Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

Hi all,
    Just about to book my travel insurance. Most people seemed to have used backpackertravelinsurance.ie ?
    I'm just wondering if people opted for the Premier or the Premier Plus option, and what grade you chose for the hazardous activities ? I'm thinking premier plus at grade one should be enough, for both myself and to cover what usit deem sufficant.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 40 lilmissbadass

hey, just wondering if anybody who applied for the under 35 visa in april has received there documents yet? my status is still at work auth doc printed. and was just wondering if any of yous have been able to download your forms and print them off yet. and if so how long did it take after this status update for usit to actually upload your documents onto the site to be printed off?

hey, just wondering if anybody who applied for the under 35 visa in april has received there documents yet? my status is still at work auth doc printed. and was just wondering if any of yous have been able to download your forms and print them off yet. and if so how long did it take after this status update for usit to actually upload your documents onto the site to be printed off?

You wont recieve them until you either book flights and insurance with usit or book your own and forward the information onto usit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I'd imagine you would have to be fully paid up with usit as well before they give you your documentation....which is probably why they still have mine.

ratedR wrote: »
    You wont recieve them until you either book flights and insurance with usit or book your own and forward the information onto usit.

i booked both flights and insurance with usit the day i handed in my completed application forms and paid the €200 euro deposit off them. i was told i didnt have to pay in full until a month before we (myself and my boyfriend who is in the same position) fly which will be september. its been 9 weeks now since we handed in our completed application forms and booked our flights and insurance and we still havnt recieved our documents to be printed off.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine you would have to be fully paid up with usit as well before they give you your documentation....which is probably why they still have mine.

thats what im starting to think but they dont tell you any of that on the terms and conditions and they say you dont have to pay in full until a month before you fly. thats why im wondering if anyone already has theirs and hasnt paid in full yet?

i didnt really want to pay it all off in full until i had my documents in my hand. i mean if i do pay the full amount and then find out that paying in full doenst guaranty that they will put up your documents to be printed off, and then im still left waiting for them and i dont revieve them in time for us to fly well then that means i have paid alot of money and then will have to pay more again to have my flights changed. especially beacause once your paid in full you only get one free flight change which i want to be my flight coming back home as i plan to stay for the year and i really dont want to waste that change on my flight going over there and then have to pay more money on the flight back home or visa versa.

thats what im starting to think but they dont tell you any of that on the terms and conditions and they say you dont have to pay in full until a month before you fly. thats why im wondering if anyone already has theirs and hasnt paid in full yet?

i didnt really want to pay it all off in full until i had my documents in my hand. i mean if i do pay the full amount and then find out that paying in full doenst guaranty that they will put up your documents to be printed off, and then im still left waiting for them and i dont revieve them in time for us to fly well then that means i have paid alot of money and then will have to pay more again to have my flights changed. especially beacause once your paid in full you only get one free flight change which i want to be my flight coming back home as i plan to stay for the year and i really dont want to waste that change on my flight going over there and then have to pay more money on the flight back home or visa versa.

Well then make sure you pay it in full in plenty of time before you plan on leaving. Sounds like you don't have a date set yet ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

thats what im starting to think but they dont tell you any of that on the terms and conditions and they say you dont have to pay in full until a month before you fly.

Why don't you give them a buzz?

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

timetogo wrote: »
    Why don't you give them a buzz?

That's exactly what I was thinking!!

Just give them a call or email and they'll sort you out! Despite what people might say they aren't out to get you!!

Once you are fully paid up, they WILL give you the visa! Pretty much what you are asking here is - why do I not have a product/service I have not yet paid for in full? ;) Why would you think that they wouldn't give you the documents once you've paid for them? How would USIT know that you won't pay in full once you have the visa in your hands?

Just drop them a mail or call them!

Well then make sure you pay it in full in plenty of time before you plan on leaving. Sounds like you don't have a date set yet ?

i was planning on paying when i had all documents in my hand. all dates are set return flights are booked for tuesday 19th october and insurance is also booked i booked both of these with usit and paid the deposit.

Chet Zar wrote: »
    That's exactly what I was thinking!!

Just give them a call or email and they'll sort you out! Despite what people might say they aren't out to get you!!

Once you are fully paid up, they WILL give you the visa! Pretty much what you are asking here is - why do I not have a product/service I have not yet paid for in full? ;) Why would you think that they wouldn't give you the documents once you've paid for them? How would USIT know that you won't pay in full once you have the visa in your hands?

Just drop them a mail or call them!

im not asking them for a product i havnt paid for. the money i havnt paid is for flights and insurance. i have my visa paid for in full and im still waiting on it after booking flights and insurance with them. im not worried that there going to be spiteful and just not give me my documents. what im afraid of is that there are going to be big delays in uploading them to me and i wont have them in time for my flights and i will have to change my flights after paying the full amount (you only get one free flight change after paying in full). i dont see y i have to pay in full for flights and insurance in order to recieve my visa when i have my visa already paid for in full. if i was to book flights and insurance with anybody else i wouldnt have to pay that company in full in order to recieve my visa from usit. so i cant see how usit can withold my documents just because i havnt paid my flights in full i think is really bad conduct on usits part especially since i chose to book with them giving them my money and not another company unlike others. y should i be penalised for booking with them. its my visa i want not my boarding passes.

i sent them an email today asking what the story is and if i need to pay in full before i receive them or if not how much longer will it take to receive them. since its friday i dont expect an email back until atleast tuesday. when i do get it i'l let you guys know what it said.

so have any of you recieved your documents yet. whether you paid your flights and insurance in full or not?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

so have any of you recieved your documents yet. whether you paid your flights and insurance in full or not?

