Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

jules1979 wrote: »
    I booked into the All Days #3 Hostel today in Toronto. I booked a single room with an ensuite. My friends were already staying here and recommended it. Upon my arrival I was told that there were no ensuite rooms and that the room I was getting was "quite small". I was then told that my room was in another building 6 houses down. What a grubby establishment. My room is so small I am unable to open my suitcase on the floor. The bedsheets are filthy and the manager won't put the airconditioning on. I already asked him and he told me that he only puts it on when everyone is back in the hostel!! I have already paid upfront for the week. Could someone please tell me if it is possible to get a refund? I would be willing to pay for tomoro night, but there;s no way I can stay. I paid CAD385 for the room, so it was by no means cheap. Am I entitled to get anything back?

Of course you are.

but i don't think anyone on boards.ie will be able to advise you on canadian consumer laws.

Your first port of call is to try to sort it out with the hostel. Then try the canadian equivalent of citizens information. Unless you have a printout showing the address you were staying at and that your room was ensuite, and the fact that you've moved in rather than immediately saying it wasn't acceptable.. you might end up chalking it up to experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭tommy26

Thanks for that,im actually down in the south of the country so i could not make it up today.Another question.How long do you have to go to Canada once you get Visa?

tommy26 wrote: »
    Thanks for that,im actually down in the south of the country so i could not make it up today.Another question.How long do you have to go to Canada once you get Visa?

I'm heading to toronto in 2 months.

I'd advise you to apply for your police cert immediately, and make sure your passport is in date for the entire duration you will be away.. otherwise these will cause delays so you won't be heading off in one month. My visa only took 2 weeks to issue once all my requirements were in. It can take up to 8 weeks to get your visa once all your requirements are in .. if they do require a medical or any other info it can take delays. You also need to book your flights pretty much as soon as usit tell you your work permit has issued (you can change the date afterwards)

If you apply for the U35/student 2010 programme you have until the end of Jan 2011 to arrive in Canada.

Otherwise you will need to wait until the 2011 programme opens in January, and you could fly out as early as Feb 2011.

Thanks,Have you decided where you are staying yet in Toronto or will you get a hostel for the first week or so?

Thanks,Have you decided where you are staying yet in Toronto or will you get a hostel for the first week or so?

nope, i'm completely under prepared. I'll probably stay in a hostel for the first week. I haven't looked into anything yet! I was hoping to just show up and start job-hunting.

• Advertisement

Whats the story with renting,do u just pay the first and last months rent when sharing or do you have to pay a deposit on top of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 lilmissbadass

Whats the story with renting,do u just pay the first and last months rent when sharing or do you have to pay a deposit on top of that?

as far as i know its just first and last monts rent. at least all the aparmetns iv been looking at say that and the usit hanboook also states that its first and lasts months rent and doesnt say anything about paying a deposit.

im heading over to toronto myself in october and just booked a week stay in the global village backpakers hostel today. i booked a private double room with shared bathroom for 7 nights at a price of 406 euros. which i think is a bit steep for a hostel considering that is around 600 canadian dollars which is more than half an average months rent for an apartment in toronto. so im really hoping to find somewhere quickley when i get over so i dont end up wasting money on hostels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭fire_man

Just reading articles online about the canadian economy,they say its slowing down,Hope to head over soon but i hope things arent that bad over.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

fire_man wrote: »
    Just reading articles online about the canadian economy,they say its slowing down,Hope to head over soon but i hope things arent that bad over.

Not sure what kind of articles those were, but the Canadian finance minister is forecasting 3% growth in 2010. When I started reading the article I expected his name would be something like James Harper or something...hilariously his name is Jim Flaherty!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

Chet Zar wrote: »
    Not sure what kind of articles those were, but the Canadian finance minister is forecasting 3% growth in 2010. When I started reading the article I expected his name would be something like James Harper or something...hilariously his name is Jim Flaherty!

Coming from Ireland you should know not to trust what a government minister says.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

colin29 wrote: »
    Coming from Ireland you should know not to trust what a government minister says.

Maybe so, but I'd trust a Canadian one over an Irish one any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭marymc

You have alot to learn about Vancouver, and Canada in General, get used to coming across people who don't speak English, not even a word of it, I worked for a cabinet making workshop last year where the people spoke Punjabi, Chinese or Tagalog(Filipino) with little to no English, you'll get frustrated but used to it after awhile.
    I don't understand how you find the buses confusing, very easy to find your way from A to B.

