Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭bertaluchi

Hi there,
    please take into consideration also that the weather is unbelievable up there!
    Joncol wrote: »
    Hi Erika,

I'm aiming to head over around that time too as unfortunately have to wait and save my dole to get the money to go, so depressing but sure hopefully the time will fly.

I've decided to head to Alberta, not sure whether Calgary or Edmonton yet as it looks like living costs are a lot less and jobs are easier to come by compared to Toronto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

bertaluchi wrote: »
    Hi there,
    please take into consideration also that the weather is unbelievable up there!

Yeah this weather has been a bit of a chilly one in Edmonton, we have had a load of snow in the last few weeks probably 60 CMs in the last 2.5 weeks.
    The temp has varied between -33 to today when it is just above freezing.
    Averaging probably most days around -14.
    It takes a bit of getting used too and the snow is generally removed pretty quickly.
    Clothing wise it's all about the layers, lots of thin layers and a windproof jacket would be my tip, and don't forget the gloves and hat! During very very cold weather cover your nose and mouth with a scarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Joncol

I know it sounds crazy but I actually love the winter. I love snow.

Whilst everyone was in a bad mood with the -20 temps and snow over here in December I loved it. I know it's cold of a different level over there but I think I'll enjoy it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

above 0 last day or so and for for the next few days in calgary :D

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭GGirl2010

red menace wrote: »
    Yes we went with Usit last year tbh we only used them to get the visa, we moved to a city where there was no swap orientation etc (Edmonton Alberta)
    It took me about 6 weeks to find a job in IT my wife was looking for retail or financial work she was getting interviews from the second week,
    I have no experience of other cities but that was our experience anyway hope it helps

LOL@ having a bbq in -25 degrees. red meanace.. i have gone through the direct appraoch in sending in my application to the IEC...embassy in france... just wondering i prob should wait.. to hear word from them to go ahead and book flights...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ronan2505

cybrandian wrote: »
    This is probably a very stupid question but do I need to have all my documents sorted and proof of funds before I attempt to apply for a Canadian Under 35 Work visa through IEC?

I have enough money to pay for the visa now and book my flights but I don't plan to travel until August/ September and had planned on saving my a** off between now and then...

My head has turned to mush trying to process all this information and I have given up on USIT as they're saying they will release more visas on thursday but have absolutely NO INFORMATION on their site about it! Argh! Help please!

!

When you apply for the visa part of your application is you must show you have the funds in your bank account. There is a form in the application that you have to rake to the bank and they have to sign it and stamp it. If you do not have the funds yet, you can ask a third party (there is a form for that also in the pack) to vouch, if you go down the third party route then you must include a copy of there passport etc, its all in the pack.

But the answer is yes one way or another when you apply you must show you have the funds.

Hope that helps

What did you find intimidating about them? I thought they were grand!

Also, anyone have any idea how fast the visas through IEC will go? I know it's the first year they've done it this way... but I'm seriously hoping other people will be waiting for their Garda clearance like me!

They say if everything goes smoothly in your application about 8 weeks from the date they recieve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 erikaboxer

Joncol wrote: »
    Hi Erika,

I'm aiming to head over around that time too as unfortunately have to wait and save my dole to get the money to go, so depressing but sure hopefully the time will fly.

I've decided to head to Alberta, not sure whether Calgary or Edmonton yet as it looks like living costs are a lot less and jobs are easier to come by compared to Toronto.
    hi joncol, yeah im also savin til then as i have the 3,000dollars but gotta pay my mum back when she books the flights (gettin onto Usit tomorrow to see when i shud go ahead and book them)

so ppl in general think vancouver area is the place to go rather than toronto? been lookin around online and it seems that way to me, vancouver seems to be the better area if youve never been over before..

also a quick question for anyone who might know, am gonna look into this anyway but does anyone know how it works if you get a prescription medicine over here how u get it over there?

din dins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

GGirl2010 wrote: »
    LOL@ having a bbq in -25 degrees. red meanace.. i have gone through the direct appraoch in sending in my application to the IEC...embassy in france... just wondering i prob should wait.. to hear word from them to go ahead and book flights...

TBh not sure as this is a new scheme, the most common timeframe I have seen is 6 to 8 weeks

• Advertisement

Helix wrote: »
    as i say, doesnt affect me anyway

i did my usit visa time, now im on a proper one

oh.. LMO?? LTR?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 UCC1990

Greetings! As my name implies, I am a UCC grad of 1990 (and therefore ancient to most of you). :D I have lived in Canada for over 20 years and it is my permanent home. I have dual citizenship.

