Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭tommy26

I just booked my Visa there for Canada,What the next step,do i wait for them to get back to me now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

tommy26 wrote: »
    I just booked my Visa there for Canada,What the next step,do i wait for them to get back to me now?

what type of visa?
    Who did you book it with?

If it's usit and you booked it online, the next step is to wait for usit to call you (probably tomorrow) and give them your credit card details. Make sure you apply for your policy certs asap and that your passport is in date for the full duration you will be away.

Once you have paid the fee, you can enter in your passport details online, and then you can download the application form. You have 30 days to provide the application form and police certs to usit.

its the u35 working Visa,I booked it with Usit and i paid for it.

its the u35 working Visa,I booked it with Usit and i paid for it.

If you have your booking reference e.g. FS123 , go to
    http://canada.usit.ie/under-35-programme/introduction/ and click "track your application"

Thanks,what about tickets ,who should i get them with?

• Advertisement

Thanks,what about tickets ,who should i get them with?

I went with air canada. their fee for changes is €100. you could also go with BA or Air lingus. I'm not sure who else flies to canada.

I got my insurance with backpackertravelinsurance.ie.

When are you flying out?

I hope to go in October,when are u heading urself?

I hope to go in October,when are u heading urself?

Ok you should be fine to book your flight now... I just waited until my work permit issued to be sure. Just to let you know, once you have all your requirements in and your work permit issues you only have a week to book your flights and insurance. This caught me out a bit!

I'm heading in November! 13 weeks.. can't wait!
    I'm going to Toronto

How much were the tickets with air canada,where are u flying from?

How much were the tickets with air canada,where are u flying from?

flying from dublin ..

tickets with air canada are as low as 550 i think, maybe less.. it depends on the dates your flying! go to aircanada.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 doublethought

Hey, anyone going to Vancouver? I'm looking to go next January, just got the visa sorted and looking at flights and insurance. Aer Lingus seems to be the best? Going on my lonesome so absolutely not idea what to do when i get out there, any advice?!

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Hey, anyone going to Vancouver? I'm looking to go next January, just got the visa sorted and looking at flights and insurance. Aer Lingus seems to be the best? Going on my lonesome so absolutely not idea what to do when i get out there, any advice?!

Hey Doublethought, what are you looking to work at etc? I'm heading out to Vancouver in Sept. Best areas to live in Van appear to be places like Kitsilano, Commercial Drive, Downtown/Yaletown area.

It can be a bit daunting figuring out what to do/where to live etc - when I was researching a move I read through all the boards threads and a few other forums, I found though that there wasn't a huge amount out there online on moving abroad/emigrating like there is with say travel/holiday websites etc, so I published a two ebooks written by a couple of Irish expats on moving to and setting up in Canada and Oz - you and others might find the Canada one useful - it will show you what to look out for. There's a link to it in my sig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 doublethought

Chet Zar wrote: »
    Hey Doublethought, what are you looking to work at etc? I'm heading out to Vancouver in Sept. Best areas to live in Van appear to be places like Kitsilano, Commercial Drive, Downtown/Yaletown area.

you got any plans yet or still vague? im happy enough to do anything, would ideally like something to do with my degree although very much just looking for any job when i get out there, whole point is just something different from here. only really started properly researching things now so will definitely check out those areas and that ebook! suppose the hardest part is what do straight on arrival.

you got any plans yet or still vague? im happy enough to do anything, would ideally like something to do with my degree although very much just looking for any job when i get out there, whole point is just something different from here. only really started properly researching things now so will definitely check out those areas and that ebook! suppose the hardest part is what do straight on arrival.

Looking to get a career-type job just like yourself, have a good few years experience and jobs situation looks fairly good over there, even if it will be competitive. Thing about it though is that you can spend the rest of your life working in your field, I am also thinking that it will be nice to have the year to have the freedom to maybe do something a bit different work-wise as well! As you said yourself it's all about the change!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

Looking to get a career-type job just like yourself, have a good few years experience and jobs situation looks fairly good over there, even if it will be competitive. Thing about it though is that you can spend the rest of your life working in your field, I am also thinking that it will be nice to have the year to have the freedom to maybe do something a bit different work-wise as well! As you said yourself it's all about the change!

139,000 full time jobs lost in Canada in July, it's not all rosey.

colin29 wrote: »
    139,000 full time jobs lost in Canada in July, it's not all rosey.