It's not my first time here by any means, but it's my first time living here, and I've never come across so many non-English speakers on this continent before. I'm hardly even speaking it myself at this stage.

I don't like buses. They never bring me to the right place. The worst buses in the world are in Dublin, and I have a hang up about them since. Have you tried to work the bike rack on any of them here? Is it hard?

marymc wrote: »
    It's not my first time here by any means, but it's my first time living here, and I've never come across so many non-English speakers on this continent before. I'm hardly even speaking it myself at this stage.

I don't like buses. They never bring me to the right place. The worst buses in the world are in Dublin, and I have a hang up about them since. Have you tried to work the bike rack on any of them here? Is it hard?

Not hard at all, check out this video, it's from Oregon but it's the same system here.

Chet Zar wrote: »
    Maybe so, but I'd trust a Canadian one over an Irish one any day.

When you live here you will see that the Canadians are just as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

When you live here you will see that the Canadians are just as bad.

Two words, Gordon Campbell.

Does anyone know if there is currently a waiting list for the under 35 visa? Also what other types of working visas are available?

Does anyone know if I register now will I be put onto a waiting list?

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Two words, Gordon Campbell.

A face you just want to punch.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ogriofa

A face you just want to punch.

Woe, just looked him up on wikipedia. Haven't heard him speak, don't know his policies, I have no idea what his favourite band is, but yes, I would love to punch that guy in the face!

Also, just so people know. I looked up voting in Irish elections from Abroad... we can't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

ogriofa wrote: »
    Woe, just looked him up on wikipedia. Haven't heard him speak, don't know his policies, I have no idea what his favourite band is, but yes, I would love to punch that guy in the face!

Also, just so people know. I looked up voting in Irish elections from Abroad... we can't

Sorry but this is one thing Im looking forward to escaping from! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Nevermind USIT contacted me. What's the story with banks and social security number when you get over there?

Does anyone know if I register now will I be put onto a waiting list?

Yeah, you should be. And you should get a tracking number that you can check on online, until a space clears for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cosmicsurfer

Hey guys and gals, I'm a 24 year old guy who will be travelling over to vancouver on my own with a usit student work visa on september the 20th! I'm just wondering if anyone is traveling on or around that date and are in the same boat as me (ie. looking for a job, a place to stay and any contacts they can find!) feel free to PM me. Or If you're already established and settled and you know of a room going up for rent I'd much applicate it if you'd let me know!

Nope, no waiting list. Waiting on the e-mail with all the forums now

All my documents have gone to the canadian embassy since the 30th of aug.I want to sort tickets as soon as possible while i have the money.Would it be safe to book the tickets for the end of october as they say it takes 6-8 weeks to get visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cosmicsurfer

Hey Guys! I'm a 24 year old guy who will be traveling to Vancouver on the 20th of september. I will be going on the USIT student work visa and am traveling on my own so as you can imagine i'm very keen to pick up any tips I can find! Also if you are traveling on or around the same date and are looking for a contact in the city feel free to PM me and we could be each other's contact! If you are already established and know of any jobs/ rooms for rent going I'd be very grateful if you could pass on that info to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ladd19

Hi all, heading to Vancouver at the end of October, I can't wait to get out of here!! After reading the posts above I must say I'm getting really nervous about the job situation over there, I was one of the ignorant people who thought there were jobs to spare. I just hope it works out.

Good luck to everyone else heading over !!!!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭jimmypitt

Only here a week and i can confirm there plenty of jobs in Vancouver!! Plenty of labouring,landscaping work for the lads. I see a lot of shops hiring too. Most of the Irish i have met have simply turned up their noses at these jobs but there certainly is work if you are willing to do anything. Not too sure about professional jobs but i plan to look into that this week!

Professional situation is not so good. Stores are hiring left, right and centre though. Metropolis and The Bay have hiring fairs everyday this week, I think... (I haven't looked into the "man stuff" much myself ;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 feeneyo

dellboyot wrote: »
    There is a shortage of electricians in Canada at the moment so i decided to go on line, i got through to this agency that sorts out a visa that gives you full residency, it can take up-to 12months for it to go through. This agency is in killkenny and quoted me 4000euro for me and my wife. If i had 4000euro i wouldn't have to go to Canada for work!!!

i'm guessing you are a sparky too.... like me.. was planning on giving canada a go maybe in feb or march. i have worked as a spark abroad since 2005 in a few countries and to work above board you need to change your electrical papers over to the hosts standards or do some expensive exams....
    do you know if the same applies to canada or have you heard anything about this?

Advertisement