Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Anyone recommend good travel sites to book my flights... Hoping to go in September, before the fares creep up any more :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 loolaa

hi everyone, i'm waiting on my student visa which should arrive mid-late June, and i hope to travel over on the 30th of June..
    I got an email from usit telling me i have a deadline of May 15th to submit my flight and insurance details to them (i insisted that I'd book my own flights when i originally paid for my visa) I know they are blatantly trying to pressurise me into booking flights with them which is really frustrating.

i intend on going for 12 months, but will be coming home for 10 days at christmas, so i'm booking a return flight to come back in december. All flights in winter seem to be indirect, I'm wondering if there are any airports i should aim to travel through, or avoid? I've heard heathrow is a pain to get through?

Also i'm going to be working on st.clair avenue east, could anyone recommend a good area to live nearby?

Thanks in advance, sorry about the long post..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭RayCarley

Hey,

Just downloaded my visa paperwork tonight!!!!!!!! (Bit poo looking though, one for NZ was at least a holographic sticker in your passport)

Also got out of paying that "admin" fee. Eh hello paid 399E already, but sure that was to post, phone and e-mail. Hmmmm would 399 really cover it?????;)

Got great deals on the flights. Booked way back in Jan and got the BA sale tickets for 430 inc tax etc (return) and then insurance for 239. So the whole kit and kaboodle for 1068E so I am a pretty happy camper.

Notice given to work etc, so the only thing left is to head away:D.

That ash cloud better not head our way when I am flying....seriously.

How exactly did you manage to get out of that fee? Just bitch about it enough to USIT?

I think you get the proper Visa in your passport when you actually get into Canada, all USIT give you is a letter saying the Canadians have your details.

And yeah I managed to get flights on the last day of that BA sale, so they were like €460. Pretty happy about that. As for people still looking for flights, I'd look around:
    ebookers.com
    skyscanner.ie
    air canada
    travel supermarket
    etc.
    I'd say you'd be lucky to get cheap flights this close to the summer, but there's no harm in trying!

I agree with you on the ash cloud... I'm heading out the end of May, I'm just hoping it will be long gone by then... unless of course that other volcano erupts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

crushproof wrote: »
    Jeez, looks like I'll have to work on my NHL lingo if I'm gonna fit in! I've been in touch with a couple of people over there and it seems ok, one hostel guy has been sound and said he'd make enquires regarding jobs! You got any connections over there?

Me too, I'll have to brush up on the finer points of the game.....and my swearing :p but NHL is a good night out. Went to a Boston Bruins/New Jersey Devils game back in October and had a great time.

Pretty sound of the hostel guy to keep an eye out for ya. Was that the HI hostel? It seems to be the only one in Calgary. I think there is another hostel opening up in Calgary later this month. My friend's gf spent a few months in Calgary in 2008 and was able to pick up work. Unfortunately I don't have any contacts in Calgary but my Dad has cousins in Edmonton. I've never met them but I'm sure my mum will tell them of my impending arrival in Alberta.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Captain Pillowcase

Hey,
    Yeah your right I played hard ball with them. Nice for 3 emails and then totally let rip. No reply for days and then literally today told nah its all right you don't have to pay!!! Sweet:D
    Sorry but i coughed up enough at the start and have they ever pointed out to anyone at the start when you are trying to get in before all the spots are gone that you have to pay for "admin" fees? Do they point it out when they mail you? No I think not. I mean come on. Do the maths. How ever many people by say 400E. Take out what the visa costs, roughly 100E now mulitply that. Take out the postage fees, phone calls (on a business package too) and then the all expensive e-mails? Got a figure? Yeah huge. And then they want 50E on top to manually put in a few flight and insurance details.
    Now here is a company that fits into the Rip Off Republic image. I know they provide the service of checking out all your forms and your CV but come on. I barely have 2 copper coins to rub together with everything (aka "levies" read new tax) spare a thought.
    Anyway my friend and I searched the internet and she found some great sites. We were going to do the whole hostel thing (uuggghhh) but we now have a fab basement apartment with alarm our own kitchen washer/dryer alarm wifi and plasma etc for not too much more than the hostel price. Serious if there are a few of you going totally check them out.

www.airbnb.com
    www.vrbo.com
    You will have to create an account profile with them to book but it is really worth it.
    Anyway, here's hoping we all have a great time over there. I get told lots that loads of people are really jealous that they are not going or that they can't go. Remember life is what you make of the crap you stand in along the way!!!!!!:D
    Sorry about the USIT rant but they really annoyed me. I know that at the end of the phone or computer is someone just trying to earn a wage and just pulling the company line but still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I always use kayak.com or expedia.com. Personally I think you're better off flying through Heathrow. It is, hands down, the one airport I hate flying through however, it's such a busy airport that I find usually the flights are cheaper and there's more availability going from there instead of Dublin or Shannon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I know they provide the service of checking out all your forms and your CV but come on.

