Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 lilmissbadass

Let me see...

I sent the forms in on a thursday. They emailed me friday evening to tell me about the mistakes, I replied the same day. Received an email on the monday telling me that the details were ammended. Think it was sent to sponsor on the wednesday, thursday at the latest.

thanks zapp rang them up earlier in the week and got it all sorted out had it approved there and then on the phone and it is now sent to sponser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Canada2009

Just wondering if anyone has had same issue as me, I ve applied for the u35 programme it's all approved and Usit have it now. They want me to book flights and insurance within the next 7 days I can't book flights yet but will do in the next couple of months. What happens if I don't book before the next 7 days whAt will Usit do? Has anyone had the same problems as this. Ps I don't want to book with Usit way too expensive!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Sheebs wrote: »
    USIT rang me today to say that i HAVE to get my application stamped by UL and that a copy of my DCU degree will not do. Also informed me that I missed my 40 day deadline (due to a delay receiving my police certificate) and have a lovely €100 fine to pay as a result :mad: My own fault for not being prepared but jesus isn't that fine abit extreme :(

Sorry to hear that Sheebs, €100 is steep when you are saving to go away. If they are being that strict on you I have no idea how I got away without showing my certificate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Good luck Mr.S, have a great time mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ugabuga

they say it should only take 6-8 weeks, 15 wks is an awful long time! I would get on the phone to them or send an email! It could possibly be a backlog on the Canadian commissioners part? I only sent in my application this week so hopefully it wont take longer than the 8 weeks.. I have my flights booked for mid august!! Booked through USIT though so they can be changed at any time. Although the visa hasn't been processed yet I have already paid about a third of the flights and visa fees.. like I dont even know if the application will be successful but usit said there should be no problem..this surprises me because from reading some of the posts here people are on waiting lists and not sure if their app. will be successful. I think usit return your money if you are refused a visa.. hopefully

I know yeah! I've been on at them for weeks but they've been useless. They said they would let me know when they know something. I saw this on the USIT website though "This week alone we've had over 20 participants needing to change their dates due to their Work Authorisation documents not returning on time" so was thinking maybe there is a backlog. I don't think there's any reason I should get refused as I've gotten WHVs before, so I'm hoping this is the case! I've booked flights as well, not through USIT but I can change them if needs be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭jimmypitt

Anyone know how you get your social security number when you get over there?

jimmypitt wrote: »
    Anyone know how you get your social security number when you get over there?

if you are going to either toronto, vancouver or montreal you can attened the swap orientation and get it there. the swap orientation is basically a swap office in each of these three citys and they hold the orientation there once a week. if you are not flying into any of these citys then you can contact swap once you have set your self up and have a postal address and they will post your sin number to that address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

what the hell is the story with this under 35 visa? why are people going through usit. is that the only way you can get the visa. can you not just apply directly to the embassy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

No, you have to go through USIT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

That is a ****ing disgrace. so id have to pay 400 quid just for a visa. bloody cowboys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 candy chaos

Just want to encourage people to get their fifty quid admin fee refunded from USIT. We booked our own flights / insurance in early March and then I read here (thanks dudes!) that USIT are not allowed to charge us for booking our own stuff. I emailed them a week ago and just had the cash refunded to my card.
    After paying fee after fee it's nice to get something back so it's worth doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I arrived in Atlanta, GA yesterday. I'm here for the three months on a J1 working in a university lab.

I'm 21 but I dont want to be carrying around my passport with me everywhere. How do I go about getting a State ID?

Also can someone recommend me a cell network that does some kind of a pay as you go (or something without a 2 year contract!) that suits for the 3 months. Ideally, I just need a SIM card.

Thanks guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭jimmypitt

Just want to encourage people to get their fifty quid admin fee refunded from USIT. We booked our own flights / insurance in early March and then I read here (thanks dudes!) that USIT are not allowed to charge us for booking our own stuff. I emailed them a week ago and just had the cash refunded to my card.
    After paying fee after fee it's nice to get something back so it's worth doing!

Could you copy and paste the EXACT email you sent them in a post here please? Or possibly PM it to me.

I'd like to get my 50 back too!!!

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

My visa status has changed to Work Auth doc printed.

Anyone know how long is left before I'll actually receive it?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Danteryu

I think when they say that, they'll put links to download it on that page once you've booked the flights, that's what happened to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

I just checked mine... says the same... woohooo :) Nearly there

Danteryu wrote: »
    I think when they say that, they'll put links to download it on that page once you've booked the flights, that's what happened to me.

