Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stammering Awareness Day, Saturday 17th October, 2009 - Dublin

Options
  • 30-07-2009 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Just to inform everybody...the Stammering Awareness Day is on Saturday 17th October this year!!!
    It's taking place at The Wynns Hotel again in Dublin...I would assume with a 9:30am-ish start...though not sure!!!
    Was superb last year...so expect another great day again!!!
    Free of course...so stammerers, speech therapists or family and friends of stammerers have no excuse not to be there!!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

Paul4As wrote: »
    Just to inform everybody...the Stammering Awareness Day is on Saturday 17th October this year!!!
    It's taking place at The Wynns Hotel again in Dublin...I would assume with a 9:30am-ish start...though not sure!!!
    Was superb last year...so expect another great day again!!!
    Free of course...so stammerers, speech therapists or family and friends of stammerers have no excuse not to be there!!! :)

hi there, this sounds great, just wondering if ya need to sign up for it or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

You just turn up on the day...no pre-registering or anything!!! Usually on from 9:30am til about 5pm...but you can come and go as you like!!!
    You get handed a programme when you go in...so any presentations you don't fancy you can just leave the room!!! There are opportunities to ask questions after presentations and mingle with fellow stammerers and speech therapists!!!
    Really worthwhile day for all stammerers!!! I leave Belfast at about 6:30am just to get down to it!!! Great to see familiar faces from the stammering community...you get a lot of people who have been on Patmar, Maguire or the Dublin course DAS (I think you call it that!!!) attending!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

Paul4As wrote: »
    You just turn up on the day...no pre-registering or anything!!! Usually on from 9:30am til about 5pm...but you can come and go as you like!!!
    You get handed a programme when you go in...so any presentations you don't fancy you can just leave the room!!! There are opportunities to ask questions after presentations and mingle with fellow stammerers and speech therapists!!!
    Really worthwhile day for all stammerers!!! I leave Belfast at about 6:30am just to get down to it!!! Great to see familiar faces from the stammering community...you get a lot of people who have been on Patmar, Maguire or the Dublin course DAS (I think you call it that!!!) attending!!!

great thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Hey Paul
    Thanks for the info. Looking forward to another great day. I think I'll pass on the presentation this year. Just sit back and relax instead.
    How's married life treating you? :D

Stephen...maried life is great...especially when you only see the other half at weekends!!! :) Hope you're not filing for a divorce just yet!!! We can compare wedding notes so at The Wynns!!!
    So you're bottling out of a speaking situation by not presenting at The Awareness Day this year!!! :)
    It'll be interesting to know who the keynote speaker is...hopefully it'll be more of the same as last October...only re-jigged...as much as we want it to be as superb as it was last year...we don't want the same presentations by the same speakers!!!..deja vu and all that!!!...which I suppose is probably a valid excuse for you stepping aside!!! :p And here's me looking forward to heckling you!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Only weekends? You must tell me your secret haha :)
    I may do it yet, haven't been asked anyway. I did the same presentation the last 2 years. If I did it again I'd have to take a different angle on it. I'll see anyway. It will be good to catch up with everyone on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Looking forward to this. Have missed the last two due to work so going to pull out all the stops to attend this.

Still no word on the Irish Stammering Association website regarding the Awareness Day...BUT it is definitely happening on the 17th October!!! :D
    I do however see on the website there is to be an ISA Conference Day in early 2010 with workshops etc.!!! Sounds interesting!!!
    All good if you have a stammer!!! :D

I see The Awareness Day is being "advertised" on the Maguire Programme Irish website for the date and venue as mentioned above!!!
    A keynote speaker is to be Joe O'Donnell who is a regional director with the Maguire Programme.
    The day is to be sponsored by an ex-Maguire graduate's book's profits...so no entry fee which is good!!!
    My only concern is hopefully it desn't become a Maguire Programme slanted day...I use the example of an outdoor gig to explain myself...at times these are often sponsored by a particular alcoholic beverage...when you attend them the only tipple you can order is that of the sponsors...know what I mean!!! :)
    Hopefully the organisers will be aware of that issue amongst attendees like myself...and all therapies and avenues for stammering support are covered equally!!!

PS. I must point out that I am not anti the Maguire Programme...it does I agree change a lot of peoples lives with its particular style of therapy!!!

So who on this forum will be at The Wynns Hotel on Saturday 17th October??!:D
    I can't wait...a full day dedicated to something that I can claim to be one of the 1% best in the world at...stammering!!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Jesus, I hope Mc Guire dont try and hijack the day! :eek: I will be there myself.

I see its finally been avertised on the ISA site:

National Stammering Awareness Day – 17th October, 2009, Dublin
    22nd October sees International Stuttering Awareness Day (ISAD) celebrated each year.

An online conference takes place at www.stutteringhomepage.com.

Irish Stammering Association is proud to be involved with National Stammering Awareness Day in Ireland which will take place on Saturday 17th October in Wynn’s Hotel, Lower Abbey Street, Dublin.

The theme of 2009’s International Stuttering Awareness Day is ‘Stuttering: More Than a Tangled Tongue’. The theme reminds us all that stuttering can have a massive impact on people’s lives, more than merely having blocks, repetitions or avoiding.

ISAD is also about making other people more aware of people who stammer, and the effects of this often puzzling condition. Download a brochure on ISAD here to give you ideas about what you can do and perhaps to share information with others at home, at work, or in school or college.

National Stammering Awareness Day is open to all and free of charge to attend.

Programme details and keynote speakers will be given closer to the time

We look forward to seeing you there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 stutelle

Hi everyone, looking forward to the awareness day too. I hope the day will be as varied as last year and the theme gives lots of scope for discussion.
    See you all there

Good to see the the keynote speakers for the Stammering Awareness Day being posted up on another thread!!!
    I see there is a representative from the HSE who is doing a presentation on positive mental health!!! Very important...and I look forward to his speech...but it is a shame no "top ranking official" from the speech therapy side of the HSE is there to talk about current and future speech therapy provision!!!
    Still no specific time on Saturday 17th October mentioned for the start of the Awareness Day on the ISA website, Maguire website or on the other thread...I guess its 9:30am again like last year!!!

Yeh, good to see some of the lineup. I assume it is 9:30 - 5, the same as last year.
    I think the post from Michael O' Shea only went up this morning so I am sure the ISA site, McGuire site etc will be up updated in the next couple of days.

I think the topic is going to be very interesting because as a covert having a tangled tongue is the least of my worries, dealing with all the feelings & emotions is a far bigger issue for me.
    I'm hoping there will be some good open discussion and that backbiting will be kept to a minimum.
    I've heard there will a good representation from speech therapists there, let's hope so
    anyway, looking forward to the day

3 of us from Northern Ireland are coming down (2 from the Belfast Self-Help Group)...another mate is coming down from Letterkenny (he attends the Letterkenny Self-Help Group)...where is everybody else coming from??? Any members of other self-help groups attending???

there'll be a few of us from the Dublin group, I think some people are coming from Galway, don't know about anyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Michael O Shea

Sorry I did not post the start time, yes it is 9.30am and finish 5.30pm, there will be SLTs attending, both Speech and language therapy organisations have been invited, as they were the previous two years. If there is any other organisations that you think should be invited please let us know.
    Speak soon,
    Michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Michael O Shea

Forgot to say that four or five will be there from the ISA Waterford support Group.
    Speak soon,
    Michael.

Thanks Michael for confirmation of the time, looking forward to the day and thanks for your inclusive notice, it is what we need in the stammering community

Advertisement