Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Is there any particular reason that nobody seems to be going to Montreal in this thread? Or is it just me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭greenteaicedtea

I've barely met anyone who can speak English fluently, which is a bit of a land considering that I'm supposed to be still in North feckin America.

Well, that's what most large cities in Canada are like now.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/838085--all-immigrants-face-mandatory-language-test

They are going to start having ALL immigrants do an English proficiency test, regardless if their mother tongue is English or not. I think they are trying to weed out people who say they speak it, but their proficiency level is not high enough to get along well at a job.

So I dunno if Canada will stay that way forever, with tons of non-English speaking immigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭marymc

Is there any particular reason that nobody seems to be going to Montreal in this thread? Or is it just me :D

I started in Montreal. It was lovely. :) Very easy to get around too, coz the metro is excellent. And they're so much nicer than the French with regard to speaking English (I know it's a different situation, but it's a nice change).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 journeymannow

hi jimmy,

Do you know the name of any companies or agencies taking on labourers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭fire_man

Anyone know anything about causal jobs in Toronto,Are they easy to pick up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

ogriofa wrote: »
    Woe, just looked him up on wikipedia. Haven't heard him speak, don't know his policies, I have no idea what his favourite band is, but yes, I would love to punch that guy in the face!

Also, just so people know. I looked up voting in Irish elections from Abroad... we can't

He was kicked out of the 3rd Reich for being too extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ogriofa

Looking for short term accom. I'll do the hostel bit if I have to (done it before, not a big fan),
    but Id like to stay in a self catering apt(?) for a coupla weeks.
    Willing to pay around CA$800 pm

Any ideas from the people that have set up there?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭jimmypitt

hi jimmy,

Do you know the name of any companies or agencies taking on labourers?

I don't man sorry! I am only hear a week but a buddy got me a labouring job for the week - 17 dollars an hour - not bad. My buddy is getting landscaping/labouring jobs all the time thru craiglist(he's gone though about 40 jobs over the summer). Just feed them them any crap that you are a carpenter or something - they will only take you on as a general labourer anyway. I doubt it is the most pleasant work, but it keeps the dollars coming in while i look for a professional job. Have to get up in the morning at 5 - ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭tommy26

I was just qouted 1095 euro by usit for flights and insurance for next month,is it worth the hassle of going with someone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 journeymannow

jimmypitt wrote: »
    I don't man sorry! I am only hear a week but a buddy got me a labouring job for the week - 17 dollars an hour - not bad. My buddy is getting landscaping/labouring jobs all the time thru craiglist(he's gone though about 40 jobs over the summer). Just feed them them any crap that you are a carpenter or something - they will only take you on as a general labourer anyway. I doubt it is the most pleasant work, but it keeps the dollars coming in while i look for a professional job. Have to get up in the morning at 5 - ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Nothin wrong with a little unpleasent work if it keeps the lager in the paw come saturday night. Craigslist seems to be a good spot alright for the general labouring jobs. Thanks for that. i suppose it's a good idea to spin a tall tale or two about the profession back in the home land. Reckon i'll go with blocklayer myself

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

tommy26 wrote: »
    I was just qouted 1095 euro by usit for flights and insurance for next month,is it worth the hassle of going with someone else?

It's not really any hassle. Price around. Might be pricier if the flights are only in a months time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

It's not really any hassle. Price around. Might be pricier if the flights are only in a months time though.

And check out stuff like what airlines charge to change a flight, I know usit offered me a free change. In fairness USITS insurance package is fairly comprehensive aswell although a little pricey.

Places must be running out, the price has gone from 419 to 439!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭iliketeaandcake

go with that. its worth the peace of mind knowing you can change your flights without extra charges. i know a lot of people give out about usit but in fairness you can just ring them up or email and they sort it out for you. for the sake of 100 euro difference or whatever its the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

go with that. its worth the peace of mind knowing you can change your flights without extra charges. i know a lot of people give out about usit but in fairness you can just ring them up or email and they sort it out for you. for the sake of 100 euro difference or whatever its the job.

I found usit to be grand too. I booked with usit and had to change my flights recently and it didn't cost a penny. I just emailed them my new date and they took care of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

They get a battering on this forum but it's usually just down to people not bothering to read their FAQs properly...I'm sure there are some justified complaints here and there or people get confused etc...but I'd rather have USIT at the other end of the phone when/if you need to change your flight, rather than some faceless airline.

