Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

Disco84 wrote: »
    Hi all,how are things. Ive the U35 visa organised through USIT, flying out to Toronto the 11th of November.
    One difficulty i'm having is just getting my head around the apartment search. Im looking for a decent two bedroom in Mississauga. Theres alot to choose from but almost nothing is furnished. Obviously this is just common practise in Toronto but what is the best way of going about tracking down a furnished one?
    Thanks alot!

Try this site

http://www.sublet.com

came across it tonight seem ok little bit more professional than craigslist or kijjii.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Aw lads enough is enough!! Here over 3 weeks and haven't had a single night out yet!! Can't believe it! Granted I've been working since I got here and didn't stay in hostel etc but no excuse for it!! Think a Boards beers will be the only remedy - who's up for it?! I'll start a new thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Disco84

tipp86 wrote: »
    Try this site

http://www.sublet.com

came across it tonight seem ok little bit more professional than craigslist or kijjii.

Thanks for that, i'll keep an eye on that site. Good indicator of what I can expect to be paying and all that.

Disco84 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, i'll keep an eye on that site. Good indicator of what I can expect to be paying and all that.

Actually investigated more about that site it looks great but its potentialy a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 conor2me

Hi folks, thinking bout goin 2 vancouver in a couple of months and just wondering whats the best way to get a visa(usit) and basically if you could do it again what would you do? and any info i should know about vancouver jobs/best place to live?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

conor2me wrote: »
    Hi folks, thinking bout goin 2 vancouver in a couple of months and just wondering whats the best way to get a visa(usit) and basically if you could do it again what would you do? and any info i should know about vancouver jobs/best place to live?

Hey dude theres about 3 or 4 treads already about canada have a look through them you will get all the information you need

Any ideas of decent stop for a week or so while we look for accommodation in Toronto ?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Captain Pillowcase

"Stuff in supermarkets is around the same price. I saw someone on here moanng about the price of chicken... get over it. If you want it you'll buy it !" from ratedR

I think you will find that this was an observation on the fact that shopping for food in Vancouver is expensive in general and not a moan, chicken was used as an example. And while you have been able to find work at a great rate for Vancouver others have not been so lucky, so yes, the fact that chicken and other staples cost so much can be a big deal for some.

"Stuff in supermarkets is around the same price. I saw someone on here moanng about the price of chicken... get over it. If you want it you'll buy it !" from ratedR

I think you will find that this was an observation on the fact that shopping for food in Vancouver is expensive in general and not a moan, chicken was used as an example. And while you have been able to find work at a great rate for Vancouver others have not been so lucky, so yes, the fact that chicken and other staples cost so much can be a big deal for some.

You're spot on. Pay attention folks. I went into a 7-11 last night on my way home and paid TEN DOLLARS for a box of cereal and a litre of milk. Now I know convenience stores are gonna be more expensive but picture going into your local Spar and paying 7 euro for a box of cornflakes and a litre of milk - you'd be like wtf! A coffee in Starbucks is about 3 euro. A pint will set you back about €5.50.

I'm working but I can imagine people who aren't are burning through the cash...I know it feels like I am! Don't let this put you off though but just be aware of it I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

with this extenstion thing on the site put til the 20th of october, when would you reasonably be looking to get the visa in?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Reney

Hey,

A question to all of those currently in Canada...

I'm holding off buying too much here to bring over to Whistler/Canada with me as I figure it will be cheaper out there anyway but is there anything you would recommend stocking up on in Ireland before heading over that maybe isn't available or is more expensive out there? I hear chicken breasts are more expensive out there but I think I'll hold off stockpiling on those for now!:D What about clothes, basic toiletries etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 emmagail

Boxer shorts are expensive over here - bring 100% cotton!! bring them instead of your Levi, they are dirt cheap here. Also, very hard to get roll on deodorant with a ball - just the block type. If you are bringing your lap-top, pick up an adapter in Ireland, most of them here are for people travelling TO the UK/Irl

