Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 shazfitzx

Hey my name is Sharon. Im flying to Toronto in November on the Student/Graduate Usit programme. Im kinda scared about it, are ther really jobs over there? I would be hoping to start off in a pub job or something along thoes lines and then get into Marketing or Event Management.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 shazfitzx

Hey my name is Sharon. Im flying to Toronto in November on the Student/Graduate Usit programme. Im kinda scared about it, are ther really jobs over there? I would be hoping to start off in a pub job or something along thoes lines and then get into Marketing or Event Management

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

lil_lisa wrote: »
    You can use just plain power adapters, it just won't give enough energy. For example, my laptop takes a little bit longer to charge but it's not a big deal so I just use an adapter, my hair straightener doesn't get the full amount of heat so I need a voltage converter/transformer to use this properly.

Basically, it depends on what you're plugging in. If it will run fine with just an adapter, there's no need to get a converter.

Thanks Lisa :D

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Captain Pillowcase

Hey any boardies in Vancouver looking for work at the mo? I work for 3 of the Tim Hortens in the Kits area and we are looking ASAP for people to do night work. Interested? If you message me I will send on the details. The people are nice in the stores and you get to see how Donuts are made!!!!! It could even do you for the mean time and will at least get a flow of money in for essentials.

And when the boss man said ASAP, he means can you start yesterday. You could be working by next week!!! Just let me know and I will get back on when I get home from work tomorrow. Thanks. :D

The area is well serviced by the 2, 9, 17, 22 and 99 so if you are in Downtown or even anywhere around the Drive you can get to it quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Hey guys, hello from Vancouver.

I'm looking for a little bit of advice/help here. It took me a few days to adjust mainly due to traveling alone and the cost of everything in Vancouver. However, I've met some really cool people from all over the world, except Ireland that is :rolleyes:

Anyway, back to my point. I need to get out of my hostel and into a house/apartment asap. I'd like to stay in Zone 1 if possible, basically anywhere but Chinatown/East Hastings. Everywhere seems really expensive. I went to see a place on 18th today and it was $650 per month. It seemed nice but had a creepy landlady and it was difficult to get to.

So basically I'm looking for a place in Zone 1 close to skytrain or buses that go direct into downtown. Suggestions for areas would be great. Ideally I want to spend $500 per month, $600 max for the right place.

Even better, if anyone has or knows of a room for rent, let me know. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Hey any boardies in Vancouver looking for work at the mo? I work for 3 of the Tim Hortens in the Kits area and we are looking ASAP for people to do night work. Interested? If you message me I will send on the details. The people are nice in the stores and you get to see how Donuts are made!!!!! It could even do you for the mean time and will at least get a flow of money in for essentials.

And when the boss man said ASAP, he means can you start yesterday. You could be working by next week!!! Just let me know and I will get back on when I get home from work tomorrow. Thanks. :D

The area is well serviced by the 2, 9, 17, 22 and 99 so if you are in Downtown or even anywhere around the Drive you can get to it quick.

*cough*

Hortons.
    :D

dceire wrote: »
    Any boards heads up for getting together to watch the footie somewhere over the weekend in Vancouver?

I'm in the Cambie on Seymour and Malones underneath supposedly shows the games but I'm open to suggestion.

I know people who watch the football in the Cinema bar on Granville. All these bars on Granville now. In 1998 all you could buy on Granville was a 1971 toaster and as much crack to blow even Pete Docherty's head off :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

I'm delighted to read an ad like this! I'm leaving a job to head off to canada and there would be nothing worse than not finding a job. Granted, i work in accounting here but i'm not going to be fussy! If i can't get a relevant job i will take anything sooner than head home!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

I'm looking for a little bit of advice/help here. It took me a few days to adjust mainly due to traveling alone and the cost of everything in Vancouver. However, I've met some really cool people from all over the world, except Ireland that is :rolleyes:

Anyway, back to my point. I need to get out of my hostel and into a house/apartment asap. I'd like to stay in Zone 1 if possible, basically anywhere but Chinatown/East Hastings. Everywhere seems really expensive. I went to see a place on 18th today and it was $650 per month. It seemed nice but had a creepy landlady and it was difficult to get to.

