Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Hey,

Try arrange a place before ye get here for a week or so, ye won't just walk into an apartment/house straight away..having all the credit checks etc

Oliver

How do they do a credit check if you have no credit history in Canada?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

t00024894 wrote: »
    ok so i emailed usit just to see if there was anything they could do because i was only a day late and this is what i got.....

Thank you for your email. The 2010 Canadian Work Holiday Programmes are officially closed, we will not be accepting any further applications this year. Unfortunately, we do not have any details yet for the 2011 Programme and are unlikely to have any information until the end of the year. If you are interested in details, please register your details for our mailing list here http://www.workincanada.ie/mailing-list/ and as soon as information becomes available, you will be notified via email.

if the visa's come out for 2011 in maybe dec is there still i chance i could end up going to canada in january???
    thanks for your info everyone by the way..

very very slim chance, just have everything organized for next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mazzersmhanno

fat__tony wrote: »
    Evening folks.

Who did most of you book your flights with?

I'm booking mine independently and I'm angling towards British Airways at the moment (€536 return Dublin-London-Toronto).

There are cheaper options with the likes of Continental Airlines and US Airways (around €35 quid cheaper) but the thought of going through an American airport just fills me with dread.

KLM go via Amsterdam but it seems flying via London appears to be the best option?

Thanks.
    to be honest if your goin during winter than your better off going thru europe,im heading myself in janurary and am going BA via london,hav travelled a few times to canada.via america was a nightmare as during winter the flights can be cancelled and delayed at a minutes notice,i ended up being delayed thru chicago on the way over and on the way back,which ended up in me takin 3 flights to get home. have been thru heathrow and amsterdam before and both are no bother. personally id lean towards BA rather than KLM as its just more comfortable and you have your own tv screen n stuff,which is worth it on an 8 hr flight if you cant sleep. basically you have a better chance of gettin out of europe on a big plane in bad weather than goin thru america and being on smaller planes where they might cancel/delay flights. hope this is helpfull.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

to be honest if your goin during winter than your better off going thru europe,im heading myself in janurary and am going BA via london,hav travelled a few times to canada.via america was a nightmare as during winter the flights can be cancelled and delayed at a minutes notice,i ended up being delayed thru chicago on the way over and on the way back,which ended up in me takin 3 flights to get home. have been thru heathrow and amsterdam before and both are no bother. personally id lean towards BA rather than KLM as its just more comfortable and you have your own tv screen n stuff,which is worth it on an 8 hr flight if you cant sleep. basically you have a better chance of gettin out of europe on a big plane in bad weather than goin thru america and being on smaller planes where they might cancel/delay flights. hope this is helpfull.

Thank you. :)

On another note, I still haven't recieved my visa depsite it been with the canadian high commission since 12th September. :mad:

Load of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭fanzhiyidan

My gf and I are here in Toronto since September..having a great time..things are a bit dear tho..living downtown near union station..

We stayed in Canadian Backpackers Inn it was fine..free pancakes every morning, the place was very clean, safe and in an excellent location..

We wanted to see a hockey game but could not get over the prices so we are going to a basketball game instead..

We found a really nice apartment through a realty agent, she took us to see loads of properties and did a really good deal on our behalf..I would highly advise using this kind of service if looking for a long term place..

Oliver

Thanks for the advice.
    What was the name of the realty agent?
    We'd be looking for a long term place alright.
    If you wouldn't mind, could you PM me with details of what kind of a place you got and how much it cost.
    Really trying to tie down our options for when we get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Beibheann84

Hey,
    So I'm just wondering does anyone know the best way to get a job here in Toronto??Ive tried the recruitment agencies and to be honest they dont seem to do much or maybe I just havent been lucky.Ive been using Craigslist and Kiji too but no joy.
    If anyone can help it would be much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

On another note, I still haven't recieved my visa depsite it been with the canadian high commission since 12th September. :mad:

Load of ****.

usit advise it will take 6-8 weeks once all requirement have been received.
    How long did it take altogether so far?

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    usit advise it will take 6-8 weeks once all requirement have been received.
    How long did it take altogether so far?

Morning.

The application has been with USIT since the 6th September so altogether thats 8 weeks in total.

All documentation has been sent in at this time, insurance information has been provided. One thing I haven't done s book flights, all I gave at the time were my intended dates for travel (around 26th/27th October!) so if I booked these I'd have to change already, meaning a charge.

They seemingly think I'm supposed to book the flights before we recieve the visa which I find utterly stupid. ARE they afraid Ill back out, I paid for travel insurance for christs sake? Plus I have a job lined up (contract signed and everything).

Maybe I should tell them that so they give me the bloody visa!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 marti4

Load of ****.

