Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

fat__tony wrote: »
    Can you get just a sim card on a monthly prepaid plan?

My current phone is unblocked for worldwide use.

Read back 2 pages. I wrote a lenghtly post about it. Not sure why I bother on the board though.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

ratedR wrote: »
    Read back 2 pages. I wrote a lenghtly post about it. Not sure why I bother on the board though.

Excellent thanks. :)

On a different matter, how did most of you bring money over and what is the most convenient way?

I was going to withdraw what I need in cash, shove it in the wallet, convert it to canadian dollars when I get over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 mirtos

We are going to be bringing our money over with us, as we want to buy a truck when we get there; I think you can bring up to €/$10,000 with you on person without having to declare it.

As commission on money changed can be expensive in Ireland (although if you are a student, some banks do not charge you), we will open up a bank account in Canada and then transfer the money over through internet banking, which normally entails a oncce off fee of approx €30 depending on your bank.

Personally, I just brought my Laser card with me. You can withdrawn your cash from any ATM that accept Maestro. Although I only went to atms at banks and not the ones you find in convience stores, etc. I also got a couple of hundred Canadian dollars converted from the bank at home before I came, to do me for the first few days to pay for the hostel, etc.

I found with Bank of Montreal I could take out 500 dollars a day (this might depend on what your own bank at home have it set at) and just deposited in into my newly opened TD bank a/c.

By the way, I noticed someone saying that TD charge you for using your card at shops. That's not true. I use my card in shops all the time over here like I'd use my laser card at home, and have never been charged for the use. It's much safer then carrying cash around too.

*edit*
    I may have read that wrong, but still. 25 transactions a month is nearly a swipe a day. I'd still prefer to use my card to pay for shopping, etc then carry around large amounts of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

Is the only way you can get a temporary working visa in canda is if your offered a job there you cant just get one then go over and look for a job?

• Advertisement

Is the only way you can get a temporary working visa in canda is if your offered a job there you cant just get one then go over and look for a job?

I'm not even sure you know what you're trying to ask ?

Most people on this thread are on the U35 working holiday visa.
    Apply here : http://www.workincanada.ie/

It's closed for this year. Last year it opened in the middle of January, and visas werent issued until around June.

You get a one year visa, which intitles you to live and work in Canada for a year. You do not need to have a job lined up in Canada.

A browse through this thread would have told you all that though.. Who is moderating this part of the site at all ??

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

ah right cool thanks, well im not going through 57 pages of reading just thought somebody might have some info on it any way thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

Chet Zar wrote: »
    Two things I'll be very glad to wave goodbye to when I leave Canada!

well you pay 21% vat in ireland......only diff is it's included in the price you see!
    i'd rather pay 13% tbh......

ratedR wrote: »
    Personally, I just brought my Laser card with me. You can withdrawn your cash from any ATM that accept Maestro. Although I only went to atms at banks and not the ones you find in convience stores, etc. I also got a couple of hundred Canadian dollars converted from the bank at home before I came, to do me for the first few days to pay for the hostel, etc.

I found with Bank of Montreal I could take out 500 dollars a day (this might depend on what your own bank at home have it set at) and just deposited in into my newly opened TD bank a/c.

By the way, I noticed someone saying that TD charge you for using your card at shops. That's not true. I use my card in shops all the time over here like I'd use my laser card at home, and have never been charged for the use. It's much safer then carrying cash around too.

*edit*
    I may have read that wrong, but still. 25 transactions a month is nearly a swipe a day. I'd still prefer to use my card to pay for shopping, etc then carry around large amounts of cash.

Thats some good info, thanks.

