Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Zodiac12345

I take my hat off to you.

I am still finding it hard to believe though, i know this is being negative but there must be some catch. Sure why would anyone go through USIT so???

Anyway well played.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Niamh84

Did anyone hear of www.visafirst.com i was at a Fas job fair and this company had a stand. The guy said that they offer the same kind of working holiday visa as Usit but that they dont do flights and insurance so you have to organise that yourself. It seemed ideal. We filled in our details and the guy said that we'd get a call when registration opens. But i had a look at their website and theres no details of a canadian working holiday visa. Anyone know anything about it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Niamh84 wrote: »
    Did anyone hear of www.visafirst.com i was at a Fas job fair and this company had a stand. The guy said that they offer the same kind of working holiday visa as Usit but that they dont do flights and insurance so you have to organise that yourself.

If you don't need to go through Usit going through Visafirst is just the same. It's a middleman that fills in the form for you and sends it to whatever embassy and charges you a few quid for it. If you can apply from the embassys website then they're always cheaper.

The info on the Visafirst website wasn't that hard to find though.
    http://www.visafirst.com/en/canada_student_visa_info.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Niamh84

Unfortunately I have to do it through the Usit under 35 programme or similar as I dont have a job offer. I saw the skilled worker and student option on the Visa First website just not the working holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭jimmypitt

I don't think you can apply directly to the Canadian High Commission. I think you have to go through USIT. I emailed the Canadian High Commission querying this and they replied with this...

If you are an Irish citizen, aged between 18 and 35 (inclusive), you may be eligible to apply for one of the Youth Mobility Programmes for Ireland. Please visit http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/work-travail/index.aspx?lang=eng for more information about entry requirements and how to apply. Please note that applications and enquiries must be submitted to USIT and not to the High Commission directly. The Youth Mobility Programmes are subject to quotas. When these have been reached, USIT may have a waitlist in operation for 2010. For more information enquire with them directly using their enquiry form.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 peterwhilluk

hi
    can i have the email of the Commision in London, i havent been able to get it from their website?

Theres no mention of USIT here.
    http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/work-travail/ym_ireland-mj_irland.aspx?lang=eng

you just apply for the forms,and then return them to the UK.

ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭jimmypitt

hi
    can i have the email of the Commision in London, i havent been able to get it from their website?

Theres no mention of USIT here.
    http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/work-travail/ym_ireland-mj_irland.aspx?lang=eng

you just apply for the forms,and then return them to the UK.

ta

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/offices-bureaux/contact_visa_contactez.aspx?lang=eng

I didn't get email address...I just went through the contact section if you follow and sent them a message...I would much rather just apply directly to the Canadian Embassy, but judging from the response they gave me it appears you cannot do this...I presume USIT have just struck a deal with them and paid for all available visas...I replied to their email for clarification..I will post response when they get back to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

does anyone know the exact date the under 35's programme for 2010 is opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

How much in total would this program cost do yous think?

I have been out for work for a year and am sick of it, do you think itd be easy to get office work in toronto?

I see the course is 489, so what else is there in the costs???

Cant clearly see what the total is likely to be, rough figure? Maybe someone has done it or has it booked totally..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭rivermetimbers

hello all i bit the bullet and booked visa today, have to be over there before the 31st of jan, so not much time....
    vancouver is my first stop... i expect to spend alot of time on here in the coming weeks

• Advertisement

question guys, do i have to get a police report from Australia, i lived there for 3 years, home in Ireland over a year now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

welcome aboard, im in vancouver its a ****ing super city

• Registered Users Posts: 37 irishguy34

yes you need a police cert it takes around a month

any 1 reccomend a good hostel to stay for a week or so?

cambie was ok for us, but there was mice in the communal rooms and the kitchen! not the worst hostel we stayed in i'd say :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭tadhgrrr

im in the middle of the application process for the late entry to teh 09 program.

as far as USITs website is concerned:

"Can I book my flights with USIT via the online booking engine?
    Unfortunately we don’t offer this service at present. This is partly due to the fact that for certain dates we make an arrangement with airlines for a price break participants on this programme. It is also due to the fact that everything for your Canada programme (flights, insurance, etc) must be linked and in the same booking reference. Please note all flights must be booked through USIT, you can contact the Call Centre on 016021600.
    "

However their website is wrong in a number of other places (eg. the requirements for needing a medical are blatantly in contradiction of what it says on the Canadian Governements website ... which they link).

anyway theyre quoting me 880 euro for flights to vancouver (which airtransat do for about 450) and are telling me that I have to pay before friday 27th but ill have no idea when my work documents will arrive as they were just submitted to USIT today!

