Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭tommy26

ya i have my documents gone since the 30th and i got that email today.I sent them an email about this so waiting for a responce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Got that email today too.... I reckon they sent it to all on the mailing list :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Reney

Got a phonecall from USIT earlier about this, regardless of whether you have your visa or not, you have to have your travel arrangements sorted by end of September. The only circumstances where this is not a requirement is if you have a criminal record or medical cert requirement which might cause your visa to take longer to process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Reney wrote: »
    Got a phonecall from USIT earlier about this, regardless of whether you have your visa or not, you have to have your travel arrangements sorted by end of September. The only circumstances where this is not a requirement is if you have a criminal record or medical cert requirement which might cause your visa to take longer to process.

This is fair enough I guess.
    Usit administer the programme. Once you pay your fee your place is reserved. Only people who aren't eligible but are thinking of applying anyway, or have a shady past and run-ins with the cops should worry about not getting a work permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    This is fair enough I guess.
    Usit administer the programme. Once you pay your fee your place is reserved. Only people who aren't eligible but are thinking of applying anyway, or have a shady past and run-ins with the cops should worry about not getting a work permit.

It's pretty confusing when they email people heading out with travel arrangements already confirmed with them - as in me, heading out tomorrow! I arranged my flights with them so figure I'm ok!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭myleftfoot

All my documents went to Canada around August 20th and I'm praying I get my visa through in 6-8 weeks as I want to get out there by first week in November at the latest before ski season starts. I'm holding off booking flights etc until I have my visa in hand as I've heard a couple of stories about visa's taking a lot longer (just hoping this isn't the case) but 6-8 weeks is the minimum processing time. When are you planning on heading out there?

My stuff has been with them since the 7th of ****ing July, and it still ****ing pending. I've flights booked for 20th October but I'm not that confident.

Chet Zar wrote: »
    It's pretty confusing when they email people heading out with travel arrangements already confirmed with them - as in me, heading out tomorrow! I arranged my flights with them so figure I'm ok!!

oh i see what you mean. I got the email too
    you'd wonder why they couldn't do a simple mailmerge.
    Their system identifies who has provided their flight info and it would have been so easy to leave these people out of the mailing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Im heading in a week... best of luck Chet Zar and make sure you keep us updated with any tips and recommendations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Im heading in a week... best of luck Chet Zar and make sure you keep us updated with any tips and recommendations :)

Fo sho! Cheers, that's right, I was gonna PM you actually, must arrange a Boards beers! :)

myleftfoot wrote: »
    My stuff has been with them since the 7th of ****ing July, and it still ****ing pending. I've flights booked for 20th October but I'm not that confident.

Aw that's rubbish, any explanation from USIT for the delay? I was chatting to a guy in there today after that email came through about the September 30th deadline, I was asking if I should go ahead and book my flights for first week in Novemeber even though I haven't got the visa and he said I should have it through by then and should be safe enough to go ahead and book flights. I'll probably hold off for another couple of weeks anyway just to be on the safe side. Fingers crossed you'll get yours in the next week or two, let me know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ogriofa

Hay there, Id ring them, tomorow!
    I too got mine within a few weeks. USIT arent great to be honest, if you follow up and find a problem at least you can start working on it now.
    Do call them asap though
    G'luck

Places must be running out, the price has gone from 419 to 439!

i think it was 409 when i applied.
    it's understandable though. they'll need to take on more staff, they will incur more admin expenses from scurrying around helping ppl applying at the last minute, and it may also stop people from applying at the last minute in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Fo sho! Cheers, that's right, I was gonna PM you actually, must arrange a Boards beers! :)

I'm living up in North Van at the moment and working the slopes for the winter season. I'm on for boards beers Vancouver style.

Where and When? That's all I need to know :D

dceire wrote: »
    I'm living up in North Van at the moment and working the slopes for the winter season. I'm on for boards beers Vancouver style.

Where and When? That's all I need to know :D

Hey what work are you doing on the slopes and is there much going in the ski resorts? I'm heading over early November to work ski season but hoping to work in the evenings so I can ski during the day, is there much in the way of bar/restaurant work going in the resorts?

ogriofa wrote: »
    Hay there, Id ring them, tomorow!
    I too got mine within a few weeks. USIT arent great to be honest, if you follow up and find a problem at least you can start working on it now.
    Do call them asap though
    G'luck

I'm constantly onto them, they said a lucky few got them in under a month but there is nothing strange about my processing time. My concerns have been sent to the almighty Canadian Visa Team. However, they still expect me to pay 1000 euro for my flights within a week. USIT great eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Hey what work are you doing on the slopes and is there much going in the ski resorts? I'm heading over early November to work ski season but hoping to work in the evenings so I can ski during the day, is there much in the way of bar/restaurant work going in the resorts?

