Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭louisejscott

Nope my boyfriend in interviewing cause he went back to college so it's easier, I've been told cause it's only 2 week notice in Canada no one will consider me til im there (I'm 2 months notice where I am now), so I'm hoping he'll get a job before we go so at least one of us will be employed and I'm gonna look when I get there- we have a mortgage etc here so one of us needs to be working. Is there a big delay on visas I thought once you submitted everything it should only be a few weeks and then you can go when you want as long as it's before 31 Jan 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 purple27

I'm Irish living in Toronto for a long while now, here's some advice on this new visa system, I'm an hold hand at dealing with visas at this stage!
    OKAY, you're saving money, don't bother give it to USIT. The change for 2011 is simple: for the first time Irish people just like the Brits can apply directly to the canada immigration folks, not to the USIT third body, where you're charged ridiculous prices.
    Breakdown of USIT fees:
    1. €299 is their 'handling and processing fee'
    2. €110 is the visa fee by the canadian immigration folks.
    3. €800 or so, You have to book your flight through USIT which they take a nice profit from.
    4. €400 Insurance through USIT - you have to buy their insurance.

Breakdown of Costs applying straight to Canada Immigration in France:
    1. €110 is the cost of the paperwork. You only pay this when your visa forms are going to be accepted. - i.e. they don't reserve a place for you.
    2. €600 You can buy really cheap flights yourself using whatever airlines you want - tip: don't fly through US - customs are evil!
    3. €300 or so for any insurance you want to go with once it covers you for one year.

What is USIT offering? ... You can still get cheap accommodation and access to SWAP (the USIT type version in Canada) who give you an orientation meeting, tips, access to cheap/discounted hostels etc. So really SWAP give you nothing. I went with them first time round - retardly expensive.

If you're booking your flights and insurance with USIT then the €299 comes off the price of them. So for the prices you just gave, there isn't a HUGE difference. I'm willing to pay the €300 to make sure I do everything correctly! And I've paid it so far in advance that I doubt I'll miss it too much when I'm booking my flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Lil Larry

Nope my boyfriend in interviewing cause he went back to college so it's easier, I've been told cause it's only 2 week notice in Canada no one will consider me til im there (I'm 2 months notice where I am now), so I'm hoping he'll get a job before we go so at least one of us will be employed and I'm gonna look when I get there- we have a mortgage etc here so one of us needs to be working. Is there a big delay on visas I thought once you submitted everything it should only be a few weeks and then you can go when you want as long as it's before 31 Jan 2012.

Hey Louise... I sorta feel your pain a little bit... Im leaving here with a fairly big loan too so its a bit daunting and Im hoping I will find a job asap over there so I can pay my bills here....

My boyfriend is already there since oct 10 and he found a job the day after he arrived... He did send out about 100 cvs before he went tho....

Usit told me Id be waiting between 8 & 12 weeks for the approval to come back from the canadian embassy so I'm stuck here til april anyway Id say

I've quite a few friends who got jobs easy enough once they got out there, again they sent out CV's in advance. I've got a bit of feedback and numbers to ring from approaching companies directly as recruiters tend not to go the extra mile that you would so depending on your industry it might be worth some time on google getting company names and approaching them.

Did you go through USIT are they much more expensive? and do they do much else for your extra money?

Sure worst case scenario we can both default on our loans...don't think I'll be making any big purchases in the next few years anyhow so why worry bout the credit rating!:p

I've quite a few friends who got jobs easy enough once they got out there, again they sent out CV's in advance. I've got a bit of feedback and numbers to ring from approaching companies directly as recruiters tend not to go the extra mile that you would so depending on your industry it might be worth some time on google getting company names and approaching them.

Did you go through USIT are they much more expensive? and do they do much else for your extra money?

Sure worst case scenario we can both default on our loans...don't think I'll be making any big purchases in the next few years anyhow so why worry bout the credit rating!:p

Ya I will def start looking afew weeks before I go over... See whats out there but Im not fussy as long as it pays the bills :)

Ya I went thru usit...I didnt know there was another way??? :confused: ...my bf went that way last year and it seemed pretty painless so I just did the same really... I prob shoulda done more research cause money is so scarce a cheaper way would have been better!!

Haha... wouldnt it be grand!!! Start afresh again :D.... I know, im a bit of a shopaholic... seeing all those lovely shops over there and having no money to buy anything... haha... I will have to go window shopping :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Purtellg

Hi All,

Heading to Toronto on saturday at 9:45 am , if anybody else is heading around that time let me know. It be nice to have a few irish contacts in the big city :D

Graham

You lucky thing heading saturday!!! Im jealous :) ...im heading to vancouver in april/may.... Laura

you should try Irish aliens website- It's specific to Toronto.

Lil Larry wrote: »
    You lucky thing heading saturday!!! Im jealous :) ...im heading to vancouver in april/may.... Laura

Its been a long time coming though, Started the whole process in August . Cant wait now though :D

Graham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ronan2505

Jeff33 wrote: »
    Thanks Ronan,

Yeah I got the reply Email from the Canadian Application. On the Email was 2 links, the top link was to bring you through to the application kit. I clicked through on that link & it went into adobe, but the information was the info I had filled in on the intitial form & it was in basic text.There was no other forms attached to the top link on the Email. The second link further down in the Email opened up a Download Cert with my details & a ID Number. It states that the Download Cert is the cover page for the application, but the other application kit form looks very basic. Is it just a case I attach a photocopy of my Passport, 2 Passport photos, copy of my Bank Balance stamped by the Bank & a Garda Cert which Im in the process of getting. Head fried from trying to get this right & the website is vague on what is exactly required to be sent to Paris. Help!!

