Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Suzywuzy

Arrived in Edmonton, myself and the boyfriend, and things are going pretty smoothly so far. Have our SIN sorted and bank accounts opened on first day. Not bad. Now the job search begins ...

Anyone on the same programme in Edmonton ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Moondust

Hi all.

there is a Expo in the RDS this weekend for Canada & Aus from 11am-5pm ....€10.00 - Do you think it would be worth going??? Since there are going to be recrutment agencies there, i was thinking of doing my CV up canadian style and try get some feed back -maybe even give it to them so i'm on their books. I've heard that the last one that was held was not good - as there were no jobs going at it - that it was just a money gimmic - what you think???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 T-Wizzlle

any irish living in toronto? where good to live? leavin Van 2moro!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 emigr8te

heya moondust!

ya think I might pop along to the expo. There's two Canada-related talks on anyways. Good idea with the CV thing, think I'll do that too. Even if its useless it might give me a kick up the arse to get organised about going!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 icer79

heading vancouver just after christmas on 1yr u35 visa. got ins through getcover.com which was way cheaper than what usit quoted.

im dave... hi !

• Advertisement

Hi Dave - I'm going end of dec too - cannot wait - so did usit accept the insurance? they can be very picky.
    If you’re like me and you were on the waiting list, you have to have your flights booked by Oct 16th regardless even if you dont know if you have been accepted by the Canadian Gov - Absolute joke!
    They say they have flexible flights, which are free to change, but after reading some of the earlier posts - this is all lies!! can anyone confirm???

the backpacker / longstay policy with getcover.com will cover all the minimum requirements from usit for ins... you can add on for winter sports and missed flights etc...

i booked flights last week and they said it was €50 to change, i think? got the documents in the post today with info booklet on jobs for olympics etc...

good call on the rds expo.. will check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

Hi all, just landed in Vancouver yesterday! Looking forward to the next year. Am undecided whether to stay here or move on up to Whistler/Banff for the winter but feel free to PM me if interested in house sharing etc.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sammucy

Hey,

I'm headin to Vancouver at the end of my November with my boyfriend. I have been following all the North America/Canada threads for the past few months but this is my first time to post anything!!!

We havent booked our flights yet as we are having such a tough time getting a straight answer from Usit. We have received really good quotes from British Airways and Getcover for flights and insurance(almost €500 less than usit) but are nervous to book incase Usit dont accept. They seem to make out that there is loads to it. Has anybody Managed to book flights and insurance and get the ok from Usit yet???

Also we are looking to meet up and get a house share going when we get to Vancouver??

So excited to get there!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭mdu

hey anyone in toronto at the moment and want to meet up for a coffee / pint during the day please pm me. this job hunt lark is a pain in the bum and i need a break!!

Mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 newbie7

Hi all, just landed in Vancouver yesterday! Looking forward to the next year. Am undecided whether to stay here or move on up to Whistler/Banff for the winter but feel free to PM me if interested in house sharing etc.:)

If your here for a year and into your skiing/boarding/partying, i'd persuade you to check out the ski resorts. Whistler/Vancouver are going to be mayhem here during the olympics. Remember with Banff you still have a 20 -40 min drive to the mountain. You should check out Fernie, Big White, Revolstoke or Sunpeaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 emigr8te

Hey,

In answer to that question about flights - I booked mine with USIT and its free to change them up until you actually pay for them in full (needs to be done 2 wks before you fly) but after that its 50 to change them. Once you get over there its 125 to change your return flight which is a complete joke!

I'm heading out in a month with my friend (a 3rd is on the waiting list). We'd defo be up for a houseshare in Kits. Rent is pretty high there but think it's the place to be!

Christine

• Registered Users Posts: 16 black and white

Got my documents from USIT there last week so all set to go in 2 weeks (on my own). Flying into Vancouver but going to head straight up to Whistler. So, is there anyone planning on going to Whistler for the winter season that would be interested in looking for a place together. Really looking forward to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Deadalus

Hi all,

I'm gonna try and keep contributing to this tread as I'm planning on moving to Canada with my better half on the under 35 visa next March. Does anyone know when the next round of visas will be available to purchase from USIT? Also my brother is living over there and is married to a Canadian so I'm planning on spending some time with them until we get settled. Considering I will be spending alot of the time living rent free in Canada can anyone suggest how much cash we would need for around 6 months? Maybe 2 months rent free in total. I lived in China for a year before also so do I def need to get a chinese police clearance before I can get my Visa?

