Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭BangBeater

Hey guys...

Anyone know when the new visas for 2011 are issued?

I need to bust a move! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭louisejscott

Canadian Embassey says it opens for applications on 18th Jan...Thank God...the sooner the better:D

Canadian Embassey says it opens for applications on 18th Jan...Thank God...the sooner the better:D

Ah excellent...

Thanks Louise!

No worries Bang Beater- you should apply directly through the embassey it's ALOT cheaper than USITs and this is their first year taking direct applications.

No worries Bang Beater- you should apply directly through the embassey it's ALOT cheaper than USITs and this is their first year taking direct applications.

What's the difference overall then applying direct against going through USIT... minus the huge saving of course!!

• Advertisement

I'm not sure as they don't have any details up on the site yet but it can't be that different as all USIT do is apply to the embassey for you and then charge you an arm and a leg for flights and health insurance!! I'm assuming it's the same as any other year- 2 options of visa, must have police cert (but must be within 3 months now) etc- then book your own flights and sort out your own health insurance- think VHI are doing special cover now for people emigrating. Guess we'll find out of the 18th:rolleyes:

If you google IEC Canada the French version (written in English) is open and that will give you details on the 2 types of visa's and requirements etc- as far as I am aware the Irish IEC program is very similar...but if anyones knows different???

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭gambit83

Ok so I’m waiting for the Canadian embassy to reopen on Jan 18th in order to apply for the under35 visa since Usit seem to be a total rip off...but I'm wondering is there anything I should be doing in the mean time or should have done already that will help speed up my application?

Also does anyone know how long in general the visa takes to process?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭gambit83

Helix wrote: »
    as i say, doesnt affect me anyway

i did my usit visa time, now im on a proper one

Helix did you get an extension on your visa or sponsorship?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

gambit83 wrote: »
    Ok so I’m waiting for the Canadian embassy to reopen on Jan 18th in order to apply for the under35 visa since Usit seem to be a total rip off...but I'm wondering is there anything I should be doing in the mean time or should have done already that will help speed up my application?

Also does anyone know how long in general the visa takes to process?

It's been mentioned on a few threads but you could be getting you r Police cert in order, search back on this forum for details
    Save like a maniac!

I thought your police cert now had to been valid within 3 months of your travel date and as such unless your hoping to get your visa asap and leave asap your police cert would be out of date?? I could be wrong it's all very confusing.:confused:

• Advertisement

I thought your police cert now had to been valid within 3 months of your travel date and as such unless your hoping to get your visa asap and leave asap your police cert would be out of date?? I could be wrong it's all very confusing.:confused:

It was my understanding the visa had to be within 3 months of the Visa being granted?
    I am open to correction here, because we did all in less than 3 months last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Francesca de la Riviera del Connemara

Hi there.

I've spent a lot of today reading your threads on USIT and how to apply for a Canadian Work Holiday visa, as I hope to apply this year. I got lots of valuable information from many of you, so thanks a mil. :-)

Here's my contribution....I emailed the Canadian Embassy in Dublin earlier today, for clarification on several things and they told me to access the following link for all the info I required. It is exactly what I wanted. Check out:

www.Ireland.gc.ca

and select the International Experience Canada link. From what I understand, from 2011 onwards you do not HAVE to go through USIT to apply for this visa. You can now apply directly by submitting an application to the Government of Canada, for a fraction of the price. Or you can still go through USIT (if you are mad enough to).

The initiative will officially open for the upcoming year on January 18th, 2011. On that date you will find instructions on the link above on how to obtain, prepare, and submit an application package.

So there you go. The times they are a changing! Wohoo! And obviously, that means you don't have to book your flights or insurance through USIT either. You can shop around for a good deal. Just make sure both meet the Canadian Government requirements.

Bonne chance! :)

ok now I'm more confused- I was going to apply for my visa on 18th January as it is first come first served but I can't actaully go until September 2011- I though the visa was valid for you to travel up until 31 January 2012 but your police cert had to be within 3 months of your travel date and as such this could be submitted at a later date? so confusing!!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Hi there.

I've spent a lot of today reading your threads on USIT and how to apply for a Canadian Work Holiday visa, as I hope to apply this year. I got lots of valuable information from many of you, so thanks a mil. :-)

Here's my contribution....I emailed the Canadian Embassy in Dublin earlier today, for clarification on several things and they told me to access the following link for all the info I required. It is exactly what I wanted. Check out:

www.Ireland.gc.ca

and select the International Experience Canada link. From what I understand, from 2011 onwards you do not HAVE to go through USIT to apply for this visa. You can now apply directly by submitting an application to the Government of Canada, for a fraction of the price. Or you can still go through USIT (if you are mad enough to).

The initiative will officially open for the upcoming year on January 18th, 2011. On that date you will find instructions on the link above on how to obtain, prepare, and submit an application package.

So there you go. The times they are a changing! Wohoo! And obviously, that means you don't have to book your flights or insurance through USIT either. You can shop around for a good deal. Just make sure both meet the Canadian Government requirements.