So basically I'm looking for a place in Zone 1 close to skytrain or buses that go direct into downtown. Suggestions for areas would be great. Ideally I want to spend $500 per month, $600 max for the right place.

Tight for time at the minute, but quick answer.. Join ISSC facebook page and post that ur looking for a place and that will reach out to most of the Irish community in Vancouver, Second option is to post on Craigslist that you're looking for a place to share, room to rent or whatever. You can get a nice place in Kits, sharing, for that kinda price range. Just be patient and keep on craigslist.
    Gd luck..

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    I'm delighted to read an ad like this! I'm leaving a job to head off to canada and there would be nothing worse than not finding a job. Granted, i work in accounting here but i'm not going to be fussy! If i can't get a relevant job i will take anything sooner than head home!

Revise the words double double.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 jules1979

Hi,
    This is just a warning for people flying out of Shannon. I arrived in Toronto yesterday not without hastle from customs in Shannon. When I handed over my letter of authority from the canadian government I was told that as it was a copy, I wouldn't be able to get my work papers in Toronto as they only accepted originals. USIT do not give you originals. They only email you these documents before you depart. I nearly missed my flight, as I was going to travel the hour back home to look for these "original papers" but was eventually let on.
    As I was travelling on my own, I really didn't need any hassle before leaving, as I was already having doubts about leaving. USIT confirmed this for me this morning. It actually states on the work papers that copies are accepted once they are legible.
    So if anyone else has the same problem, just tell customs to ring USIT.
    By the way, if anyone is looking to house share anywhere in the Toronto area, please contact me, as I am travelling alone :(

jules1979 wrote: »
    As I was travelling on my own, I really didn't need any hassle before leaving, as I was already having doubts about leaving. USIT confirmed this for me this morning. It actually states on the work papers that copies are accepted once they are legible.
    So if anyone else has the same problem, just tell customs to ring USIT.
    By the way, if anyone is looking to house share anywhere in the Toronto area, please contact me, as I am travelling alone :(

Indeed it does.. did you not point that out to the customs officer? :confused:

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Revise the words double double.

Yea I was in canada before.. daft, isn't it!

I did point this out to customs. The woman was adamant that Usit sent out originals. When she eventually did let me go ahead after getting the thumbs up from her supervisor she told me that I'd have hassle with canadian customs in Toronto. However, they couldn't have been any nicer. As I came over on a one way, I was expecting them to ask me for proof of funds, but they didn't. When are you coming over?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭marymc

I'm in Vancouver now. Met one girl in the hostel from Castlebar who was going home the following day, and that was it. Where is the mysterious Irish community?

jules1979 wrote: »
    I did point this out to customs. The woman was adamant that Usit sent out originals. When she eventually did let me go ahead after getting the thumbs up from her supervisor she told me that I'd have hassle with canadian customs in Toronto. However, they couldn't have been any nicer. As I came over on a one way, I was expecting them to ask me for proof of funds, but they didn't. When are you coming over?

What an idiot! I remember reading 3 american tourists were turned away (and had to travel back to America!) because they didn't have proof of funds and the female (irish) immigration officer refused to check their bank balance online.

In fact, their plan was to travel throughout Europe and Ireland was the first leg of their journey. I wonder was it the same officer!

My flight's booked for the first week in November. Keep me updated as to how you're getting on in Toronto... how your first days went, where you stayed, etc! i'm a bit worried about heading off.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

marymc wrote: »
    I'm in Vancouver now. Met one girl in the hostel from Castlebar who was going home the following day, and that was it. Where is the mysterious Irish community?

Have you found work/accomodation already? Am thinking of heading to Vancouver in approx 2 months but ive heard there is now work. Was considering the go4less visa with guaranted work....

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Have you checked out the 'Irish in Vancouver' Facebook page, and other pages? Good place to start...there is meant to be a fairly large Irish community in Vancouver, a lot less than in the likes of Toronto though. The Irish in Vancouver folks meet up fairly regularly and have events, by the looks of it.

How you finding it so far? What kind of work you going for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Im heading there in 4 weeks time... and Im mad to meet up with some irish now and then

Im heading there in 4 weeks time... and Im mad to meet up with some irish now and then

Emphasis on 'now and then' :D

Nah we'll have to arrange some sort of Boards meetup!

