Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ronan2505

Nope still at it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

I've got someone in Canada trying for me now aswell, let's hope 2 heads are better than one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭louisejscott

thats the best news I've heard all day- having a nitemare with germany and was gonna cost me a fortune in a recognised translater even though I speak germen!!! thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

ronan2505 wrote: »
    2 week ago!! The young monkey told me to apply to the vetting in Tipperary. Then had a letter back a week later telling me I had to go to the super in my local station (I had gone to my local station first before being told to apply to tipperary!), then went back to my station and spoke to a guard who knew what he was on about, went back later in the day and some other young guard was on the desk telling me I had to go to tipperary, well it was like talking to the wall!! Eventually he took the forms etc off me, WEnt up earlier today and told I would have it any day now!! SO for anyone who is told they have to go through the vetting in Tipperary, you have been told!!

F*ck they havent a clue - its A Garda Cert you are looking for not A Garda Vetting. I got this run around too and we submitted a postal order for 6euro with our details...When I got my police cert back it had the postal orders with a note that they are only need for Garda Vetting and not Carda Certificates (specifically marked for the Consulate of Canada)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭SarahToronto

I'm Irish living in Toronto for a long while now, here's some advice on this new visa system, I'm an hold hand at dealing with visas at this stage!
    OKAY, you're saving money, don't bother give it to USIT. The change for 2011 is simple: for the first time Irish people just like the Brits can apply directly to the canada immigration folks, not to the USIT third body, where you're charged ridiculous prices.
    Breakdown of USIT fees:
    1. €299 is their 'handling and processing fee'
    2. €110 is the visa fee by the canadian immigration folks.
    3. €800 or so, You have to book your flight through USIT which they take a nice profit from.
    4. €400 Insurance through USIT - you have to buy their insurance.

Breakdown of Costs applying straight to Canada Immigration in France:
    1. €110 is the cost of the paperwork. You only pay this when your visa forms are going to be accepted. - i.e. they don't reserve a place for you.
    2. €600 You can buy really cheap flights yourself using whatever airlines you want - tip: don't fly through US - customs are evil!
    3. €300 or so for any insurance you want to go with once it covers you for one year.

What is USIT offering? ... You can still get cheap accommodation and access to SWAP (the USIT type version in Canada) who give you an orientation meeting, tips, access to cheap/discounted hostels etc. So really SWAP give you nothing. I went with them first time round - retardly expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

same old errors........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 RabidMonkey

Hey folks, call your credit card company. Apparently my transaction went through this morning, the website just never told me. I've wasted the last 4 and a half hours trying to reregister.

I'm Irish living in Toronto for a long while now, here's some advice on this new visa system, I'm an hold hand at dealing with visas at this stage!
    OKAY, you're saving money, don't bother give it to USIT. The change for 2011 is simple: for the first time Irish people just like the Brits can apply directly to the canada immigration folks, not to the USIT third body, where you're charged ridiculous prices.
    Breakdown of USIT fees:
    3. €800 or so, You have to book your flight through USIT which they take a nice profit from.

1. €110 is the cost of the paperwork. You only pay this when your visa forms are going to be accepted. - i.e. they don't reserve a place for you.
    2. €600 You can buy really cheap flights yourself using whatever airlines you want - tip: don't fly through US - customs are evil!
    3. €300 or so for any insurance you want to go with once it covers you for one year.

What is USIT offering? ... You can still get cheap accommodation and access to SWAP (the USIT type version in Canada) who give you an orientation meeting, tips, access to cheap/discounted hostels etc. So really SWAP give you nothing. I went with them first time round - retardly expensive.

Exactly - its madness to go through USIT - the IEC forms couldnt be anymore straight forward...they give you an exact checklist of what is needed...and the application form itself is only 3 pages of the most basic information - anyone going through USIT needs their heads examined

No way, this gets better and better!!

FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    Exactly - its madness to go through USIT - the IEC forms couldnt be anymore straight forward...they give you an exact checklist of what is needed...and the application form itself is only 3 pages of the most basic information - anyone going through USIT needs their heads examined

Just spoken to my mate Im doing this for (I have the forms / kit with the barcode) he said when he went to do it through the embassy it came up that he couldnt because he was over 30 and was only for `18 - 30, From my understanding it is 18 - 35, so baffled why, hence why he is trying through Usit.

• Advertisement

Well you dont have to buy their flights and insurance. The 300 is a bit of a gut punch, but for good advice on a the things I'm concerned about I'll pay it. For example I've lived in the UK for 2 of the last 3 years, one year as a student one year working. How does this effect me? I've trawled the net looking for an answer and I couldn't find anything. There are a few others to worry about like medical conditions etc, which I've found very hard to get any info on. It's steep but for the peace of mind I'll pay it.

Well you dont have to buy their flights and insurance. The 300 is a bit of a gut punch, but for good advice on a the things I'm concerned about I'll pay it. For example I've lived in the UK for 2 of the last 3 years, one year as a student one year working. How does this effect me? I've trawled the net looking for an answer and I couldn't find anything. There are a few others to worry about like medical conditions etc, which I've found very hard to get any info on. It's steep but for the peace of mind I'll pay it.