Hence 'fairly' good :)

Hence 'fairly' good :)

Not when you watch the current affairs shows over here, that's just the tip of the iceberg, most of the new jobs are seasonal temporary positions which will be gone again soon, the HST isn't helping anybody but the rich and poor those in the middle get shafted, as per usual, restaurants are shredding staff to be more cost effective, various other industries are having to do the same. Business in Whlstler is having it's worst year in a long time, as I said, it's not all rosey, there are alot of unemployed here who are vying for the same jobs as all the new immigrants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 fintanspark

Looking to see if anyone out there has moved to Toronto and what their thoughts on the city are? We are considering relocation with a young family (5 & 3.5) to Toronto as a long term commitment. Can make move easily as 3 out of 4 of the family have Canadian Citzenship. Just wonder thoughts on;
    * how you and your family have settled in the city?
    * where you chose to live & why?
    * the worst & best parts (weather aside).
    Thanks for the feedback, and we're not trying to run away from Dublin, but looking at the longer term benefits for the next 10-20 years of living in a place like Toronto vs Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Looking to see if anyone out there has moved to Toronto and what their thoughts on the city are? We are considering relocation with a young family (5 & 3.5) to Toronto as a long term commitment. Can make move easily as 3 out of 4 of the family have Canadian Citzenship. Just wonder thoughts on;
    * how you and your family have settled in the city?
    * where you chose to live & why?
    * the worst & best parts (weather aside).
    Thanks for the feedback, and we're not trying to run away from Dublin, but looking at the longer term benefits for the next 10-20 years of living in a place like Toronto vs Dublin.

Have a look in here. Loads on Canada

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=56

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Ok so only considering going to Canada now. Am just finishing off my masters at the moment. Its in law- so im guessing that will be of the same value in CA as it is here! Neway- my question is- what happens if i get my year working visa and i want to stay longer? Or the company i work for also wants me to stay longer? What are the possibilities? Cheers

• Advertisement

Ok so only considering going to Canada now. Am just finishing off my masters at the moment. Its in law- so im guessing that will be of the same value in CA as it is here! Neway- my question is- what happens if i get my year working visa and i want to stay longer? Or the company i work for also wants me to stay longer? What are the possibilities? Cheers

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jamyjamz

Reney wrote: »
    Hi, I'm planning on heading to Whistler Oct/Nov time to spend the ski season there for lots of skiing, partying and working to fund everything. Great if anyone could offer any advice on finding accommodation, work etc out there or if anyone was interested in teaming up to find a place please pm me.:D

Hi Reney, My friend Tracey and I are also moving to hopefully Whistler in November too. We can't leave Ireland until approx the 22nd at the latest for personal reasons but I was wondering if you picked up anymore information. Did you book your ticket yet? Where are flying into? :D

Jamie

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

I dont know if anyone else got this call today from usit but they rang me to inform me that I must book flights by September now, even if the visa has not been cleared by the Canadian High Commission. My application has not yet been sent to London and they asked on the phone what date I would be travelling. Seems strange that they can change this now seeing as the guidelines on the website say nothing about having to pay everything in full by late September. They also said you must have the flights booked by Aug 24th. I dont believe this for a second and imagine its a sheme to get their money upfront asap. I asked the question 'what does one do if they only apply for a visa after September if they must have paid in full by September?' I am awaiting a response as i type.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Sheebs

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    I dont know if anyone else got this call today from usit but they rang me to inform me that I must book flights by September now, even if the visa has not been cleared by the Canadian High Commission. My application has not yet been sent to London and they asked on the phone what date I would be travelling. Seems strange that they can change this now seeing as the guidelines on the website say nothing about having to pay everything in full by late September. They also said you must have the flights booked by Aug 24th. I dont believe this for a second and imagine its a sheme to get their money upfront asap. I asked the question 'what does one do if they only apply for a visa after September if they must have paid in full by September?' I am awaiting a response as i type.

I was told this same rigmarole aswell. I already had a 100euro fine for sending my application in late and as they are only asking for 150 deposit until the end of September I just booked the flights. Unless you really don't have the money or another good reason I'd say you'd be best to just go along with them.

They have contradicted themselves to me at least 3 times about when I would need to have my flights sorted, but I just decided I'd save myself grief and do what they asked.

I have my work permit and flights booked. Usit actually told me that I had 7 days after my work procedure document was issued to submit details of my flights and insurance so I'm pretty surprised to read the below in their T&Cs. I wonder have they changed their T&Cs in the meantime or did I just not read them before!

I booked my visa in April and lied to usit by telling them I would be flying with them and I intended to fly out at the end of January. It was not possible to book flights this far ahead so they didn't hassle me at all!