Cheers

Niall

Hi all,

Where would you recommend going to? Vancouver or Toronto?
    Originally my plan was Vancouver but I’m a bit hesitant now as I’d imagine that the majority of ppl are going to go there for the Olympics looking for work. I see ppl are already having problems getting accommodation, do you think it will be worse in December when i plan to travel there? Also with the Olympics being on, rent & living costs will probably rocket.
    Am i over-reacting or should I re-think it and go to Toronto.

Thanks in advance

hi Niall

you probably will need a police cert for china cos i spent a year in uk with work a few years ago and they made me get one from the police there

dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 malibu baby

Hey guys, anyone over in Vancouver/been there before, know how long it should take to find a nice 1 bed flat to rent? Am heading over at the end of November with my boyfriend and need to book short term accommodation for when we're searching for somewhere permanent, just not sure how long i should give for the search, 1 week? 2 weeks?? Any info appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 ultron

Hey,

in Vancouver it really doesn't take too long to find a place and i know it sounds a little odd but the best way is just to walk around the residential parts and look for vacancy signs outside the apartment buildings. (Should only take about a week to find somewhere) Just call the janitor/ super, whatever that guy is called, or call into his office in the building. Honestly you will pass about 10 signs on all the residential streets. The best place for this and what i consider the best place to live in Vancouver is the West End, not west vancouver thats a totally different place. Anyway the west end is really ideal as its close to shops, pubs, the beach (english bay), and stanley park. Its also a very safe and nice looking area to live in too. One bed apartments start at about $900 which is not too bad, it'll be basic but still pretty decent. When booking a hostel or wherever for your short term stay try one of the hostels on Granville Street as they're affordable and in a good location. Hope this helps. Also if you find out how to get a job in Vancouver please let me know:). Not trying to scare you i've just been looking for a while without much success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭macca1983

ultron wrote: »
    Hey,

in Vancouver it really doesn't take too long to find a place and i know it sounds a little odd but the best way is just to walk around the residential parts and look for vacancy signs outside the apartment buildings. (Should only take about a week to find somewhere) Just call the janitor/ super, whatever that guy is called, or call into his office in the building. Honestly you will pass about 10 signs on all the residential streets. The best place for this and what i consider the best place to live in Vancouver is the West End, not west vancouver thats a totally different place. Anyway the west end is really ideal as its close to shops, pubs, the beach (english bay), and stanley park. Its also a very safe and nice looking area to live in too. One bed apartments start at about $900 which is not too bad, it'll be basic but still pretty decent. When booking a hostel or wherever for your short term stay try one of the hostels on Granville Street as they're affordable and in a good location. Hope this helps. Also if you find out how to get a job in Vancouver please let me know:). Not trying to scare you i've just been looking for a while without much success.

What area of work are you looking for? Have you being trying long?

Im looking at Canadian job websites, in particular Vancouver, and there seems to be sweet f*ck all work around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 ultron

Well originally i was looking for work in media, film/tv etc. because thats what i studied and have been working in for the last couple of years in ireland but i couldn't find much in that line so now im looking for anything really. I wouldn't mind some kind of office job temping or something like that to keep me going for a while there. Its pretty frustrating just looking online, i think you really need to be there so im gonna head out myself soon. I've been out visiting people before so i know the place but i need to find an apartment next.
    Thinking of just getting flights in the next two weeks and heading out.

By the way everyone USIT dont care what flights you get nor does the canadian government so book anything you want. Also the insurance thing is a scam, the canadian govt dont give a **** if you have insurance or not, its pretty much up to you, usit are just being bastards.
    Also i think everyone who has been forced into paying usit 50e to read their personal insurance policy should write to the ombudsman or something. Its pure extortion and should be stopped.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Ultron.

