Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

Hey, heading to Vancouver in the morning. The flight is at 10.35 to Chicago, anyone know what time I need to check in at in Dublin airport. Is it 2 or 3 hours beforehand? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

Gingy wrote: »
    Hey, heading to Vancouver in the morning. The flight is at 10.35 to Chicago, anyone know what time I need to check in at in Dublin airport. Is it 2 or 3 hours beforehand? Thanks

It should be three hours.
    Hope you don't mind rain as that's what the weather is like at the moment, nice and stormy.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

colin29 wrote: »
    It should be three hours.
    Hope you don't mind rain as that's what the weather is like at the moment, nice and stormy.

You're leaving for the rain on what will be the hottest weekend of the year so far, it looks like (more or less anyway I think!) Who cares though, considering it won't last and Vancouver gets actual summers! :)

A timely article for you on having a good flight tomorrow through the Facebook link ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 jasonf

hey all!!
    Alls moving on and wont be long till were boarding our planes , ill be in vancouver at the end of june, just wondering does anyone no of a clean, safe hostel not mad expensive in van,close to the city, any good recommendations will be great!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Dioza

Jeanie_Mac wrote: »

In the meantime I'm thinking I might just do barwork or something if I can get it - so now I have to do my safe serve (?) course online so that I can work in a pub.

Anybody have any info on this "safe serve"?

Is it like the safe pass we have at home for building sites? I had a quick google but not sure exactly what it is i'm looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Well I certainly have an open mind and intending on having a ball :D
    Alot of people here at home keep going on about jobs to me ect. but Im willing to do more or less anything, Its the experience Im going for.

Im travelling with a friend but hope to make lots more in Vancouver :)

People here are really friendly, especially when they hear the foreign accent! So you'll have no trouble making heaps of new friends.
    jasonf wrote: »
    hey all!!
    Alls moving on and wont be long till were boarding our planes , ill be in vancouver at the end of june, just wondering does anyone no of a clean, safe hostel not mad expensive in van,close to the city, any good recommendations will be great!!

I stayed in the HI Hostel on Granville Street and in the Samesun Hostel, which are across the street from each other, both were pretty good (and very central). Samesun has a grand little bar in it, and is a bit of a party hostel. Found the HI to be kinda quiet.

There is also another HI Hostel in the West End, which I've heard is a clean, laid back place. And there is the Cambie Hostel too, but I've heard mixed things about it. Hope that helps!
    Dioza wrote: »
    Anybody have any info on this "safe serve"?

Is it like the safe pass we have at home for building sites? I had a quick google but not sure exactly what it is i'm looking for.

Its called the "Serving It Right" certificate, you need it to work in pubs/restaurants/liquor stores. More info about it here: http://www.servingitright.com/

Edit: On second thoughts Dioza, this only applies in British Columbia, so its what you need if you're coming to Vancouver. Don't know what its like in Toronto and other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Mr.S wrote: »
    Anyone have any tips for house hunting in Vancouver? myself and 3 friends are heading over next week untill August and need a flat/house to stay in.

Have looked on craigslist but everything is either super expensive, or to small (1/2bed)

PM me if you can help, or reply here:)

Craigslist is pretty much the only way to go, unfortunately. What parts of town are you looking to rent in? East Vancouver is probably the most reasonably priced area for housing, and its pretty nice (in places)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dellboyot

Hi, I'm an electrician and just looking to see would Canada be an option for work, Ive en-quired about getting a visa but getting quoted up to 4000euro for one i wouldn't mind going that route but its a lot of money:(, and I'm open to suggestions if any one has any ideas:confused:!! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Kod-box

visas are €400 not €4000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Dioza

4k sounds like an awful lot of money. What kind of visa is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

Hey, arrived in Vancouver yesterday, pretty sweet so far, me and 2 of my mates are staying in a mates appartment. We're looking around for a place to stay, we're staying beside Stanley Park at moment, and went around Kits and UBC today, just wondering what are the main areas where Irish people and/or young people live around town, i.e. where will the craic be? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 37 karlcox2

Chet Zar wrote: »
    Hi Karl,

The forum on the site linked in my sig (and the Facebook page) might be of interest to you if you want to have a browse - forum could be a good way of building up those contacts for you. Planning a move in the future myself - sounds like an amazing city. Think doing it alone is the only way myself!

