Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

If I have just finished college and I am not a "working professional" in my area, can I apply for the program (I do have a job though)? I tried to google this but finding up to date eligibility information is difficult. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Valmont wrote: »
    If I have just finished college and I am not a "working professional" in my area, can I apply for the program (I do have a job though)? I tried to google this but finding up to date eligibility information is difficult. Thanks.

Presuming you're under 35, anybody qualifies for the 1 year working holiday visa, regardless of education or employment status.

The only complications arise if you are looking to work in areas such as child care or medical facilities etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Presuming you're under 35, anybody qualifies for the 1 year working holiday visa, regardless of education or employment status.

The only complications arise if you are looking to work in areas such as child care or medical facilities etc.

I dunno about 'anybody' you send a resume and need the Garda clearance too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 CharlieBabe

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/work-travail/ym_uk-mj_ru.aspx?lang=eng#b

General Working Holiday Programme

Applicants must: be citizens of and resident in the United Kingdom; be aged between 18 and 30 (inclusive); have sufficient funds for their maintenance during their initial period of stay in Canada; have a clean criminal record. Please submit a police certificate for every country you have resided in for more than six months since turning 18 years of age; the certificate will be retained for our records; have no dependents; pay the program participation fee of £90 (equivalent to $150 Canadian)

Thats what was in that link, says nothing about Irish citizens...?

When are the 2010 visas coming out? Myself and my boyfriend are headin in March/April

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 bridie27

hey,

i went down that route of CHC in london and emailed them, the website is quite misleading and confusing. irish peolple must apply through usit although they will be sent to CHC in london to be processed, the major difference is that the english dont have to pay as much as the irish, disgrace!!!

dunno about open date , i rang usit and they dont know, the waiting to be given places by CHC then it will advertise

ails

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

i wonder when it will be. i emailed this morning asking and just got a reply. i hope its after christmas now or everyone is going to get €2 gifts from euro 2 this christmas :p
    Thank you for your email. We cannot actually advise at present as we are still waiting on full programme confirmation. Once the information is available, everyone will be advised accordingly and the information will be published on our website.
    Kind regards,

i hope so too as i live in the uk and i need some notice!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭amber23

hey guys, waiting to get a visa myself for 2010, thought they would be out today but havent heard a word from USIT! so frustrating!! someone above mentioned January, how do you know that? and how come it is later than last years? they were out on the 8th of December last year

anyways, hopefully it will be soon, cant wait to go!

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 37 irishguy34

Hi IrishGuy, if you're coming over to Canada by yourself I'd strongly recommend a hostel rather than a hotel.

I spent a few weeks in a hostel when I got here, and had an absolute blast. Met loads of people who are here to work & travel for a year or two, and in my opinion its the best way to make some new friends and network when you first arrive.

Even if you're not too keen on shared accommodation, pretty much all hostels have a few private bedrooms. And you'll always find someone to talk to in the hostel common areas! But in a hotel, ya might get a bit lonely :pac:

Anyway just my 2 cents, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Cheers for that any chance you could reccomend a hostel?

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

You could try the Cambie, heard nothing but good things.

http://www.thecambie.com/v2/

• Advertisement

colin29 wrote: »
    You could try the Cambie, heard nothing but good things.

http://www.thecambie.com/v2/

Cheers
    Colin,

I presume your Irish? if so whats the social scene like over there?

irishguy34 wrote: »
    Cheers
    Colin,

I presume your Irish? if so whats the social scene like over there?

Originally from Cork, moved here just over two years ago.
    Social scene is grand, lots of Friendly people, not hard to get talking to people in pubs, you'll definitely find something you're into, pubs/bars here are a bit **** to be honest, most sell as much if not more food than beer etc, I hate the old waiter/waitress thing as I am quite capable of going to the bar myself, nothing like a local to be found anywhere, I generally go to Doolins as I can get a pint of Murphys there.
    The weather is starting to get cold so do come prepared, last year was a crappy winter, way too much snow for the city to handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

what sort of clothes should we bring.A big jacket boots gloves etc.I ll be bring over about 4k euro would that be enough to get started over there?

colin29 wrote: »
    Originally from Cork, moved here just over two years ago.
    Social scene is grand, lots of Friendly people, not hard to get talking to people in pubs, you'll definitely find something you're into, pubs/bars here are a bit **** to be honest, most sell as much if not more food than beer etc, I hate the old waiter/waitress thing as I am quite capable of going to the bar myself, nothing like a local to be found anywhere, I generally go to Doolins as I can get a pint of Murphys there.
    The weather is starting to get cold so do come prepared, last year was a crappy winter, way too much snow for the city to handle.