Nothin wrong with a little unpleasent work if it keeps the lager in the paw come saturday night. Craigslist seems to be a good spot alright for the general labouring jobs. Thanks for that. i suppose it's a good idea to spin a tall tale or two about the profession back in the home land. Reckon i'll go with blocklayer myself

Just made 410 dollars in the last two days - did two 12 hour shifts. Cushy number. Didn't know what i was up too but they asked me back next week for another shift next week - another 200 dollars. It seems they can't get people to turn up for these jobs. Have a few days off in which i can apply for professional work and then go back and earn another 200 dollars - all working out very handy to be honest.

My one recommendation is just feed them any crap - give them a completely fake Resume - as long as you turn up not high or drunk you should be fine. Best of luck.

Just made 410 dollars in the last two days - did two 12 hour shifts. Cushy number. Didn't know what i was up too but they asked me back next week for another shift next week - another 200 dollars. It seems they can't get people to turn up for these jobs. Have a few days off in which i can apply for professional work and then go back and earn another 200 dollars - all working out very handy to be honest.
    So the question is, what is the job and howd you get it?
    Ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Reney

All my documents have gone to the canadian embassy since the 30th of aug.I want to sort tickets as soon as possible while i have the money.Would it be safe to book the tickets for the end of october as they say it takes 6-8 weeks to get visa.

All my documents went to Canada around August 20th and I'm praying I get my visa through in 6-8 weeks as I want to get out there by first week in November at the latest before ski season starts. I'm holding off booking flights etc until I have my visa in hand as I've heard a couple of stories about visa's taking a lot longer (just hoping this isn't the case) but 6-8 weeks is the minimum processing time. When are you planning on heading out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭tommy26

I was hoping to go around the middle of october,the waiting is killing me.What city are you going to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭MJRS

I got my visa in under 3 weeks, you should be ok!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Reney

3 weeks? That's great, I will be absolutely delighted if mine comes through so quick as I need to hand in my notice at work over the next couple of weeks and terrirfied I'll be without job and visa! When did you apply for yours MJRS? I'm planning to fly into Vancouver and head straight up to Whistler for the first week of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭MJRS

Submitted my police cert and forms in the middle of August, I was shocked I got the visa so quick, but two of my friends submitted the same day as me and they have theirs! There's still on guy waiting on his though..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭fire_man

Just wondering what documents i need to bring to canadai.e,for setting up bank account,getting social insurance number,etc.Should i bring college results?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 LS92109

Does anyone know why the price has gone up??

• Registered Users Posts: 23 LS92109

Thinking of applying for the U35 visa myself, but just wondering for anyone who's already gone how much roughly would you need to get started off over there?

ogriofa wrote: »
    So the question is, what is the job and howd you get it?
    Ta

General labourer/General dog's body! Was painting and lifting crap - nothing heavy or technical at all. Twas grand for the two days. Will do another day next Monday.

Buddy applied for job thru Craiglist, told them i was available and then i just turned up. Buddy was actually caught sleeping in the toilet and we were still paid, nothing was said and they actually asked us to come back next week!! Basically no one will do the work as most people wont turn up or else or high (seems to be a problem over here). Tis grand for the time being like to be earning a few dollars. Earned more over here in 2 days than i did for the last year in Ireland! Applying for professional work now and I'll let yee know how that goes.

General labourer/General dog's body! Was painting and lifting crap - nothing heavy or technical at all. Twas grand for the two days. Will do another day next Monday.

Buddy applied for job thru Craiglist, told them i was available and then i just turned up. Buddy was actually caught sleeping in the toilet and we were still paid, nothing was said and they actually asked us to come back next week!! Basically no one will do the work as most people wont turn up or else or high (seems to be a problem over here). Tis grand for the time being like to be earning a few dollars. Earned more over here in 2 days than i did for the last year in Ireland! Applying for professional work now and I'll let yee know how that goes.

Fair play! Good attitude there. I'll have a look at that sorta stuff myself.
    As you say, just to get a few bucks in early on.
    Ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Kiwi Chick

popup.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Kiwi Chick

So I applied for the Student programme on 31st August, sent off my application today. Anyone who has applied recently get an email off USIT about booking flights before 30th September?

Advertisement