Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 hollyday

Hi guys, I'm heading to oz this coming June for a year and hope to go straight to Canada after this for another year (May 2011-2012) on a whv. Does anyone know if I can apply from Oz for the visa, or would I need to return home and apply through London? It seems to be quite difficult to find much info on the canada whv anywhere. Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Fingers crossed Aer Lingus will be flying out of Cork airport Sunday morning!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

retalivity wrote: »
    Ive spent 15 months of the past 3 years living abroad, and i'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that the visa was open to people who moved "temporarily" abroad, either as part of study, or work experience (which i think equates to a gap year, or a year teaching, or a year in oz etc....).
    I can't remember where exactly where I saw that, as I was worried too. I've sent away my application anyway. Probably better to get a definitive answer from IEC.
    I'll keep looking for where I saw that though!!!

In the same boat myself except it was almost 3 years in total - it was all temporary though (Oz WHV and NZ WHV) so fingers crossed...sending mine in today

bellasolis wrote: »
    Hi All

If this has been covered before, my apologies, cant seem to find much on the subject but Im needing to get an Oz police Cert... at moment im in Uni in Edinburgh... Do I need to get fingerprints before I send off to Oz for cert and do I just head into a police station here in Scotland to get them?

Thanks

BellaSolis- Long time reader, first time poster :)

You only need a Garda police cert now and no longer one for other countries that you have lived in - another great thing they have changed this year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭louisejscott

Are you sure about the Garda cert from other countries as the link on the pack says "In general, you and everyone in your family who is 18 years of age or over need to obtain a police certificate. You must obtain a police certificate from each country or territory where you have lived for six consecutive months or longer since reaching the age of 18.
    The certificate must have been issued no more than three months before you submit your application."
    If the original certificate is neither in English nor in French, submit both the certificate and the original copy of a translation prepared by an accredited translator with your application."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/intro.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭GGirl2010

GGirl2010 wrote: »
    oh ok... thank you.. ill compare to skyscanner... you settling in ok...

is it possible to get open flight tickets like year round.. fro this year to next year.. as it dont allow me to do this on some websites to book.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

has anyone applied for USIT's service yet? The site basically just had a heart attack around 10:30am, it went down some time between 12 and 1 aswell. Grrrr!!!

edit: back now, but getting header errors. Anyone else?

General error occurred. Error creating booking file : System.InvalidCastException: Conversion from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid. at Usit.Booking.Entities.Programmes.Create(String bookingRef, ProgInfo progInfo) at Usit.Booking.BusinessLogic.BookingManager.CreateBookingFromProgramme(String SID, ProgInfo progInfo)

That's the error I've been getting .......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

DamienH wrote: »
    General error occurred. Error creating booking file : System.InvalidCastException: Conversion from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid. at Usit.Booking.Entities.Programmes.Create(String bookingRef, ProgInfo progInfo) at Usit.Booking.BusinessLogic.BookingManager.CreateBookingFromProgramme(String SID, ProgInfo progInfo)

That's the error I've been getting .......

Yeah, I was trying for a friend of mine and the same thing happened. Looks like Usit were not able to cope. No change there then.

you'd think they'd have learned, but then again it is usit.....

• Advertisement

Same thing happened last year, just keep at it.

I think you can only book return flights about 6 months in advance or something like that anyway. Just book a date and you can change your return date as the time draws nearer.

I'll keep plugging away alright, thanks for the encouragement :D

It should go through...eventually. I was panicking but all was ok in the end. Thankfully the usit site didn't freeze on me when I put in my credit card details!

it seems to be running a bit quicker now, hopefully only the die hards are left! :D

I just keep clicking back to step two, and then to step three. Does that sound ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

Do you have to pay now when your applying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 RabidMonkey

I've been banging my head off the screen since 11:15. I started at 09:55 waiting for this to open. I called my bank apparently they recieved a request from the site and they approved the transaction. I've not received an e-mail though or confirmation. Any ideas whats going on? I'm about fit to cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ronan2505

Usit take €299 today and from what I gather the €110 is on top of that once your visa is granted which is payable direct (not sure but I dont think the €110 is included in the €299)

Yeah I'm sure - you dont need them to apply initially (you only need the Garda Cert) but you may still be requested to supply one - The Oz ones are a nightmare as they require fingerprints and cost $150 or so...

I have spent more than six months in another country previously to applying to the IEC. Do I need to submit police certification from this country?

Generally, you are only required to submit a police certificate from the country of which you are a citizen. However, the Visa Section at the High Commission of Canada to the UK reserves the right to ask for police certificates from other countries you have visited or resided in for more than six (6) months over the last five (5) years, should it be deemed necessary.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/faq.aspx#spouses

• Advertisement

I think I'm going to give it another hour and a half, and then I'm putting it up to their site not working or something. It's loading pretty fast now, well much faster than when I started anyway!

Why is anyone still going through USIT this year and not direct to the IEC?

ronan2505 wrote: »
    Usit take €299 today and from what I gather the €110 is on top of that once your visa is granted which is payable direct (not sure but I dont think the €110 is included in the €299)

Why on earth would you pay USIT $299 to check if you completed your form correctly? Seems like madness, trying to squeeze the last few bucks in the last year before they're completed booted off the visa program

I'm away from home, so managing stuff is a bit of a pain for me. If I was at home I'm fairly sure I'd post it tbh.

The forms direct from the IEC are pretty intimidating if you haven't done this before. I've some questions about certain details, and I'm worried about how to approach it. I don't want my application rejected on a technicality and wind up losing my place

I have my application from the IEC, I am doing it for a friend. However my Garda cert has not come through yet!!!!! so I cant send off the application until I have that. So I am thinking about doing Uist also, Your thoughts welcome?

ronan2505 wrote: »
    I have my application from the IEC, I am doing it for a friend. However my Garda cert has not come through yet!!!!! so I cant send off the application until I have that. So I am thinking about doing Uist also, Your thoughts welcome?

When did you apply for your garda cert? It only took me a week to get mine which was pretty sweet...I cant imagine the 5000 limit will be gone immediately as i bet most people are in the same boat and only applying for Garda certs now

2 week ago!! The young monkey told me to apply to the vetting in Tipperary. Then had a letter back a week later telling me I had to go to the super in my local station (I had gone to my local station first before being told to apply to tipperary!), then went back to my station and spoke to a guard who knew what he was on about, went back later in the day and some other young guard was on the desk telling me I had to go to tipperary, well it was like talking to the wall!! Eventually he took the forms etc off me, WEnt up earlier today and told I would have it any day now!! SO for anyone who is told they have to go through the vetting in Tipperary, you have been told!!

God damn you've gotta love this country. We know how to do things efficiently.

• Advertisement

I presume there's still no luck with anyone? I've been at it 3 hours now, still not one person has said they've been accepted. I just feel like USIT are taking us for the ride.

Advertisement