I'd heard the West End was a nice spot, I'd love to get a place there, being so close to the park/beach etc. Will stay near there for my search so. Have been checking out Craigslist as I read somewhere that was their equivalent of Daft, its a shame the majority of them are unfurnished though.

Am kinda stressing about the job situation myself, I'm gonna start looking as soon as I get over there. I've got 2 friends in Vancouver in the same field as yourself and they havn't managed to find jobs in that area yet but they did find retail/office work within 2 weeks of looking for something to keep them going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Suzywuzy

Does anyone know if, when you've not done a medical, and it states on your visa that you're not in title to work in healthcare/childcare fields, does that include administration work in those areas, or does it just apply to direct areas of work, such as nursing/teaching, etc???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

im in kitsilano at the moment in vancouver, lovely area. jsut got a place for a month while looking for longer accom and a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

Yeah, just moving out of Kits myself, been here three months now. Moving down to SoMa (South Main), bit cheaper and more nightlife down that way.
    One thing about here I find is it can be a pain in the arse to find places that dont require either a year lease, or credit/reference checks.
    Such is life though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 jackelle

Move out to Vancouver in August and picked up a job and accomodation very easily.

Just to say don't knock west van, it's 15 minutes bus downtown or a 30 min bike rike, you've got ambleside beach, west van rec centre, all the shops and great places to eat on your doorstep.

Commercial Drive is good for vintage shopping and good places for coffee/food.

Kits is another great place if you like being near the beach as is English Bay where you also have Stanley Park on your doorstep.

Definitely worth coming out here, personally very glad I made the decision.

For housing craigslist and walking around the area you want to live in is definitely your best bet.

Re jobs, in British Columbia you have to chase people up with e-mails and phone calls as they are seriously chilled out here. I work in a law firm downtown the people spend half the day just hanging out getting coffee and doing hockey pools, a big change from Dublin!

Recruitment agencies are good to go to if you're looking for proper jobs btw.

Going to vancouver with my friend with the intention of going on to whistler in late December. PM me if you fancy meeting up to discuss your trip before we go.
    e.g accomm, work, flighs , insurance etc.

Some good tips there, thanks Jackelle. I was thinking West End cos of the park/beach and closeness to Downtown but if the transport system is reliable it'd be great to get some place nicer for less money a little further out. I'm gonna try and get a "proper" job just so I can work at something relevant to what I've been doing so far rather than shop work but if it comes to it obviously I'll take whatever pays the bills.

I read somewhere online that if you've been working legally in Canada in a permanent job for 12 months you can apply for a full Visa, anybody know anyone who got to stay on after the USIT Visa expires?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

I was thinking West End cos of the park/beach and closeness to Downtown
    Bear in mind that it is gonna be cold and very very wet soon until April!!

I read somewhere online that if you've been working legally in Canada in a permanent job for 12 months you can apply for a full Visa, anybody know anyone who got to stay on after the USIT Visa expires?

If you get a permanent job (ie not contract) then you can apply for the PnP (Provincial Nominee) at any stage in your 12 months, but your employer is required to submit a written job offer that also requires an LMO (government assessment of the jobs market). If your application is successful you will get a new, completely separate visa to get you through the time it takes to process your PnP application.

Best way to get all the paperwork through first time is to go to an immigration lawyer, they will charge about CA$3,000 for the whole process

Edit: I have 2 cousins who came over about 3 years ago on USIT visas, they are finally getting their applications processed, but have been through the hoops in terms of status for a good while - they are tradesmen so basically working on the grey to get by while applications went in etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 minnie726

Hey - I'm waiting on my visa to be issued shortly and will be travelling in December - i'm travelling on my own but would luv to meet up with any Irish that are heading over later this year...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 louise.m

Hey,
    I'm graduating next year and intend on getting this under 35 visa but does anyone know if it's possible to extend it towards the end of the year and get another one?
    I think a year will fly and don't plan on coming back here if I can help it, at least for a few years.
    I've been looking up other visas for Canada but there are so many different terms and I don't think I'd be eligible.
    Any info would be appreciated, thanks gang.

Advertisement