Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    nope!

hey sound i wasn't sure if it shows or not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Kiwi Chick wrote: »
    popup.png

Would I be too late to apply for this now ie. would I have everything ready in time like travel information and stuff. Do I have to wait for my flight tickets to be sent out and then forward them to USIT. Do most people that apply get them? I read on this thread that someone was on line at 9am with thier credit card (like ticketmaster). What was that about? I don't plan on going until Janurary, but I'll have until 31st Jan to go with this programme anyway. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭goldjogger

Hey boardies,

I am here in Newfoundland, just wondering is there anyone else here or coming here soon, I am in St Johns?????

Not sure what the word on the street is about Newfoundland but from what I have seen there is plenty of work to be had, bit of a construction boom going on at the moment and I was in the avalon mall today and noticed alot of signs up looking for workers, might be an alternative for some of ye. I got offered a job without even looking for one.

Anyways if yer here in st johns or know of anyone let me know, I dont know that many yet!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 oswaldo

Ive decided i want to go to toronto as soon as possible and im looking into it now but so much going on.

Usit want me to buy everything.

Im 32 and a barman so no problems doing ****e work over there.

should i apply for a visa now or should i wait until january or something.

I just dont know where to start with the forms and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 westernventure

gustafo wrote: »
    But wont it show on my police clearance cert that i will need to get from the gardai ??

No you will be fine i had a drink driving conviction and it didn't show on my police clearance, but before i got the police clearance i asked usit and they told not to apply for the visa because i wont get it, then i got the police clearance and sent it off and got the visa, usit are some pack of dopes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 kallstrom86

So I got my visa and other forms emailed to me. Anyone know how long before USIT send out the flight tickets? Due to fly in 4 weeks time.

No you will be fine i had a drink driving conviction and it didn't show on my police clearance, but before i got the police clearance i asked usit and they told not to apply for the visa because i wont get it, then i got the police clearance and sent it off and got the visa, usit are some pack of dopes

well this is what they sent me back when i e-mailed them,

Dear Alan

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, this will have an effect on your application. Canada and most other countries view drink driving as a criminal offence. All applicants with this on their record that have applied for the Programme have been rejected. You may choose to proceed with an application. Please note if you choose to apply you will need to provide the following additional documentation;
    a personal statement regarding the circumstance leading up to the arrest, the arrest itself and the events and circumstances since your arrest and conviction.
    court statements for the incident
    police certificates from every country that you have lived in for 6 months or more since turning 18.
    If you wish to proceed with your application a majority of the fees you have paid will be non-refundable even if you are rejected. If you are rejected you will also be barred from entering Canada as a tourist.
    You may be eligible to apply for Criminal Rehabilitation. If you wish to try this, you will need to submit the application for Criminal rehabilitation and the relevant fees with your normal application to USIT. information on Criminal rehabilitation can be found here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/rehabil.asp
    Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us via this email address.

Kind regards
    Work Canada Team
    USIT Programmes Department
    19/21 Aston Quay
    O'Connell Bridge
    Dublin 2
    Ireland

http://canada.usit.ie

So don't really know what to do now, if i apply for it and don't get it i will lose the money, some load of crap for a mistake that happened years ago

ahh well thats life i suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

well this is what they sent me back when i e-mailed them,

Dear Alan

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, this will have an effect on your application. Canada and most other countries view drink driving as a criminal offence. All applicants with this on their record that have applied for the Programme have been rejected.

---

So don't really know what to do now, if i apply for it and don't get it i will lose the money, some load of crap for a mistake that happened years ago

ahh well thats life i suppose

Dear Alan

I have a conviction for drink driving, my licence was endorsed, I didn't disclose it on my application (because they didn't ask!) and the guards did not disclose it on their background check. Their check only lists details of criminal offences in Ireland and is not a character reference. I think you would be very foolish to disclose it on your application unless specifically asked. Do you want to tell them you smoked hash in amsterdam while you're at it?

Usit are not legal experts. If you do apply to usit again make sure you use a different email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

USIT are complete ****ing ****. They send me this email a half an hour ago;
    YOUR WORK CANADA APPLICATION IS NOW ON A CANCELLATION LIST.

