Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭GGirl2010

tipp86 wrote: »
    Anyone know where to get irish or british butter in Toronto i need it badly.

haha

• Registered Users Posts: 35 rushrovers

can anyone tell me what the cost of the usit programme will be this year like all in.... Flights visa and insurance. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Demo2011

Hi,

So I posted off my application yesterday & keep checking it, re-checking & triple checking what I sent. (not that it would make much difference as it is half way to Patis by now ) I am begining to think I have caught a serious dose of OCD here. Talking to others seems to make it worse but thought I would raise a few questions here anyway.

How pedantic are the guys in Paris going to be do you think ? I heard of a girl who says she put the wrong date on a form (15/03/2011 instead of 01/01/2011) and she is freaking out that she will be rejected.

Also, apparently the tick boxes on page 2 of the form do not print clearly ? Mine were fine but others say they had to write over in biro. Will that be ok ?

Any ideas or thoughts on how extreme the embassy will be on typo's etc ?

Demo

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭jimmybeige

I'm sure if they can understand what you've written you should be OK. If you've sent it off now there's no point worrying as it's out of your hands. If there is anything wrong with it they will send it back and you can apply again, simples. They are giving out about 6000 visas and practically everyone who applied last year got one, so don't get too worked up about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭LuckyG

feel your pain, they received mine on wednesday and i realised this morning i put in a photocopy of the garda cert instead of the original.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Demo2011

Oh NO! What can you do ? Will you wait until they kick it back at you in 4 weeks or dare you put through another application ? Is there anything that can be done ? Does anyone know if they send back the application to you if it is non-compliant etc ? LuckyG, I feel for you but perhaps they may not even notice ? (my original looked like a photocopy anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Teebco

Well I sent my forms off today - went direct through ICE itself. Fingers crossed now. It's in the lap of the gods!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

1. €299 is their 'handling and processing fee'
    2. €110 is the visa fee by the canadian immigration folks.
    3. €800 or so, You have to book your flight through USIT which they take a nice profit from.
    4. €400 Insurance through USIT - you have to buy their insurance.

Ho hum. Same old rubbish. I used Usit last year for my visa.

3: They didn't force me to book my flights through them. Has it changed for this year or do you just not know what you're talking about? At the time I priced around and took the chepeast.

4: Again you don't have to buy their insurance. You can use other insurance companies. I quoted around again and went with the Usit one anyway as for me it was the better policy. There are loads of posts on Boards for other providors. They're not the same policys though. Probably close enough for most people. But I wasn't forced to buy it.

Why do people keep posting this? I'd imagine anybody with half a brain is going to price around anyway so by posting incorrect information on Boards you're only confusing some people.

timetogo wrote: »

3: They didn't force me to book my flights through them. Has it changed for this year or do you just not know what you're talking about? At the time I priced around and took the chepeast.

4: Again you don't have to buy their insurance. You can use other insurance companies. I quoted around again and went with the Usit one anyway as for me it was the better policy. There are loads of posts on Boards for other providors. They're not the same policys though. Probably close enough for most people. But I wasn't forced to buy it.

Why do people keep posting this? I'd imagine anybody with half a brain is going to price around anyway so by posting incorrect information on Boards you're only confusing some people.

Would be interesting to know who you work for ;)

Demo2011 wrote: »
    Oh NO! What can you do ? Will you wait until they kick it back at you in 4 weeks or dare you put through another application ? Is there anything that can be done ? Does anyone know if they send back the application to you if it is non-compliant etc ? LuckyG, I feel for you but perhaps they may not even notice ? (my original looked like a photocopy anyway)

I'll have to wait it out. Thanks for your reassurance. I'm blaming the gf who suggested I make a photocopy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

LuckyG wrote: »
    Would be interesting to know who you work for ;)

Nope, it's not Usit. I just get fed up with people asking me about why I used Usit for my trip when they read some of the stuff on Boards.

You'll get it next year when (or if) you come back. It's all ahead of ya. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭SarahToronto

timetogo wrote: »

I'm only using/talking about my experiences, I am not the law!! I have applied (and been successful) for five, oh and successfully helped dozens of friends with filling our visa forms for OZ, Canada and US, you'll know what you're talking about. I'm not attacking you, 'Time to Go', I'm just saying, don't make things personal on boards.. I'm just trying to help people, so relax.

Also, I've nothing against USIT as a company, I just know how hard things (cash, jobs) are, and to save money by applying yourselves instead of paying even just the €299 extra through USIT, is something I've been urging my friends and everyone else to do. That's all.

Anyway, anyone who is worried about small things such as printing errors, small mistakes in their application, they'll be fine. Visa office guys are concerned about big errors in the application such as your name not even being remotely the same as on your passport etc. Or criminal records, or not filling out entire questions or sections in your application forms. That's all. They put it the line something like..incomplete/incorrect applications will be refused, this refers to the big mistakes I just mentioned above. I've filled out many visa forms, some with big mistakes at the beginning, some with no mistakes, don't worry once you're honest about everything on the forms.

So don't worry guys , once its in the post you can't do much about it now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

rushrovers wrote: »
    can anyone tell me what the cost of the usit programme will be this year like all in.... Flights visa and insurance. thanks

its roughly 420'ish for the visa, 300-400 for insurance and flights change depending on when ur going, how mnay stop overs ect.. but in the region of like 700-800 return

thats all roughly now, could be more, could be less

try avoid usit if u can

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭den1982

hey there. has anyone actually sent off all therer stuff to IEC in paris yet. ,myself and my friend got an e-mail back from the embassy today to say they have recieved our application....so fingers crossed we'll be accepted...anyone else done this??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 carriedayphoto

The forms direct from the IEC are pretty intimidating if you haven't done this before. I've some questions about certain details, and I'm worried about how to approach it. I don't want my application rejected on a technicality and wind up losing my place

What did you find intimidating about them? I thought they were grand!