Good luck.

Thanks alot for the encouragement, your right why go places on someone elses terms more of an adventure going on your own anyway.

would you mind PMing me the link as theres nothing in your signiture

• Registered Users Posts: 37 karlcox2

Mr.S wrote: »
    Anyone have any tips for house hunting in Vancouver? myself and 3 friends are heading over next week untill August and need a flat/house to stay in.

Have looked on craigslist but everything is either super expensive, or to small (1/2bed)

PM me if you can help, or reply here:)

Found this site while searching for gumtree alternative.

its laid out better than craigslist and easier to find exactly what you want.

http://vancouver.kijiji.ca/

karlcox2 wrote: »
    Thanks alot for the encouragement, your right why go places on someone elses terms more of an adventure going on your own anyway.

would you mind PMing me the link as theres nothing in your signiture

Hi Karl,

No worries. The site is paddysaway.com, should be in my sig though...? Also on Facebook so feel free to 'like' it, as they say.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 40 lilmissbadass

hey guys just wondering how long does it take for usit to approve your documents befor they send them off to the canadian high commission. me and my boyfriend brought our documents in to them on tuesday but the next day i got an email saying i had left something out and could i email them the missing information, which i did and they replied with this email on friday.

Thank you for getting back to us. We have added those details to your application and will continue to process it over the coming days. You can track the status of your application through the tracking section of the website (where you downloaded your forms from). Please note that from this point, your application will be in process for a further 6 to 8 weeks minimum

my boyfriend had his application approved straight away and now his status is sent to sponsor. so now im wondering if it will take usit 6 to 8 weeks to process my application before its approved by them or if they mean 6 to 8 weeks for the whole process. any iformation or insight into this will be helpfull. im due to pay my deposit on my flights today and dont want to be booking flights if we have to change them due to this. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I had an error on my forms as well, emailed them the correction and my Visa has been sent to the sponsor. So I think the 6-8 weeks is for USIT to hear back from SWAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 lilmissbadass

I had an error on my forms as well, emailed them the correction and my Visa has been sent to the sponsor. So I think the 6-8 weeks is for USIT to hear back from SWAP.

how long did it take for you status to say sent to sponsor (or even approved) after you gave them the correct details? coz mine is still saying recieved. it said recieved when i first handed them in and then it said pending while they where waiting for my correct details and now its back to recieved since friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Let me see...

I sent the forms in on a thursday. They emailed me friday evening to tell me about the mistakes, I replied the same day. Received an email on the monday telling me that the details were ammended. Think it was sent to sponsor on the wednesday, thursday at the latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

Hi Karl,

No worries. The site is paddysaway.com, should be in my sig though...? Also on Facebook so feel free to 'like' it, as they say.

Cheers

Think sigs are turned off automatically when you register so that could be the problem. Great website, helped me with a lot of my questions thanks very much! Off to Vancouver on tuesday, can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,165 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Not a huge issue generally speaking to not have much/any French, but it's really appreciated by the locals when you do make an effort...you'll prob pick it up a little when you get there too!

I am going to be staying with some locals when i land until i find my own place. I could also have a job lined up in a whare house :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Sheebs

So here's my recent predicament :p (pretty much what I've sent to USIT)

I am currently a Masters student in UL but will not be in UL in the near future for them to stamp my form as proof that I am a student there. However I did graduate from DCU only last November.

My question is, can I send a copy of my degree from DCU as proof of being a student in the last 12 months (which people who are not currently students but have been in the last 12months need to do) or will I need to send the form to UL to be stamped as this is where I am most recently a student?

My 40day deadline is close if not already passed and I am concerned that if I need to receive a stamp from UL that it may take a considerable amount of time for them to receive the form, stamp it and send it back to me and think it would be simpler, if possible, to use my DCU degree as it was completed less than 12 months ago.

Anyone shed any light on what I need to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Sheebs wrote: »
    So here's my recent predicament :p (pretty much what I've sent to USIT)

I am currently a Masters student in UL but will not be in UL in the near future for them to stamp my form as proof that I am a student there. However I did graduate from DCU only last November.