Despite numerous attempts to contact you by phone and email, you have still not provided USIT with your flight and/or insurance details. Following the Canadian High Commission processing deadline of 30th September, please note you must also provide us with your flights and/or insurance booking details no later than 6pm on 30th September to complete your programme application and comply with Programme Sponsor rules. This is not a USIT rule.

Failure to contact us by 6pm this Thursday, 30th September 2010, will result in your place on the programme being cancelled.

Kind regards,

This is despite me having all relevant documentation to them since 8th September. They haven't attempted to call or email once in the past week despite claiming so.

How am I supposed to book flights when I don't even know when my visa will be issued? Doesn't the USIT website now say 20th October?

Jesus, I'm ****ing furious. I'm going to bollock them tomorrow. :mad:

fat__tony wrote: »
    How am I supposed to book flights when I don't even know when my visa will be issued? Doesn't the USIT website now say 20th October?

They seem to have changed their rules.. I think they used to require you to submit your flight and insurance details within 7 days of the visa being issued.. how it's 30 days after applying for the visa. It depends on when you applied.

If you don't have any criminal record or health issues you are required to submit your flight and insurance details whether your visa has been issued yet or not.

• Advertisement

They seem to have changed their rules.. I think they used to require you to submit your flight and insurance details within 7 days of the visa being issued.. how it's 30 days after applying for the visa. It depends on when you applied.

If you don't have any criminal record or health issues you are required to submit your flight and insurance details whether your visa has been issued yet or not.

I think I'm more angry with the snotty Cancellation email they sent to me.

Can you recommend any places which does flights and insurance packages?

I'm still puzzled with the flights and insurance though, what if you book your flight on a certain date (say 22nd October) and the visa still hasn't arrived, what happens then?

Yet more money been squeezed out of me, thats what.

Dear Alan

I have a conviction for drink driving, my licence was endorsed, I didn't disclose it on my application (because they didn't ask!) and the guards did not disclose it on their background check. Their check only lists details of criminal offences in Ireland and is not a character reference. I think you would be very foolish to disclose it on your application unless specifically asked. Do you want to tell them you smoked hash in amsterdam while you're at it?

Usit are not legal experts. If you do apply to usit again make sure you use a different email address.

Thanks tenchi-fan thats what i'm going to do, its seriously been wrecking my head so as you said if they don't ask for it don't disclose it,

ill get the ball rolling so

Thanks again

Thanks tenchi-fan thats what i'm going to do, its seriously been wrecking my head so as you said if they don't ask for it don't disclose it,

ill get the ball rolling so

Thanks again

do you actually have your garda cert yet?
    I wouldn't apply for usit at this late stage without it! All requirements including flights, insurance and police certs need to be sent in by the end of the month to fly out by Jan 2011.
    Otherwise wait until the 2011 programme opens next january.

@fat__tony . i wouldn't book a flight that soon. It's a bit risky as you cannot enter canada without the visa.

do you actually have your garda cert yet?
    I wouldn't apply for usit at this late stage without it! All requirements including flights, insurance and police certs need to be sent in by the end of the month to fly out by Jan 2011.
    Otherwise wait until the 2011 programme opens next january.

@fat__tony . i wouldn't book a flight that soon. It's a bit risky as you cannot enter canada without the visa.

Exactly!!!

It makes no bloody sense booking a flight now.

If they emailed to tell me that my visa will be approved next week then great, ill book the flights straight away.

How do you suggest I deal with this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mazzersmhanno

USIT are complete ****ing ****. They send me this email a half an hour ago;

This is despite me having all relevant documentation to them since 8th September. They haven't attempted to call or email once in the past week despite claiming so.

Jesus, I'm ****ing furious. I'm going to bollock them tomorrow. :mad:
    i got the cancellation text message and email too. its also the first ive heard from them since actually booking my flight and insurance over the phone with usit a couple of months ago. i thought that was providing them with my details as it was them i booked it with and paid a deposit. my friend who only applied 2 weeks ago and who only submitted her paperwork last week and hasnt been approved yet also got the same text message and email. when i spoke to the guy on the phone he said it was all booked and he would contact me in october for the rest of the payment. im up the walls here as i dont know whats going on. has anyone any idea??

