However I'm not sure if flights are required as part of that paperwork. Maybe post that info up when you give them a buzz this morning.
    You might not have to pay the full cost of the flight. I think travel agents will hold them for you if you pay a deposit so that's worth asking about.

(I'm not a travel agent, so double check with them).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fonamah

mooch001 wrote: »
    i sent it to usit 6 weeks ago.i would have sent it ages ago but i was waiting for police certs from other countries which in the end i didnt even need,ahhhh.so prob 2 more weeks ye reckon?

I did the exact same thing. I was moving back from being on L1B visa in the U.S. and I was informed that I needed police certificate, which took 10weeks to come back! Then it turns out as of March, I did not need the certificate any more.

My flights are booked for 27th April, but my visa application was only sent off 26th March. So looks like I'm going to be sitting here in Ireland for another 4 weeks unemployed. I can't even get the dole either since I was out of Ireland for 2 years. Some joke!!

just rang USIT there and they told me they were just ringing everyone yesterday to see if they are ready to book their flights but that there is no rush or deadline to do so.
    Funny how the girl who left the voicemail said it was urgent and they needed my flight details ASAP :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jb82

i have a question about the medical. i am planning to be substitute teaching and therefore looks like i will need a medical. from the usit website it states that it costs 400 and i need to get it from them. however, is there anything to stop me from not getting it with them and getting one in canada when needed? i know usit say this cant be done but im thinking could be just saying this so theyll pocket a good chunk of that 400 euro.

it states on their site

'Unfortunately it is not possible for you to complete your medical in Canada, you must do in your country of residence before your Work Authorisation will be issued'.

could i not mention the medical and get my work authorisation issued and then get all the medical stuff sorted in canada if i needed?

jb82 wrote: »
    i have a question about the medical. i am planning to be substitute teaching and therefore looks like i will need a medical. from the usit website it states that it costs 400 and i need to get it from them. however, is there anything to stop me from not getting it with them and getting one in canada when needed? i know usit say this cant be done but im thinking could be just saying this so theyll pocket a good chunk of that 400 euro.

it states on their site

'Unfortunately it is not possible for you to complete your medical in Canada, you must do in your country of residence before your Work Authorisation will be issued'.

could i not mention the medical and get my work authorisation issued and then get all the medical stuff sorted in canada if i needed?

The medical you require will cost as much as that if not a little more, this isn't a scam, you'll need to pay for the doctor (blood tests and all that) and also a set of chest x-rays, I think there are only three doctors in Ireland where the medical can be done, one in Cork and I think the other two are in Dublin, you can't just use any GP, he/she has to be approved by the Canadian government.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jb82

colin29 wrote: »
    The medical you require will cost as much as that if not a little more, this isn't a scam, you'll need to pay for the doctor (blood tests and all that) and also a set of chest x-rays, I think there are only three doctors in Ireland where the medical can be done, one in Cork and I think the other two are in Dublin, you can't just use any GP, he/she has to be approved by the Canadian government.

it's just that i don't know if i will be teaching yet. still do not know if i'll get certified by the relevant teaching authority so it'd be 400 euro down the pan if i could not that. would just be handier if i could get i done in canada.

jb82 wrote: »
    it's just that i don't know if i will be teaching yet. still do not know if i'll get certified by the relevant teaching authority so it'd be 400 euro down the pan if i could not that. would just be handier if i could get i done in canada.

If you are only coming here on the U35 for a year I think you should look into other jobs, teaching will involve background checks, you'll have to get certified, there are loads of people in this country vying for these positions as is so it may not be worth your time or money because even after the medical and getting certified there's still no guarantee you'll get a job as a teacher.

i talked to them yesterday and they told me theres no way ill have my visa before my flight on the 24th so its changed now to 7th may:(im the same i gave up my job last week and now have to sit and wait for 3 weeks with no job and my boyfriends already out there:(
    i know there not a lot i can do but it sux doesnt it!!!id be there now if they said earlier we didnt need the police certs:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sarahcanada

Hey just wondering if anyone heading toronto this summer that needs people to share with? Me and a friend are heading over for July and August and rent seems to be pretty expensive? Anyone else heading over in a small group?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sarahcanada

Hey just wondering if there is anyone heading over to Toronto this summer that needs people to share with? Me and a friend are heading over for July and August and rent seems to be pretty expensive? Anyone else heading over in a small group?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 damienc

Hey all

Heading over as soon as I get my visa, sent to sponser at the moment.
    Question, does anyone know if it is o.k to travel to Canada on a holiday while your visa is being processed?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Danteryu

I'm pretty sure that you have to stay in Ireland during the processing.
    I think you can visit in between the time the processing is finished and the time you fly out though, best to ask them yourself to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 damienc

Danteryu wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that you have to stay in Ireland during the processing.
    I think you can visit in between the time the processing is finished and the time you fly out though, best to ask them yourself to be sure.

Thanks.. just fired off an email now so see what the reply is..

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

damienc wrote: »
    Hey all

Heading over as soon as I get my visa, sent to sponser at the moment.
    Question, does anyone know if it is o.k to travel to Canada on a holiday while your visa is being processed?

I did the same (SA- dude do it, its the best thing I ever did!! Puts Vancouver in the shade), but had my mates bring the letter when I met them in Mexico before I got here.
    having seen how the visa thing works, I'd say you could pull it off, you'll need to get the letter Fed-Ex'd to you in Canada then flagpole (step into the US then back to Canada) and explain the situation to the border guys.

One caveat, I found them to be bigger assholes at the border than the airport.

How about go tot he nearest US city and fly back into Canada? for example Seattle to Vancouver is cheap, about a hundred dollars one way- the train or bus costs 40 one way anyway

i was told i wouldn get my visa if i went to canada before it has been approved.but yeah u could go and then go to the us and go back,might work.u definately need to enter with the visa so they can stamp it in ur passport at the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 lisab22

Hey just wondering if anyone heading toronto this summer that needs people to share with? Me and a friend are heading over for July and August and rent seems to be pretty expensive? Anyone else heading over in a small group?

Hi Sarah,

myself and 2 friends r headin to toronto in august n r lookin for ppl to share wit as rent over der is pretty dear! what date r u guys headin over?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭twistyj

i dont suppose anyone is heading to van from dublin via london on the 15th of may by any chance? would be cool to have a travel buddy for the long haul.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭twistyj

i dont suppose anyone is heading to van from dublin via london on the 15th of may by any chance? would be cool to have a travel buddy for the long haul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kcurran13

Hey travelling to Toronto on my own on the 17th of May. Staying in a hostel for the first week till i get my bearings will hopefully get a job/place to stay fairly quick. Anyone doing the same?would love to make a few friends for when i get there!coola boola

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 MikeBob

Hi,
    I know the Usit website says 8 - 10 weeks to receive my visa.. I am just wondering what is the average time it has taken, I need to know can I take a chance (that it will be closer to 8 weeks) for booking flights...
    Thanks

Advertisement