My question is, can I send a copy of my degree from DCU as proof of being a student in the last 12 months (which people who are not currently students but have been in the last 12months need to do) or will I need to send the form to UL to be stamped as this is where I am most recently a student?

My 40day deadline is close if not already passed and I am concerned that if I need to receive a stamp from UL that it may take a considerable amount of time for them to receive the form, stamp it and send it back to me and think it would be simpler, if possible, to use my DCU degree as it was completed less than 12 months ago.

Anyone shed any light on what I need to do?

If its been less than 12 months since you finished in DCU and its easier for you then I'd say go with DCU. I finished my masters last September and applied for the visa in January but I didn't have to show usit a copy of any degree certificate. I could have failed my masters for all they know. If you give usit a quick ring in the morning they could probably tell you for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

I'm getting awfully confused now! Firstly I was mad for Vancouver or Calgary but now I've read loads about the cost of living in Vancouver and that the pay isn't great in comparision to Toronto!
    And then with Calgary I doubt I'd meet many others, doesn't seem to be as many people going there. Don't wanna turn up and be a job seeking loner for the first few weeks! Aghhh!
    Kinda considering now to to go Toronto instead, even the flights are sooo much cheaper to fly there. Anyone got any info on the jobs scene in Toronto. Not looking for any career jobs, just jobs in retail or anything like that. Cheers!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭iliketeaandcake

Heading to Vancouver in August on the student work programme for a year, hoping to get work in Whistler or someplace for sept I hear thats when they start recruiting? Am going over all alone, don't know anybody there, don't know anything about the place really.. can't wait for the adventure! sure twill be grand! I have had a look at a few recruitment websites and stuff.. will plan properly a couple of weeks before take off. Does anybody know how the USIT orientation works or what they do? am still waiting for my visa but I dont think there's any problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ugabuga

iliketeaandcake, I'm heading over on my ownio in September. You mentioned you're still waiting for you visa - do you know if there is a delay at USIT as I have been waiting approx. 15 weeks for mine?!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Sheebs

If its been less than 12 months since you finished in DCU and its easier for you then I'd say go with DCU. I finished my masters last September and applied for the visa in January but I didn't have to show usit a copy of any degree certificate. I could have failed my masters for all they know. If you give usit a quick ring in the morning they could probably tell you for sure.

USIT rang me today to say that i HAVE to get my application stamped by UL and that a copy of my DCU degree will not do. Also informed me that I missed my 40 day deadline (due to a delay receiving my police certificate) and have a lovely €100 fine to pay as a result :mad: My own fault for not being prepared but jesus isn't that fine abit extreme :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jmfer

Hey, I'm heading to toronto in september when my oz visa expires, does anybody know if you can extend this canadian visa like the oz 2nd year visa? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭iliketeaandcake

ugabuga wrote: »
    iliketeaandcake, I'm heading over on my ownio in September. You mentioned you're still waiting for you visa - do you know if there is a delay at USIT as I have been waiting approx. 15 weeks for mine?!
    they say it should only take 6-8 weeks, 15 wks is an awful long time! I would get on the phone to them or send an email! It could possibly be a backlog on the Canadian commissioners part? I only sent in my application this week so hopefully it wont take longer than the 8 weeks.. I have my flights booked for mid august!! Booked through USIT though so they can be changed at any time. Although the visa hasn't been processed yet I have already paid about a third of the flights and visa fees.. like I dont even know if the application will be successful but usit said there should be no problem..this surprises me because from reading some of the posts here people are on waiting lists and not sure if their app. will be successful. I think usit return your money if you are refused a visa.. hopefully

jmfer wrote: »
    Hey, I'm heading to toronto in september when my oz visa expires, does anybody know if you can extend this canadian visa like the oz 2nd year visa? :)

You can't extend it like the Oz visa no - you'd need to be sponsored by a Canadian employer...or perhaps marry a Canadian :) You can check out full visa/immigration rules at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I like the UBC area and have stayed on campus during summers, but I am a student and like that scene. Public transport from UBC to Granville is convenient, so you can do the party street, yet live away from it when you like.

Advertisement