Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭twistyj

MikeBob wrote: »
    Hi,
    I know the Usit website says 8 - 10 weeks to receive my visa.. I am just wondering what is the average time it has taken, I need to know can I take a chance (that it will be closer to 8 weeks) for booking flights...
    Thanks

hey mikebob i applied for mine on the 5th of january and finalized everything on 12th of february and i heard back from them last week and they said i should have everything by the first of may, im leaving on the 15th! oh ya i went through so much crap to get that garda cert.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Hi,
    I know the Usit website says 8 - 10 weeks to receive my visa.. I am just wondering what is the average time it has taken, I need to know can I take a chance (that it will be closer to 8 weeks) for booking flights...
    Thanks

Hey Mike. I applied for the student visa and my application has been at the Commission for 7 weeks as of today and my status is still Sent to Sponsor.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Sheebs

Hey,

I sent away for a new passport today and will be cutting it fine in getting it for the 40day deadline. What I'm wondering is if I need my passport to get Garda clearance? Because if I do I'm fecked! Or can I use my old passports details?
    I'm a bit confused about the whole process to be honest!

Sheebs wrote: »
    Hey,

I sent away for a new passport today and will be cutting it fine in getting it for the 40day deadline. What I'm wondering is if I need my passport to get Garda clearance? Because if I do I'm fecked! Or can I use my old passports details?
    I'm a bit confused about the whole process to be honest!

Hope you went with passport express! I don't think you need your passport for Garda clearance, just as long as you have some other forms of identification with you. I renewed my passport and got my Garda clearance on the same day. Thought I wouldn't be able to use my passport so I brought my driver's licence and birth cert with me as well so the guards were happy enough with that. They would probably accept a garda id too.

Thanks,
    I have a feeling I'm not gonna make this deadline :mad: What's the charge if you're late?

• Advertisement

Thanks,
    I have a feeling I'm not gonna make this deadline :mad: What's the charge if you're late?

I didn't even know there was a late charge :eek:.... but I'm sure you will be fine Sheebs. You've got the ball rolling. If you used passport express you could have your passport in less that 2 weeks. When you go to get your garda clearance tell the guards its urgent and they might speed things up for you. My clearance took 6 days and my passport took 9 days (I think) and I wasn't even in a rush to get them...you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

You can travel over as long as you have your passport, its not required from the embassy or visa company while you're over there and you don't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Kellzer

I sent my forms back to USIT 11 weeks ago today and it still says 'sent to sponsor' on my tracking page. It says 6-8 weeks wait on the website and I know there's a bit of a backlog from talking to USIT but they wont give me any more info than that. Is anyone else waiting this long or what's the general wait time? I'm not travelling until the 7th July so Im not panicking yet or anything but I wouldn't mind getting it back soon and being done with USIT and everything. My girlfriend had to apply for a new passport and hers is 3 weeks behind mine so Ill probably start worrying in 2or3weeks if mine isnt back since shes a few weeks behind again!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 lilmissbadass

Kellzer wrote: »
    I sent my forms back to USIT 11 weeks ago today and it still says 'sent to sponsor' on my tracking page. It says 6-8 weeks wait on the website and I know there's a bit of a backlog from talking to USIT but they wont give me any more info than that. Is anyone else waiting this long or what's the general wait time? I'm not travelling until the 7th July so Im not panicking yet or anything but I wouldn't mind getting it back soon and being done with USIT and everything. My girlfriend had to apply for a new passport and hers is 3 weeks behind mine so Ill probably start worrying in 2or3weeks if mine isnt back since shes a few weeks behind again!

2 friends of mine who also applied for the programme in January are flying of to Vancouver in 4 weeks and they only received their visas 2 weeks ago. its processed in order of who's planning on travelling over there first so you might not get yours till may or June. it is a lot longer than the website states!!! me and my boyfriend applied for ours 2 weeks ago and are flying out in October, i just hope it doesn't take as long to get our visas as its been taking everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

same as that, i applied in Jan like everyone and only granted the visa today

• Advertisement

Kellzer wrote: »

I sent all my stuff to usit 10 weeks ago. They kept my documents for 3 weeks before doing anything with them so I'm still waiting for the visa to be approved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ohanlc

hi everyone,

long time viewer first time poster.

had a question and was hoping someone might have some insight.

Ive been accepted for the u35 canadian working holiday and am hoping to head to Whistler in november for the winter season.
    as im heading off by myself id like to have a job and accomodation set up before i go if at all possible.
    does anybody no if you can apply for a job at whistler online?
    stupid question i no but from reading the whistler website you have to go through intrawest companies if your a foreign applicant (unless your currently in canada obviously).
    from what i can tell you have to go for an interview but there doesn't seem to be any company in ireland doing this.

ive been looking at owh(overseas working holiday) in england but because my passport wont be valid for 24 months upon arrival they wont accept me and i refuse to pay USIT anymore money to get my passport number changed on the visa itself.

any info would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Obviously you are perfectly welcome to post here but there is a forum for under 35's specificaly. You may get a better response there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

ohanlc wrote: »
    long time viewer first time poster.
    Welcome! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 TRIXABEL

Whooo im off to toronto! Cant wait. Not sure where im staying yet but me and a friend are heading off on 1st June. Got a great price for 2 weeks €477 with american holidays...will wing it when i get there :)
    but any advice on where cheap to stay in toronto appreciated
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 MikeBob

inode wrote: »
    just rang USIT there and they told me they were just ringing everyone yesterday to see if they are ready to book their flights but that there is no rush or deadline to do so.
    Funny how the girl who left the voicemail said it was urgent and they needed my flight details ASAP :rolleyes:

Hi, i just received a call from a girl saying that she needs to know by friday..Or else she is going ringing me monday.. WTF...??.#?

twistyj wrote: »
    hey mikebob i applied for mine on the 5th of january and finalized everything on 12th of february and i heard back from them last week and they said i should have everything by the first of may, im leaving on the 15th! oh ya i went through so much crap to get that garda cert.....