Anyone know why we need to send our cv's to usit? On the visa application forms it said the name and address of my employer was c/o usit, Dublin and my prospective employer in Canada was c/o Swap Hosting Centre in Toronto. Are you technically actually working for Swap while you are in Canada?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

They're probably the company sponsoring your visa, even though you don't "need a sponsor" for the visa, some company has to be liable for you in that country, USIT just takes care of the paperwork and interviews and such on this end. By the sounds of it, Swap Hosting Centre are sponsoring you to work for a Canadian organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CanadaSolo

Anyone travelling solo to Vancouver mid August? Would be cool to know other peoples plans!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CanadaSolo

Hi!

Going to Vancouver mid- August hopefully for a year. Would be cool to hear from anyone else planning the same thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

Hey everyone,

Regarding flights, i tried cheap flights.ie and got a single way to Van for 410, doesnt seem bad to me, but is there cheaper out there? Im a serious noobie for booking long haul flights.

Also anyone know of the sponsorship process im hoping to find a career job and then once the year is up hopefully get them to sponsor me, if the sponsored visa is really expensive then companies wouldn't be too happy hiring a foreigner right?

Last thing, Ive also been trying to find where to get jobs for the ski season up it Whistler or wherever anyone know of where to start looking?

Reading peoples posts about there being loads of jobs sounds great and is getting me excited about it, hopefully I can nab one of em this place here has got me all depressed not being able to get one.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 22,165 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Hey,

Just downloaded my visa paperwork tonight!!!!!!!! (Bit poo looking though, one for NZ was at least a holographic sticker in your passport)

Also got out of paying that "admin" fee. Eh hello paid 399E already, but sure that was to post, phone and e-mail. Hmmmm would 399 really cover it?????;)

Got great deals on the flights. Booked way back in Jan and got the BA sale tickets for 430 inc tax etc (return) and then insurance for 239. So the whole kit and kaboodle for 1068E so I am a pretty happy camper.

Notice given to work etc, so the only thing left is to head away:D.

That ash cloud better not head our way when I am flying....seriously.

Thats just a letter that you have to give to customs when you land in Canada. You then get your work permit on your passport

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Captain Pillowcase

Ah yeah that I know. I was just saying that for the NZ one at least you had something more already in your passport before you landed. I know that the really FINAL decision is made by the nice folks at the immigration desk in the city you land in. Here's hoping that when we all get there they like the look of the Irish eh? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

CanadaSolo wrote: »
    Anyone travelling solo to Vancouver mid August? Would be cool to know other peoples plans!!

I'm flying to Vancouver on August 17th. Still haven't made up my mind if I'm sticking to Vancouver/Whistler or going to Banff or Calgary yet.

Heading solo too so it'd be good to hear if more boardsies are about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tellastory

Hi there
    I moved to Vancouver 2 years ago originally with the USIT visa. I recently set up a blog with information on moving here like the different neighborhoods, cost of living, job information, travel info, and some other bits and pieces. Its a pretty new site, and more info will be added.
    Happy to help with any questions.
    Anna

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tellastory

link to blog would be helpful

http://youremovingtovancouver.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Kod-box

Nice one Anna, will check that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 DerHere

People I contacted the canadian embassy and the visa authority in canada DO NOT pay usit any fees for booking your flights elsewhere. Both parties couldnt believe usit were extorting people for these fees and assured me they would be lifted. You can book flights and insurance with whoever you want USIT have no right to make you book with them or charge for booking with them! And believe me you can get both for a fraction of the price USIT charge. All USIT need is confirmation of your flight date and arrival city to pass on to the Canadians and nothing more. USIT have tried or have coerced money out of every person I know on this programme with misleading information and extra charges so be sceptical with all dealings with them. Their call centre staff clearly work on commission because have heard several different stories from different people about false info being told to get people to put down deposits on flights and insurance. Just wanted to give people th heads up, USIT are using the programme and the very sneaky set-up they have is place to sell their grossly overpriced flights and insurance.

People I contacted the canadian embassy and the visa authority in canada DO NOT pay usit any fees for booking your flights elsewhere. Both parties couldnt believe usit were extorting people for these fees and assured me they would be lifted. You can book flights and insurance with whoever you want USIT have no right to make you book with them or charge for booking with them! And believe me you can get both for a fraction of the price USIT charge. All USIT need is confirmation of your flight date and arrival city to pass on to the Canadians and nothing more. USIT have tried or have coerced money out of every person I know on this programme with misleading information and extra charges so be sceptical with all dealings with them. Their call centre staff clearly work on commission because have heard several different stories from different people about false info being told to get people to put down deposits on flights and insurance. Just wanted to give people th heads up, USIT are using the programme and the very sneaky set-up they have is place to sell their grossly overpriced flights and insurance.