I am greatly disturbed by the economic and political shenanigans that are going on in Ireland. I remember being a young person in the 80s when there was talk of bringing in the IMF. Like many of you, I left (initially to the US) because I didn't see a future. But then Ireland got its act together and rocked for a while. In my opinion, a combination of lack of oversight, greed, corruption and incompetent leadership have led to the current disaster.

What I'm getting to is: I feel your pain. Some of you will stick around and help lead Ireland out of this mess. Some of you will go abroad for a while and learn that there is another way....and some will return and contribute to recovery.

Canada is a wonderful country to live in, though the weather can be a challenge. I see that most of you who are planning to come here are focusing on Toronto and Vancouver.....the two most costly places to live! Nowadays the Canadian economy is being driven by the West. At present the strongest job markets are in Alberta and Saskatchewan. Here are the current unemployment figures.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/unemployment-rates-across-canada/article1276023/

I spent one year living in Newfoundland, 20 in Manitoba and will be moving to British Columbia this year. I came here for a highly skilled job, I've worked hard, and have had wonderful opportunities. I'm now at the peak of my career and have a secure future and a national profile. All this without ever living in Toronto! So think outside the box, eh? :)

UCC1990 wrote: »
    Greetings! As my name implies, I am a UCC grad of 1990 (and therefore ancient to most of you). :D I have lived in Canada for over 20 years and it is my permanent home. I have dual citizenship.

I am greatly disturbed by the economic and political shenanigans that are going on in Ireland. I remember being a young person in the 80s when there was talk of bringing in the IMF. Like many of you, I left (initially to the US) because I didn't see a future. But then Ireland got its act together and rocked for a while. In my opinion, a combination of lack of oversight, greed, corruption and incompetent leadership have led to the current disaster.

What I'm getting to is: I feel your pain. Some of you will stick around and help lead Ireland out of this mess. Some of you will go abroad for a while and learn that there is another way....and some will return and contribute to recovery.

Canada is a wonderful country to live in, though the weather can be a challenge. I see that most of you who are planning to come here are focusing on Toronto and Vancouver.....the two most costly places to live! Nowadays the Canadian economy is being driven by the West. At present the strongest job markets are in Alberta and Saskatchewan. Here are the current unemployment figures.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/unemployment-rates-across-canada/article1276023/

I spent one year living in Newfoundland, 20 in Manitoba and will be moving to British Columbia this year. I came here for a highly skilled job, I've worked hard, and have had wonderful opportunities. I'm now at the peak of my career and have a secure future and a national profile. All this without ever living in Toronto! So think outside the box, eh? :)

Thanks I do agree with you, we need to think outside the box, Have you a more upto date unemployment figures as these were for August 2009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 UCC1990

Thanks UCC1990

oh very good!!! im wondering wheather or not to go or choose another place other than BC. as this is centre for biotech. but might be hard to get job. maby not sure.. i wonder could i get ... long term stay with science ... biotech...ha.. fat chance.. prob have to pay lots to E.lAWYER

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Teebco

Can I ask what was the time scale between posting your application and getting the first reply?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭LuckyG

Teebco wrote: »
    Can I ask what was the time scale between posting your application and getting the first reply?

2 days to arrive in Paris from ireland then you get the email the day after, so 3 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Lil Larry

Hi everyone....
    My name is Laura, Im 25, I'm from Cork and im moving to Vancouver in April..... Really interested in meeting other people that are moving to Vancouver too! I was there last October on holidays and I loved it...:)

celestial wrote: »
    So...with hopefully everyone who applied today getting a visa/confirmation, I thought it'd be good to kick off a thread on the when the what the where....

-Where do you plan to head to in Canada?

-When are ya going?

-What ya plan to do there?

I can start...

-I'm thinking Vancouver or Toronto but would like to check out other smaller places...

-Probably late summer

-Probably look to get a job then travel..

Going to be heading alone cos solo travel is the way forward!!
    ness23-37 wrote: »
    Hey!

Just got my visa place confirmed too..excited! Im planning on heading to Vancouver, have a friend from a previous travelling adventure from there. From what I hear, although night life isn't as good as toronto, it's got so much to do, especially if you're into active outdoorsy stuff. Plus you're right by the beach! Also i'll be there through the winter...and the mountains are so close for snowboarding!

Im heading in the early summer, probably late May to early June, or as soon as poss. Wanna get some nice weather in!