Hi,

Can you let us know when you receive your visa from the CIC. Mines has been with them since 27th and I've booked my flights already for end of Dec. Here's hoping they won't take much longer.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭niva*sis

thanks for the replies guys, ive sent off for my police cert so hopefully that will get the balll rolling and i'll have everything ready for the next batch of visa's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 swabby

Hey,
    Was just wondering did anyone ever organise a meet up for all the irish here on boards! Myself and a friend arrive here in vancouver last wednesday and dont know too many people around, be good 2 organise a session for all the irish here!
    Also has anyone got any advice on where to look for jobs and accommodation???

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭bertaluchi

swabby wrote: »
    Hey,
    Was just wondering did anyone ever organise a meet up for all the irish here on boards! Myself and a friend arrive here in vancouver last wednesday and dont know too many people around, be good 2 organise a session for all the irish here!
    Also has anyone got any advice on where to look for jobs and accommodation???
    Hi there,
    here's a suggestion for ya. I booked The St Clair last miute before I came. I sent them an instant message through their website. Really nice group in there.
    Its a hostel/hotel. Not very hostelly at all. Average age is a bit higher than usual. Prob 30's. Local area isn't great but I haven't had even a tiny bit of hastle (except for change)
    I booked in for a monthly rate (725 excellent!)
    Itll take you a while to get a place so I just bit the bullet and booked a whole month.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Danteryu

How long have you been there for?
    I've been here in London, Ontario for 4 months now without finding anything - money's getting very tight now and I'm just desperate now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

This might seem like a crazy question but are there any "irish" bars in Toronto that actually show Irish matches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Vincent.Murphy

Hey,

Heading over to Vancouver late January, Hear its going to be wet! How are other people liking Vancouver?

Rent seems a crazy price, especially when you don't get a bed! Hows the cost of living other wise?

Thanks

Vince

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

I'm in Toronto with a week now. Anyone else around here on their own? We should have a meetup for a few drinks or whatever

Just got my visa through a few hours ago, better late than never. :)

Is it better to book a return ticket or a one way ticket? I'll have the minimum $3000 dollars when I enter Canada so thats not an issue. I'd prefer to book a single ticket as no airline will let you book a year in advance plus they'll charge you anyway for changing the date. Will I get hassle at Immigration when I land?

Also, who are all you folk banking with??

Thanks.

Is it better to book a return ticket or a one way ticket? I'll have the minimum $3000 dollars when I enter Canada so thats not an issue. I'd prefer to book a single ticket as no airline will let you book a year in advance plus they'll charge you anyway for changing the date. Will I get hassle at Immigration when I land?

Thanks.
    cool you got the visa, after all your moaning :P

I found single flights were actually more expensive than return flights. Most airlines allow you to change your return flight anywhere within a year on paying a fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Thanks.

You're probably better off just booking a return flight as far into the future as possible. I found one way flights to be nearly as expensive as return flights. I didn't see much sense in booking 2 one way flights that would end up costing me nearly double than a return flight. I know I'll have to pay a little bit to change my return flight but it will still work out cheaper than booking 2 one way flights.

You're probably better off just booking a return flight as far into the future as possible. I found one way flights to be nearly as expensive as return flights. I didn't see much sense in booking 2 one way flights that would end up costing me nearly double than a return flight. I know I'll have to pay a little bit to change my return flight but it will still work out cheaper than booking 2 one way flights.

Thanks.

I managed to get the flights for €530 return with BA via Heathrow which isn't too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Van City

Hey,

Heading over to Vancouver late January, Hear its going to be wet! How are other people liking Vancouver?

Rent seems a crazy price, especially when you don't get a bed! Hows the cost of living other wise?

Thanks

Vince
    Hey Vince,

It'll be wet so be prepared! It is expensive so make sure you have a decent amount of money coming over, don't expect to walk straight into accomodation or a job either. It takes a while, it took me 3 weeks to get a place and I think I got lucky. Jobwise it is competitive, you'll pick something up but it depends on what you want to do. The people are nice but don't party half as hard as the Irish! There are plenty of us here though its hard to go downtown without hearing another Irish accent!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭fanzhiyidan

Hi Clio,

how's the first couple of weeks treating you?
    heading over in january, can't wait.

Who is everyone banking with when they arrive?

I've heard Canada trust been mentioned a fair bit but apparently they only give a you a student account with a limited number of free transactions.

I've been recommended Scotiabank as an alternative, any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭bertaluchi

Who is everyone banking with when they arrive?

I've heard Canada trust been mentioned a fair bit but apparently they only give a you a student account with a limited number of free transactions.

I've been recommended Scotiabank as an alternative, any thoughts?