Not much happening at the moment although most places are hiring for the winter season now. I started just over a week ago working the ski lifts('scenic lifts' at the moment :D) on Grouse Mountain. I've about another months work before the summer season ends. Then there is a transition period where they prepare for the ski season and basically wait for the snow to come. If we're lucky it'll be November, if not then December. Either way I'm preparing myself for no work for a month or two. The money isn't great but it's an experience and the benefits aren't bad, especially the free pass to the slopes.

I'm not sure about other resorts but there are a wide variety of positions available on grouse. From retail, bar/restaurant work to mountain crew and lift ops. Check out their website and the website of any of the other resorts because they are accepting applications for the winter season now. We were told last week that they just hired over 50 people from NZ & OZ for the winter season :eek:, although whistler is supposed to be run by them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

However, they still expect me to pay 1000 euro for my flights within a week. USIT great eh?

Really? Will they not take a deposit? When I was going they took a deposit and I didn't have to pay until close to the time I was flying.

Can you visit the US with this visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

Booking the visas asap with the GF and hope to be in Toronto start of Nov or as close as possible.

Can you visit the US with this visa?

of course not.

• Advertisement

Really? Will they not take a deposit? When I was going they took a deposit and I didn't have to pay until close to the time I was flying.

They've taken my deposit, they just want the rest in a week.

It should be noted tho that my direct contact there (appears) quite helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 echos

Hey guys, im currently in Calgary, moved over last friday, on my own so far. need to find a job very soon tho.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

echos wrote: »
    Hey guys, im currently in Calgary, moved over last friday, on my own so far. need to find a job very soon tho.....

Chin up Echos... you'll be working soon and saying Eh at the end of your sentences before you know it... eh. :D

Dont get homesick anyone... still same here, raining and unemployed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Kiwi Chick

Anyone know why USIT needs people to submit their travel plans to them? Is it some legaL requirement by the Canadian High Commission. Plus USIT charging E300 for checking over paperwork is another example of Rip off Ireland. Amazing how people wanting a WHV for Australia or NZ can go online to the Immigration website of those countries and apply for 125/60E for those respective visas.:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Kiwi Chick wrote: »
    Plus USIT charging E300 for checking over paperwork is another example of Rip off Ireland.

What are you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Kiwi Chick

What are you on about?
    Well it is not rocket science. 409e programme fee. E100 goes towards some Canadian govt iniative fund thingy, that leaves 300E. Plus last year the programme was somewhere in the region of E500. The applicant fills out all the paperwork and submits all required documentation which USIT checks over before forwarding it on to London, I just sont see the justification of charging 300E for such a task.

Im a little confused what is the first step ?

Do i apply via the website form or do i need to have flights booked before i take this step ?

tipp86 wrote: »
    Im a little confused what is the first step ?

Do i apply via the website form or do i need to have flights booked before i take this step ?

apply on the website.
    wait until they phone you to take your payment.. that will basically hold your place.

When you have all your other requirements together including a passport that will be in date the full time you're away, and your police cert, you can go ahead and book your flights. Personally I wouldn't pay for flights until I had the police cert in case they didn't get it back to you on time. (Mine only took a week in the local garda station, although I had to keep phoning them because they sent it to the wrong person the first time)

Also, it can take up to 8 weeks to get your work permit so make sure your flights are booked well ahead, or at least that your flights are flexible or booked through usit.

If you have health issues or a shady background you shouldn't book your flights until you find out you'll definitely be offered a place. Phone usit if you have any queries.

You only have until 30th September to get in ALL your requirements including flights and travel insurance.

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    apply on the website.
    wait until they phone you to take your payment.. that will basically hold your place.

When you have all your other requirements together including a passport that will be in date the full time you're away, and your police cert, you can go ahead and book your flights. Personally I wouldn't pay for flights until I had the police cert in case they didn't get it back to you on time. (Mine only took a week in the local garda station, although I had to keep phoning them because they sent it to the wrong person the first time)

Also, it can take up to 8 weeks to get your work permit so make sure your flights are booked well ahead, or at least that your flights are flexible or booked through usit.

If you have health issues or a shady background you shouldn't book your flights until you find out you'll definitely be offered a place. Phone usit if you have any queries.

You only have until 30th September to get in ALL your requirements including flights and travel insurance.

Ok ive decided im not getting the work visa ! The GF will ! How do i go about police cert for her where are the forms ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭tommy26

You can get the forms at any garda station.if you know some garda working at the station they might be able to hurry it up for you.

Advertisement