Is it essential to have a social insurance number to open a bank account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭vaalea

Canadian here. If you do not need to use any in-bank teller services, then go with PC Financial - no fees banking. You can do your banking at PC machines in Loblaws stores or at any CIBC machine. This however may be more popular in Ontario than BC. http://www.banking.pcfinancial.ca/a/products/chequingAccount.page

And regarding cellphones I would recommend taking over someone elses contract if you can. you will get great monthly rate-deal as some of these people giving up their phone have been with the company for a while and got cheap/special deals or retention deals you could never get at the store. We have three year contract here, and there are people looking to get out with still a year or less left. http://www.google.com/search?q=take+over+cell+phone+contract+canada

I'm glad I finally downloaded/use Skype! I pay to be able to phone landlines adn mobiles. Def. worth looking into.
    I brought my iphone with me so I can call over wifi on it.

• Advertisement

vaalea wrote: »
    Canadian here. If you do not need to use any in-bank teller services, then go with PC Financial - no fees banking. You can do your banking at PC machines in Loblaws stores or at any CIBC machine. This however may be more popular in Ontario than BC

And regarding cellphones I would recommend taking over someone elses contract if you can. you will get great monthly rate-deal as some of these people giving up their phone have been with the company for a while and got cheap/special deals or retention deals you could never get at the store.

I'm glad I finally downloaded/use Skype! I pay to be able to phone landlines adn mobiles. Another thing worth looking into.

Would you have any idea if it's possible to open up a savings account as well as a current account when I arrive?

Luckily I have a decent job lined up so I'm looking to save a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭vaalea

fat__tony wrote: »
    Would you have any idea if it's possible to open up a savings account as well as a current account when I arrive?

Luckily I have a decent job lined up so I'm looking to save a little.

I remember it being really easy to sign up for/add a savings account online once my online banking for checking was set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

8 weeks til i go , jaysus its flew in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Lemon86

anyone heading to vancouver in the next week or two guys? any tips? anyone guna be looking for roommates etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭eddie the eagle

i posted this on another thread but just a heads up here for those coming over.

a bit of advice to anyone coming over with plans to stay on. i went into service canada (where u do driving tests and stuff) to hopefully get an ontario licence. they told me if i was from northern ireland it would be no problem and just a straight swap. but they dont recognize the irish one (maybe cos its paper)

so to get an ontario licence. before you leave go into the motor tax office, the main one, and get them to give you a sheet which confirms that you do have a licence. then you have to get this paper authenticated. its a place on stevens green somewhere. then, hopefully, you can bring this authenticated document to service canada and get an ontario licence.
    otherwise you are looking at about 2 years to get a full licence here, like our provisional system.

http://www.embassyofireland.ca/home/index.aspx?id=34280

im only half way through this process so i'll keep you posted how it goes

i posted this on another thread but just a heads up here for those coming over.

a bit of advice to anyone coming over with plans to stay on. i went into service canada (where u do driving tests and stuff) to hopefully get an ontario licence. they told me if i was from northern ireland it would be no problem and just a straight swap. but they dont recognize the irish one (maybe cos its paper)

so to get an ontario licence. before you leave go into the motor tax office, the main one, and get them to give you a sheet which confirms that you do have a licence. then you have to get this paper authenticated. its a place on stevens green somewhere. then, hopefully, you can bring this authenticated document to service canada and get an ontario licence.
    otherwise you are looking at about 2 years to get a full licence here, like our provisional system.

http://www.embassyofireland.ca/home/index.aspx?id=34280

im only half way through this process so i'll keep you posted how it goes

cheers pal, forogt about something like this myself. would you reckon its the same for all of canada?

Driver’s Licenses from other countries

Some countries have agreements with Alberta to recognize international lisences. If you have a valid license from one of these countries, you can exchange it for an Alberta Class 5 license:

Austria, Belgium, Germany, Japan, South Korea, Switzerland, United Kingdom (not including Northern Ireland).

so i dunno if it will work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 CFPD

Hey

Not sure if anyone can help but here goes!!

I'm a Canadian Citizen, but haven't lived there for almost 20 years...I'm 26. I'm packing up and moving back to Calgary in March. My BF is coming with me but he's on a 1 year USIT Visa. The two of us are together a long time and I would like to sponsor him.