I have flights provisionally booked with them, I'll be changing my departure date once me and my mate sort everything out though.

but at least now I know I definitely have the visa, I guess. (kept having nightmares that for some reason I was refused the visa!)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 gnilhsa

hello
    my name is ashling and myself and the boyfriend want to head to canada for a year, maybe to vancouver, we've only started looking into goin!

what is the easiest way to get a visa?? :),

was looking at go4less but the only jobs they are offering at the moment is at a ski resort, my boyfriend is a qualified forestry management and wants to presue a job in that area.

ryan air, i think, are doin cheap flights also to canada and is well worth a look!!

all the best!!

My visa status has changed to Work Auth doc printed.

Anyone know how long is left before I'll actually receive it?

how long did it take from the time you sent in your forms to the time your status was updated to "work auth doc printed"?

I sent my forms off on the 13th of May, so that's about 4 weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 dellboyot

There is a shortage of electricians in Canada at the moment so i decided to go on line, i got through to this agency that sorts out a visa that gives you full residency, it can take up-to 12months for it to go through. This agency is in killkenny and quoted me 4000euro for me and my wife. If i had 4000euro i wouldn't have to go to Canada for work!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

dellboyot wrote: »
    There is a shortage of electricians in Canada at the moment so i decided to go on line, i got through to this agency that sorts out a visa that gives you full residency, it can take up-to 12months for it to go through. This agency is in killkenny and quoted me 4000euro for me and my wife. If i had 4000euro i wouldn't have to go to Canada for work!!!

Those are usually scams, agencies can't promise visas. Also if you want to work as an electrician out here you will need to do the red seal exams to qualify. Check ou this website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 jasonf

gnilhsa wrote: »
    hello
    my name is ashling and myself and the boyfriend want to head to canada for a year, maybe to vancouver, we've only started looking into goin!

what is the easiest way to get a visa?? :),

was looking at go4less but the only jobs they are offering at the moment is at a ski resort, my boyfriend is a qualified forestry management and wants to presue a job in that area.

ryan air, i think, are doin cheap flights also to canada and is well worth a look!!

all the best!!

Hey Ashling
    If your planning on going for the year well the 1 year working holiday visa is the one, its what we all on here are after getting . http://canada.usit.ie/

Im going to vancouver my self I had tried looking for jobs on line and emailing people with no luck so it ill be a case of getting there and looking like mad and knocking on doors.

I got my flights for E780 return with www.ebookers.ie and were the cheapest at the time.and got my travel insurance for 234 with www.backpackertravelinsurance.ie which you have to have to get the visa cleared, and other questions post away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

Applied for visa last night but havent heard from Usit yet

Paid with laser card and all and was expecting an e-mail but nothing

Anyone got any idea what happens next or how long I should expect to wait?

Also, has anyone any idea where the best place to work is??

I wana go to vancouver but also heard if u go to newfoundland or somewhere with low population that its really easy to get permenant visa?? is this true?

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

I have flights provisionally booked with them, I'll be changing my departure date once me and my mate sort everything out though.

but at least now I know I definitely have the visa, I guess. (kept having nightmares that for some reason I was refused the visa!)

How much did you get your flights for, and to where? I've spotted a few bargains if I fly through the UK so I'l be going for that option unless USIT give my a lower quote.

I got a quote from USIT which Ill probably take for 1125.00 euro which is Shannon to Vancouver in September, which includes my insurance (including the winter sports option) and a canadian sim card with $10 credit for the rogers network. It costs only 50 euro to change the return date and 75 euro for a re-route which is one of the cheapest options Ive found compared to other airlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Danteryu

That's pretty much the same as I got for my flights and insurance - despite all the horror stories I'd heard about USIT here, I found that to be very reasonable. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

Heard if u go to newfoundland or somewhere with low population that its really easy to get permenant visa?? is this true?

thanks!

These places have smaller populations because there is no work, most locals have to move elsewhere to find employment.

Mine are 1100. Fly to London then to Vancouver. I can change my dates for free though according to USIT.

• Advertisement

Mine are 1100. Fly to London then to Vancouver. I can change my dates for free though according to USIT.

Is that from Dublin? Mines to Heathrow too and then onto Vancouver with BA, but check again about the changing dates, USIT dont really make it clear that its only free if you wish to change before your departure date. Most people will have to pay the fee if they are going for a year, so this should be considered when comparing flight prices.

Advertisement