Hi, I went with CIBC as i needed an a/c without a job or perm address. They seem quite good actually. Expensive, but thats what its like over here (wait till you try to get a mobile phone sorted!!)
    A big + is that every 7 eleven has a CIBC atm so its free (easy to find a 7 eleven, and when i see one I always think if i need money or not - works for me anyway)

bertaluchi wrote: »
    Hi, I went with CIBC as i needed an a/c without a job or perm address. They seem quite good actually. Expensive, but thats what its like over here (wait till you try to get a mobile phone sorted!!)
    A big + is that every 7 eleven has a CIBC atm so its free (easy to find a 7 eleven, and when i see one I always think if i need money or not - works for me anyway)

The TD Canada Trust Value Plus Account is usually $8.95 per month, but it's free for Swap participants (including usit student/u35). It gives you 25 transactions a month. Additional transactions are 60c each.

You can keep your transactions down by withdrawing a larger amount of cash from ATMs, don't use your card to pay for small transactions in shops & use a credit card instead of your bank card (as fees don't apply to credit card transactions).

All in all, a very good deal so I wouldn't recommend paying for it with another bank.

-

Regarding mobile phones.. I bought a htc snap on mobilicity for $100. There is no contract. A monthly fee of $45 incl tax applies and within the greater toronto area it includes all your incoming calls, caller ID, voicemail, local calls & texts, international texts and data usage. Outside of this area roaming rates apply (20c per minute to make/receive calls). So it's fine for someone planning on staying in Toronto for a few months. Mobilicity are also planning on launching in various other cities including vancouver within the next few months - I imagine roaming rates will not apply in other cities where they operate.

*It seems to be a good deal. But this is a promotional rate and I'm not sure how long it will be available for and how long it will last. They told us it only applied to swappers but I saw a sign in a shop offering it to anyone who signs up by a certain date.

For an extra $20 you get unlimited calls to Europe.

I actually set up a few skype to go numbers so I can call home to Irish landlines for only cad$0.029 - or you could just use a calling card if you don't mind messing around with vouchers. I also tethered my laptop to the phone to use my phone as a modem but I'm not sure if this is allowed or whether mobilicity will block it in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 GT Tdi

Toronto is expensive enough, especially grocery shopping. im just here a couple of days now and blowing all my loot :( Suppose I will have to start work sooner than I thought. Absolutely brilliant place and sights so far! As for prices advertised on shop shelves, restaurants and bar menus they don't include a 13.5 % tax and then theres tipping :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

GT Tdi wrote: »
    Toronto is expensive enough, especially grocery shopping. im just here a couple of days now and blowing all my loot :( Suppose I will have to start work sooner than I thought. Absolutely brilliant place and sights so far! As for prices advertised on shop shelves, restaurants and bar menus they don't include a 13.5 % tax and then theres tipping :eek:

I feel your pain! I'm spending money at a ferocious rate. Had dinner in a cheap restaurant today for 5.10 including tax though. Cost me double that to cook a ****ty dinner the other day. Drinking is very expensive here too. I've paid up to 10 dollars a drink. Need to start working asap or it's gonna be an expensive trip

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

GT Tdi wrote: »

Two things I'll be very glad to wave goodbye to when I leave Canada!

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

Hi all can anyone direct me to where i would even start to get a visa to live and work in canada thanks? Is it expensive and easy to get one?

• Advertisement

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    The TD Canada Trust Value Plus Account is usually $8.95 per month, but it's free for Swap participants (including usit student/u35). It gives you 25 transactions a month. Additional transactions are 60c each.

You can keep your transactions down by withdrawing a larger amount of cash from ATMs, don't use your card to pay for small transactions in shops & use a credit card instead of your bank card (as fees don't apply to credit card transactions).

All in all, a very good deal so I wouldn't recommend paying for it with another bank.

-

Regarding mobile phones.. I bought a htc snap on mobilicity for $100. There is no contract. A monthly fee of $45 incl tax applies and within the greater toronto area it includes all your incoming calls, caller ID, voicemail, local calls & texts, international texts and data usage. Outside of this area roaming rates apply (20c per minute to make/receive calls). So it's fine for someone planning on staying in Toronto for a few months. Mobilicity are also planning on launching in various other cities including vancouver within the next few months - I imagine roaming rates will not apply in other cities where they operate.

*It seems to be a good deal. But this is a promotional rate and I'm not sure how long it will be available for and how long it will last. They told us it only applied to swappers but I saw a sign in a shop offering it to anyone who signs up by a certain date.

For an extra $20 you get unlimited calls to Europe.

I actually set up a few skype to go numbers so I can call home to Irish landlines for only cad$0.029 - or you could just use a calling card if you don't mind messing around with vouchers. I also tethered my laptop to the phone to use my phone as a modem but I'm not sure if this is allowed or whether mobilicity will block it in future.

Can you get just a sim card on a monthly prepaid plan?

My current phone is unblocked for worldwide use.

Advertisement