Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭alcon1984

dceire wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm heading to Vancouver solo on the 18th. I've a week booked at a hostel but hope to get something more permanent sorted out after that.

Any ideas how much I can expect to pay for an apartment or to rent a room in a house share?

Depends where you wana live, downtown Van $600 - $800 per month,gets a bit cheaper as you move out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭alcon1984

lil_lisa wrote: »
    Am I wrong in saying that your visa starts on your arrival to Canada so before your visa is issued you must buy your flights so they have your arrival date?

Yes your visa starts when you enter Canada, you dont actually get your visa untill you arrive at the airport in Canada, you give immigration a letter that Usit email to you then immigration ask you a few questions and print off your visa and stick it in your passport.

Usit just wont send you out your letter and other info untill you give then your insurance and flight details, I surpose to insure you have got adiquate insurance? Anyway thats how its done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

alcon1984 wrote: »
    Depends where you wana live, downtown Van $600 - $800 per month,gets a bit cheaper as you move out.

I'm pretty open to suggestion as far as accommodation is concerned.

Is it worth paying the extra $100 or so to live in downtown?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

I'm pretty open to suggestion as far as accommodation is concerned.

Is it worth paying the extra $100 or so to live in downtown?

I would live as close to DT as possible. I lived in N Vancouver, just over from the DT area, its cheaper but not that much. Areas further out like Mission, Maple Ridge, Langley, Surrey and south to Richmond get quite heavy traffic into town. There is a west coast express train out to some of these areas but they finish quite early in the evening. You also have the metro which is pretty good and opens up areas just outside DT. Burnaby would be a good place to live.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

ciaran67 wrote: »
    I would live as close to DT as possible. I lived in N Vancouver, just over from the DT area, its cheaper but not that much. Areas further out like Mission, Maple Ridge, Langley, Surrey and south to Richmond get quite heavy traffic into town. There is a west coast express train out to some of these areas but they finish quite early in the evening. You also have the metro which is pretty good and opens up areas just outside DT. Burnaby would be a good place to live.

I lived on 46th and and Latta out near Joyce/Collingwood on Kingsway and it was a lovely area. If you get close to a Skytrain your laughing. Burnaby isnt an area I would recommend tbh. Commercial Drive is a great area, as is the obv. Kits, which is where I would pick If I could live anywhere in the world. Metrotown area is also nice enough.

• Advertisement

wixfjord wrote: »
    Kits, which is where I would pick If I could live anywhere in the world.

Wouldnt we all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 lilmissbadass

hey guys just popping on here to fill u in on a little update. i never got an email reply back from usit. so my boyfriend called them up to ask if we needed to pay the full amount and y? the girl told us that yes you do have to pay the full amount if you book flights and insurance with them. because we only paid the deposit this meant we did not have full insurance cover as the deposit did not cover the cost of this and they wont hand over the visa documents to anyone who does not have full insurance. she then explained as soon as we pay, our visa document will be uploaded within 1 day. so we both paid the full amount there and then and true to her word we got an email with our insurance details within an hour and then another hour later our visa documents where uploaded for us to download and print off. so everything is sorted out now visas in hand flights and insurance booked and paid for (in full lol) and just cant wait to go now. just praying nothing happens between now and then to make us have to change our outbound flights. im sure it wont though, im just a big paranoid worrying fool lol. anyway just wanted to thank you guys for all the help, support and advice you gave me on this and sorry if i pissed anyone off along the way, i am truly grateful. thanks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 emmagail

flights booked today 1496 for 4..... leaving 14th Sept - going to live probably in Brantford, cant wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 jules1979

Just been looking at this thread and there's some great advice. Alot more for Vancouver than Toronto though. I'm heading to Toronto in two weeks and really need some advice on hostels/ hotels for my first week? Not planning on staying downtown too long...probably just the first week. Anyone heading out there around the same time? Don't have the money to hang around Toronto for too long, so would love to know if anyone's going doing a bit of travelling at the start of September??