USIT are getting such bad publicity its unreal! They got me and my friends on the extra 100e saying it was necessary and had to be paid. Pity they have the monopoly on the visa's at least someone is doing well out of this recession.

• Advertisement

Look for the €100 fee back. I contacted SWAP and the Canadian high authority and was assured by them, and today by USIT themselves,
    that this fee is gone. How easily it disappeared for such a ''necessary
    fee''! Why should you pay it if people don't have to now?

I am going to have to get a french language book as i land in Montreal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Wiggles~

Hey guys, i just filled out the registration for the student visa with USIT there. Now i assumed i'd be put on the waiting list, since my friends who applied months ago are still on it. But once i completed the registration i got a message saying that i could be phoned on the next working day to sort out my flights and visa. Does this mean i've got straight through somehow? The problem is i won't be able to afford my flights and visa until late August probably, but i only have 40 days to book these until my place is given to someone else, right? (This is the reason i was waiting so late to register, i was hoping to get accepted around the end of the summer)

You must pay for the visa which is about 409? or 509 depending what they decide to ask you. But you DONT have to book your flights then and there, not even before the 40 days. You can book flights with whoever you like, and I think it doesnt matter when you book them either?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭goldjogger

I am going to have to get a french language book as i land in Montreal :)

hey i landed in montreal on tuesday n only had a few basic words of french, if you cant speak french dont worry, i got a french phrasebook and didnt look at it, once u can say hello, thank you, goodbye, can u speak english and a few more simple phrases u'll be grand, most ppl speak both languages but obviously it nice 2 greet them in french first, if ur plannin on stayin in montreal 4 d yr d swap centre wil give u a list of french language courses that dey recommend and it cost around 50 dollars for the course. its a beautiful city, i'm aftr moving on 2 quebec now but if u have any questions abt montreal feel free 2 ask,

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sgdowney

crushproof wrote: »
    Anybody gotten away with avoiding the stupid €50 "admin" fee?
    Told them I'm gonna book my own flights, but of course USIT are demanding the €50!

Also, anyone thinking of Calgary? I'll be heading over on my lonesome gimme a shout. Chap I was talking to says it's pretty easy to pick up a job there within the first week or so. Plus it seems cheaper then Vancouver.

Just to let people know this €50 admin fee for passing on your flight details to SWAP in Canada has been cancelled. A friend of mine was onto their course director in SWAP and they pressurised USIT into dropping this fee. I don't know if people who have already paid can get a refund but going forward people should not have to pay it.

This is a piece of correspondance from a SWAP's course representative.
    Good news... Usit has dropped the 50 Euro fee. A large number of
    applicants have opted to organize their own flights so Usit does not
    automatically have the information on arrival dates. This is
    information that we in Canada must have as there are a few thousand
    Irish participants coming to us and we need to know when so as to
    better marshall our resources. So although there will be no further
    outlay of funds on your part, you will have to provide Usit with your
    arrival information so they can pass that on to us. All we need to
    know is which city in Canada and which date.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭shipwreck

Hey Guys,

usit told me work doc was available for download, but where do you download it. i logged into my account in the canada section of the USIT site and it says at the bottom

''Current Status
    Work Auth Doc Printed - Your Work Authorisation Document has been issued
    Important Forms''

Is there meant to be a link or something!!??

Thanks

shipwreck wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

usit told me work doc was available for download, but where do you download it. i logged into my account in the canada section of the USIT site and it says at the bottom

''Current Status
    Work Auth Doc Printed - Your Work Authorisation Document has been issued
    Important Forms''

Is there meant to be a link or something!!??

Thanks

Is there a button that allows you to download the forms?

If not give it a couple of hours. They told me mines was available to print but it took a couple of hours for the site to update

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭chargerman

HeyYa it should have a link just above it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭chargerman

Mr.S wrote: »
    Whats the deal with proving you have enough funds, are they strict on it?

Do i have to show an actual bank statement with my balance?
    I came over to Toronto 2 weeks ago so if you need to know anything or if you are coming here send me a PM and I will give you my email.

No when your on the usit visa it is actually very straight forward. When you enter Canada you have to go through immergration. The queues are massive. If you have your work visa prited off, you are taken out of the queue and brought to a seperate area. They really only ask for your passport. They staple the one year visa into that. They didnt ask me how much money I had or where I was staying. And from talking to others here they were all processed the same way. I did have a bank of ireland statement though but they never looked for it.

Advertisement