Within 1 day of providing usit with my flights and insurance details the link appeared on the website which allowed me to download the work permit.

I imagine that once you have paid for your flights and insurance (in full) you will be allowed to download the docs.

Mine was on "Work Auth Doc Printed - Your Work Authorisation Document has been issued" for months too. Once I booked my flights and insurance, and emailed usit with the details, within a day they had emailed me a receipt for the €399 I paid back in January, and a link became available for me to download my visa.

As soon as you pay in full you'll get it from Usit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Wahey heading back to Canada ourselves. Lived in Vancouver for 7 years and now going to Toronto. Never say never!

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    Within 1 day of providing usit with my flights and insurance details the link appeared on the website which allowed me to download the work permit.

I imagine that once you have paid for your flights and insurance (in full) you will be allowed to download the docs.

Mine was on "Work Auth Doc Printed - Your Work Authorisation Document has been issued" for months too. Once I booked my flights and insurance, and emailed usit with the details, within a day they had emailed me a receipt for the €399 I paid back in January, and a link became available for me to download my visa.

As soon as you pay in full you'll get it from Usit.

so does that mean both of you booked flights and insurance with another company other than usit and once you handed over those details to usit they uploaded your documents to be printed off? or did either of you book your flights and insurance with usit?

so does that mean both of you booked flights and insurance with another company other than usit and once you handed over those details to usit they uploaded your documents to be printed off? or did either of you book your flights and insurance with usit?

Yes, I booked my flights and insurance independently.

It's worth pointing out that the T&Cs state that once your work doc is issued, you must provide usit with flight and insurance details.

They waive this requirement if you tell them you are going to book with them and pay the deposit.

I notice you said "im not asking them for a product i havnt paid for. the money i havnt paid is for flights and insurance." and it sounds like you're gearing up for a row!

But I'll have to side with usit. The deposit reserves your space on the programme but until you have paid in full , rightly or wrongly you are not going to get your work permit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I think you have to pay up a bit sooner than a month before you go. I'm not flying until Jan 23rd but I have to pay the balance on my flights and insurance around the end of September.

I think you are worrying too much. Just pay them in plenty of time before you depart and you should be fine. When it comes to travel never let things to the last minute. If the worst comes to the worst I'm sure usit can post you your documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,165 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I have had nothing but good luck here.

Arrived in Montreal on Thursday night.

Got a bank account sorted on Friday no bother at all just needed two peices of ID which were my passport and work permit from Immigration.

Bought the local paper Saturday morning viewed an apartment and move in tomorrow. It fully furnished only need to get a tv. Everything is included in the price at $500 a month.

Just a 10 min walk or less to the nearest Metro station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

I have had nothing but good luck here.

Arrived in Montreal on Thursday night.

Got a bank account sorted on Friday no bother at all just needed two peices of ID which were my passport and work permit from Immigration.

Bought the local paper Saturday morning viewed an apartment and move in tomorrow. It fully furnished only need to get a tv. Everything is included in the price at $500 a month.

Just a 10 min walk or less to the nearest Metro station.

And one live premiership match and the other shown after tape delayed, every Saturday morning when the season starts - 10am and 12 noon :)

jules1979 wrote: »
    I have been in contact with backpackerinsurance.ie and they have quoted me
    €185.99 (excluding admin fee)
    I sent them on the requirements sent to me from USIT and they said that this Premier Plus policy is sufficient. USIT have also confirmed this. Booked my flight with AirTransit. I only have a one way ticket and am a little concerned about providing evidence of funds. I was reading the FAQ on the USIT website and it said that you need to have the 3000CAD on you upon arrival in the form of cash or travellers cheques. There's no way I'm walking around with that kind of money on me. Is it ok to have a recent bank statement? The thread has been really helpful. As I'm travelling on my own, I'm trying to get as much help and advice before I go out next month:)

Hi. The premier insurance is fine (rather than premium plus). Don't forget your winter sports cover! Regarding evidence of funds, a bank statement should be fine. If you have a return ticket you only need evidence of $1000.

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    Yes, I booked my flights and insurance independently.

It's worth pointing out that the T&Cs state that once your work doc is issued, you must provide usit with flight and insurance details.

They waive this requirement if you tell them you are going to book with them and pay the deposit.

I notice you said "im not asking them for a product i havnt paid for. the money i havnt paid is for flights and insurance." and it sounds like you're gearing up for a row!