Hey, I'm heading off by myself to Toronto on the 24th. I've booked into the Canadiana Hostel for the first few days. How are you settling into it?? Bit nervous about going on my own. Not sure if I'll stay in Toronto but I'll see once I get there. Any help and advice would be great

• Advertisement

Hey, have you settled over there? I'm heading off on my own on the 24th and getting really nervous about going on my own. Flying into Toronto. Not sure if I'll stay there or move on, but any help and advice would be really appreciated!

I'm off to Vancouver Wednesday week. :D

Big issue for me, where can I watch Premier League matches? I'm a huge Man U fan and it is very important that I can follow my boys regardless of my location :D

I'm guessing that there are various supporters clubs that get together for matches. Might be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

Big issue for me, where can I watch Premier League matches? I'm a huge Man U fan and it is very important that I can follow my boys regardless of my location :D

I'm guessing that there are various supporters clubs that get together for matches. Might be an option.

Alot of bars show premier league games and they can also be watched in the privacy and comfort of your own home, there's a few channels that show tha games.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Good stuff dceire, enjoy the trip over - I'm heading to Vancouver in early Sept, we'll all have to hit a bar somewhere for the footie :) Hopefully Jamie Redknapp will be on mute :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bossmanpaulo

Hey Guys,

Iv am unfortunately moving home from Vancouver after some good times here.

I am living with an Irish dude and Canadian girl.

Iv had loads of offers for the room but looking for an Irish person to take it to keep the balance in the apartment.

If anyone is coming over, and needs somewhere quick and located downtown, please contact me through the Craigslist ad below.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/roo/1879809826.html

Cheers guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jeanie_Mac

Hey -
    I'm thinking of subletting out my room in my flat in Toronto for the last 2 weeks of August. I've got a new flat that's available immediately and I don't want to pay rent in 2 places at the same time. Any takers?

Chet Zar wrote: »
    Good stuff dceire, enjoy the trip over - I'm heading to Vancouver in early Sept, we'll all have to hit a bar somewhere for the footie :) Hopefully Jamie Redknapp will be on mute :D

With you all the way. That Redknapp lad needs to be gagged, many of my lady friends agree. Although, maybe for a different reason than mine. :D

Anyway, once I get to see some footie I'll be happy. We should definitely get some boards meet ups going for games, especially international games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Kod-box

Hey Guys,

Iv had loads of offers for the room but looking for an Irish person to take it to keep the balance in the apartment.

If anyone is coming over, and needs somewhere quick and located downtown, please contact me through the Craigslist ad below.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/roo/1879809826.html

Cheers guys.

Place looks deadly, pity im not going til january :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Kod-box

I'd be up for any Utd match meet-ups, heading in January and its a concern of mine not being able to watch us retain the title this season :)

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Vancouver Yaletown loft for sub-let for two weeks mid August to end of August.

Hi my GF and I are sub-letting our loft in yaletown for the last two weeks of August or maybe earlier its a great spot This is a good offer as most end up staying in hostels for a month at the start (as apartments rent a month in advance unless you find one where someone has left early). Our place is way ahead of any hostel in Vancouver and a good base for job hunting very close to everything its a class spot really :D

Drop me a PM for more info the dates are relatively flexible you can pay all monies when you arrive into Vancouver so no messing the landlord will hold a deposit of $400 and is sound with the idea + the cost per night will be based on - Samsun hostel on Granville st. which is nowhere as good as this - charge $500 each for two weeks in a 4 bed room dorm so we will do it for this rate too.

---edit

PS - There cannot be any parties or noise - if there are two staying the two weeks then it has to be two people - if it is more then all you need to do is let us know, the building is mostly owner occupied so its quiet.