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Sheebs

My boyfriend and I both got the text and email there today at about half6 this evening even though we already put a deposit on our flights and insurance with USIT at the beginning of August.

They don't know what they're on about do they?! I was planning on ringing them to pay the rest of the flight and insurance money in the next few days, don't need them trying to scare me like this!!

i know.im after getting a fright here too.ive had it booked with the deposit paid since about june or july. it must be a **** up on their part. and then they email ya at 7 in the night when ya cant even contact anyone till tommorow.im fairly clueless at the whole process but i would have thought actually booking my flights and insurance with them would have been automatically providing them with my details and added into my application. their phones will be hopping tomorrow :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 t is for tommo

Just applied today, on a waiting list, I was fine with that until they sent me the cancellation message and email at 6:30pm (conveniently after office hours). I am obviously in the same boat as many others here as far as booking flights and not knowing when or even if (in my case) a visa will be granted. I have emailed them this evening but they probably won't respond for a couple of days which is nearly the 30th of September anyway.
    Surely they expected this reaction, surely they could have provided some info for people still waiting for their visas in the email they sent out.
    I will be trying to ring them first thing in the morning too. Any info people get though, it would be good to see it up here. All a bit confusing!

was just talkin it over with my friend who went through the process 5yrs ago and we reckon its either a mass email sent to scare the money out of people.or its an email that was only meant to be sent to a select few but was sent to all by accident. either way its not good enough to be receiving those kind of emails after their working hours when you cant even sort it out with them straight away. they have a bit of a cheek marking it urgent and asking you to contact them urgently between 9am and 6.30 the next day!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sonyz1

USIT are complete chancres and liars, they have done this for ages now, because they have a monopoly. They have done it to my friends as well. I've been contact several times with bogus deadlines saying I must book ASAP - They hassle people into booking there flights/insurance with them.

You will notice every time they have a bogus deadline its like pay with in 7 days or lose your place on the visa list or if you dont book your flights/insurance by X date your visa will be put on a cancelation list. Once you pay USIT 405euro for the visa (By the way thats a complete rip off it should cost 95euro). USIT then start badgering customers to book flights/insurance with several bogus deadlines both by email and calls - They say that the deadlines are from the Canadian embassy and not USIT (Not True). After having several phone call they eventually told me the truth that they wanted to pass the arrival date onto SWAP a sister company in canada which basically gives people arriving basic advice on jobs/bank details etc, Nothing to do with the canadian embassy.

The only way they will stop doing this is if people complain, if your not happy please email the canadian embassy with your USIT experience:

hilary.knight@international.gc.ca (Canadian Embassy Dublin)
    london-im-enquiry@international.gc.ca (also CC Complaints to London Embassy)
    liveline@rte.ie (RTE's Joe Duffy/Liveline are interested in hearing from people who have been hassled by USIT)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭i_love_toast

i noticed the other day that the U35 canadian visa has been extended onto the 20th of October. i registered earlier today online. I got a text message and an email a few hours ago saying the I am on now on the cancellation list, that they have tried to contact me for a while now by text and email (???) and if i do not have my flights booked by the 30th of september, this Thursday, my application will be canceled and i will loose my 439e paid today!!

Are they for real?Obviously I am going to get in contact with them tomorrow morning but what they hell are they playing at....
    I registered today and on there site the deadline is extended until the 20th of October so why are they sending this onto me?
    Has anyone else got this?

to sonyz1
    your dead right.the more im reading about stuff on here about flight and insurance the more i reckon i have been ripped off. i was being badgered constantly by them telling me they had the cheapest deals. now in fairness the guy i dealt with was very nice and was only doing his job but i reckon i could have gotten cheaper myself but was lead to believe that would cause me no end of hassle. if anybody is going through the process now,shop around.

i noticed the other day that the U35 canadian visa has been extended onto the 20th of October. i registered earlier today online. I got a text message and an email a few hours ago saying the I am on now on the cancellation list, that they have tried to contact me for a while now by text and email (???) and if i do not have my flights booked by the 30th of september, this Thursday, my application will be canceled and i will loose my 439e paid today!!