pretty outrageous abuse of their position...why does Ireland foster this kind of thing in so many sectors :(

irishguy34 wrote: »
    yes you need a police cert it takes around a month

no way! well that means i am screwed right? reading up on it there and i have to have my visa and flights paid for by the 27th nov and all revelant documentation filled in ie. police reports.
    im fcuked aint i?:(

they will wait for the police cert, they make exceptions for that and pretty much that only.

my girlfriend had to get one too from oz, they take 2-3 weeks. we even rang them over there to try hurry it up.

to be quite honest, looking back on it...i really dont think she had to bother.

when we got to canada, she left ALL her visa stuff in her bag...everything. we told the immigration control cop that it was all outside on the baggage collection area if we could go out and get it, and she said it was fine and just stamped her visa anyway. maybe they had her on the system or something, i dunno. but she got into the country and got a full visa stamp on her passport and all she had, was her passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

Hi all,

I just wanted to ask a question and wanted to see if anyone can shed a new angle on this. Can you fly back to Ireland from a different Candian city than you originally flew into?

A representative of Usit said that only the dates can change, not the itinerary but from generally reading this thread Usit have shown that their word isn't infallible.

Apologies if this has been brought up already.

Táck wrote: »
    they will wait for the police cert, they make exceptions for that and pretty much that only.

my girlfriend had to get one too from oz, they take 2-3 weeks. we even rang them over there to try hurry it up.

to be quite honest, looking back on it...i really dont think she had to bother.

when we got to canada, she left ALL her visa stuff in her bag...everything. we told the immigration control cop that it was all outside on the baggage collection area if we could go out and get it, and she said it was fine and just stamped her visa anyway. maybe they had her on the system or something, i dunno. but she got into the country and got a full visa stamp on her passport and all she had, was her passport.

phew... thanks tack relief mate!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kate0987

I can't see where it says Irish people can apply. Are you sure this is right? if it is it would be great as usit are a rip off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kate0987

You don't have to book your flights with them, it's a scam to get money from you. I know this from people i met in Canada who got visa's from usit and booked their own flights and insurance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭tadhgrrr

you're right! i emailed them last week asking if i was legally required to purchase flights with them...they took a while to reply but I just g0t this email...seems you can book your own flights after all...and USIT charge you €40 to look at it and say "yep thats going to Canada alright!"

Dear Tadhg

If you wish to book your own flights you can do so but we do recommend that you purchase a flexible ticket as you may need to make a change.Also when you book your own flights you will have to email canada@usit.ie with a copy of your flight details as we need to know your travel plans, once we receive these details you can pay the fee of €40.00. Otherwise if you would like to give me your flight details I can see what is the cheapest ticket that we have an offer?

With regard to insurance if you wish to use your own policy you must post the full policy with the attached form so we can ensure that your policy meets the requirements of the programme. Once the policy has been approved you will need to pay an administration fee of Eur40.00.

Living and working in Van so if you need any advice on life here feel free to let me know

Arriving on the 28th to Vancouver and I am looking for a nice hotel to stay for a few days thats centre to whats going on on New years eve, whats good to do on new years eve?
    Any good hostels? Could you recommend a good place to live?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Have seen the Urban Hideaway hostel mentioned in a few places as a decent hostel. May be worth looking at a hotel if you dont intend cooking. Only really works cheaper for hostel if you were planning on sharing a dorm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Booboochild

minnie726 wrote: »
    Hey - I'm waiting on my visa to be issued shortly and will be travelling in December - i'm travelling on my own but would luv to meet up with any Irish that are heading over later this year...

Hi minnie,

I am travelling in Jan 2010. Where ya going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭enner43

Does anybody know when these visas are released for 2010?

ibh wrote: »
    Have seen the Urban Hideaway hostel mentioned in a few places as a decent hostel. May be worth looking at a hotel if you dont intend cooking. Only really works cheaper for hostel if you were planning on sharing a dorm.

Cheers will probably take a hotel for a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Hi IrishGuy, if you're coming over to Canada by yourself I'd strongly recommend a hostel rather than a hotel.

I spent a few weeks in a hostel when I got here, and had an absolute blast. Met loads of people who are here to work & travel for a year or two, and in my opinion its the best way to make some new friends and network when you first arrive.

Even if you're not too keen on shared accommodation, pretty much all hostels have a few private bedrooms. And you'll always find someone to talk to in the hostel common areas! But in a hotel, ya might get a bit lonely :pac:

Anyway just my 2 cents, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

Do not stay in a hotel in Vancouver unless it's called The Four Seasons, The Fairmont etc i.e. expensive, low cost hotels in Vancouver are where Junkies, homeless, prostitutes etc stay.
    Stay in a hostel, it's a great way to meet people.

Advertisement