Thanks for letting me know..
    Did you receive any call for Usit asking for your flight details cause i got a call today saying that i need to let Usit know my flight details by friday my visa was only sent to canada last week..?

Hey Mike. I applied for the student visa and my application has been at the Commission for 7 weeks as of today and my status is still Sent to Sponsor.

Thanks for replying with that..
    Did you receive any call for Usit asking for your flight details cause i got a call today saying that i need to let Usit know my flight details by friday my visa was only sent to canada last week..?

hi everyone,long time viewer first time poster.

had a question and was hoping someone might have some insight.Ive been accepted for the u35 canadian working holiday and am hoping to head to Whistler in november for the winter season.as im heading off by myself id like to have a job and accomodation set up before i go if at all possible.

stupid question i no but from reading the whistler website you have to go through intrawest companies if your a foreign applicant (unless your currently in canada obviously).

from what i can tell you have to go for an interview but there doesn't seem to be any company in ireland doing this.

ive been looking at owh(overseas working holiday) in england but because my passport wont be valid for 24 months upon arrival they wont accept me and i refuse to pay USIT anymore money to get my passport number changed on the visa itself.

Welcome! :D

thanks

• Advertisement

poisonated wrote: »
    Obviously you are perfectly welcome to post here but there is a forum for under 35's specificaly. You may get a better response there.

Ive posted it on a few boards already but figured the more i post on, the more info i could get.

thanks for the help anyway.

ohanlc wrote: »
    hi everyone,long time viewer first time poster.

had a question and was hoping someone might have some insight.Ive been accepted for the u35 canadian working holiday and am hoping to head to Whistler in november for the winter season.as im heading off by myself id like to have a job and accomodation set up before i go if at all possible.

Hey,

I was really hoping to try and get in with Whistler before I arrived in Canada (next Jan) aswell. I emailed them and asked them will there be any jobs going at that time of the year and they replied saying to check the website when I arrive:
    www.whistlerblackcomb.com/jobs

They emailed me back really quickly so whatever you wanna ask them you could email them: employeeexperience@intrawest.com

It seems the interview process starts really early in the year (i.e. interviews start from around now for winter 10/11 season.) So I'm thinking I might just save my Whistler experience for winter 11/12 as I will be in Canada this time next year and available for interview.
    There does seem to be interviews in the UK and Oz looking for recruits, abit crap they don't stop here :(

Hope that helps you :)

Hey,

I was really hoping to try and get in with Whistler before I arrived in Canada (next Jan) aswell. I emailed them and asked them will there be any jobs going at that time of the year and they replied saying to check the website when I arrive:
    www.whistlerblackcomb.com/jobs

They emailed me back really quickly so whatever you wanna ask them you could email them: employeeexperience@intrawest.com

It seems the interview process starts really early in the year (i.e. interviews start from around now for winter 10/11 season.) So I'm thinking I might just save my Whistler experience for winter 11/12 as I will be in Canada this time next year and available for interview.
    There does seem to be interviews in the UK and Oz looking for recruits, abit crap they don't stop here :(

Hope that helps you :)

thanks for that. ill get on to them straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

I got an email today saying it URGENT that I provide them with my flight and insurance before 15th May if I am planning on travelling between then and September.
    This is due to increased pressure from their Canadian couterparts apparently.
    I was planning to head over during the summer but can't book flights yet because visa status is still "Sent to Sponsor" and I can't see that changing before 15th May!
    So what to do?!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭twistyj

crushproof wrote: »
    I got an email today saying it URGENT that I provide them with my flight and insurance before 15th May if I am planning on travelling between then and September.
    I was planning to head over during the summer but can't book flights yet because visa status is still "Sent to Sponsor" and I can't see that changing before 15th May!
    So what to do?!

book your flights and insur. usit are holding out on you with your visa until they get payment.

No, I didn't get any calls but they were emailing me about flights and insurance. I paid a deposit with usit for flights and insurance so they've left me alone. I looked into booking flights and insurance myself, I looked at all sorts of routes and airlines but the greatest saving was only €200. The usit admin fee would have reduced this to €150. What swung it for usit was the free flight change for the departure because my departure date will depend on how much I have saved. Also, you cannot book a return flight a year in advance so you will have to pay to change your return date. At least by booking with usit this was only going to cost me €50. I've had to change return dates for flights twice before and it can be costly. Aer Arann charged me €100 and Aer Lingus charged me €150 for changing return dates before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ness23-37

So what to do?![/QUOTE]

Crushproof I'm in exactly the same position as you. I replied to their email basically saying the same thing as yours, saying I won't be booking flights until I have my VISA... which I applied for in January! I'll let you know when they respond!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

ness23-37 wrote: »
    Crushproof I'm in exactly the same position as you. I replied to their email basically saying the same thing as yours, saying I won't be booking flights until I have my VISA... which I applied for in January! I'll let you know when they respond!

Done the same and still waiting for a reply! Can't believe you applied in January and you're still waiting!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Kod-box

you need proof of flights to get the visa though, dont you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

No, they can't expect you to have flights booked before even getting the visa approved. What would happen if your visa was refused for some other reason? There would be chaos!

Advertisement