Are they for real?Obviously I am going to get in contact with them tomorrow morning but what they hell are they playing at....
    I registered today and on there site the deadline is extended until the 20th of October so why are they sending this onto me?
    Has anyone else got this?

Hello

I got the exact same message and I ranted about this on this thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68221126#post68221126

Hello

I got the exact same message and I ranted about this on this thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68221126#post68221126

thanks for showing me that. some w*nkers for sending people that message alright!it better be the 20th of october deadline as they say on their site!

just wondering what are peoples numbers on the waiting list??

i applied today and got the usual cancellation scare email as everyone else. It better be the 20th of October email as they are stating on the site....

Also if your on the waiting list and not officially an applicant yet does your account still get charged the 439e??

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

I got an email from USIT two nights before I was to fly out to Canada saying that I had to confirm my travel arrangements with them before a certain date. I did a double take and then realised it probably didn't apply to me.

Sending these blanket emails is a truly appalling business practice. I have had only positive experiences with the USIT staff apart from emails like the one I describe above though - I only pity their poor staff tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 t is for tommo

As expected this morning it is impossible to get through to Usit's Canada hotline. If anyone has talked to them so far today regarding the deadline for booking flights, any information would be appreciated.

Eventually got through there about 15mins ago, and was eighth in line so had a bit of a wait!

I had a deposit on my flights and insurance since the end of July, and admittedly was waiting until the last minute to pay off the rest. The guy on the phone said the email was sent to EVERYONE who had any outstanding payments even if they had already paid deposits.

He mentioned nothing to me about me being on a cancellation list like the email said. I simply gave him my credit card details to pay off the flights and he said I'd be getting emails about my flight and insurance details, where I can print off my visa and that I would be receiving a SIM card in the post.

And that was that!

So the emails were just used to give people a push, I suppose I needed a bit of a push but for feck sake don't try and scare the bejaysus outta me at 7pm on a Monday evening!!

Sheebs wrote: »
    Eventually got through there about 15mins ago, and was eighth in line so had a bit of a wait!

I had a deposit on my flights and insurance since the end of July, and admittedly was waiting until the last minute to pay off the rest. The guy on the phone said the email was sent to EVERYONE who had any outstanding payments even if they had already paid deposits.

He mentioned nothing to me about me being on a cancellation list like the email said. I simply gave him my credit card details to pay off the flights and he said I'd be getting emails about my flight and insurance details, where I can print off my visa and that I would be receiving a SIM card in the post.

And that was that!

So the emails were just used to give people a push, I suppose I needed a bit of a push but for feck sake don't try and scare the bejaysus outta me at 7pm on a Monday evening!!

My application has been processing with the Canadian high commission since 10th September and yet they expect me to pay for flights and insurance when I don't have my VISA yet? It's utter madness.

I take it you had been notified of your visa before you booked your flights and insurance then?

Also, I'm determined to purchase the flights and insurance independently as opposed to through these parasites.

• Advertisement

My application has been processing with the Canadian high commission since 10th September and yet they expect me to pay for flights and insurance when I don't have my VISA yet? It's utter madness.

I take it you had been notified of your visa before you booked your flights and insurance then?

Also, I'm determined to purchase the flights and insurance independently as opposed to through these parasites.

My application was still at 'sent to sponsor' or some similar status when I booked my flights. During the summer USIT threw out some other made up deadline and insisted I either book with them or sort out my flights elsewhere before that date even though my visa had not been officially approved.

I raised this concern with USIT and they said that unless I had some sort of criminal record here, I could be fairly certain that I would get the visa and should carry on with booking the flights regardless. So I just booked the flights to get them out of my hair, which is madness in hindsight! Wonder what they would do if my visa wasn't approved?

They're completely all over the place! This must be at least the 5th made up deadline USIT have thrown at me since I started the process in April this year. Still going mad over the 100euro late fee I had to pay earlier in the year.... :mad:

Advertisement