Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 conzy21

Alrite all..

They come out on december 9th at 10am..make sure your online at 10 on the dot..they go quik

Usit wont confirm this until closer to the date..you need to pay 500 yo yos up front..once dats done you'l get an email confirming that youve got a place..if not you go onto a waiting list..

I was on at 10 but my credit card declined.. grrrrr tank god i got a place do

good luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sullie86

posted this in the other canada threads but im trying to set up a facebook group for anyone heading to or in toronto at the moment . so everyone can chat bout it all a bit easier help out with info and what not
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=318357945310&ref=mf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 absinth

vinylbomb wrote: »
    I've been living up that way since I got here 4 months ago, really nice area but it is pricey enough, and I had difficulty just finding a regualr bar to go for a pint in ( they are all bar-restaurants in the area).
    Moved up to Main just the weekend gone, way cheaper and lots of bars and restaurants around.

That's been my main deal breaker with this city so far. I love almost everything else about the place but for the unfortunate lack of a decent casual pub. I'm not looking for a diddly-eye Oirish pub with neon shamrocks and plastic leprechauns and a ****in bicycle hanging from the ceiling, but just any kind of regular local bar where you can get a pint and read the paper or chat with your friends for a few minutes without being harassed by some chirpy daw-brained waitress with a menu and a cocktail list.

I just want to find a place where if more friends arrive you can pull up a few stools rather than end up sitting at separate tables for 4. I hate that ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ze4400

absinth wrote: »
    That's been my main deal breaker with this city so far. I love almost everything else about the place but for the unfortunate lack of a decent casual pub. I'm not looking for a diddly-eye Oirish pub with neon shamrocks and plastic leprechauns and a ****in bicycle hanging from the ceiling, but just any kind of regular local bar where you can get a pint and read the paper or chat with your friends for a few minutes without being harassed by some chirpy daw-brained waitress with a menu and a cocktail list.

I just want to find a place where if more friends arrive you can pull up a few stools rather than end up sitting at separate tables for 4. I hate that ****!

Know exactly what your talkin about mate but ya just don't get locals like ya do at home. I'm up on east broadway near commercial drive, drink in the 3 lions a good bit (broadway and ontario). Its still a bar cafe but its owned by an irish guy and the staff there are sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

ze4400 wrote: »
    Know exactly what your talkin about mate but ya just don't get locals like ya do at home. I'm up on east broadway near commercial drive, drink in the 3 lions a good bit (broadway and ontario). Its still a bar cafe but its owned by an irish guy and the staff there are sound.

Yeah, its not bad. Theres a place on Main at 16th(ish) called the Five Point thats decent too.

• Advertisement

Heh, just remembered my favourite pub so far - the Ivanhoe, on Main St not far from the train station. Worth a visit for the entertainment factor but judging by the state of people there at 4 in the afternoon, you'd want to have your wits about you later on!

I'm living near Nanaimo skytrain, so there's **** all locally. Haven't had any mad nights out yet but I've found that generally the less polished a place is, the more craic is to be had. That's obvious enough I suppose!

The Cambie is a reliable enough spot for a relaxed beer, but I still can't get over that you can't smoke in the beer garden; you have to go back in through the pub and walk around outside the railings. I know it's the law like but seems a bit excessive to me. The other night a few of us were in the Irish Heather but it was about as homely as a science lab. Pub 340 a few blocks away was more my cup of tea but the band were just finishing as we got in.

I went with my housemates to the Funky Winkerbean (Gastown/Hastings) to see their mates' band playing. Studenty crowd, very dull despite the cheap beer, disappointing atmosphere. On the other hand, when my girlfriend was over for a visit we ended up in the Yale on Granville St (down near the bridge) and happened upon a great blues band. They have a regular 'piano bar' night on Mondays I think which I must check out sometime.

The Biltmore Cabaret on Kingsway is one place I've been meaning to go; they seem to have fairly decent gigs from time to time.