Pick up your web-cam in Argus too, and if its not too late, bring your euro with you - go to a currency converter in a mall, much better rate. Don't forget to get a letter from your council giving your driving history, it will allow you to go from a provisional (G1) to a G or G2, as long as you pass a test but you can sit the test straight away.
    Even better, if at all possible, get a UK/NI licence if you can - you can exchange directly for a Canadian licence

best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Reney

emmagail wrote: »
    Boxer shorts are expensive over here - bring 100% cotton!! bring them instead of your Levi, they are dirt cheap here. Also, very hard to get roll on deodorant with a ball - just the block type. If you are bringing your lap-top, pick up an adapter in Ireland, most of them here are for people travelling TO the UK/Irl

Pick up your web-cam in Argus too, and if its not too late, bring your euro with you - go to a currency converter in a mall, much better rate. Don't forget to get a letter from your council giving your driving history, it will allow you to go from a provisional (G1) to a G or G2, as long as you pass a test but you can sit the test straight away.
    Even better, if at all possible, get a UK/NI licence if you can - you can exchange directly for a Canadian licence

best of luck

Great tips, thanks for that, I'll stock up on the cotton boxers so ,or knickers as the case may be:D!

For the driving license, do you know if an international driving license would work ok out there, I had one of these for Oz and it was fine. Will the council here know what I'm on about if I go asking for a letter about my driving history, probably not as they generally just sit there and scratch their arses lol! I'll suss it out anyway!

Thanks for the advice

Irene

• Registered Users Posts: 20 GT Tdi

Don't forget to get a letter from your council giving your driving history, it will allow you to go from a provisional (G1) to a G or G2, as long as you pass a test but you can sit the test straight away.

best of luck

Can i just bring my full Irish Licence and exchange it for a Canadian? Letter from the council?, Will a letter from the insurance company do? Think i read somewhere that if you show proof of driving experience for 2 years in home country theres no problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 emmagail

GT Tdi wrote: »
    Can i just bring my full Irish Licence and exchange it for a Canadian? Letter from the council?, Will a letter from the insurance company do? Think i read somewhere that if you show proof of driving experience for 2 years in home country theres no problem

Everything I know is only about ONTARIO....DEFINATELY GET A NEW INTERNATIONAL LICENCE..... With that, you can rent a car with your Irish, but for licenceing the car you buy, you will need a G1 because of the format, the Int is only valid for 90 days if you a staying. They won't exchance for a full. google ontario driving legistaion, its all there. Just wait till you get insurance!! I was paying 670 for a 3.8l Trooper in Ireland, here i am paying 3.700 for a Cherokkee!!! Past experience is not counted, i guess because of the sides of the roads. the council will know what a letter of authentication is

• Registered Users Posts: 20 GT Tdi

Everything I know is only about ONTARIO....DEFINATELY GET A NEW INTERNATIONAL LICENCE..... With that, you can rent a car with your Irish, but for licenceing the car you buy, you will need a G1 because of the format, the Int is only valid for 90 days if you a staying. They won't exchance for a full. google ontario driving legistaion, its all there. Just wait till you get insurance!! I was paying 670 for a 3.8l Trooper in Ireland, here i am paying 3.700 for a Cherokkee!!! Past experience is not counted, i guess because of the sides of the roads. the council will know what a letter of authentication is

Thank you Emmagail, Very useful information thank you. Must get that done straight away, The insurance seems very expensive :eek:, oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭cokedrinker

I understand you cant apply for the u35 a second time, is this 100% correct? I have my u35 and flights booked for January, however im thinking of going to Australia this year instead.

Is there any way at all that i could get the u35 again in the future!?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

I understand you cant apply for the u35 a second time, is this 100% correct? I have my u35 and flights booked for January, however im thinking of going to Australia this year instead.

Is there any way at all that i could get the u35 again in the future!?!?!

The answer to your question is here:
    http://www.workincanada.ie/under-35-programme/faq/

Usit U35 Frequently asked questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Purtellg

Hi Guys,

Im heading over to TO in january and wondered if anybody over there had any good advice for me :D

Also all my flights ,insurance and forms where sent to the high commision about 2 weeks ago ,has anybody any idea it will take to get my visa ? Usit say 6-8 weeks ,is that a fairly accurate take on things?

Finally ,Im flying the 29th january,if anybody is heading over around the same time get in touch and we get a few gargles in when we get over there ,it be good to hear from some Irish heading over

Purtell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Police cert's no longer take 4 weeks, it has seriously been fast tracked

• Advertisement

Took about 3 days for me

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

You definitely mentioned the price of chicken at least twice ! I know you're just trying to be informative, but your post was a little negative, especially as I had read it before I set off. You'll see from my post I agree, it's an expensive city. But if you do your weekly grocery shopping in the likes of Safeway, and get yourself a club card, there are great savings to be got.