PM for more info cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bossmanpaulo

Hey Guys,

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...879809826.html

Setanta will be in the apartment next week , we cancelled it for the summer but defo getting it back in. Costs 15 bucks a month. Cheap as you get basically every game that can be shown live will be.

Cheers guys.

Premier League is huge in Canada. There's a live game at 7am (Vancouver time) and a tape delayed 'live' game straight after at 9am.

The Chelsea Vancouver Supporters are quite a large group run by Gerry whos London Irish like me. Had some good laughs with them.

Would be good for making friends when you first arrive.

http://trueblues.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=1&Itemid=40

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭floyd.pepper

For those bound-for or living-in the Toronto.
    Phones are pricey enough but you could try Wind Mobile - they don't require a contract or Fido seem to be good to. Steer clear of Rogers.

Good luck and enjoy!

Koodo mobile is the best value around imho.
    This is a nice neighbourhood guide as well (not an accurate map obviously!) http://www.eyeweekly.com/neighbourhoods

BlogTO is another excellent neighbourhood guide. Also has lots of reviews of bars and restaurants and upcoming gigs/events.
    First piece of advice if you're hitting Toronto is go to the SWAP orientation thing (think it's Thursdays) It's a bit cheesy and happy clappy but you'll meet plenty of people there and might be able to sort out house sharing or something.
    +1
    It made things a lot smoother for us when we came over. They were very helpful in there and you get to meet with lots of peeps in the same situation. normally head back for pints in backpackers afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 somedeed

jules1979 wrote: »
    Hey, I'm heading off by myself to Toronto on the 24th. I've booked into the Canadiana Hostel for the first few days. How are you settling into it?? Bit nervous about going on my own. Not sure if I'll stay in Toronto but I'll see once I get there. Any help and advice would be great

Hi Jules,

I arrived here almost 2 weeks ago, staying in the canadiana but to be honest I've spent very little time there, I've been trying to find a good place to live, finally succeeded.

Everyone is really nice in there, I just suck at making new friends that way so focused on getting a house share with canadians.

The city is fantastic and the ppl are all really nice, best advice I can give you is just know what you want to do when you arrive, be it get a job, permanent accommodation or making friends, even the tourist stuff. It's when you don't have somewhere to go it do you'll get homesick or start having doubts.

If you want any advice feel free to pm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭shipwreck

+1

glad you got somewhere to live somedeed!!!

Toronto is great. I came on my own too almost 2 months ago....I was definitely nervous for the first 24 hours...now I feel so at home I cant remember what it was like to live in ireland!!!!

No recession!! Woo!!

Just got a job...it takes everyone a while so have the funds to back you up for a few weeks and you'll be fine!!!

All Ill say is you will LOVE this city!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭tommy26

Hi ship wreck,i mite be heading to toronto in a few months,how much cash would i need to keep me going until i find work?I know the more the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭shipwreck

At least 5000 euro!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭tommy26

ya i have that anyway,i suppose to get a house and pay a deposit would set u back a fair bit?I would be sharing.

Hey Guys,

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...879809826.html

Setanta will be in the apartment next week , we cancelled it for the summer but defo getting it back in. Costs 15 bucks a month. Cheap as you get basically every game that can be shown live will be.

Cheers guys.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll pop an email on as soon as i can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 somedeed

shipwreck wrote: »
    +1

glad you got somewhere to live somedeed!!!

Toronto is great. I came on my own too almost 2 months ago....I was definitely nervous for the first 24 hours...now I feel so at home I cant remember what it was like to live in ireland!!!!

No recession!! Woo!!

Just got a job...it takes everyone a while so have the funds to back you up for a few weeks and you'll be fine!!!

All Ill say is you will LOVE this city!!!!

Thanks Shipwreck, well it's 99% there, going to check one more place but it's a very cool place.

One other piece of advice maybe is I initially focused on finding somewhere downtown but there are some really nice places on the surrounding areas, the subway is fast and you'll save money not being surrounded by temptation everywhere you look.

Advertisement