But I'll have to side with usit. The deposit reserves your space on the programme but until you have paid in full , rightly or wrongly you are not going to get your work permit!

first off im not gearing up for a row i am simply just pointing out to another user, who was making out that i hadn't paid for the product which im waiting for, that i have fully paid for my visa. the product i havnt paid for in full is flights. but its the visa im waiting for which is fully paid for.

the deposit i paid was for flights and bookng flights doesnt reserve a space on the programme paying for the visa does. i already have my place on the programme and it has been confirmed my the canadian high commision and my work visa is now in the hands of usit, who wont hand them over. until i pay in full for a seperate product i booked with them. which in my opinion is ludicrious. as you said yourself you booked independantly and because of that you now have your visa in your hand. where as i chose to book with usit and because of that they are withholding my visa until they get more money out of me. i just dont understand i think its all a bit bizzar. :confused:

• Advertisement

as you said yourself you booked independantly and because of that you now have your visa in your hand. where as i chose to book with usit and because of that they are withholding my visa until they get more money out of me. i just dont understand i think its all a bit bizzar. :confused:

Yes, but I didn't just pay a deposit on flights.. I paid the full amount. Until you have done the same I don't think you will be getting the permit.

If you end up not paying the balance of your flights and you have no alternative flights booked, I think usit have the facility to cancel your permit and issue it to someone else. I heard of a few people getting a place on the programme after the closing date precisely because other people did not get their requirements in.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

first off im not gearing up for a row i am simply just pointing out to another user, who was making out that i hadn't paid for the product which im waiting for, that i have fully paid for my visa. the product i havnt paid for in full is flights. but its the visa im waiting for which is fully paid for.

the deposit i paid was for flights and bookng flights doesnt reserve a space on the programme paying for the visa does. i already have my place on the programme and it has been confirmed my the canadian high commision and my work visa is now in the hands of usit, who wont hand them over. until i pay in full for a seperate product i booked with them. which in my opinion is ludicrious. as you said yourself you booked independantly and because of that you now have your visa in your hand. where as i chose to book with usit and because of that they are withholding my visa until they get more money out of me. i just dont understand i think its all a bit bizzar. :confused:

The terms and conditions on USIT's site state that they work permit will not be released until flights and insurance are paid for in full...?

USIT have to submit your flight information to the Canadian authorities so that this is recorded and they can note that you have committed to going (and also that you aren't depriving someone else of a place if you decide not to go after all).

Chet Zar wrote: »
    The terms and conditions on USIT's site state that they work permit will not be released until flights and insurance are paid for in full...?

USIT have to submit your flight information to the Canadian authorities so that this is recorded and they can note that you have committed to going (and also that you aren't depriving someone else of a place if you decide not to go after all).

iv been reading over the terms and conditions for the last half hour now and i cant find where it said that. im sure i read something about usit not submitting the visa documents to anyone who booked their flights independently until they give those details to usit. but for the life of me i can find that anymore my brain has turned to mush lol. do you think you could find where is says about paying in full and copy and pasting it here coz i just cant seem to find it. thanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭vaalea

Just in case this is of any interest to anyone going over with their unlocked iphones... I have two contracts for 1 year that include 6GB/30$ month (and you can tether it also!) which otherwise requires a 3 year contract to get. If a couple-friends take both of them there is also an awesome voice plan with unlimited incoming call, and couple it with yakcell service and you get really affordable long distance!

I'm a Canadian just arrived in Ireland for about a year so that's why I need to transfer my contract. I'm trying to figure out the best data plan here for my iphone... being used to 6GB a month it doesn't seem like contract transfers are common? Though a guy at vodafone said it's possible. Any ideas??

Anyway, contact me if you want more details on the Rogers contract, and if you have any tips on iphone plans-companies here in Ireland that would be awesome. :) Thanks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

iv been reading over the terms and conditions for the last half hour now and i cant find where it said that. im sure i read something about usit not submitting the visa documents to anyone who booked their flights independently until they give those details to usit. but for the life of me i can find that anymore my brain has turned to mush lol. do you think you could find where is says about paying in full and copy and pasting it here coz i just cant seem to find it. thanks :D

On this page condition 12 gives the times for you to get your docs back to Usit.

http://canada.usit.ie/student-programme/terms-and-conditions/

"Applicants are responsible for submitting all requested documentation (including a valid passport and proof of flights and insurance*) to USIT within"

then the number of days changes based on the time of year. I don't know about them having to be paid for in full but they probably do if you're buying them from other travel agents or websites.

Yes, I booked my flights and insurance myself. And yes, once I had shown usit proof of the booked flights and insurance, they allowed me to download the visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Am I wrong in saying that your visa starts on your arrival to Canada so before your visa is issued you must buy your flights so they have your arrival date?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Hi guys, I'm heading to Vancouver solo on the 18th. I've a week booked at a hostel but hope to get something more permanent sorted out after that.

Any ideas how much I can expect to pay for an apartment or to rent a room in a house share?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sonyz1

I have had nonstop hassles from USIT, Anyone with similar problems drop liveline a email: liveline@rte.ie

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Would anybody know if it would affect your application if you've overstayed your visa in Australia. It was only by a month and there was no hassle while leaving. Would something like that show up in a police check?

Advertisement