For example, I bought 550kg of chicken fillets the other day (enough for 4 stirfry dinners, maybe more) for €6.66. I wouldn't consider that expensive for what I'm getting out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

hey all, quick question? (sorry if it's been asked before) in a bit of a hurry with this!
    I'm going to Vancouver tomorrow (funeral) and i'm wondering if i need any travel documentation for a layover for a few hours in Chicago on the way.

I remember going to the States before and needing some travel authorisation thing. Do i need it for a layover of about 3 hours??

Also am i right in thinking that i dont need any visa for Canada?

thanks

Fionn wrote: »
    hey all, quick question? (sorry if it's been asked before) in a bit of a hurry with this!
    I'm going to Vancouver tomorrow (funeral) and i'm wondering if i need any travel documentation for a layover for a few hours in Chicago on the way.

I remember going to the States before and needing some travel authorisation thing. Do i need it for a layover of about 3 hours??

Also am i right in thinking that i dont need any visa for Canada?

thanks

http://dublin.usembassy.gov/general/esta.html
    If you are travelling under the Visa Waiver Program in order to transit the U.S. or to stay for up to 90 days as a tourist or for a business purpose that does not normally require a visa, you must pre-register with ESTA in advance of your planned travel date.

Do it NOW!

As for canada:
    http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/visas/index.aspx?lang=eng&menu_id=3&menu=L
    Irish citizens do not require a visa to enter Canada as a visitor, or on business, for a period not exceeding six months. You will require:

1. A valid Irish passport;
    2. An airline ticket with return date indicated;
    3. Sufficient funds to support yourself for the duration of your visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Captain Pillowcase

ratedR wrote: »
    You definitely mentioned the price of chicken at least twice ! I know you're just trying to be informative, but your post was a little negative, especially as I had read it before I set off. You'll see from my post I agree, it's an expensive city. But if you do your weekly grocery shopping in the likes of Safeway, and get yourself a club card, there are great savings to be got.

For example, I bought 550kg of chicken fillets the other day (enough for 4 stirfry dinners, maybe more) for €6.66. I wouldn't consider that expensive for what I'm getting out of it.

Yeah I mentioned chicken as I had befriended a lot of people from home and the Uk and it came up in conversations. And as I said you are getting $13 ph, which is awesome for Van. I never set out to be Negative as I also pointed out. It was a point being made. And just coz you get a card it doesn't make everything magically cheaper. I also said about no frills etc and how great Van is but some I suppose only see what they want.

ratedR wrote: »

Her post was hardly negative now, I remember it and it seemed like a pretty well-balanced one. Not everything is amazing here in Van, I'm pretty underwhelmed myself so far! Seeing as we're on the topic of chicken, a couple of fillets is around 7 bucks in my local Supervalu which seems expensive to me - prob more expensive than Dublin I would say, but I don't doubt you can get good deals if you shop around. Personally I find the range of food in supermarkets here pretty limited..

But it's all very subjective anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 LS92109

The program is closed now...I only got to put in my application today and it said I would be added to the cancellation list but I haven't got an email or anything from Usit. Does anyone know if they should have sent me an email?

LS92109 wrote: »
    The program is closed now...I only got to put in my application today and it said I would be added to the cancellation list but I haven't got an email or anything from Usit. Does anyone know if they should have sent me an email?

did a confirmation screen not give you a reference number?

they should contact you by phone when they're ready to take your payment. I forget it I got an email immediately.

Apply for your police cert immediately if you haven't already and make sure your passport is in-date for the entire time you expect to be away.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 LS92109

No it didn't! Just said I will be on the cancellation list and they will be in touch when they are ready to take payment.

Should I still get the police cert?

• Advertisement

LS92109 wrote: »
    No it didn't! Just said I will be on the cancellation list and they will be in touch when they are ready to take payment.

Should I still get the police cert?

yes! if you're thinking of going u will need a police cert. at this late stage, if you are offered a place you will need all your requirements pretty much straight away. otherwise the place could be offered to someone else, or it could delay your departure.

Advertisement