Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Kod-box

Do you mean actualy getting accepted for the visa or getting the visa?

because flights and insurance are required before the Canadian government actually send out the Visa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Getting accepted for the visa. Once your visa is approved then you should book your flights.

oh right.

yeah thats ridiculous asking people for flight details before their even accepted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Kod-box wrote: »
    Do you mean actualy getting accepted for the visa or getting the visa?

because flights and insurance are required before the Canadian government actually send out the Visa

I'm not sure you're correct there. There are plenty of posts on these threads from a month or so ago where Usit were ringing people saying their visa was approved so now they needed to start working on flights and insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 lstevo

Hi i was told last week that the Canadian high commission refused me from the under 35 programme. I am still waiting for a letter explaining why.
    Has anyone else heard of anyone else being refused and why?

• Advertisement

I'm not sure you're correct there. There are plenty of posts on these threads from a month or so ago where Usit were ringing people saying their visa was approved so now they needed to start working on flights and insurance.

yeah thats how it works isnt it?

they approve the visa but before they issue it you have to give flight details and insurance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Kod-box wrote: »
    they approve the visa but before they issue it you have to give flight details and insurance.

What's wrong with that?
    I'm pretty sure people would apply and then not go if they didn't have to book their flights. You know that would happen so less people would end up going.
    There are piles of people trying to get these visas. I'd prefer if every single one of the people who got the visa used it rather than apply for it as a plan b option for something else. If you're not sure then don't apply. I'm pretty sure you don't have to buy your flights through Usit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Looks like I'm going to Canada on September 26th! My status changed to Work Auth Doc Printed - Your Work Authorisation Document Has Been Issued. Applied on January 12th and the visa was approved on April 30th. Long wait!

What's wrong with that?
    I'm pretty sure people would apply and then not go if they didn't have to book their flights. You know that would happen so less people would end up going.
    There are piles of people trying to get these visas. I'd prefer if every single one of the people who got the visa used it rather than apply for it as a plan b option for something else. If you're not sure then don't apply. I'm pretty sure you don't have to buy your flights through Usit?

and what happens if you book flights and the time comes and your still on the waiting list?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

ohanlc wrote: »
    thanks for that. ill get on to them straight away.

I'm heading to Vancouver in August and hoping to get work in Whistler too. What kind of response did you get off them, if any yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ohanlc

dceire wrote: »
    I'm heading to Vancouver in August and hoping to get work in Whistler too. What kind of response did you get off them, if any yet?

Hey,

Ive been on to them but im still waiting for a response. ill let you no what they say when they get back onto me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ohanlc

dceire wrote: »

just got a response from them there. They said there was nothing they could do for me but there will be fairs in whistler in august and november so that would be your best bet. thats what im going to have to do.

hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

ohanlc wrote: »
    just got a response from them there. They said there was nothing they could do for me but there will be fairs in whistler in august and november so that would be your best bet. thats what im going to have to do.

hope this helps.

Cool, thanks for that.

I'll be in Vancouver by mid August so I should be able to get to at least one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Anybody gotten away with avoiding the stupid €50 "admin" fee?
    Told them I'm gonna book my own flights, but of course USIT are demanding the €50!

Also, anyone thinking of Calgary? I'll be heading over on my lonesome gimme a shout. Chap I was talking to says it's pretty easy to pick up a job there within the first week or so. Plus it seems cheaper then Vancouver.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭RayCarley

crushproof wrote: »
    Told them I'm gonna book my own flights, but of course USIT are demanding the €50!

Also, anyone thinking of Calgary? I'll be heading over on my lonesome gimme a shout. Chap I was talking to says it's pretty easy to pick up a job there within the first week or so. Plus it seems cheaper then Vancouver.