My advice is to get all your requirements for the work permit to usit as soon as you have paid their registration fee (there is no reason you should not have everything ready!). However, wait until your work permit has issued before booking flights and insurance. Then book the flights and insurance immediately. If you can't afford to pay straight away, just go with usit as they allow you to reserve a place by paying a deposit towards a flight with them. They will not give you your work permit until you pay the balance however.

Anyway, from the T&Cs:

"Applicants are responsible for submitting all requested documentation (including a valid passport and proof of flights and insurance) to USIT within 40 calendar days of initial registration for visa processing.

Applicants who apply for the programme or are granted a place from 1st August 2010 must submit completed documents within 20 days of registration.
    c) Applicants who apply for this programme or are granted a place from 1st September 2010 must submit completed documents within 10 days of registration.
    d) Applicants who apply for this programme or are granted a place from 1st October 2010 must submit completed documents within 7 days of registration.

If you are submitting an alternative insurance policy, it must have been active for at least 15 days.

I hope that helps. It's there in black and white.

However, I still advise you not to book your flights / insurance until usit have your work permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

thanks for that but it does seem that they have either changed their T&C's or else they are just lying to me to hurry me along. Oh and I sent all my docs into usit 2 weeks ago (a week after i had booked my Visa) and they informed me that they have not forwarded it on to the Canadian Commission as they need to "review" it first and they want to know my flight dates before they send it off. Im not too bothered as i know they cant go changing the rules now but its annoying that they;re trying to hurry me along when i;ve done all thats been asked of me so far

thanks for that but it does seem that they have either changed their T&C's or else they are just lying to me to hurry me along. Oh and I sent all my docs into usit 2 weeks ago (a week after i had booked my Visa) and they informed me that they have not forwarded it on to the Canadian Commission as they need to "review" it first and they want to know my flight dates before they send it off. Im not too bothered as i know they cant go changing the rules now but its annoying that they;re trying to hurry me along when i;ve done all thats been asked of me so far

that's pure bullsh*t... can you not just give them an approx date? They can't make you book the flights without making sure you definitely have a place on the programme. No offence, but it should like you're getting it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Hey guys, will be heading to Canada to study next semester and I was just wondering if anybody knows of sites over there similar to Boards? I've looked at Canadaka.net but that looks to be a bit of a deadsite, from the parts I visited.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Captain Pillowcase

Hey,
    Saw a few posts there saying people were looking to get jobs in the area's they are working in at the moment at home and not to be a neggie nora and all but here's a heads up. I am in Vancouver and have been since June, trust me I have sent out 100's of resumes and my friend even more. It's hard to get something in the line you are working in now, it's still the re-keck here too and same as us they are giving to their own first as they have Canadian experiance and they can stay with the company for longer than the year. You can send off loads of resumes and cover letters and not hear back a tap for weeks. Supermarkets and coffee shops and bars are the best bet and for bars you need to get a "Serve it Right" cert that costs 40 bucks. Things are a touch on the pricey side in Van, say good bye to chicken its for the rich! I kid you not. I know I had looked at people posting things like this before I left and thought "Kill Joy" but they were right. I am not saying it's impossible but just be open minded to the fact you might not get an office job or a bank job etc and be open to the fact you might be working in a supermarket, bar or coffee shop. Bring as much money as you can and go easy on it for the first few weeks. Landlords can only as for you rent and a half months rent as security when you get somewhere. Kits can be expensive, Comm/Broadway is a good bet as is Mt. Pleasant etc. Look for Skytrain routes and Bus routes. As long as you are within walking distance of these you are good, and don't forget Van is HUGE! I get the 99 home from work just before midnight most nights and people be prep'ed for butts in your face at all hours! And hope no one blows off as some don't have air con. Yes some one ripped close to my head last night, not nice farty mc blowhole not nice.
    So look, the place is nice loads of heads from home around Kits etc so you will feel as if you never left, except you can't get 2 chicken breasts for less than $6! And just remember you may not end up with what you thought, just keep an open mind!
    For cheap foods, we found Wal-Mart at Lougheed brill. Its right on the sky-train, hence why I say this one and if ye go after 6.30 at night or on the weekends its only the 1 zone fare so cheaper again. Their Good Value range is as it says good value. Noodle 25c rice $1.50(ish) etc but then add on HST.

• Advertisement

Thanks fot that post,has anyone got some detailed info on Toronto like that post?

Advertisement