Anyone out there with advice/have you done this??

I'm a bit worried that he's going to have to come home and I really don't want that!

Thanks a mill:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭mdu

CFPD wrote: »
    Hey

I'm a Canadian Citizen, but haven't lived there for almost 20 years...I'm 26. I'm packing up and moving back to Calgary in March. My BF is coming with me but he's on a 1 year USIT Visa. The two of us are together a long time and I would like to sponsor him.

I'm a bit worried that he's going to have to come home and I really don't want that!

You can sponsor him. It would be a good idea to start the porcess soon though as it can take some time to get all the docs together and then the processing time. You must have documented proof that you have lived together for at least 12 months.
    Have a look at the website. http://www.cic.gc.ca/ you'll find the info there. Im guessing you'd fall under family class - common law partner.

g'luck!

wrote:

Thanks so much for the advice!!

Hey

i'm in the very same boat! i downloaded the whole kit the other night and had a read. they basically want a whole story about your relationship with photos and proof! it was madness the stuff they require. you need to be earning at least CDN$20,700 (i think) to be eligible to sponsor. it's grand if you have a job, but i don't so can't sponsor! hubby gonna see if he can get a U35 visa instead. what does your bf do for a living? any chance he could apply under the skilled workers program?

• Advertisement

on that note, is it difficult to obtain a UK license? i think it's a bit unfair to say no to ireland but yes to UK when we drive on the same bloody side of the road/car

wrote:

I've just had a look on the Canadian Gov web site and your right, mad! I must be a terrible GF, I havent taken photos of the two of us in ages!! haha

My BF is a bricklayer-Not really the most sought after trade in Canada, but he's pretty handy in construction, dry wall ...

We have about 15 thou Canadian $ saved- I better hope I get a job when I get to Calgary!

My sources in Canada tell me to just get him over on the under 35's programme then get the job to sponsor him?? But I'm afraid that wont happen!

If I hear anymore I'll let ya know!

I've just had a look on the Canadian Gov web site and your right, mad! I must be a terrible GF, I havent taken photos of the two of us in ages!! haha

My BF is a bricklayer-Not really the most sought after trade in Canada, but he's pretty handy in construction, dry wall ...

We have about 15 thou Canadian $ saved- I better hope I get a job when I get to Calgary!

My sources in Canada tell me to just get him over on the under 35's programme then get the job to sponsor him?? But I'm afraid that wont happen!

If I hear anymore I'll let ya know!

definitely! cheers!
    we're going to do the same thing as you mentioned above (hopefully!)

on that note, is it difficult to obtain a UK license? i think it's a bit unfair to say no to ireland but yes to UK when we drive on the same bloody side of the road/car

its an agreement between the two countries is all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

on that note, is it difficult to obtain a UK license?

You have to go to a DVLA office in the UK to swap your Irish license for a UK one. They will send your UK license to your UK address.
    i think it's a bit unfair to say no to ireland but yes to UK when we drive on the same bloody side of the road/car

It's because they are part of The Commonwealth of Nations.

Honestly I've no intention of coming back here so I'm wondering if someone has went over and got another visa for themselves once the U35 has ran out? Just wondering how to go about it, I think it's called a permanent resident visa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Getting PR is difficult unless you have a skill that is in short supply in Canada. Your options are here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 coolcougar07

there are two of us going to canada to set up life for families following after 6 to 8 wk period. whats the best way to handle this . qualified carpenter with ten tears work in states and experienced labourer in all aspects. his family to follow on after set up and my partner to follow after 3 to 6 mt period . plase reply through experience not hersay thanks lads

what visa did you apply for ?does age matter and how much and how long? leaving in march'11

• Advertisement

need help!
    departing in march for canada can i get visa through in time and what visa should i get !qualified carpenter with 10 years experience in states thanks

Advertisement