I think that €50 fee is pretty unavoidable; apparently people have tried and failed to get out of it. So I just took the plunge and paid it. It was the most reluctant piece of money I've paid for this holiday so far I have to say.

crushproof wrote: »

I'm heading to Calgary on September 26th on my own. From what I heard its easier to get a job there. Doesn't seem to be a hot spot for the British and Irish so hopefully it will be easier to pick up casual work. Its also near Banff and Edmonton seems relatively near. Looks really nice from the pics I've seen and its got a NHL team...I'll probably be talking up the cause of the Calgary Flames when I'm there!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 lilmissbadass

ok really starting to freak out now about the police certs. i applied for the programme on 13/4/2010 and paid my €409 fee so i applied for my police cert the very next day in my local garda station (coolock dublin) its been three weeks now and i havnt recieved my garda cert and starting to worry im not going to get it by the 40day deadline. so was wondering if any of you are in the same position or how long it took to get yours. and have any of you got any advice for me on what to do now?

I'd say go down to your station again and chase them up about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

did they not give you a little form with a number you can ring to check up the status of your report when you applied for it?

I got one, though my police cert only took a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 lilmissbadass

did they not give you a little form with a number you can ring to check up the status of your report when you applied for it?

I got one, though my police cert only took a week.

no i didn't know you where meant to get one of those. they did take my number though in case they need to get in touch with me. my boyfriend applied for his in a different station on the same day and didnt get a number either but like yourself he got his within a week. i think i will have to pay them a little visit 2moro. im just afraid my form was lost or disregarded its a very busy city station and when i was applying for it the garde i was dealing with at first didn't know much about it and tried telling me i needed to send my application to thurles luckily enough another guard came along and took my application from me but after all that i don't have much faith in them to get it done and have it back to me in time. i have a feeling this visit wont go very politely 2moro lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

no i didn't know you where meant to get one of those. they did take my number though in case they need to get in touch with me. my boyfriend applied for his in a different station on the same day and didnt get a number either but like yourself he got his within a week. i think i will have to pay them a little visit 2moro. im just afraid my form was lost or disregarded its a very busy city station and when i was applying for it the garde i was dealing with at first didn't know much about it and tried telling me i needed to send my application to thurles luckily enough another guard came along and took my application from me but after all that i don't have much faith in them to get it done and have it back to me in time. i have a feeling this visit wont go very politely 2moro lol

Yep just chase them up and try to pin down what stage it's at. It really shouldn't take that long. Be persistent with them anyway as I'm sure you will!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jeanie_Mac

Hi all

I'm off to Toronto at the start of June, just to work for the summer although I might stay out there if it goes well. I'm a solo female traveller too - if anyone wants to meet up before/after that would be great!

:-)

PS - there's a group on Facebook called Irish in Toronto Connected (with a total of 3 people so far!) why don't some of you who are heading to Toronto join that & it might be easier to organise a get-together over there. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭chargerman

kcurran13 wrote: »
    Hey travelling to Toronto on my own on the 17th of May. Staying in a hostel for the first week till i get my bearings will hopefully get a job/place to stay fairly quick. Anyone doing the same?would love to make a few friends for when i get there!coola boola

Hey I arrived in Toronto last week. I came on my own too. I got a good bit of help of the Irish over here. If you need to know anything just let me know I can give you my email. I didnt have my resume done before I came and I regretted it. The hostel is a great way to make friends

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jeanie_Mac

chargerman wrote: »
    Hey I arrived in Toronto last week. I came on my own too. I got a good bit of help of the Irish over here. If you need to know anything just let me know I can give you my email. I didnt have my resume done before I came and I regretted it. The hostel is a great way to make friends