The Adobe PDF is the Application Kit, it is 17 Pages long. The first 3 pages are the application,

Each page is this

1 - 3 Application
    4 - 5 Declaration Form, tick each box after you read it and sign and date it
    6 - 11 Instructions etc
    12 Proof of funds form which the bank needs to fill out and sign and stamp it
    13 Third party proof of funds, only do this if a third party is your guarantor
    14 - 16 Visa application part, fill out, sign and date it
    17 Checklist, THis tells you in what order the forms have to go in when you post to Paris, Also check each box as you go

Once you have everything ready re-check everything

Go and get the garda cert today, that varies on the station from what I can gather

You will need 2 passport photos, these are stapled to page 1

A copy of your passport is also needed

Hope that helps mate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Jeff33

Thanks Ronan,

That makes it alot clearer for me. I must be having a problem with my application as I haven't been able to download that Adobe 17 page application for some reason. Has anyone else had that problem. Any suggestions??:confused:

Purtellg wrote: »
    Its been a long time coming though, Started the whole process in August . Cant wait now though :D

Graham

Jaysus !! You have had along wait so.... Would love to be ya tho... I have another 3 months at least.... Im wishing my life away :D haha....:D

Jeff33 wrote: »
    Thanks Ronan,

That makes it alot clearer for me. I must be having a problem with my application as I haven't been able to download that Adobe 17 page application for some reason. Has anyone else had that problem. Any suggestions??:confused:

Jeff, why dont you just start from the start again and get a new email from them,

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jeff33

Will do, thanks for the heads up Ronan. It's a bit stressfull trying to work through the process when your doing it for the first time on your own, as you dont know If your doing it right. But thanks for the advice Ronan, really appreciated. Are you applying for this year. I guess from your calm approach, you have it filled in & sent off. Will keep you posted.

Thanks again.

Lil Larry wrote: »
    Jaysus !! You have had along wait so.... Would love to be ya tho... I have another 3 months at least.... Im wishing my life away :D haha....:D

Ah i got my visa in about 6 weeks , Just the saving bit that took a while :(

In fairness the time flew by , hopefully it will for you too :D

Graham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

hi guys,
    just wondering
    How much does it cost in total?
    &
    When does the fee have to be paid? ... soon as I apply to proceed with application? or when fully processed down the line?

thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

LighterGuy wrote: »
    hi guys,
    just wondering
    How much does it cost in total?
    &
    When does the fee have to be paid? ... soon as I apply to proceed with application? or when fully processed down the line?

thanks.
    Are you applying through usit or direct through the IEC?

The IEC cost ~110 euro and is paid once the visa is granted I believe

Sorry just saw that you said usit in the subject, not so sure about the cost but we had to pay the full thing upfront last year.

Maybe someone who is going Usit this year can confirm if it's still the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Thanks guys.
    Well I was thinking Usit. But have heard others do the same. Cheaper too.

So 110 euro for the visa with this IEC place?

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Thanks guys.
    Well I was thinking Usit. But have heard others do the same. Cheaper too.

So 110 euro for the visa with this IEC place?

Yep the "place" being direct to the Embassy

Have a read of this

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx?lang=eng

http://www.usit.ie/work-abroad/canada/work-and-travel-canada-2011/book-now

There's what they offer, wouldn't get hugely excited about the free package, tbh but each to their own

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 RyanNolan

I keep getting the following message after i complete my credit card details:

An error may occur for several reasons :

You may have entered your card number, expiry date and/or CVV number incorrectly.
    Your card may not have sufficient funds available to complete the transaction.
    Your card issuer may have placed a "referral" on your card account.
    A general error may have occurred while trying to save your details

Id say i've gone back and re-entered the details over 50 times and i keep getting this!! Anyone know whats going on??

RyanNolan wrote: »
    I keep getting the following message after i complete my credit card details:

An error may occur for several reasons :

You may have entered your card number, expiry date and/or CVV number incorrectly.
    Your card may not have sufficient funds available to complete the transaction.
    Your card issuer may have placed a "referral" on your card account.
    A general error may have occurred while trying to save your details

Id say i've gone back and re-entered the details over 50 times and i keep getting this!! Anyone know whats going on??

Check with the credit card provider that card hasn't expired or hasn't actually ever gone through
    Try clearing your cookies and maybe try using a different browser?

If this is on the usit site might be worth a call to them to see if they have had any other reports

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭gambit83

one of the questions on the applications forms is:
    "Have you or any member of your family ever:
    Been treated for any serious physical or mental disorders or any communicable or chronic diseases?"
    i had the mumps a few years ago - will this stop me getting a visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭gambit83

Been treated for any serious physical or mental disorders or any communicable or chronic diseases?"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Anyone know how to get the reference number that was on the download certificate?
    Ive sent mine already, and its been received, so i cant access the download cert any more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

gambit83 wrote: »

no, i wouldnt even put that in

had the mumps myself years ago

My bf and I are both applying for the IEC and under Canadian law we are common-law- so do we complete common law or do we leave it blank as we are both applying so that we can both work?

retalivity wrote: »
    Anyone know how to get the reference number that was on the download certificate?
    Ive sent mine already, and its been received, so i cant access the download cert any more

Have you still got the original email with the links on it? If so just click the second link and it will bring it up again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 RyanNolan

Just booked my visa for canada 2011!!

Would anyone have a rough estimate of the breakdown in the cost of flights, insurance etc..

• Advertisement

Where and when are you flying to?
    Insurance for me and wife last year was about 469 Euro for me and my wife

Advertisement