Hopefully work through the winter into early 2011 and then go travelling (if I have any money!!) at the end.

Would defo be interested in hooking up with other people heading to Vancouver, maybe even to look for somewhere to live cause I'm going alone too :)

Hey.. Im Laura... Heading to Vancouver in April, all going well with my visa application! I am def be interested in meeting new people too...I am going over to my boyfriend, whos on a 1 year work visa too but I wanna meet people outside just his friends... :)...
    Where is everybody from? I'm from Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭BangBeater

Lil Larry wrote: »
    Hey.. Im Laura... Heading to Vancouver in April, all going well with my visa application! I am def be interested in meeting new people too...I am going over to my boyfriend, whos on a 1 year work visa too but I wanna meet people outside just his friends... :)...
    Where is everybody from? I'm from Cork.

Yeah heading there too hopefully end March... Oh and from Cork too... :D

What's everyone doing for Health & Travel Insurance if not going through USIT?

BangBeater wrote: »
    Yeah heading there too hopefully end March... Oh and from Cork too... :D

What's everyone doing for Health & Travel Insurance if not going through USIT?

Hey! I was over there for 4 weeks last year and no one could understand what I was saying... haha :D so it would be great to know someone else that talks like me :) ....Are ya heading with a group or on your own?

I'm just going thru usit so I cant help ya there.. sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭louisejscott

Were heading to Toronto August it looks like if anyone else is heading there...CANNOT wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jeff33

Hi guys,

I'm also applying for U35 Canadian Visa direct through the website. But I filled out the application form which was very basic asking for name, date of birth, sex, status, location & Email. I sent this application & got a very basic computer print out reply & download Cert with ID Number. I haven't seen anywhere details in the application about Passport, current address or any forms relating to Bank Funds. Does anyone have any clear information on the online forms as I'm getting mixed messages on whats involved or required.:eek:

Thanks, best of luck to everyone applying.

Jeff.

Jeff33 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm also applying for U35 Canadian Visa direct through the website. But I filled out the application form which was very basic asking for name, date of birth, sex, status, location & Email. I sent this application & got a very basic computer print out reply & download Cert with ID Number. I haven't seen anywhere details in the application about Passport, current address or any forms relating to Bank Funds. Does anyone have any clear information on the online forms as I'm getting mixed messages on whats involved or required.:eek:

Thanks, best of luck to everyone applying.

Jeff.

Hi Jeff, When they email you the application kit, the second web link is what you have printed our, this page goes on top of all the forms, id etc. on the email you go there should be another web address just above the one you clicked on, this is the application kit download link.

Lil Larry wrote: »
    Hey! I was over there for 4 weeks last year and no one could understand what I was saying... haha :D so it would be great to know someone else that talks like me :) ....Are ya heading with a group or on your own?

I'm just going thru usit so I cant help ya there.. sorry!

Savage... Probably heading to one of the friends in Vancouver initially anyway and see how it goes from there.

I should have applied for the visa vefore xmas... This waiting around is a bit annoying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭louisejscott

tell me about it just rang bout my garda cert n it turns out my local station left my application sitting there for over a week before they sent it to the disrict office:mad:...thats all I'm waiting for to apply

tell me about it just rang bout my garda cert n it turns out my local station left my application sitting there for over a week before they sent it to the disrict office:mad:...thats all I'm waiting for to apply

I know... I was sent away from my local garda station initially... *face slap*... what's the total cost through usit?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jeff33

Thanks Ronan,

Yeah I got the reply Email from the Canadian Application. On the Email was 2 links, the top link was to bring you through to the application kit. I clicked through on that link & it went into adobe, but the information was the info I had filled in on the intitial form & it was in basic text.There was no other forms attached to the top link on the Email. The second link further down in the Email opened up a Download Cert with my details & a ID Number. It states that the Download Cert is the cover page for the application, but the other application kit form looks very basic. Is it just a case I attach a photocopy of my Passport, 2 Passport photos, copy of my Bank Balance stamped by the Bank & a Garda Cert which Im in the process of getting. Head fried from trying to get this right & the website is vague on what is exactly required to be sent to Paris. Help!!

• Advertisement

BangBeater wrote: »
    Savage... Probably heading to one of the friends in Vancouver initially anyway and see how it goes from there.

I should have applied for the visa vefore xmas... This waiting around is a bit annoying!

Ya I'm sorta the same... Id say the earliest I can go is the end of April, which sucks!! Cos I havent even got my garda clearance yet... Im all un-organised :D....
    Have you got a job lined up?

Advertisement