Also, anyone have any idea how fast the visas through IEC will go? I know it's the first year they've done it this way... but I'm seriously hoping other people will be waiting for their Garda clearance like me!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭GGirl2010

TechnoPool wrote: »
    its roughly 420'ish for the visa, 300-400 for insurance and flights change depending on when ur going, how mnay stop overs ect.. but in the region of like 700-800 return

thats all roughly now, could be more, could be less

try avoid usit if u can

^^^
    yes!!! if your rich.. go to USIT!!

outdoor bbq tnight, ah sure why not:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 nahuvy

Yeah I sent mine off too and got that auto response email that they had received it. This is the part I hate waiting to see if im excepted or not. Im completely paranoid that ive filled out something wrong, how long do you think it will be before the next email confirmation?

relax peeps ya will all be fine and over here before ya know it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

TechnoPool wrote: »
    outdoor bbq tnight, ah sure why not:D

I've seen people having a bbq in -25 here in a park, wouldn't fancy it myself but they seemed happy enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

red menace wrote: »
    I've seen people having a bbq in -25 here in a park, wouldn't fancy it myself but they seemed happy enough

They must be on drugs!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 erikaboxer

Hey guys :)
    am heading over to Canada myself, probably August/early September, anyone else goin around that time?
    Also anyone any recommendations as to whether to go to Vancouver or Toronto first, should I sort out work/accommodation before I go, etc.? Never been before, only started thinkin about it on Tues so goin thru Usit..
    Cheers :)

erikaboxer wrote: »
    Hey guys :)
    am heading over to Canada myself, probably August/early September, anyone else goin around that time?
    Also anyone any recommendations as to whether to go to Vancouver or Toronto first, should I sort out work/accommodation before I go, etc.? Never been before, only started thinkin about it on Tues so goin thru Usit..
    Cheers :)

What do you work at in Ireland or what do you want to do Canada.
    It would be hard and extremely inadvisable to sort out accommodation from Ireland so you could book yourself into a hostel before you go...
    We found out apartment by walking through one of the areas with a lot of appartment blocks, nearly all had vacancy signs so we just visited each one til we found one we really liked

Work wise it may be hard to get any interviews lined up before you go with no Canadian address or phone number. But nothing stopping you sending your CV and saying the dates you will be arriving. Check out www.monster.ca, www.workopolis.ca and www.kijiji.ca to get an idea of the jobs

Cheers, so i shouldnt bother really organising that stuff before i go, just a hostel, thanks :)
    At the moment im workin casually at the aviva stadium but ive a degree and masters in HR, so if i cud get HR work then brilliant, but otherwise, just anything like retail, barwork, restaurants to get me by.. thanks for the websites

Cheers, so i shouldnt bother really organising that stuff before i go, just a hostel, thanks :)
    At the moment im workin casually at the aviva stadium but ive a degree and masters in HR, so if i cud get HR work then brilliant, but otherwise, just anything like retail, barwork, restaurants to get me by.. thanks for the websites

I wouldn't say completely not bother, it would be no harm to do a bit of research on what to expect to pay in the line of rents and areas that appeal to you to live in.
    Google street view is good for this, have a nosey around the neighbourhoods etc

ah ok, cheers. ive had a little look on craigslist so im kind of gettin an idea of what to expect. did you go through USIT? apparently with their option 1 u get a contact over there to help u with employment, accomm, etc., jus wonderin if they r helpful..
    How long should I expect for it to take to get a job?

ah ok, cheers. ive had a little look on craigslist so im kind of gettin an idea of what to expect. did you go through USIT? apparently with their option 1 u get a contact over there to help u with employment, accomm, etc., jus wonderin if they r helpful..
    How long should I expect for it to take to get a job?

Yes we went with Usit last year tbh we only used them to get the visa, we moved to a city where there was no swap orientation etc (Edmonton Alberta)
    It took me about 6 weeks to find a job in IT my wife was looking for retail or financial work she was getting interviews from the second week,
    I have no experience of other cities but that was our experience anyway hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭den1982

nahuvy wrote: »
    Yeah I sent mine off too and got that auto response email that they had received it. This is the part I hate waiting to see if im excepted or not. Im completely paranoid that ive filled out something wrong, how long do you think it will be before the next email confirmation?

im not sure when we will hear back...im hoping next week they will ask us to pay the 110.ya we are the same,fingers crossed we filled it out properly too...

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cybrandian

This is probably a very stupid question but do I need to have all my documents sorted and proof of funds before I attempt to apply for a Canadian Under 35 Work visa through IEC?

I have enough money to pay for the visa now and book my flights but I don't plan to travel until August/ September and had planned on saving my a** off between now and then...

My head has turned to mush trying to process all this information and I have given up on USIT as they're saying they will release more visas on thursday but have absolutely NO INFORMATION on their site about it! Argh! Help please!

Did anyone give you an answer to this?

I am confused about this one as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Joncol

Hi Erika,

I'm aiming to head over around that time too as unfortunately have to wait and save my dole to get the money to go, so depressing but sure hopefully the time will fly.

I've decided to head to Alberta, not sure whether Calgary or Edmonton yet as it looks like living costs are a lot less and jobs are easier to come by compared to Toronto.

Advertisement