Did you just meet other Irish people through the hostel? I'm not staying there so I don't know where or how I'm going to meet other Irish people.
    I've been sending out my resume to agencies willy-nilly in Toronto and haven't even gotten one response.
    I don't require a visa and I'm looking for accountancy work if anyone knows about a good job on offer PM me! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mark dollard

looks like there'll be no shortage of Irish over there!
    heading for vancouver, looking to get some film work (camera department)
    I am only on this working holiday jobby, so will have to chance my arm with non union shows. I'll give that about 6 months and then head off to see the rest of the country.
    Departing around mid June, gonna book something this week.
    I would advise everyone to avoid Usit as much as possible, especially with flights. I started pricing with them a couple of weeks ago. I want to stop off in New York on the way. I was told this wasn't possible, so a direct flight to Vancouver (by way of heathrow) would set me back 1300 lids.
    Looked into it myself, a two part journey via New York; 800
    Usit are a company with profit in mind and it would be naive in the extreme to think they're not taking advantage of this recession

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

I'm heading to Calgary on September 26th on my own. From what I heard its easier to get a job there. Doesn't seem to be a hot spot for the British and Irish so hopefully it will be easier to pick up casual work. Its also near Banff and Edmonton seems relatively near. Looks really nice from the pics I've seen and its got a NHL team...I'll probably be talking up the cause of the Calgary Flames when I'm there!

Jeez, looks like I'll have to work on my NHL lingo if I'm gonna fit in! I've been in touch with a couple of people over there and it seems ok, one hostel guy has been sound and said he'd make enquires regarding jobs! You got any connections over there?
    i have a feeling this visit wont go very politely 2moro lol

Yeah just hassle them and refuse to leave the station until they find it or get you to fill out a new one and issue it pronto. They lost mine as well and I kicked up a fuss so they faxed it into the Criminal check place in harcourt St. and I had it in my letterbox the next morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,165 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

looks like there'll be no shortage of Irish over there!
    heading for vancouver, looking to get some film work (camera department)
    I am only on this working holiday jobby, so will have to chance my arm with non union shows. I'll give that about 6 months and then head off to see the rest of the country.
    Departing around mid June, gonna book something this week.
    I would advise everyone to avoid Usit as much as possible, especially with flights. I started pricing with them a couple of weeks ago. I want to stop off in New York on the way. I was told this wasn't possible, so a direct flight to Vancouver (by way of heathrow) would set me back 1300 lids.
    Looked into it myself, a two part journey via New York; 800
    Usit are a company with profit in mind and it would be naive in the extreme to think they're not taking advantage of this recession

Well i got a very good deal from them as i price the flights i was going for with usit and online and the price i got quoted from Usit for flights and Insurance was the same price as i found online for the flights i wanted at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Yeah I have to say USIT got me really competitive prices on flights and insurance.

I guess it all depends on when you fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

Hey Everyone,

Another long time reader first time poster. Ppl keep saying its much cheaper not to book flights with usit but with someone else. Which are these websites? i tried cheap flights.ie and got a single way to Van for 410, doesnt seem bad to me, but is there cheaper out there?

Also anyone know of the sponsorship process im hoping to find a career job and then once the year is up hopefully get them to sponsor me, if the sponsored visa is really expensive then companies wouldn't be too happy hiring a foreigner right?

Last thing, Ive also been trying to find where to get jobs for the ski season up it Whistler or wherever anyone know of where to start looking?

Reading peoples posts about there being loads of jobs sounds great and is getting me excited about it, hopefully I can nab one of em this place here has got me all depressed not being able to get one.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Captain Pillowcase

Hey,

Just downloaded my visa paperwork tonight!!!!!!!! (Bit poo looking though, one for NZ was at least a holographic sticker in your passport)

Also got out of paying that "admin" fee. Eh hello paid 399E already, but sure that was to post, phone and e-mail. Hmmmm would 399 really cover it?????;)

Got great deals on the flights. Booked way back in Jan and got the BA sale tickets for 430 inc tax etc (return) and then insurance for 239. So the whole kit and kaboodle for 1068E so I am a pretty happy camper.

Notice given to work etc, so the only thing left is to head away:D.

That ash cloud better not head our way when I am flying....seriously.

Advertisement