Colin,
    Is it difficult to get sponsorship or to stay longer?>
    whats the canadian women like are they into the old OIRISH crap?

cheers for info

what sort of clothes should we bring.A big jacket boots gloves etc.I ll be bring over about 4k euro would that be enough to get started over there?
    I am headin over in 3 weeks and was up in TKMAX got a lot of winter jackets that are perfect for Canada for 60 euro good and cheap.

when are you headin?

Heading to Toronto in 3 weeks for the year.Ill be bring 4k you think thats enough.What tk maxx where you in.Might head to the one in Galway next week.

A good jacket, gloves and a hat and you're good to go, that's pretty much all I use on top of jeans and a t-shirt/jumper, I bought a decent jacket here for $100 in Sportscheck, I can take out the inside and use that when it's not so cold.
    Toronto will be cold, you will probably want snow boots aswell, you can get them in Toronto for not alot of money.

Regarding Irishguy, I was sponsored by my Canadian wife so I had it easy, if you get a good job and your bosses like you then it may be a route to go down being sponsored by them, I think there's alot of work involved but it's possible, also if you are sponsored by a company your visa ties you to that company and if you get laid off or fired before you get permanent residency your visa will be terminated and you will have to leave the country.
    Canadian women are nice creatures just don't force the Irish thing on 'em, you'll often get the "I love your accent" from them, there's alot of immigrants living here who have no idea where Ireland is, quite often I'm asked if I'm English.
    You may find yourself having to tone down the accent, I have a strong Cork accent and have to tone it down quite abit when in shops and such.

Heading to Toronto in 3 weeks for the year.Ill be bring 4k you think thats enough.What tk maxx where you in.Might head to the one in Galway next week.

4 k is plenty I have done a load of research so gonna hit a hostel for a month.
    I will keep in contact with u so if u head to Van drop me line
    Mick.

no probelem might go over to van after the winter olypics.What do you mean by research.I have checked out craigslist and have a good idea what ill be doing.Staying in a hostel for aweek first any how and looking for work and house after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mooch001

so it didnt open at 10am on monday the 8th as the site states:(does anyone know what the story is?
    someone above said they got there visa,were you referring to the 2009 visas when you got it last year?
    if anyone out there has managed to actually apply for a visa for 2010 can you please let me know how??????????i cant get any further than on mailing list.
    whats this about waiting lists,is that referring to 2009 yeah?
    please help.ahhhh:confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement

this link doesnt work!

hey dont worry, the 2010 visas havent been released yet! december the 8th was for the 2009 visas last year, the date for the 2010 visas hasnt been set yet

the 2010 waiting list is probably what you have subscribed to, it means you will get notified when they are being released

hope this helped!

c dog hi!!!
    how are you going in march,did you get a 2009 visa?:)

sorry, just realized you said waiting list as opposed to mailing list, yes this is referring to the 2009 visas, which are no longer available.

it just means if any cancellations come up, you might be lucky enough to get an 09 visa, but its not guaranteed!

sorry for the confusion.

cheers amber.im just going crazy!its so expensive with usit ud think itd be easy to sort out!

i know, its so frustrating waiting isnt it?? im waiting for the 2010 visa too, i thought we would have found out by now but no sign. im sure it will be soon though so just keep checking your emails :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

bridie27 wrote: »
    i hope so too as i live in the uk and i need some notice!!!

You have to be resident in Ireland to apply for the program. Do they know you live in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

irishguy34 wrote: »
    Cheers for that any chance you could reccomend a hostel?

Mick

I stayed in the HI Hostel on Granville Street and in the Samesun Hostel, which are across the street from each other, both were pretty good. Samesun has a nice little bar in it.

hey,

yep i do ill move back when the programme opens, i have quite flexible work and living arrangments so if it opened next week i could just go.. i just want to know when it opens so i can plan a bit better!!!v frustrating

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

This time last year USIT were taking applications for the 2009.....
    At this rate I doubt we will hear anything this side of christmas for the 2010.... :S

Advertisement