Wish I could find a job as a pub researcher!

[just occurred to me, my sig has been there 4 years now but I'm not able to update it until I hit 25 posts... so apologies for this filler...]

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

I've set up a Facebook group for those who are already here in Vancouver, and those who are planning to come. Click here and join up!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ze4400

absinth wrote: »
    [just occurred to me, my sig has been there 4 years now but I'm not able to update it until I hit 25 posts... so apologies for this filler...]

ha ha me too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 malibu baby

Good idea on the Facebook page, will be nice to get to know a few people in the same boat starting out in Vancouver. Heading over next month myself :)

For anybody there already do ye know which mobile network is meant to be the best for the area? I heard the quality varies across Canada. Will be looking to get a bill phone. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

I'm on the U35 waitlist for 2009 (practically in single digits on waitlist at the mo). They say in the email that places are given out based on cancellations and if/or Canadians govt issue more visas/places.

Since the U35 2010 programme starts earlier this year, I'm guessin given the 6-8 week processing time, eariest you could leave if you got this would be feb ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Moondust

Can you recommend a hostel for Vancouver too please???

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

jackelle wrote: »
    Re jobs, in British Columbia you have to chase people up with e-mails and phone calls as they are seriously chilled out here. I work in a law firm downtown the people spend half the day just hanging out getting coffee and doing hockey pools, a big change from Dublin!

Jackelle, you don't happen to work for a law firm in the Scotia building on Georgia and Seymour, a person from Dublin started in my wifes office while we were back in Cork on Holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Franswas

Myself and my boyf are planning on heading over to Canada in July on next year. We cannot apply for 2010 visa as of yet as it won't be released until the end of this year (so usit said over the phone). WHat I have done in the meantime is I have subscribed on the usit website for the Canada Programme 2010 and as far as I am aware when the visas are available we will receive and email and we will then need to apply. The website to subscribe is http://canada.usit.ie/CanadaEnquiry.asp

Good idea on the Facebook page, will be nice to get to know a few people in the same boat starting out in Vancouver. Heading over next month myself :)

For anybody there already do ye know which mobile network is meant to be the best for the area? I heard the quality varies across Canada. Will be looking to get a bill phone. Thanks!

I'm on Fido (prepay), and have had no problems with coverage anywhere in Vancouver. They are also pretty good value.

If you are in Vancouver and fancy a few beers, stop by Cassis Bistro at 420 West Pender Street this Saturday. One of the North America forum regulars, Tack, is organising a club night there.

See this thread here for more details!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 irishguy34

I am looking for something to do for new years eve in VC.
    I will be arriving on the 28th December staying in a hotel or hostel, any one any ideas or what to do?
    Me I am 34 year old Engineer.

Regards,
    Michael

This post has been deleted.

Yeah, you can get Pre-pay Fido SIM cards afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

yeah fido is a good one. DONT get a solo card. they cant recieve calls from 087's back home afaik...

i might be putting on a night downtown on NYE, ill keep you posted. it'll be free in and hopefully by then the irish/european contingent will be mighty !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 irishguy34

Living and working in Van so if you need any advice on life here feel free to let me know

Arriving on the 28th can you recommend anything for new years eve?

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 peterwhilluk

Hi,
    the canadian commision in London, can issue under 35 work permits for ALL UK AND IRISH CITIZENS.
    http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/work-travail/ym_uk-mj_ru.aspx?lang=eng.

Its only 150 canadian dollars, there are no middle men who are ripping people off by charging 500 euros. And if you dont get accepted all money gets returned!

I dont like to see people paying silly prices for services, epecially youngsters who wish to travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Zodiac12345

Is Peter correct people? Seems a bit too good to be true. Can't see why everyone would be going to USIT if this is available.

I think it might only be open to UK residents? Can't see where it says it is open to the Irish.

• Advertisement

Telling customers that they have to get the USIT flights and insurance, seems rather criminal to me

Advertisement