All the more reason NOT to go through USIT. They cant help on this, if you are not eligible you will loose the money paid to USIT. If you apply directly you will only pay if you get accepted...USIT do no more than take your details and use them to fill in the exact same details - its completely false to think you are paying for peace of mind - its actually the complete opposite

Just spoken to my mate Im doing this for (I have the forms / kit with the barcode) he said when he went to do it through the embassy it came up that he couldnt because he was over 30 and was only for `18 - 30, From my understanding it is 18 - 35, so baffled why, hence why he is trying through Usit.

Not sure where all this confusion about 18-30 is coming from...its always been 35 and this is clearly stated on the website and forms - going through USIT offers nothing different - its the exact same visa with the exact same eligibility requirements...people dont seem to be getting this

To be eligible for the Working Holiday category you must:

1. Be 18-35 years old inclusive at the time your application is received. Your application must be stamped as received by the Embassy of Canada in Paris on or after your 18th birthday, and before your 36th birthday;

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/working_holiday-vacances_travail.aspx

Yeah...but...what abou...sh*t!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Breakdown of USIT fees:

I marked in bold the wrong bit there. You do not have to book your flights or insurance through Usit

Is he on the Oz site because they are def 18 to 30

red menace wrote: »
    I marked in bold the wrong bit there. You do not have to book your flights or insurance through Usit

Yeah but I think they always slyly try to bully people into thinking they do need to book them with USIT...one of the main reasons for complaints over the last few years

Is he on the Oz site because they are def 18 to 30

yeah sounds more likely

Yeah but I think they always slyly try to bully people into thinking they do need to book them with USIT...one of the main reasons for complaints over the last few years

Politely and firmly decline, thats what I did and there was no hassle, just be sure to ask them for a definition of what they deem as acceptable insurance cover

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭GGirl2010

I think you can only book return flights about 6 months in advance or something like that anyway. Just book a date and you can change your return date as the time draws nearer.

ah ok!!! hmm.. yeah well thats mukcing about in my book!! y cant all sites do open tickets lol...!!! i think ill do USITS way!! but they better not charge 2 grand!! that be taken the buscuit.... better be below 1500 euro....

where to go on my arrival .... LOLZ!!! no idea... maby ill just city centre it!!!

• Advertisement

Politely and firmly decline, thats what I did and there was no hassle, just be sure to ask them for a definition of what they deem as acceptable insurance cover

doesnt bother me - wouldnt go near USIT with a bargepole...

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭LuckyG

Yeah I'm sure - you dont need them to apply initially (you only need the Garda Cert) but you may still be requested to supply one - The Oz ones are a nightmare as they require fingerprints and cost $150 or so...

I have spent more than six months in another country previously to applying to the IEC. Do I need to submit police certification from this country?

Generally, you are only required to submit a police certificate from the country of which you are a citizen. However, the Visa Section at the High Commission of Canada to the UK reserves the right to ask for police certificates from other countries you have visited or resided in for more than six (6) months over the last five (5) years, should it be deemed necessary.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/faq.aspx#spouses

That rule only changed yesterday. Prior to Wednesday it said you needed one. They changed it.

I sent off mine on Monday with my UK cert and my gf couldn't send hers off as she was waiting for her UK cert. She sent it off today with no cert with the new rule.

Wonder why they changed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Politely and firmly decline, thats what I did and there was no hassle

Not even firmly. I think it's daft that people get bent out of shape when a company tries to sell them stuff. I got my visa with them last year and had no hassle either booking flights. The Usit lady gave me a quote and told me I could go off and price around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

hey all, just realised i made a huge mistake with my iec application!! the question was "During the past five years have you or any family member mentioned in section 1, lived for more than 6 months in Canada or any other
    country than your country of citizenship (nationality)? i answered no but i lived in australia for a year dont ask me how i managed it!! i even have i worked in oz on my cv!! i didnt say how long though! do yous think i should just leave it or phone the embassy tommorow and let them know! my application is in paris now by the way :eek: thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Ah €1500 should get you to Canada if you go with usit. Well, that's what I paid for flights, insurance (with winter sports cover), visa and Canadian sim card.

Ah €1500 should get you to Canada if you go with usit. Well, that's what I paid for flights, insurance (with winter sports cover), visa and Canadian sim card.

hmm.. usit can be tight sometimes!!! better be! .. il pop into em sat...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I just applied today and got a tracking number of some sort but there isn't anywhere to track the progress and haven't recieved any mail yet (not even an automated response) is this the same for everyone?

hollyday wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm heading to oz this coming June for a year and hope to go straight to Canada after this for another year (May 2011-2012) on a whv. Does anyone know if I can apply from Oz for the visa, or would I need to return home and apply through London? It seems to be quite difficult to find much info on the canada whv anywhere. Thanks :)

for the police certificate maby would need to be in ireland... Otherwise you really would need to ring up about that move .. OZ to Canada. Oz emmirations i geuss. or go into em.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Why on earth would you pay USIT $299 to check if you completed your form correctly? Seems like madness, trying to squeeze the last few bucks in the last year before they're completed booted off the visa program

Fear. My buddy just doesn't want to take the chance of screwing up. it's too important to him. BTW he got a tracking number eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cybrandian

Hey,

Just on the application form, I filled in my initial request for the appication form with my first name as John Daniel, when I really should have put my first name as John and my middle name as Daniel. Does anyone think that this will make a difference?

Also, on the police cert, it mentions my John and then my surname but no mention of my middle name, however my full name is printed on my passport and on the application form.

Does anyone think that they will be that pedantic over this? If I apply for another police cert, it is going to take another 3 weeks...

Thanks.

Advertisement