Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭i_love_toast

hows it going just a few questions on the Canadian 12 month visa.

firstly, does anyone know when the 2011 programme should be opening. I was hoping to head over around the end of january 2011 however i see that that falls into the 2010 programme time frame. And now im in a dilema to get everything sorted before 30th september or wait until the 2011 programme starts up. Does anyone know when it does??

Also, I'm trying to check prices of flights on the usit website but i cant find any Canadian cities that they fly to?? do you have to book your flights with usit or can you book them yourself through other sites?

and lastly, do once you fill out the online form and give your bank details do usit automatically deduct the the 439e programme fee from your account to hold you a place?is there any chance of getting this back if something happens and you cant go and change your mind in the next few weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

Ok i have police certs sent in ! I assume the next step is wait for that to come back ?

The n i assume i pay the €439 fee and they send me the application form ? I assume then i book the flights and return the application form ?

God my heads wrecked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭chargerman

Hey guys,
    I moved to Toronto 4 months ago. I came on my own and I know how hard it can be. Toronto is a great city - always something to do.The Irish community are good here with regular pub and social events. The city is very big and can be expensive. If you want to know anything, send me a private message and I will give as much help as I can. Best of luck in travelling

YES you can!!! I arrived here on the U35 visa to Toronto and I was allowed across the border into the U.S.. When you enter the U.S you get a 90 day holiday visa (you are a visitor and can not work). When you leave the states you give back the U.S visa which was stapled to your passport upon entering the country. It costs $8 dollars. From Toronto it is a 2 hour bus journey if you go via Niagara Falls.
    tenchi-fan wrote: »
    of course not.

Hey guys,
    I notice on boards most of the messages are from people before they go to Canada. I arrived in Toronto 4 months ago. If anyone needs advice or help with anything just send me a private message and I will do my best to help. I came solo so I know what its like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

of course not.

I presume you were being sarcastic there or...? :confused:

If not then of course you can, why on earth would you not be able to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Chet Zar wrote: »
    I presume you were being sarcastic there or...? :confused:

If not then of course you can, why on earth would you not be able to.

The question was can you visit the US with this (Canadian) visa. The Canadian visa has nothing to do with entering the US.

There's another visa to arrange for the US. It's not hard but I wouldn't wander up to US immigration with a Canadian visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭jimmybeige

Hi,
    the website currently says that if you apply after Sep 1st you need to have all the documentation back to USIT within 10 days. Does this mean getting Garda clearance with 10 days? Could it take longer?

Just wondering what you need to have done within those 10 days? It doesn't sound like a lot of time. What documentation is required within that timeframe exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 marti4

Hi,

Just wondering whether Toronto or Vancouver would be better to find work!? Does anyone know if there is much construction work in Toronto at the moment. PM me if anyone has any info. Cheers !!!

Hi, Need to book my flights to Canada this week, would you recommend Toronto or Vancouver? Which is best for getting work asap!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

The question was can you visit the US with this (Canadian) visa. The Canadian visa has nothing to do with entering the US.

There's another visa to arrange for the US. It's not hard but I wouldn't wander up to US immigration with a Canadian visa.

Exactly! I answered a silly question with a silly answer.
    Canada and the US are separate countries after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 journeymannow

echos wrote: »
    Hey guys, im currently in Calgary, moved over last friday, on my own so far. need to find a job very soon tho.....

hey echos,

how are you finding it there

Travelling solo myself. Have been in vancouver a week but don`t think job prospects are great for my line of work. I`m in the construction game and i hear calgary and edmonton have plenty going on right now.

Going to give it another small while here, then i`ll pack my bags and head for toronto or calgary. any info or advice appreciated

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭iliketeaandcake

Kiwi Chick wrote: »
    Anyone know why USIT needs people to submit their travel plans to them? Is it some legaL requirement by the Canadian High Commission. Plus USIT charging E300 for checking over paperwork is another example of Rip off Ireland. Amazing how people wanting a WHV for Australia or NZ can go online to the Immigration website of those countries and apply for 125/60E for those respective visas.:rolleyes:

USIT are the only company you can go through to get your Canada visa unless you go over to the embassy in London and sort it out yourself, which for most people isn't an option. So they can pretty much charge what they like.

USIT are the only company you can go through to get your Canada visa unless you go over to the embassy in London and sort it out yourself, which for most people isn't an option. So they can pretty much charge what they like.

I think you might be wrong on this one.
    Usit administer the whv visa in ireland. Bunac administer it in the UK.
    There are other types of visa which you can get direct from the embassy but they are not the same as usit's visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 echos

Hi journeymannow,

I am not too sure about the construction industry. I believe Calgary and Edmonton can get pretty cold in the Winter. I mostly went to Calgary as i felt the job prospects would be better, as most people on Visas go to Vancover/Toronto. I am in the engineering field, and oil and gas is a big industry here. Calgary seems to be more industralised than Edmonton but i could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭myleftfoot

For people who have received their U35 visa, how far into your application process did you receive an email saying you've been registered with SWAP?

For people who have received their U35 visa, how far into your application process did you receive an email saying you've been registered with SWAP?

myleftfoot wrote: »

don't post the same message twice

Let's not digress here but there are 2 threads about the same thing so just covering bases.

whats your problem....

• Advertisement

whats your problem....

take your beak out of it

I just asked myleftfoot not to post the same message in different threads because it's pretty annoying for contributors and against the rules of boards.

take your beak out of it

I just asked myleftfoot not to post the same message in different threads because it's pretty annoying for contributors and against the rules of boards.

all i am saying is relax. i will take my "beak" out of it from now on

all i am saying is relax. i will take my "beak" out of it from now on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 journeymannow

Thanks for that echos. Hear it gets pretty cold up there alright come the winter season. i'll pack the mittens. Am a civil engineer myself and heard there's quite a few construction companies and consultancies up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Kiwi Chick

take your beak out of it

I suppose you are one of those posters that runs off to mods anytime you don't agree with what someone posts. That poster posted the question in 2 different threads as not everyone is going to Canada on the U35 visa. You sound like a highly strung individual if you are getting rattled by what someone posts on an internet message board.

Run off there and complain me to admin! :eek:

Kiwi Chick wrote: »
    I suppose you are one of those posters that runs off to mods anytime you don't agree with what someone posts. That poster posted the question in 2 different threads as not everyone is going to Canada on the U35 visa. You sound like a highly strung individual if you are getting rattled by what someone posts on an internet message board.

Run off there and complain me to admin! :eek:

i didn't complain at all. i think some ppl in here are just reading my post with a lot more aggression than i intended. you included.

its just pointless people posting the same question multiple times because if it's posted in the right place the first time it will be answered!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ogriofa

sorry, this is a realitvely valuable thread, can we remove the rubbish the last bit of rubbish please? Im going to stop following this thread
    Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Let's forget that nonsense and move on lads - this thread got to well over 600 replies without any of the usual rubbish that you see on boards.ie. This forum is like an offshoot of the main site, nice and tranquil and chilled :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Kiwi Chick

How much have people paid for their flights to Canada? I got a return flight quote from Usit for E699. Looking at Air Transat website, I can get a one way flight to Toronto from Gatwick for £179. British Airways have a sale on at the moment and I can get a return for E460. Is it worth it to pay extra for the flexibility with USIT?

• Advertisement

Aerlingus flights are around 520euro return. I would go with Air Transat if your 100% sure you won't be changing dates cause you will end up loosing a lot check there T&C's to be sure.

Advertisement