• Advertisement

Chet Zar wrote: »
    Have you checked out the 'Irish in Vancouver' Facebook page, and other pages? Good place to start...there is meant to be a fairly large Irish community in Vancouver, a lot less than in the likes of Toronto though.

When i lived in Van there wasnt any Irish at all. Apart from Irene the checkout lady at the IGA in Broadway :)

When i lived in Van there wasnt any Irish at all. Apart from Irene the checkout lady at the IGA in Broadway :)

Heheh. I reckon there's not a huge community there....woohoo! Kidding, kidding.

Seems like there's a far bigger Irish contingent in Toronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Hi,

Have you tried looking for rooms in East Vancouver? You should easily be able to pick up a room for that price out near Commercial, Nanaimo, 29th Avenue or Joyce Skytrain stations. I used to pay 450 dollars a month for a place by 29th Ave. skytrain, could get downtown in less than 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Chet Zar wrote: »
    Emphasis on 'now and then' :D

Nah we'll have to arrange some sort of Boards meetup!

Haha, Ya "now and then", but Im well up for a boards meet up, swap notes ect. Although Im hoping to get a Canadian experience, would also love to meet up with an irish group for the craic :D

Hearing about so many Irish heading there, I was beginning to think it was going to be like Sydney!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

Quite a few Irish people here, they just don't all hang around with other Irish so you rarely hear of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭tommy26

Hi ,does anyone know of any canada expo's on anywhere in the country,i hope to head over to toronto in a month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭marymc

I'm in Vancouver (just, Burnaby is across the road), but I live at the top of The Hill Of Doom, and I haven't seen an Irish person since the first day in the hostel. Usually this doesn't bother me, but I've barely met anyone who can speak English fluently, which is a bit of a land considering that I'm supposed to be still in North feckin America. I guess most Irish come in pairs or groups and can then afford to rent and eat together. And live in Kitsilano, which doesn't have much in the way of Skytrains and lots in the way of confusing buses. I have no idea how the buses work. And the sun is hurting my eyes. :P

God, I'm grumpy.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

I'm in Vancouver (just, Burnaby is across the road), but I live at the top of The Hill Of Doom, and I haven't seen an Irish person since the first day in the hostel. Usually this doesn't bother me, but I've barely met anyone who can speak English fluently, which is a bit of a land considering that I'm supposed to be still in North feckin America. I guess most Irish come in pairs or groups and can then afford to rent and eat together. And live in Kitsilano, which doesn't have much in the way of Skytrains and lots in the way of confusing buses. I have no idea how the buses work. And the sun is hurting my eyes. :P

God, I'm grumpy.

You have alot to learn about Vancouver, and Canada in General, get used to coming across people who don't speak English, not even a word of it, I worked for a cabinet making workshop last year where the people spoke Punjabi, Chinese or Tagalog(Filipino) with little to no English, you'll get frustrated but used to it after awhile.
    I don't understand how you find the buses confusing, very easy to find your way from A to B.

I booked into the All Days #3 Hostel today in Toronto. I booked a single room with an ensuite. My friends were already staying here and recommended it. Upon my arrival I was told that there were no ensuite rooms and that the room I was getting was "quite small". I was then told that my room was in another building 6 houses down. What a grubby establishment. My room is so small I am unable to open my suitcase on the floor. The bedsheets are filthy and the manager won't put the airconditioning on. I already asked him and he told me that he only puts it on when everyone is back in the hostel!! I have already paid upfront for the week. Could someone please tell me if it is possible to get a refund? I would be willing to pay for tomoro night, but there;s no way I can stay. I paid CAD385 for the room, so it was by no means cheap. Am I entitled to get anything back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 lilmissbadass

tommy26 wrote: »
    Hi ,does anyone know of any canada expo's on anywhere in the country,i hope to head over to toronto in a month or two.

there is an expo on in the RDS Dublin today caled "which course expo" usit will also have a stand there and will be giving out lots of info on all the visa programmes they do including canada.

dont know if you will get to read this post in time or if u can make it to the RDS today but if you can im sure it would be worth checking out.

Advertisement