This is old news

Well it wasn't 'old news' to me and my friends who are interested in going to Canada this year.

We were all going to apply through USIT up until recently.

Maybe there will be others who didn't know this info either and will appreciate my contribution.

ok now I'm more confused- I was going to apply for my visa on 18th January as it is first come first served but I can't actaully go until September 2011- I though the visa was valid for you to travel up until 31 January 2012 but your police cert had to be within 3 months of your travel date and as such this could be submitted at a later date? so confusing!!!!:eek:

Right I'm going to stay out of this police cert business because it clearly didn't apply to me last year and I am not an expert.
    It's maybe best to wait til the programme opens and ask the embassy directly

Hi there.

www.Ireland.gc.ca

FWIW this was never true.
    I booked my own flights and Insurance last year

Check out:

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx?lang=eng

Application Process
    As stated above, beginning in 2011, Irish citizens will have the option of submitting an application to the IEC directly to the Government of Canada, or by purchasing application assistance and additional services from USIT. For more information on what additional services they offer, please visit their website.

The IEC charges a Participation Fee of $150 CDN (about €110), but you will now pay this fee by electronic bank transfer to the Government of Canada only after you have been notified by email that your application has been accepted.

Other aspects of the application process will remain the same. As a legal requirement in order to be eligible to be issued a temporary work permit, you will still need to obtain and submit police certification from Ireland, and if approved as a participant you will also be required to purchase comprehensive travel medical insurance that will remain active for the duration of your working holiday.

Important Note: Please note if you wish to apply for the IEC in 2011 you should immediately begin the propcess of appplying for a Police Certificate from every country you have lived in for more than 6 months. Applicants for Police Certificates from Ireland should make an application in writing to the Superintendent in charge of the district where they reside, or formally resided in the Republic of Ireland. A listing is available on the Station Directory section of the An Garda Síochána website: www.garda.ie

Well it wasn't 'old news' to me and my friends who are interested in going to Canada this year.

We were all going to apply through USIT up until recently.

Maybe there will be others who didn't know this info either and will appreciate my contribution.

well if you have been checking this site with the last month or 2 you would of known that it really is old news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

It's your application date, not your travel date that counts with your police cert. I got my UK and Irish police certs in December 2009, applied for the visa in Jan 2010 and I'm off to Canada in 2 and a half weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Well it saved me going searching for it so nice one Francesca etc etc etc.

Thanks that's great I'll get my police certs now then. I assume I just go to my local police station- do I need to bring anything with me. Also I lived for a year in Germany on erasmus about 6 years ago does anyone know if I need to get a German police cert and if so how I go about doing this?

Thanks that's great I'll get my police certs now then. I assume I just go to my local police station- do I need to bring anything with me. Also I lived for a year in Germany on erasmus about 6 years ago does anyone know if I need to get a German police cert and if so how I go about doing this?

Just go to police station with i.d and they will give you a form to fill out, don't tell them you have lived in germany how are they going to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Does anyone know if a fingerprint check is required for an Australian Police check? I thought last year that it was changing and that a police cert was only necessary from Ireland?

FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    Does anyone know if a fingerprint check is required for an Australian Police check? I thought last year that it was changing and that a police cert was only necessary from Ireland?

yes you are correct it is only needed from ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

gustafo wrote: »
    yes you are correct it is only needed from ireland.

Thanks Gustafo, thats what I though I had read - not sure about the following then though in the previous post (from the IEC Ireland page) - this seems to say you still need them from countries you have lived in for more than 6 months...might just be safer to apply for an Oz and NZ one (and hopefully the name check in Oz will do without the need for a fingerprint check)

Important Note: Please note if you wish to apply for the IEC in 2011 you should immediately begin the propcess of appplying for a Police Certificate from every country you have lived in for more than 6 months.

gustafo wrote: »
    Just go to police station with i.d and they will give you a form to fill out, don't tell them you have lived in germany how are they going to know.

If you flew out of Germany a couple of times over the course of they year to places outside the EU there may be stamps in your passport that would cause questions
    Passport control here checked every page of my passport as one of the first steps in immigration
    It may not be a good idea to withhold this information

didn't fly outside the EU so no stamps on my passport but either way think I'm asking for trouble...would rather just get a german police cert so if anyone knows has this is done from Ireland it would be great. Thanks

red menace wrote: »
    If you flew out of Germany a couple of times over the course of they year to places outside the EU there may be stamps in your passport that would cause questions
    Passport control here checked every page of my passport as one of the first steps in immigration
    It may not be a good idea to with hold this information

Easy just get a new passport thats what i did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

didn't fly outside the EU so no stamps on my passport but either way think I'm asking for trouble...would rather just get a german police cert so if anyone knows has this is done from Ireland it would be great. Thanks

You send a form to the Bundesjustizamt in Bonn. Details and application forms can be had here:
    http://www.bundesjustizamt.de/nn_1316090/EN/Topics/Strafrecht/BZR/BZRInhalte/WohnortA.html

Good luck with their officialspeak version of English!

Advertisement